Author Topic: Tipping Question - Hebrew Related  (Read 3147 times)

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
Tipping Question - Hebrew Related
« on: March 31, 2014, 04:50:50 PM »
I went to PF Changs and went in to the counter to get my food. I wrote zero in the tip line and the Hebrew female who brought my food out of the kitchen and put soy sauce in the bag said "Zero?" in an irritated voice.

???

I would never imagine that you would tip someone for carry out food?

???

I like tipping, it's a good system but this takes it to a whole new level? ???

P.S. Annoying Euro/Aussie twinks stay the fuck out of this thread...

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
Re: Tipping Question - Hebrew Related
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 04:52:31 PM »
I went to PF Changs and went in to the counter to get my food. I wrote zero in the tip line and the Hebrew female who brought my food out of the kitchen and put soy sauce in the bag said "Zero?" in an irritated voice.

???

???
You don't. You tip to be waited on. Not to pick up take out. Do you tip the Mcdonalds or Taco Bell drive -thru people? No.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 04:53:32 PM »
You don't. You tip to be waited on. Not to pick up take out. Do you tip the Mcdonalds or Taco Bell drive -thru people? No.

I agree, but are there some dick heads out there tipping these people? Is this girl insane?

Obama voter I imagine

bbrower

• Getbig II
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 04:58:06 PM »
I typically throw em a couple bucks

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2014, 04:59:16 PM »
For what exactly?

visualizeperfection

• Getbig V
  • Getbig sponsored athlete.
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2014, 05:00:37 PM »
A similar situation happened with me.  I said "Suck my Mother Fucking Dick". Never happened to me again.

Handled with class.

Anywho, I always tip a buck or two on take out, no reasoning, just do.

I have dated waitresses, I have a soft spot.

bbrower

• Getbig II
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2014, 05:02:37 PM »
For what exactly?
If they're friendly on the phone/when I pick up the food I'll drop a couple bucks in the jar. Definitely, not a requirement and the PF Chang bitch should of kept her mouth shut about it.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2014, 05:03:08 PM »

Seriously? ???

The girl who just hands you the bag of food you ordered?

???

James28

• Getbig V
  • toilet roll of peace
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2014, 05:03:16 PM »
I tip nobody.

Hope this helps.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2014, 05:05:33 PM »
Handled with class.

Anywho, I always tip a buck or two on take out, no reasoning, just do.

I have dated waitresses, I have a soft spot.

I love waitresses, I like the idea that a profession like that still exists where people can make decent money by working hard.

Still, just wondered if people were tipping the person at the counter handing you your order. No one tips the lady at Chipotle who does the same thing.

If they're friendly on the phone/when I pick up the food I'll drop a couple bucks in the jar. Definitely, not a requirement and the PF Chang bitch should of kept her mouth shut about it.

Okay, fair enough... sounds good

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2014, 05:08:31 PM »
Takeout == NO TIP.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2014, 05:09:05 PM »
Giving a tip to some polite blond beauty is one thing. Expecting a tip for taking 10 seconds to hand someone a bag of food and ring it up is bogus.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2014, 05:10:18 PM »
 Dear Helena,
About once a week, my girlfriend and I order sushi from a place on the next block. We pick it up since it’s so close. And every week we have the same argument: Should we tip? My girlfriend says no. She is a generous tipper in other respects (with cabdrivers, masseurs, and restaurant servers). She tips when someone delivers the takeout. But in this case, she says, “All they have to do is bring it to the counter. It’s not like they’re giving you any service.” Excuse me, but I’ve worked in takeout places, and scooping all the food into individual containers and packaging them up is quite time-consuming. It definitely deserves some recompense. Please set her straight on this point.
—Tuesday-Night Sushi

Dear Tuesday-Night Sushi,

Your girlfriend is in the majority: Most people don’t tip on takeout food. As is clear from threads like this one, many Chowhounds are in this camp. Steve Dublanica, a former server and author of the forthcoming Keep the Change: A Clueless Tipper’s Quest to Become the Guru of the Gratuity, says that when he worked in a high-end restaurant, “80 percent of the time, people did not tip on takeout orders.”

People who work in takeout places don’t necessarily expect a tip. Tony Giovanni, manager of Bleecker Street Pizza, says: “Customers tip for delivery, but there’s no need to tip for pickup.” Even a celeb like Miley Cyrus—that is, someone with money to burn—apparently considers tipping on takeout unnecessary.

But the majority is in the wrong. You should tip for takeout, because filling your order takes work. Someone has to take your order over the phone, and that order could be an extra-crispy, extra-sauce, half-anchovy sausage pizza—in other words, complicated. Or worse, it could be vague: “Yeah, I don’t have your menu in front of me, but do you have, like, a tofu in peanut sauce type dish?”

Assembling the order is more trouble than many people realize, says Patrick Maguire, who has worked in the restaurant industry for 10 years: “You have to accommodate any special requests, like ensure any dressings are on the side, package the whole thing up properly so nothing spills, and keep items separate so the bread doesn’t get soggy.” Some dishes, like curry, can just be shoveled into a container, but some need to be nicely arranged. As Dublanica says, “You don’t want your vegetables and potatoes and steak mashed together in a lump.”

