Author Topic: Conservative Media: That Presidential Look: The Bad, the Beautiful, and Voting-B  (Read 1718 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
That Presidential Look: The Bad, the Beautiful, and Voting-Booth Realities

While there was more than one reason why John McCain was a long shot to win the 2008 general election, a big one was something almost no one talked seriously about: appearance.

That is to say, when was the last time an old-looking, white-haired, half-bald man won the presidency?

If you think this piece will be satire or fluff, think again.  It rather will be very serious commentary about a very silly -- but painfully real -- phenomenon.

When people do discuss looks' impact on presidential fortunes, they usually treat the matter as a joke; we may hear, for instance, how a candidate must have "great hair" to enjoy rarefied commander-in-chief air.  But if professional pundits and politics wonks think it's beneath them to wax anything but comedic on this issue, the joke is on them.  After all, this is the age of American Idol.

To answer my earlier question, the last time Americans elected a bald president was 1956, when Dwight Eisenhower defeated similarly hair follicle-deprived Adlai Stevenson.  Not coincidentally, this was just prior to the full flowering of the television age.

Four years later, America's first televised presidential debate made a star of relatively unknown but strikingly handsome John F. Kennedy and an underdog of his opponent, incumbent Vice President Richard Nixon.  It's said that people who only listened to the event on radio thought Nixon won, but the TV audience -- perhaps numbering 74 million -- was a different matter.  Wrote Time magazine, "Nixon, pale and underweight from a recent hospitalization, appeared sickly and sweaty, while Kennedy appeared calm and confident.  ... Those that watched the debate on TV thought Kennedy was the clear winner.  Many say Kennedy won the election that night."

Fifty-one years later, looks carry more weight than ever.  Aside from the baldness handicap, can you imagine an ugly person winning the presidency?  Then, how about someone who lacks that somewhat less tangible quality -- that of looking "presidential"?

When you understand appearance's true impact, you realize that you can usually look at a person and say with almost 100-percent certainty whether or not his appearance disqualifies him from the White House.  Now, this is where some will get angry, behaving as if voicing an unpleasant truth helps give it wings.  But know that I certainly don't cast my vote on a superficial basis; for my part, a candidate could be an ideologically sound goblin.  Moreover, I realize that if you're reading this, you too are someone who is relatively unlikely to be swayed by the superficial.  Many Americans, however, wouldn't read a piece of news or commentary if it were pasted to a stripper.  And the fact is that if looks can influence five to seven percent of the vote, it's enough to sway most elections.

Read more:
http://www.americanthinker.com/2011/09/that_presidential_look_the_bad_the_beautiful_and_voting-booth_realities.html

American Thinker is a conservative media outlet, by the way.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Thinker

Libs don't have the courage to admit it - APPEARANCE MATTERS.  Thank goodness for conservatives.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
FOX NEWS chimes in... same thing.  Americans haven't elected a bald prez in almost 70 years?

Appearance matters.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/2007/03/27/is-america-ready-for-bald-president/

James28

• Getbig V
  • toilet roll of peace
I can agree. In the UK, the leader of the oppositions are the ugliest, stupidest guy I've ever seen. To top it all off, he speaks with a lisp. Can't imagine that twink on the world stage.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
I can agree. In the UK, the leader of the oppositions are the ugliest, stupidest guy I've ever seen. To top it all off, he speaks with a lisp. Can't imagine that twink on the world stage.

it sucks... as a dude with less hair than I'd like, I know the unfairness of it all :)

But it's a very legit issue when it comes to presidential politics.  If nominating someone, and they're short, ugly, fat or bald... history says that person probably will not win.  Sad, but it's true.  People won't elect a president that is hard on the eyes.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Yes, looks matter.  Low information voters do focus on superficial things.  In fact, I remember you criticizing Sarah Palin's hair at one point.  Or was it Bachmann?    lol . . . . .

What is really stupid is saying Jindal is too ugly to be president.  lol  Not even going to discuss that one any further.  

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Yes, looks matter.  Low information voters do focus on superficial things.  In fact, I remember you criticizing Sarah Palin's hair at one point.  Or was it Bachmann?    lol . . . . .

What is really stupid is saying Jindal is too ugly to be president.  lol  Not even going to discuss that one any further.  

Lol wasn't it the repub men that were all hot on palin's looks hahaha

240 is Back

• Getbig V
Yes, looks matter.  Low information voters do focus on superficial things. 

Guess what... low-info voters decide every election. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swing_vote

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Lol wasn't it the repub men that were all hot on palin's looks hahaha

I doubt it was just Republican men. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
I doubt it was just Republican men.  

mccain only got 46% of the popular vote... a lot of republican men AND women just stayed home for some reason.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
mccain only got 46% of the popular vote... a lot of republican men AND women just stayed home for some reason.

I'm sure it was because Obama was better looking than McCain.  lol . . . .

240 is Back

• Getbig V
I'm sure it was because Obama was better looking than McCain.  lol . . . .

mccain was a more handsome person when he was obama's age. 

But no, he wasn't an attractive person when he ran for president.  Sorry, he wasn't.  He was a war hero, he was an awesome spokesman for the RINO movement... but he wasn't good looking.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
If you believe Obama won the election in 2008 because he was better looking than McCain then you aren't very bright.   :-\

240 is Back

• Getbig V
If you believe Obama won the election in 2008 because he was better looking than McCain then you aren't very bright.   :-\

It wasn't the sole determining factor, but it helped.
If you believe looks played zero percent...

MIT has proven a clear causation.  
http://phys.org/news/2011-07-low-information-voters-swayed-candidates.html

So really, there's nothing to debate here, man.  Appearance matters, and looking better delivers statistical advantages in elections.  end thread, man.  

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
It wasn't the sole determining factor, but it helped.
If you believe looks played zero percent...

MIT has proven a clear causation.  
http://phys.org/news/2011-07-low-information-voters-swayed-candidates.html

So really, there's nothing to debate here, man.  Appearance matters, and looking better delivers statistical advantages in elections.  end thread, man.  

One I learned on this board is you don't read the links you post. 

Yes, "end thread."  Should have never been started.  Appearance matters.  But Obama being better looking than McCain did not decide the 2008 election.  The link you provided makes no such claim.  But you didn't read it so you wouldn't know that. 

Purge_WTF

Appearance does indeed matter.

FDR was always cafeful not to be seen in his wheelchair when he was in public. I didn't even know he needed a wheelchair until a few years ago.

240 is Back

• Getbig V

So really, there's nothing to debate here, man.  Appearance matters, and looking better delivers statistical advantages in elections.  end thread, man. 

Dos Equis,

you never would have fallen for amnesty candidate Rubio if he looked like Bernie Sanders, let's be honest.

Appearance mattered to you - and you argued loudest that it did not.