Author Topic: Tennessee atheists win right to distribute literature after schools give Bibles  (Read 89917 times)

James28

• Getbig V
  • toilet roll of peace
That's how the belief survives over a couple thousand years... adults brainwash the children from birth. How else would a grown adult believe all the animals were placed on a boat and the rest of the world wiped out in a flood, the sun stopped in the sky, or a sea parted or any number of the other outrageous claims in the book..

I guess. Goes to show that you can make people believe just about anything. What a great tool to control people with weak minds.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
That's how the belief survives over a couple thousand years... adults brainwash the children from birth. How else would a grown adult believe all the animals were placed on a boat and the rest of the world wiped out in a flood, the sun stopped in the sky, or a sea parted or any number of the other outrageous claims in the book..

Maybe the same way you get grown adults to believe that all life we see today magically originated in some unexplained fashion at some unknown point by some flash, bang, gas, etc.? 

James28

• Getbig V
  • toilet roll of peace
Maybe the same way you get grown adults to believe that all life we see today magically originated in some unexplained fashion at some unknown point by some flash, bang, gas, etc.? 

But a magical invisible genie that nobody ever laid eyes on whispered a few words and dinosaurs magically dropped out of the sky and landed on a planet made by the same magic?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
But a magical invisible genie that nobody ever laid eyes on whispered a few words and dinosaurs magically dropped out of the sky and landed on a planet made by the same magic?

Nah.  It was probably a wizard from another planet who started the from goo-to-you.

Seriously, I often think about how it all began, and there really is no way to prove how it all started.  But when I look around, especially when I'm out in nature, I just don't see an accident.  Way too much order.  Too much brilliance.  It's awesome, however it started. 

Necrosis

• Getbig V
Nah.  It was probably a wizard from another planet who started the from goo-to-you.

Seriously, I often think about how it all began, and there really is no way to prove how it all started.  But when I look around, especially when I'm out in nature, I just don't see an accident.  Way too much order.  Too much brilliance.  It's awesome, however it started. 

You should read some science. the order you see is called natural selection, where you see brillance, I see idiocy, like children in africa starving. If this is a plan, or a design etc he fucked up bad.

James28

• Getbig V
  • toilet roll of peace

At least you appear to have an open mind. Refreshing to see that from a Christian

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
You should read some science. the order you see is called natural selection, where you see brillance, I see idiocy, like children in africa starving. If this is a plan, or a design etc he fucked up bad.

We have a different outlook.  Keep in mind two people can look at exactly the same thing and have two completely different interpretations. 

Children starving in Africa has zero to do with the incredibly complex animals we see, the environment, our solar system, the human body, etc. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
At least you appear to have an open mind. Refreshing to see that from a Christian

Thanks, although I know plenty of Christians with open minds. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Navy reverses Bible ban
By Todd Starnes
Published August 15, 2014
FoxNews.com

Put the Bibles back!

A Navy spokesman confirms that Bibles will be returned to base lodges, and they’ve also launched an investigation to determine why God’s Word was removed from guest rooms in the first place.

Navy Exchange, which runs the base lodges, sent a directive out in June ordering the Bibles removed, after the Freedom From Religion Foundation filed a complaint. The atheist group alleged the books were a violation of the U.S. Constitution and amounted “to a government endorsement of that religious text.”

Navy spokesman Ryan Perry said the decision was made without their knowledge.

“In June 2014, Navy Exchange Command (NEXCOM) made a decision, without consultation of senior Navy leadership, to transfer religious materials from the Navy Lodge to the local command religious program,” Perry said in a written statement. “That decision and our religious accommodation policies with regard to the placement of religious materials are under review.”

During the review process, Perry said the “religious materials” that were removed will be returned.

The Bibles had been donated to the Navy by Gideons International, a global ministry that provides copies of the Good Book to schools, military personnel and hotels.

Tim Wildmon, of the American Family Association, called the Navy’s decision great news. He said thousands of their supporters contacted the Navy to protest the removal.

“We must be alert to what the secularists are doing inside the military,” he told me. “But this reversal proves that those who believe in religious freedom can make a difference when we take action.”

Ron Crews, the executive director of the Chaplain Alliance for Religious Liberty, said he was overwhelmed with calls from active duty and retired Navy personnel who were livid that Navy Exchange pulled the Good Book.

He credited their outrage with forcing the Navy to reconsider the ban.

“I believe it is because people like these veterans rose up and said enough is enough,” Crews told me.

