Author Topic: Big Ro's fat ass squatting  (Read 14727 times)

Fortress

• Getbig V
Re: Big Ro's fat ass squatting
« Reply #50 on: March 30, 2014, 11:52:29 AM »
It's not completely safe but what is? And there will be wear and tear over time even if there is no acute injury. But then again those who don't load their spine at all also end up with bad backs... happens all the time. Doing some squats and deadlifts might protect against a bad backs simply because the muscculature is strong enough to handle daily sedentary activities without breaking down due to weakness.

The people I know with the worst back problems never squat or deadlift.

I  know I start getting sciatica and back pain if I stop deadlifting and squatting. I have to keep training to keep the back from acting up.

Gee, I like you, man (no homo, ha, ha). You know the deal.

SuperTed

• Getbig V
  • Rebirth
« Reply #51 on: March 30, 2014, 11:55:37 AM »
Gee, I like you, man (no homo, ha, ha). You know the deal.

Van Bilderass is the most knowledgeable guy on this site.
Anything on training, diet, drugs, supplements etc. He's the man.

MAXX

• Getbig V
  • MAGA
« Reply #52 on: March 30, 2014, 12:01:00 PM »
&feature=youtu.be

Someone embed please :)
bro... you're one of the smaller guys around here

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
  • Better to die on your feet than on your knees.
« Reply #53 on: March 30, 2014, 12:08:06 PM »
I have fully herniated L4&5

Can't squat heavy anymore because of 25 years of the bar digging into C6-C7.  I had massive neck pain for year because I was so stubborn.  I use a manta ray now which helps, but still cannot go above 275lbs.  I really miss it, hard/heavy/high rep squats is my favorite, most effective mass building exercise.

BigRo

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Mystical Manspreading
« Reply #54 on: March 30, 2014, 12:13:55 PM »
bro... you're one of the smaller guys around here

oh really? what do you look like?

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #55 on: March 30, 2014, 12:14:01 PM »
You got a big ass like a 200 pound fat black big mama.

Does that turn you on?

Mawse

• Getbig IV
« Reply #56 on: March 30, 2014, 12:15:28 PM »
Exactly. It's nice to read commentary from folks who know something about that which they speak.

"Sitting back" is a great thought, and applicable, to some degree, for every squatter, but for the non-suited, non-mono-lifting, non-super-wide-stance trainer, that application will be much less pronounced.

As said above, a very strong squatter, one who does the movement raw (or without a suit, at least), will almost always have impressive quad/low-quad development.

As usual, Louie speaks only in terms only 100 percent applicable to his club and how he and his athletes perform exercises.

(Also make note that he believes drug-free lifting is a waste of time. Oh brother.)

For all he and his club have done for powerlifting, they have have also wounded the sport in equal measure.  

Seriously.

I would cringe when I saw raw lifters try to do a shirted bench groove or box squat like they were wearing briefs and squatting in a monolift (wide stance without briefs chews up the hips like nothing else)

Box squats are good for BBing imo as an occasionaly change in pace - if they're done as close to a regular squat as possible, not maximizing the leverage and using the posterior chain and briefs to lifts the weight back up. Nice low box, sit right down, keep tight and squeeze back up without buttwinking.

Melkor

• Getbig III
« Reply #57 on: March 30, 2014, 12:20:55 PM »
i came to the conclusion that for all the cues, theories, and technique stories out there

squatting is just putting a bar on your traps, sitting down and standing back up while keeping the lower back flat

thats it

Yeah keeping it simple is better than worrying about minor details like foot angle and eye gaze. People like to make stuff way too complicated, it's always a laugh when you hear people discussing the "complexities" of deadlifting...

Saying that, there are two main variations of the squat. The high bar, with the bar resting on the traps, torso remaining vertical and depth being easy to reach. This style is beneficial for developing and strengthening the quads and for maintaining an upright torso under load (e.g. Olympic lifting, Strongman etc):

[ Invalid YouTube link ]

The low bar squat has the bar "clamped" along the rear delts, with more of a forward lean in the movement and the hips sitting back. This style is benefits the posterior chain moreso and in most (not all) is better for lifting heavier weights:

[ Invalid YouTube link ]

Both styles are simply variations of the squat and very often a hybrid of the two is best for many.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #58 on: March 30, 2014, 12:22:16 PM »
From what part of the feet do you push off from, heels, balls of toes, or combo of both?

As an aside, the problems with squatting come from simply going to heavy, the proverbial "Ego Lifting."
If we just stayed within ourselves, these back problems would be rare.

Melkor

• Getbig III
« Reply #59 on: March 30, 2014, 12:26:04 PM »
From what part of the feet do you push off from, heels, balls of toes, or combo of both?

As an aside, the problems with squatting come from simply going to heavy, the proverbial "Ego Lifting."
If we just stayed within ourselves, these back problems would be rare.

