Author Topic: Do people believe in GOD simply because there is NO GOD?  (Read 21393 times)

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
  • Rhetoric is the art of ruling the minds of men.
Do people believe in GOD simply because there is NO GOD?
« on: March 30, 2014, 09:22:23 PM »
It isn't hard to see that people believe in GOD because they are afraid and desperate to imagine into existence a caring Father figure to help them deal with the harsh realities of existence (like there is NO GOD).  So could it be that the realisation that there is NO GOD leads people to imagine one into existence to deal with the fact GOD DOESN'T EXIST?
V

James28

• Getbig V
  • toilet roll of peace
Re: Do people believe in GOD simply because there is NO GOD?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2014, 09:25:17 PM »
I'll break it down in simple terms.

Some people NEED a God to go on and maintain and make sense of their world and upbringing, others don't.

Knooger

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2014, 09:32:25 PM »
I think they need something to replace Santa Claus when they realize he isn't real.

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2014, 09:32:53 PM »
I'll break it down in simple terms.

Some people NEED a God to go on and maintain and make sense of their world and upbringing, others don't.
But shouldn't we be trying to help these people cope with life without relying on imaginary Father figures?  And should those strong enough to live without a need for GOD have to suffer the amount of negative and destructive influence these delusional dolts have on society?
V

Knooger

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2014, 09:35:05 PM »
People want to believe it, not going away any time soon.

James28

• Getbig V
  • toilet roll of peace
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2014, 09:36:53 PM »
But shouldn't we be trying to help these people cope with life without relying on imaginary Father figures?  And should those strong enough to live without a need for GOD have to suffer the amount of negative and destructive influence these delusional dolts have on society?

You're asking someone prone to believing in fairies and spirits without question to reject their whole upbringing and beliefs? They'll only ignore you and violently push back. Remember, some of these people spent neigh on 50 years believing this shit, do you think they're going to change NOW?

Talking about that, I'm still waiting for MOS to explain how 'god' created dinosaurs. Did they drop from the sky ala Titanfall or suddenly wander out of a cave, fully formed?

honest

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2014, 09:43:45 PM »
I get the need to believe in a god or a higher being, creation throws up questions science can only answer to a point, I believe all the science by the way, but the very initial point of creation still throws up the question.
But if you think that some creator sent his kids jesus and mohammed to save us from satan , god got better things to do with his time than worry about your little ass.I also get the need that some people need to believe in something greater than themselves, if there was a God I dont think he would want us thanking him all day everyday, just live your life make it a good life, try to do more good than bad and stop praying to me everyday,or killing others in my name.

forillagorilla

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2014, 10:03:01 PM »

It seems as if God owns your every thought. Things that I find nonsensical and untrue are thought of only once. I consider them - conclude that they are rubbish - and never think of them again.
You seem so consumed with the power of The Great I Am!! That is a good thing and there will come a day where He will break through the sad insecurities of your atheistic religion. You sad little ones that constantly reassure yourselves that you are smart no matter what the bullies tell you and are so angry that god gave you inferior genetics that you just despise His name. Just because I am blessed with better genetics doesn't make me better than you. I will pray for you man..

ismoseppo

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2014, 10:08:41 PM »
I think they need something to replace Santa Claus when they realize he isn't real.

um come again?  :o :o :o

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2014, 10:10:03 PM »
It seems as if God owns your every thought. Things that I find nonsensical and untrue are thought of only once. I consider them - conclude that they are rubbish - and never think of them again.
You seem so consumed with the power of The Great I Am!! That is a good thing and there will come a day where He will break through the sad insecurities of your atheistic religion. You sad little ones that constantly reassure yourselves that you are smart no matter what the bullies tell you and are so angry that god gave you inferior genetics that you just despise His name. Just because I am blessed with better genetics doesn't make me better than you. I will pray for you man..
There, there, frightened little one.  Yes, yes, I am angry that a non-existent deity gave me inferior genetics.  I am also mad that Santa never brought me what I wanted for Christmas even though I was a good boy.  Thankyou for praying for me, even though a GOD may find that insulting, because you are essentially suggesting he fucked everything up in the first place and you have noticed this and are now humbly asking him to fix his mistakes.  I am sure an all powerful, omniscient and vengeful deity such as GOD will be grateful that you, his sinful and pathetic creation, through your prayers point out his shortcomings.
V

ismoseppo

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2014, 10:11:29 PM »
some people believe some dont--who cares--freedom of choice

move on

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2014, 10:14:33 PM »

um come again?  :o :o :o

I have always thought the Santa Claus myth was another religious trick to lure the miserable into believing in GOD.  When Children find out there is no Santa it is incredibly deflating, and the religious point out, see how much better it was to believe in fairy tales, see life is too hard otherwise, you  need to delude yourself to be happy says the religious man.  This was essentially the argument put forward in the movie 'The life of pi', that god may not exist, but isn't life better and more fun if you delude yourself into believing in a false reality.
V

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2014, 10:16:34 PM »

move on
yeah, let's ignore the tyranny, the suffering and killing of innocents and the stalled progress caused by the masses believing in nonsense.