"I am most grateful that the Navy has decided to keep Bibles in their lodges and guest quarters while they review this policy,” he said. “It is my sincere hope that Navy leaders will realize that there is nothing wrong with allowing religious literature to be placed in these rooms.”

The offended atheists are not commenting – at least not yet. Their complaints seem to be much ado about nothing – but then again – isn’t that what atheism is all about?

I’m still puzzled how a Bible tucked away in a hotel desk could cause such angst among the godless crowd. Are they afraid they might learn something through osmosis?

The Navy stressed that they make “every reasonable effort to accommodate the religious practices of our members, and places a high value on religious freedoms for all.”

In my new book, “God Less America,” I issue a call to action for people of faith – to stand up and fight back. Religious liberty is under attack – and the atheists are specifically targeting Christians.

But the Navy’s decision to return the Bibles is evidence that demands a verdict – that when people of faith stand united and speak up with one voice – we can right a wrong.

Well done, patriots. Well done.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2014/08/15/navy-reverses-bible-ban/

tonymctones

• Getbig V
I don't see it as a religion at all, although some atheists seem to, in some ways, practice it like a religion.  I don't know of any atheists or their organizations that have rituals and chants.  But i do see them promoting their ideas. 
religion exists where dogma doesnt. I have not been to a church in years, I dont sing hymns, I dont have canned prayers that I recite but I still consider myself religious

tonymctones

• Getbig V
The basis of being an atheist is the absence of belief.  You can't have any kind of religion without belief. It is retarded claiming otherwise.
actually atheism at least the atheism i am familiar with is the belief there is no God. It is not again at least for the ones we see in the media an open minded stance about whether there is a God or not.

Most atheist staunchly believe there is no God.....thats a belief

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
Navy reverses Bible ban
By Todd Starnes
Published August 15, 2014
FoxNews.com

Put the Bibles back!

A Navy spokesman confirms that Bibles will be returned to base lodges, and they’ve also launched an investigation to determine why God’s Word was removed from guest rooms in the first place.

Navy Exchange, which runs the base lodges, sent a directive out in June ordering the Bibles removed, after the Freedom From Religion Foundation filed a complaint. The atheist group alleged the books were a violation of the U.S. Constitution and amounted “to a government endorsement of that religious text.”

Navy spokesman Ryan Perry said the decision was made without their knowledge.

“In June 2014, Navy Exchange Command (NEXCOM) made a decision, without consultation of senior Navy leadership, to transfer religious materials from the Navy Lodge to the local command religious program,” Perry said in a written statement. “That decision and our religious accommodation policies with regard to the placement of religious materials are under review.”

During the review process, Perry said the “religious materials” that were removed will be returned.

The Bibles had been donated to the Navy by Gideons International, a global ministry that provides copies of the Good Book to schools, military personnel and hotels.

Tim Wildmon, of the American Family Association, called the Navy’s decision great news. He said thousands of their supporters contacted the Navy to protest the removal.

“We must be alert to what the secularists are doing inside the military,” he told me. “But this reversal proves that those who believe in religious freedom can make a difference when we take action.”

Ron Crews, the executive director of the Chaplain Alliance for Religious Liberty, said he was overwhelmed with calls from active duty and retired Navy personnel who were livid that Navy Exchange pulled the Good Book.

He credited their outrage with forcing the Navy to reconsider the ban.

“I believe it is because people like these veterans rose up and said enough is enough,” Crews told me.

"I am most grateful that the Navy has decided to keep Bibles in their lodges and guest quarters while they review this policy,” he said. “It is my sincere hope that Navy leaders will realize that there is nothing wrong with allowing religious literature to be placed in these rooms.”

The offended atheists are not commenting – at least not yet. Their complaints seem to be much ado about nothing – but then again – isn’t that what atheism is all about?

I’m still puzzled how a Bible tucked away in a hotel desk could cause such angst among the godless crowd. Are they afraid they might learn something through osmosis?

The Navy stressed that they make “every reasonable effort to accommodate the religious practices of our members, and places a high value on religious freedoms for all.”

In my new book, “God Less America,” I issue a call to action for people of faith – to stand up and fight back. Religious liberty is under attack – and the atheists are specifically targeting Christians.

But the Navy’s decision to return the Bibles is evidence that demands a verdict – that when people of faith stand united and speak up with one voice – we can right a wrong.

