Author Topic: Big Ro's fat ass squatting  (Read 14730 times)

Schnauzer

• Getbig V
Re: Big Ro's fat ass squatting
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2014, 09:02:45 AM »
I occasionally do Zercher squats (but not as heavy as this guy). 315 for reps is brutal.

[ Invalid YouTube link ]

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2014, 09:06:09 AM »
westside  ::)

this is gonna end up with you squatting a ton of weight and having relatively low returns on the area you want to develop

loui simmons even said it himself that the way to squat maximal weights does very little for quad development around the knee, it's more around the hips and ass

louie simmons said that "the guys with the most impressive development close to the knees are the worst squatters"

so there you go

west side will transform you in a human fork lift

high bar deep squats with a moderate weight and impeccable form is much more beneficial for abodybuilder

AT LEAST THOSE ARE MY SENTIMENTS, TRULY INDEED

I agree. I was just working with the Westside guys because a.) I had access and b.) I used to think a HAD TO squat.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2014, 09:08:44 AM »

this is gonna end up with you squatting a ton of weight and having relatively low returns on the area you want to develop

loui simmons even said it himself that the way to squat maximal weights does very little for quad development around the knee, it's more around the hips and ass

louie simmons said that "the guys with the most impressive development close to the knees are the worst squatters"

so there you go

high bar deep squats with a moderate weight and impeccable form is much more beneficial for abodybuilder

Development isn't everyone's primary goal.  Athletic performance is helped with this style of training.   But yes, I still mix in other forms of squatting - split squats, front squats, etc...
Y

Schnauzer

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2014, 09:09:02 AM »
looks like a great way to destroy your spine

No more so than back squats

Schnauzer

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2014, 09:14:03 AM »
did you not see the crazy movement he was doing lol

I do back squats and Zercher squats. Neither will "destroy your spine" if performed correctly. You should try an exercise before criticizing it.

Ronnie Rep

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2014, 09:19:15 AM »
It always amazes me how spoiled we are in the USA with our gyms.  Remember watching the great Doz's training video and amazed at how small his gym was and the shit hours that they were open.  Here we have Golds, Powerhouse, World, that are the size of a warehouse and open 24/7.  Ro looking swole maybe the gym looks small because he's so big. 
I made my best gains in a small personal training gym!

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2014, 09:21:04 AM »

so there you go

04:45

You forgot that they do suited squats, the mechanics are completely different. Training for maximal raw strength will hit quads hard, it's impossible not to. The westside guys stand ridiculously wide and sit back, you "can't" squat like that raw. And you will not hit any kind of below parallel like that.

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2014, 09:26:30 AM »
Loose the do-rag Home Slice.
Loose the towel on the bar.
Change the god damn radio station. >:(

Excellent quads. Carry on.

a

BigRo

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Mystical Manspreading
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2014, 09:29:53 AM »
do rag home slice?

I will keep the towel and keep my upper spine happy

thought that tune was decent

:)

Skorp1o

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2014, 09:32:20 AM »
I always end up hurting my back squatting, never again, I have had an MRI last December, I have bulging discs L4 &5.

Not putting a bar across my shoulders ever agin.

Ouch, does it give you much grief nowadays still?
S

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2014, 09:35:00 AM »
so it's still true that narrow high bar squats are best right? (for bodybuilding)

Yeah, though genetics determine most everything in bb. :D If you have the genetics any kind of squats will probably work great. You have great quads... so what's the secret? Or maybe the ones with a great bodypart are the worst people to ask for advice on that particular bodypart? :D

B_B_C

• Getbig IV
  • change is the lot of all
« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2014, 09:38:38 AM »
do rag home slice?

I will keep the towel and keep my upper spine happy

thought that tune was decent

:)

I dont know about the dorag
but
perhaps thinning the towel might keep you in closer touch with the bar and tell you quicker when it is overloaded for that moment in time. I used to use a towel but it assisted the temptation to keep the bar too high up the spine when I realy ought to have been resting it on the upper traps. Not having a towel also got me to be more aware of how I was gripping the bar rather than delegate that responsibility to a towel. As I am sure you already know the absolute weight lifted, no matter how satisfying to have achieved is only a part in the whole movement.   Have you considered building your self a powerframe at home?  old ESB poles are great for this
c

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2014, 09:41:41 AM »
I need a do-rag.

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2014, 09:43:55 AM »
home or take away?
sliced or diced?

Home, pls.