When the person taking your order is a server and the restaurant is busy, there’s an opportunity cost for him in taking your order. While he’s wrapping up your Peking duck or burger and curly fries, he could be serving customers at a table and earning a real tip. While in some cases the person who takes your order or does the packing up won’t be the same one who hands you your food and thus receives the tip, it’s best to assume it’ll all even out in the long run.

Of course, filling a takeout order isn’t as much work as bringing everything nicely plated to your table, not to mention keeping your water glasses filled and clearing away your dishes. So you need not tip 20 percent. Instead, you should tip somewhere between a couple of bucks and 10 percent. Tip on the higher end if your order was particularly complex or if you had any special requests (like asking the restaurant to fill containers you brought from home). As when tipping for a latte, you should also reward the person with a smile and friendly remark.

If you hit the same takeout place regularly, it pays to tip. Maguire tips at his favorite pizza and sandwich joint, and says, “The staff remembers how I like my meatball sub, with the bun toasted with a little extra sauce and some grated cheese on top.” That’s good karma in action.

CHOW’s Table Manners column appears every Wednesday. Have a Table Manners question? Email Helena. You can also follow her on Twitter and fan her Table Manners column on Facebook.

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2014, 05:11:11 PM »
Depending on the system the tips could be distributed to all the restaurant staff including the cooks and bus boys.  So it's not just to the person handing you the bag.  

I leave a couple of bucks when I pick up food

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2014, 05:12:07 PM »
 Perusing Jan 15, 2014 10:53 AM

Two points: 1) I waitressed on and off in my during my college years and early career years for extra income and never expected a tip on takeout orders, and - as a customer - my standard tip is 20% unless the service is extremely poor and then it is 15%. 2) Helen is flawed in her reasoning that one should tip for takeouts because she gives reasons that are basic job functions. It is the restaurant's responsibility to cover the salary of these functions. The more we put that onerous on patrons, the more likely the food industry will not raise the basic wages of servers. Her attitude only exacerbates the US's tipping culture that is spiraling out of control and unsustainable for the industry.

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2014, 05:12:41 PM »
With take out, tipping is nice if it happens, but not required in my mind. I'll tip a tiny bit for take out sometimes, but there has to be a lot of human interaction (eg. small talk, etc....). And even then, it's more of a small change thing, than an actual tip.

I think she felt entitled because P.F. Changs is more of an eat in establishment, and that she should've been tipped like regular wait staff.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2014, 05:12:46 PM »
 spamdaspam Jan 8, 2014 04:19 PM

I work as a cook at a large chain burger and fry restaurant. When a carryout order comes in a server has to enter in the food. I've never seen a server on the phone for more then 30 seconds when it's busy. The food comes back to the cook where it's made and assembled in the carryout container. No work on the servers part. Only thing the server has to do after that is take your money and give you condiments provided they weren't on the slip. So essentially this person is doing roughly 1-3 minutes of work for you. Any tip received is taken by the server so if the order comes up to $40 and you leave a 4 dollar tip (10%) you are basically saying that person did $80-$240/hr worth of work.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2014, 05:13:47 PM »
I think she felt entitled because P.F. Changs is more of an eat in establishment, and that she should've been tipped like regular wait staff.

Hmm, maybe.. I got the idea that she only works the cash register though.

Only posted because I wondered if I was the only crazy one not tipping for carryout.  ;D

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2014, 05:13:59 PM »

???

???

I like tipping, it's a good system but this takes it to a whole new level? ???

P.S. Annoying Euro/Aussie twinks stay the fuck out of this thread...

Handing you a bag of take out food is not tip worthy.  Neither is standing on a corner with a stupid sign claiming you're a veteran and will "work for food...God bless!".

Tips are not an entitlement.  They must be earned.  

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2014, 05:20:47 PM »
First off the negro was wrong to say zero. You should have gave back the food asked for your money back and talked to the manager.  Also I don't like leaving a tip on my debit card so I usually write CASH on the tip line.

As far as takeout I sometimes tip and sometimes I don't. Kinda depends on how many millions I have on me that day and how the service was. If they are uninterested and just hand me the bag probably not tip, but someone friendly asking me if I want sauces, napkins, plastic wear or hooking me up with something extra I will tip.  Also if it is somewhere I go regularly and they know me I will be more inclined to tip. Also I consider is it a needy poor worker who could use the money or the greedy Asian owner running the register.

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2014, 05:24:30 PM »
Depending on the system the tips could be distributed to all the restaurant staff including the cooks and bus boys.  So it's not just to the person handing you the bag.  

I leave a couple of bucks when I pick up food
Can't hate on you BIG ACH. You are the epitome of Getbig royalty.

You make a valid point.

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2014, 05:25:53 PM »
I honestly just saw the thread title. Hebrew related?

Explain Mr. Bacon.

the trainer

« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2014, 05:27:33 PM »
I do not tip unless the person was very nice and the service was good.

visualizeperfection

• Getbig V
  • Getbig sponsored athlete.
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2014, 05:28:15 PM »

Explain Mr. Bacon.

The slut in question was a 'brew

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2014, 05:28:52 PM »

Explain Mr. Bacon.

It must be in a Wiggsonian manner in that Wiggs has declared all Hebrews to be Hebrows and Hebrowettes, i.e., "black".  The person in question is a black woman as noted by the OP, therefor by Wiggsonian Logic she is a Hebrowette  or in the common language, Hebrewess .

Weird, I know.