Well done, patriots. Well done.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2014/08/15/navy-reverses-bible-ban/

A reporter for fox news (author of the article) referred to the bible as Gods Word....that's some neutral reporting there...

avxo

• Getbig V
  • Iron Pumping University Math Professor
A reporter for fox news (author of the article) referred to the bible as Gods Word....that's some neutral reporting there...

It's a pretty ridiculous article, what with the underhanded digs like "isn’t [nothing] what atheism is all about?" obviously written by either an imcompetent idiot or someone writing very deliberately for a specific and well-defined audience.

But in all fairness, I am pretty sure that this is posted on their "opinion" pages, where articles are supposed to be closer to op-eds and more indicative of the author's personal opinions as opposed to objective statements or serious reporting.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
It's a pretty ridiculous article, what with the underhanded digs like "isn’t [nothing] what atheism is all about?" obviously written by either an imcompetent idiot or someone writing very deliberately for a specific and well-defined audience.

But in all fairness, I am pretty sure that this is posted on their "opinion" pages, where articles are supposed to be closer to op-eds and more indicative of the author's personal opinions as opposed to objective statements or serious reporting.

ok...it gets harder and harder these days to tell the difference between a news article and an op/ed piece. You may be right

avxo

• Getbig V
ok...it gets harder and harder these days to tell the difference between a news article and an op/ed piece. You may be right

I didn't notice at first, but the author of this "piece" is Todd Starnes. In retrospect it should be obvious. He's shown himself to be an abject idiot in the past, but he's also an expert in being deliberately provocative (not unlike Todd's street-walker sisters-in-spirit) because that's what the Johns he's marketing himself to want and expect from him.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V

It's an opinion piece. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Prayer for injured teen sparks atheist outrage
By Todd Starnes
Published August 28, 2014
FoxNews.com

The injured player was on the ground being tended to by trainers and coaches.

So the Seminole High School football team did what many football teams do. The teenage boys took a knee, bowed their heads and prayed for their injured teammate.

But that simple act of compassion and humanity in Sanford, Florida sparked outrage from the Freedom From Religion Foundation – a group of perpetually offended atheists from Wisconsin.
An FFRF attorney fired off a letter to the superintendent of Seminole County Public Schools – accusing them of having an adult lead the prayer for the injured child.

It truly takes a special kind of evil to threaten Americans because they prayed over an injured child.
A school district spokesman told me the injured child, who is the son of the team’s head coach, has since rejoined the team.

“It is our information and understanding that Seminole High School (is) allowing an adult, a local pastor, to act as a ‘volunteer chaplain’ for the football team,” FFRF attorney Andrew Seidel wrote.

The attorney said the school cannot “allow a non-school adult access to the children in its charge, and certainly cannot grant that access to a pastor seeking to organize prayer for the students.”

The FFRF told the school district to “refrain from having a ‘volunteer team chaplain’ at Seminole High School.

The school district said the prayer was instigated by students and denied that a chaplain prayed with the team. School spokesman Mike Blasewitz told MyNews13.com that the school doesn’t even have a team chaplain, contrary to the FFRF’s allegations.

“There is nothing to cease and desist because our behavior was within the guidelines in the first place,” he told television station WFTV. “No adults in the photo, no adults participating, no adults leading it.”

Seidel told me in a written statement that he’s satisfied with the school’s response – and they now consider the matter closed.

“FFRF is very pleased with central Florida's new-found commitment to upholding the First Amendment and protecting the rights of conscience of all students, not just Christians,” he said.
Parents, meanwhile, are a bit perturbed with the atheist bullying.

“There are a lot more important issues going on in the world than worrying about kids praying at a game,” parent Andre Collins told ClickOrlando.com. “We live in a country where we’re free to do what we want to do.”

Barbara Frase has a grandson on the football team. She could not believe the atheists would call out the kids for praying.

“Come on, let’s get real,” she told ClickOrlando.com.

Seminole County is not the first school district targeted by these rabid atheists – and they won’t be the last. Earlier this week, I exposed the Christian cleansing underway in Orange County, Florida public schools.

But it truly takes a special kind of evil to threaten Americans because they prayed over an injured child.

Heaven help us all.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2014/08/28/prayer-for-injured-teen-sparks-atheist-outrage/

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
What kind of irrational hypersensitive dummy cries about something like this?  Seriously? 

Football Team Forced to Remove Christian Crosses from Helmets
September 11, 2014
By Todd Starnes

Football players at Arkansas State University were ordered to either remove a Christian cross decal from their helmets or modify it into a mathematical sign after a Jonesboro attorney complained that the image violated the U.S. Constitution.