Yeah, that's right, Believing in religion is harmless  ::)
V

James28

• Getbig V
  • toilet roll of peace
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2014, 10:33:12 PM »
I've always wondered why religious people reject the Easter Bunny, Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy as childish foolishness yet their sky god is serious business. There's exactly the same proof for 'god' as there is for the aforementioned characters. None.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2014, 10:46:28 PM »
It isn't hard to see that people believe in GOD because they are afraid and desperate to imagine into existence a caring Father figure to help them deal with the harsh realities of existence (like there is NO GOD).  So could it be that the realisation that there is NO GOD leads people to imagine one into existence to deal with the fact GOD DOESN'T EXIST?
when I was 5 years old I thought the same thing. I was a young child and I  would think how stupid religion was and how obvious it was that people only believed because they were scared to die. At the time I was extremely scared to die too, but I didnt see any point in believing in lies. And I knew God was a lie.

I was always considered intelligent by my teachers and peers, and I remained an atheist till I was in college.

The truth is, it was only after I started to become OK with death that I started to believe in life after death.

And it was logic, pure intellect, that brought me to the idea of God. Causality. The logical truth that things are caused by other things. And God is the logical consequence of that line of logic.

And after having come  to God, since before I believed in God I believed that death  could only be a good thing like reincarnation or a peaceful quiet sleep, but now believing in God and also that hell is a possibility, I am now much less comforted about death than I  was before.

As the bible tells us, those who hate God love death. And  times when I am feeling temptation I do find myself yearning for an existence where Icould be self serving and jist die in peace with no worry of heavem or hell.

So, as you can tell,  faith is not always a refuge for the cowardly.

But in fact it takes a brave man to face up to his helplessness and dependence on his savior.
 l

sean

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2014, 10:58:08 PM »
Damn Tbombz. Impressive

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2014, 10:58:34 PM »
when I was 5 years old I thought the same thing. I was a young child and I  would think how stupid religion was and how obvious it was that people only believed because they were scared to die. At the time I was extremely scared to die too, but I didnt see any point in believing in lies. And I knew God was a lie.

I was always considered intelligent by my teachers and peers, and I remained an atheist till I was in college.

The truth is, it was only after I started to become OK with death that I started to believe in life after death.

And it was logic, pure intellect, that brought me to the idea of God. Causality. The logical truth that things are caused by other things. And God is the logical consequence of that line of logic.

And after having come  to God, since before I belueved death  could only be good or peaceful quiet, now believing hell is also a possibility, I am much less comforted about death than  was before.

As the bible tells us, those who hate God love death. And  times when I am feeling temptation I do find myself yearning for an existence where Icould be self serving and jist die in peace with no worry of heavem or hell.

So, as you can tell,  faith is not always a refuge for the cowardlty.
 l
The fact you believe in life after death means you are NOT OK with death.  Just like god, there is no evidence for an afterlife, belief in  life after death is just another way fearful people comfort themselves, I mean, if you actually live again after death, you haven't really died then have you.  I won't even go into the absurdity of heaven and hell.  Hell is living on Earth with a masses of irrational people who create fairy tales to avoid reality.
V

Obvious Gimmick

• Getbig V
  • I'd hit it
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2014, 11:01:26 PM »

move on

Xs 2. Stop trying to cock block people's stupid beliefs. None or your business

James28

• Getbig V
  • toilet roll of peace
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2014, 11:04:15 PM »
Ignore Tbombz, he's only been towing the Jesus line since he got the Aids man. Trying to clean the slate with the big man, just in case.

He's very very aware of his mortally now.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2014, 11:07:51 PM »
The fact you believe in life after death means you are NOT OK with death.  Just like god, there is no evidence for an afterlife, belief in  life after death is just another way fearful people comfort themselves, I mean, if you actually live again after death, you haven't really died then have you.  I won't even go into the absurdity of heaven and hell.  Hell is living on Earth with a masses of irrational people who create fairy tales to avoid reality.
you actually bring up a very good point = death is not death. Jesus stresses this by pointing out that God is not the God of the dead but the God of the living. And also by saying that we are blessed  we are persecuted, even martyred, for his sake. Because death is not death, it is the beginning of the next.and that is a key thing to understand when considering faith, that death is not something to be feared but something to welcome.  Many peeople have trouble accepting God because they see death in the world-forgetting that death is not the  end but the beginning (for.those who love God)

Truthfully, I would be more ok with the death of eternal sleep than I am with having to face judgement for my actions.

syntaxmachine

• Getbig IV
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2014, 11:17:48 PM »
I was always considered intelligent by my teachers and peers

The Dunning-Kruger Effect rearing its ugly head and evincing its ability to stunt a person's development of peace

kyomu

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • トホカミエミタメ ハラヒタマヒ キヨメタマフ
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2014, 11:23:32 PM »
A person who believe in god from the heart dont mention about God that much.

BigRo

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Mystical Manspreading
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2014, 11:57:53 PM »

hahaha this is good.

BigRo

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Mystical Manspreading
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2014, 11:59:08 PM »
A person who believe in god from the heart dont mention about God that much.

Agree

Automation

• Getbig IV
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2014, 12:27:15 AM »