BigRo

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Mystical Manspreading
« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2014, 09:48:58 AM »
I dont know about the dorag
but
perhaps thinning the towel might keep you in closer touch with the bar and tell you quicker when it is overloaded for that moment in time. I used to use a towel but it assisted the temptation to keep the bar too high up the spine when I realy ought to have been resting it on the upper traps. Not having a towel also got me to be more aware of how I was gripping the bar rather than delegate that responsibility to a towel. As I am sure you already know the absolute weight lifted, no matter how satisfying to have achieved is only a part in the whole movement.   Have you considered building your self a powerframe at home?  old ESB poles are great for this

If my shoulders are loose it is easier to do it with the naked bar but I am mindful always of its placing on my back and my grip too. I train in a bigger and better gym 20miles away with power rack.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2014, 09:53:10 AM »
It always amazes me how spoiled we are in the USA with our gyms.  Remember watching the great Doz's training video and amazed at how small his gym was and the shit hours that they were open.  Here we have Golds, Powerhouse, World, that are the size of a warehouse and open 24/7.  Ro looking swole maybe the gym looks small because he's so big.  

MOS did some of his nastiest work in this little place for several years.  Place smelled of rust, iron and sweat.....produced some big powerful folks.

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2014, 10:05:17 AM »
this is december 2011 where i was lifetime natural. at this point only thing i ever did for legs was high bar full squats, 3-5 reps

i got scared of breaking my back so didnt squat again after juicing up

Those are some excellent quads. So in your case the secret was squats only in the "powerlifting" rep range. Who said low rep squatting doesn't build quads?

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2014, 10:08:19 AM »
This is OT but anyone here try barbell hack squats? I tried it for fun a couple of times last week, pulled 600lbs.

Like this

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2014, 10:11:25 AM »
Working with the Westside guys, they are all about squatting to a box. The "sit back" motor patterns certainly help, but I am a tall, lanky guy with a weak low back from constant injury. Baby steps. Meanwhile, I like split-squats and lunges (no homo).

I think these guys are bullshitting you, but let me know if, in a year or two, it's actually helped.

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2014, 10:19:47 AM »
i think no one is arguing with effectiveness

only with risks

putting all that weight on your spine cant be good  :-X i mean what if the spine is not entirely straight to begin with

It's not completely safe but what is? And there will be wear and tear over time even if there is no acute injury. But then again those who don't load their spine at all also end up with bad backs... happens all the time. Doing some squats and deadlifts might protect against a bad backs simply because the muscculature is strong enough to handle daily sedentary activities without breaking down due to weakness.

The people I know with the worst back problems never squat or deadlift.

I  know I start getting sciatica and back pain if I stop deadlifting and squatting. I have to keep training to keep the back from acting up.

Simple Simon

« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2014, 10:21:22 AM »
I have fully herniated L4&5

I feel for you, mines bad enough.

WalterWhite

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2014, 10:41:02 AM »
It always amazes me how spoiled we are in the USA with our gyms.  Remember watching the great Doz's training video and amazed at how small his gym was and the shit hours that they were open.  Here we have Golds, Powerhouse, World, that are the size of a warehouse and open 24/7.  Ro looking swole maybe the gym looks small because he's so big. 

We are spoiled! One gym I go to is 17k sq ft and the other is over 10k.

Simple Simon

« Reply #47 on: March 30, 2014, 10:51:17 AM »

We are spoiled! One gym I go to is 17k sq ft and the other is over 10k.

Yet you still have a girls hands.

PS Sorry, thought you were whitewidow.  :-[  ;D

WalterWhite

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: March 30, 2014, 11:38:42 AM »
Yet you still have a girls hands.

PS Sorry, thought you were whitewidow.  :-[  ;D

Haha we have the same initials.  I do moisturize often.  ;)

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: March 30, 2014, 11:50:53 AM »
You forgot that they do suited squats, the mechanics are completely different. Training for maximal raw strength will hit quads hard, it's impossible not to. The westside guys stand ridiculously wide and sit back, you "can't" squat like that raw. And you will not hit any kind of below parallel like that.

Exactly. It's nice to read commentary from folks who know something about that which they speak.

"Sitting back" is a great thought, and applicable, to some degree, for every squatter, but for the non-suited, non-mono-lifting, non-super-wide-stance trainer, that application will be much less pronounced.

As said above, a very strong squatter, one who does the movement raw (or without a suit, at least), will almost always have impressive quad/low-quad development.

As usual, Louie speaks only in terms only 100 percent applicable to his club and how he and his athletes perform exercises.

(Also make note that he believes drug-free lifting is a waste of time. Oh brother.)

For all he and his club have done for powerlifting, they have have also wounded the sport in equal measure.