The cross decal was meant to memorialize former player Markel Owens and former equipment manager Barry Weyer, said athletic director Terry Mohajir.  Weyer was killed in a June car crash. Owens was gunned down in Tennessee in January.
Barry Weyer, Sr., told me that the players and coaches voluntarily decided to memorialize his son and Owens.

“The players knew they were both Christians so they decided to use the cross along with their initials,” he said. “They wanted to carry the spirits of Markel and Barry Don onto the field for one more season.”

It was a decision that had the full support of the university’s athletic director.

“I support our students’ expression of their faith,” Mohajir said. “I am 100 percent behind our students and coaches.”

However, the athletic director said he had no choice but to remove the crosses after he received a message from the university’s legal counsel.

“It is my opinion that the crosses must be removed from the helmets,” University counsel Lucinda McDaniel wrote to Mohajir. “While we could argue that the cross with the initials of the fallen student and trainer merely memorialize their passing, the symbol we have authorized to convey that message is a Christian cross.”

According to documents provided to me by Arkansas State, McDaniel gave the football team a choice – they could either remove the cross or modify the decal. And by modify – she meant deface.

“If the bottom of the cross can be cut off so that the symbol is a plus sign (+) there should be no problem,” she wrote. “It is the Christian symbol which has caused the legal objection.”

The team had been wearing the decals for two weeks without any complaints. That changed after last Saturday’s nationally televised game against the Tennessee Volunteers.

Jonesboro attorney Louis Nisenbaum sent McDaniel an email complaining about the cross decal.

“That is a clear violation of the Establishment Clause as a state endorsement of the Christian religion,” Nisenbaum wrote. “Please advise whether you agree and whether ASU will continue this practice.”

Ironically, the university’s legal counsel admitted in a letter that there were no specific court cases that addressed crosses on football helmets. Nevertheless, she feared the possibility of a lawsuit.

“It is my opinion that we will not prevail on that challenge and must remove the crosses from the helmets or alter the symbols so that they are a (plus sign) instead of a cross,” she wrote in an email to the athletic director.

The Wisconsin-based Freedom From Religion Foundation fired off a letter congratulating the university on cleansing the helmets of the Christian symbol.

“The crosses appeared to confer State’s endorsement of religion, specifically Christianity,” the FFRF wrote. “The inclusion of the Latin cross on the helmets also excludes the 19 percent of the American population that is non-religious.”

FFRF co-presidents Annie Lauire Gaylor and Dan Barker went so far as to suggest alternative ways for the football players to mourn.

“Many teams around the country honor former teammates by putting that player’s number on their helmets or jerseys, or by wearing a black armband,” they wrote. “Either of those options, or another symbolic gesture free from religion imagery, would be appropriate.”

That suggestion set off the athletic director.

“I don’t even kinda-sorta care about any organization that tells our students how to grieve,” Mohajir told me. “Everybody grieves differently. I don’t think anybody has the right to tell our students how to memorialize their colleagues, their classmates or any loved ones they have.”

While Mr. Weyer told me he supports the university “100 percent”, he said he took great offense at the FFRF’s attack.

“The fact is the cross was honoring two fallen teammates who just happened to be Christians,” he wrote on his Facebook page. “I just have a hard time understanding why we as Christians have to be tolerant of everybody else’s rights, but give up ours.”

I do, too, Mr. Weyer. I do, too.

Liberty Institute attorney Hiram Sasser told me he would be more than honored to represent the football team in a lawsuit against the university.

“It is outrage that the university defacing the cross and reducing it to what the university calls a plus sign,” he told me. “It is disgusting.”

Sasser said the students are well within their rights to wear a cross decal on their helmets and accused the university of breaking the law.

“It is unconstitutional viewpoint discrimination to force the players to remove or alter the cross on their helmets that they chose themselves simply because the cross is religious,” Sasser said.

These young men were simply trying to do a good deed. They were standing up for their fallen teammates. It’s really too bad the university could not stand up for the team.

“The university and others want football players to be positive role models in the community, but as soon as the players promote a positive message honoring their former teammates – the university discriminates against them in a blatant violation of the Constitution.”

Mr. Weyer said he’s not a political man – but he is a Christian man. And he’s tired of having to kowtow to the politically correct crowd.