Ideally the weight should be distributed over the mid-foot. However it is usually best for most people to try and squat on their heels.

Never lift on the balls of your feet, it will just lead to you to shift the weight forward and come up on your tiptoes.

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
  • Better to die on your feet than on your knees.
« Reply #60 on: March 30, 2014, 12:26:24 PM »
but the "tough guys" are mocking ro for using a towel around the bar ::)

people are knuckle heads and will never learn

When I was younger I also thought pads and towels were for pussies.  I wish I had done that now.

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #61 on: March 30, 2014, 01:45:49 PM »
i came to the conclusion that for all the cues, theories, and technique stories out there

squatting is just putting a bar on your traps, sitting down and standing back up while keeping the lower back flat

thats it

for some people it's a natural movement, for some it's not

lol @ giving out random cues over the internet.  what people need is someone to watch them and THEN tell them what's wrong.

if everyone had eyes outside their own head and watch reference vids as they watched themselves, there would be drastically less confusion.

great squats btw, ro

flinstones1

• Getbig V
  • levroneflinstonee
« Reply #62 on: March 30, 2014, 02:40:26 PM »
It's not completely safe but what is? And there will be wear and tear over time even if there is no acute injury. But then again those who don't load their spine at all also end up with bad backs... happens all the time. Doing some squats and deadlifts might protect against a bad backs simply because the muscculature is strong enough to handle daily sedentary activities without breaking down due to weakness.

The people I know with the worst back problems never squat or deadlift.

I  know I start getting sciatica and back pain if I stop deadlifting and squatting. I have to keep training to keep the back from acting up.

What are your thoughts on it effecting height though? I remember dave tate talking about how elite powerlifters usually lose an inch, to an inch and a half of height throughout their career. I don't want to be 5'10 when I'm 30. the extra muscle is not worth it
l

Simple Simon

« Reply #63 on: March 30, 2014, 02:44:22 PM »
I think it's fair to assume you are not at risk of becoming an elite powerlifter bullshitter.

fixed

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
« Reply #64 on: March 30, 2014, 02:48:17 PM »
Big Ro is one of my favorite new guys. Solid poster, great physique and all around good dude. 8)

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
« Reply #65 on: March 30, 2014, 02:50:51 PM »
not to mention huge muscles

Yeah, I went back and modified it. His physique is definitely worth mentioning.

BigRo

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Mystical Manspreading
« Reply #66 on: March 30, 2014, 02:51:31 PM »
Big Ro is one of my favorite new guys. Solid poster, great physique and all around good dude. 8)

thanks bro

old-school-lifter

• Getbig IV
« Reply #67 on: March 30, 2014, 09:13:38 PM »
i think its fair to say Big Ro has the best and most complete physique on GB and easily the closest to a pro card

kyomu

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • トホカミエミタメ ハラヒタマヒ キヨメタマフ
« Reply #68 on: March 30, 2014, 11:21:02 PM »
You squat like your appearance. No wonder. ;) 8)

Wolfox

• Getbig V
« Reply #69 on: March 31, 2014, 02:26:35 AM »
205kg there today...

guess I,m just a pussy with the towel but I do feel it takes pressure off the vertebra.
No no no youre doing it wrong. Haven't you learned by now that all that's needed to build good legs is 225lbs for reps?
A

BigRo

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Mystical Manspreading
« Reply #70 on: March 31, 2014, 03:16:18 AM »
No no no youre doing it wrong. Haven't you learned by now that all that's needed to build good legs is 225lbs for reps?

lol  ;)

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #71 on: March 31, 2014, 03:53:34 AM »
What are your thoughts on it effecting height though? I remember dave tate talking about how elite powerlifters usually lose an inch, to an inch and a half of height throughout their career. I don't want to be 5'10 when I'm 30. the extra muscle is not worth it

I do think there is something to it, but I don't believe it's been studied enough to conclude that it's squatting causing it directly through increased spinal compression like what happens in older age, or if it's things like other injuries, muscle imbalances, and poorer posture giving a greater illusion of height loss.

The average rate of height loss across adults seems to be 1/3" - 1/2" through middle and old age per decade. 

Simple Simon

« Reply #72 on: March 31, 2014, 03:54:54 AM »
I do think there is something to it, but I don't believe it's been studied enough to conclude that it's squatting causing it directly through increased spinal compression like what happens in older age, or if it's things like other injuries, muscle imbalances, and poorer posture giving a greater illusion of height loss.

The average rate of height loss across adults seems to be 1/3" - 1/2" through middle and old age per decade. 

Does this have anything to do with Policemen looking younger?

falco

• Getbig V
« Reply #73 on: March 31, 2014, 05:20:38 AM »
&feature=youtu.be

Someone embed please :)

I nordic Big friend. To embed just delete the "s" from the https://ww

Best regards.