“It’s time that we as Christians stand up and say we’re tired of being pushed around,” he said. “We’re tired of having to bow down to everyone else’s rights. What happened to our rights? The last time I checked it said freedom of religion – not freedom from religion.”

Well said, Mr. Weyer. Well said.

http://www.tpnn.com/2014/09/11/football-team-forced-to-remove-christian-crosses-from-helmets/

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
why should a state sponsored school allow religious symbols on their uniforms

the answer of course is that they shouldn't

let them go to a private school if they want to do that

and Bum, stop your whining for fucks sake

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Good grief.  I think paranoid anti-religious extremists just might be the biggest crybabies in America. 

Atheists Mount Campaign to Boycott the Pledge of Allegiance

Image: Atheists Mount Campaign to Boycott the Pledge of Allegiance (Ted Jackson/The Times-Picayune/Landov)
Friday, 12 Sep 2014
By Kathy Schiffer, from Aleteia.org

Why the Pledge Was Originally Silent About God and Why It Was Changed 60 Years Ago

The American Humanist Association (AHA) recently launched a national campaign to rally Americans against reciting the Pledge of Allegiance.

You can probably guess what phrase the AHA finds offensive: naturally, it's the part about "under God." The ultimate aim of their "Don't Say the Pledge" campaign is to have those two words officially deleted from the pledge. The campaign is currently being promoted through ads at bus stops in New York and Washington, D.C., and videos on YouTube.

Roy Speckhardt, executive director of the American Humanist Association, explained the group's objection to the Pledge:

"We want everyone to know that the current wording of the pledge discriminates against atheists and others who are good without a god, and we want them to stand up for fairness by sitting down until the pledge is restored to its original, unifying form."

The AHA campaign was encouraged by a May 2014 study by The Seidewitz Group in New York that reported that 34 percent of Americans allegedly favor removing the words, after being told that "under God" was added to the pledge only in 1954. Earlier studies found that a mere 8 percent of respondents favored deleting the reference to God.

It is unlikely, however, that the atheists' campaign to bleach God from public discourse will succeed.

On March 10, 2010, the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals — regarded as the most liberal federal appellate court in the United States — ruled 2-1 in Newdow v. Rio Linda Union School District that the words "under God" in the Pledge of Allegiance were of a "ceremonial and patriotic nature" and, therefore, did not constitute an establishment of religion.

Later that year, on Nov. 12, 2010, the First Circuit Court of Appeals in Boston unanimously affirmed a ruling by the federal district court in New Hampshire that the Pledge's reference to God does not violate the rights of non-pledging students, if student participation in the Pledge is voluntary. And on June 13, 2011, the U.S. Supreme Court refused to hear an appeal of that decision.

The History of the Pledge

It's true that the Pledge of Allegiance was changed in 1954 — and three times before that, since it was originally composed by Francis Bellamy in 1892.

The omission of any reference to God in the original had nothing to do with "establishment of religion" concerns. It was no doubt due to the original purpose of the Pledge. Its author, Francis Bellamy, was a Baptist pastor, Christian socialist, and a man of strong faith. He wrote the Pledge with the intent of renewing love of country in the years after the Civil War, when patriotic ardor and national feeling seemed to have waned.

Bellamy's original Pledge reflects exactly and only what was at stake in the Civil War — the unity of the United States, liberty for slaves and justice for all:

"I pledge allegiance to my Flag and the Republic for which it stands, one nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

It was published on Sept. 8, 1892, in the children's magazine The Youth's Companion, as part of the 400th anniversary celebration of Christopher Columbus's arrival in the Americas. The magazine's publisher, James B. Upsham, hoped that participation in the National Public-School Celebration of Columbus Day would foster patriotism and the sale of American flags that would be flown in front of public schools. Upsham reportedly told his wife:

"If I can instill into the minds of our American youth a love for their country and the principles on which it was founded, and create in them an ambition to carry on with the ideals which the early founders wrote into The Constitution, I shall not have lived in vain."

It was an Illinois attorney, Louis Bowman, who first proposed the inclusion of "under God" in the Pledge — a proposal which earned him an Award of Merit from the National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution, who agreed that the idea was a good one. Bowman, who served as Chaplain of the Society of the Sons of the American Revolution, took the words from Abraham Lincoln's Gettysburg Address. Bowman first used the Pledge with the phrase "under God" on Lincoln's birthday, Feb. 12, 1948.

In 1951, the Knights of Columbus, a Catholic fraternal association, also began incorporating the phrase "under God" when saying the Pledge of Allegiance at their meetings. By 1952, Knights across America were referencing God in their Pledge; and they campaigned to have the Knights of Columbus' version of the Pledge be officially adopted.

Proponents of the revised Pledge tried unsuccessfully to persuade President Harry Truman to implement the change. When President Dwight D. Eisenhower came to office in January 1953, efforts were stepped up: Democratic Representative Louis C. Rabaut of Michigan sponsored a Congressional resolution to add the words "under God."

The turning point came the following year, when President Eisenhower heard a sermon by Presbyterian pastor George MacPherson Docherty. On February 7, 1954 — the Sunday closest to Lincoln's birthday — the Rev. Docherty preached a sermon entitled "A New Birth of Freedom" based on the Gettysburg Address.

The nation's might, he said, lay not in arms but in its spirit and higher purpose. Docherty quoted the Pledge of Allegiance, and noted that it could be the pledge of any nation. What was missing, he said, was "the characteristic and definitive factor in the American way of life." Docherty, well aware of tensions of the Cold War, cited Lincoln's words "under God" — words which set the United States apart from other nations.

President Eisenhower responded enthusiastically. He stopped to speak to Reverend Docherty on the steps of the church; and the following day, the President took steps to effect the change. Rep. Charles Oakman, R-Mich., introduced a bill to change the Pledge.

Congress passed a Joint Resolution amending the Flag Code enacted in 1942. The new legislation was signed into law by the president on Flag Day, June 14, 1954.

That year, in his Flag Day address to the nation, President Eisenhower said:

"From this day forward, the millions of our school children will daily proclaim in every city and town, every village and rural school house, the dedication of our nation and our people to the Almighty …. In this way we are reaffirming the transcendence of religious faith in America's heritage and future; in this way we shall constantly strengthen those spiritual weapons which forever will be our country's most powerful resource, in peace or in war."

http://www.Newsmax.com/US/pledge-of-allegiance-atheists-boycott-God/2014/09/12/id/594312/#ixzz3D7jstapa

avxo

• Getbig V
Of course Beach Bum would think it's no big deal that "under God" is in the Pledge of Allegiance. After all, fuck those who don't think this nation is under God, right?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Of course Beach Bum would think it's no big deal that "under God" is in the Pledge of Allegiance. After all, fuck those who don't think this nation is under God, right?

No.  F those who file lawsuits claiming they are suffering emotional distress because they see the name "God" anywhere in the public square.

This is friggin stupid. 

avxo

• Getbig V
No.  F those who file lawsuits claiming they are suffering emotional distress because they see the name "God" anywhere in the public square.

This is friggin stupid. 

You can't see how it's distressing to someone who doesn't believe in God to either not pledge allegiance to his country or to be forced to either lie or betray his convictions by reciting pledge, by claiming the nation is under an entity he doesn't believe exists.

How would you feel if the pledge of allegiance instead of "under god" explicitly said "independent of deities"? Something tells me that you wouldn't like it one bit.

But somehow it's ok when it happens to others, isn't it?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
You can't see how it's distressing to someone who doesn't believe in God to either not pledge allegiance to his country or to be forced to either lie or betray his convictions by reciting pledge, by claiming the nation is under an entity he doesn't believe exists.

How would you feel if the pledge of allegiance instead of "under god" explicitly said "independent of deities"? Something tells me that you wouldn't like it one bit.

But somehow it's ok when it happens to others, isn't it?

No.  Nobody is being forced to say "under God."  If someone is truly offended by that, then don't say those words.  How hard is that?  Emotional distress?  Please.  Cry me a river.  I find it hard to believe that you accept something like that.   

I am a firm believer in church-state separation.  But what I really cannot stand is this false notion that God and religion (or in almost every context Christianity) has to be cleansed from the public square.  That's not what church-state separation is all about.  So I get a little irritated when people like Michael Newdow and Mitch Kahle (examples of irrational atheists) run around the country and my state crying about things like a legislator putting a fish symbol on his office door, or looking for crosses erected as memorials on public property, crying about "In God We Trust" on money, etc.  Asinine.

If the government is trying to force a kid to pray, or the government establishes a state religion like England, or people lose the right to have no beliefs at all, then I have a problem.  But this kind of stuff?  Like I said, it's friggin stupid.  It detracts from legitimate arguments involving government and religion. 

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
So you would be still be cool  if it said: "Under Allah", instead?