Author Topic: Matt Mendenhall  (Read 9613 times)

honest

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
Matt Mendenhall
« on: March 31, 2014, 05:06:39 PM »
Found this on line of one of what I think is the most genetically gifted bodybuilders of my time, probably been posted before but I hadnt seen it. Im sure others will add pics, great physique.

COMING

CLEAN

Matt Mendenhall: Much More

Than a Physical Body

by Lisa Dunsky Photography by Art Zeller

In a small Cincinnati suburb an electrical engineer sits at a drafting table and perfects designs for a marn­moth turbine power generation set. His skill and expertise make it diffi­cult to imagine him in any other career. But if you take a closer look, you can tell that this particular en­gineer hasn't spent his entire life with pencils and slide rules: Matt Men­denhall still has the physique of a champion.

During his competition days Men­denhall weighed an amazing 265 pounds and was touted as the only man who could take away Lee Haney's Olympia title. Even Haney himself said as much. Like Tantalus, whom the Greek gods tortured by keeping food and drink just beyond his reach, however, Mendenhall couldn't grasp what he wanted the most—an IFBB pro card. Second to Haney at the '82 Nationals. Second to Berry DeMey at the '85 World Games. Second to Gary Strydom at the '86 Nationals. Then Mendenhall seemed to vanish from the competi­tive scene.

Everyone has a theory as to why the kid with so much talent never made it to the pro ranks. Now, two years after he last stepped on stage, Mendenhall wants to set the record straight. "No one's heard my story," he explained. "All they've heard are gym rumors. People assumed I was

Matt Mendenhall's tremendous poten­tial had the bodybuilding world gasping.

the fast-lane life of L.A., and that's what was keeping me from get­ting my act together. But that wasn't it."

So what did keep Mendenhall from grabbing bodybuilding's brass ring? To find the answer, you have to start with his beginnings in the sport and his meteoric rise to the top. At 17 Mendenhall began a serious weight-training program. A year later he entered a local contest, won the Teenage Overall, Men's Overall, Most Muscular and Best Poser. The year after that he entered and won a regional-level national qualifier.

Up to that point Mendenhall re­mained drug-free. Then, while pre­paring for his first national contest, he decided to use anabolic steroids. "The '82 Nationals was my first drug program. If I didn't think I could go far in the sport, I wouldn't have taken steroids. But I knew I had the God-given talent."

That year Mendenhall's natural abilities oozed out of every pore. He nearly walked away with the show, losing to Haney by a scant two points. Any concerns he may have had about using steroids were quickly pushed to the back of his mind.

"When I first started taking steroids, I was a basket case," Men­denhall said. "Any time I felt a 'ping' or a 'twang,' I thought, 'Oh, no, I'm falling apart. The drugs are killing me.' Natural testosterone pills are much safer, but after that first cycle it be­came reckless. I had a taste of sweet success, and I was in the rat race. I thought, 'What can I do to get even better?' "

Shortly after the '82 Nationals Mendenhall received a phone call and job offer from Joe Weider. Before long he was living in Los An­geles and regularly appearing on ma­gazine covers, in feature articles and in advertisements. The bodybuilding public fell in love with Mendenhall's awesome physique and all-American good looks. Guest posing and semi­nar offers poured in. It was a dream come true, but there was a price to pay.

"I was too marketable for my own good. I was touring all the time and guest posing and had to stay on steroids almost year-round. I always had blood work done every two or three months. I never had any liver or kidney damage, no heart flutters. I

Many thought Mendenhall had the genetics to beat Lee Haney, but his body rebelled and forced him to retire.

never experienced any of the classic side effects, so I thought I was fine."COMING

CLEAN

Than a Physical Body

In a small Cincinnati suburb an electrical engineer sits at a drafting table and perfects designs for a marn­moth turbine power generation set. His skill and expertise make it diffi­cult to imagine him in any other career. But if you take a closer look, you can tell that this particular en­gineer hasn't spent his entire life with pencils and slide rules: Matt Men­denhall still has the physique of a champion.

During his competition days Men­denhall weighed an amazing 265 pounds and was touted as the only man who could take away Lee Haney's Olympia title. Even Haney himself said as much. Like Tantalus, whom the Greek gods tortured by keeping food and drink just beyond his reach, however, Mendenhall couldn't grasp what he wanted the most—an IFBB pro card. Second to Haney at the '82 Nationals. Second to Berry DeMey at the '85 World Games. Second to Gary Strydom at the '86 Nationals. Then Mendenhall seemed to vanish from the competi­tive scene.

Everyone has a theory as to why the kid with so much talent never made it to the pro ranks. Now, two years after he last stepped on stage, Mendenhall wants to set the record straight. "No one's heard my story," he explained. "All they've heard are gym rumors. People assumed I was

the fast-lane life of L.A., and that's what was keeping me from get­ting my act together. But that wasn't it."

So what did keep Mendenhall from grabbing bodybuilding's brass ring? To find the answer, you have to start with his beginnings in the sport and his meteoric rise to the top. At 17 Mendenhall began a serious weight-training program. A year later he entered a local contest, won the Teenage Overall, Men's Overall, Most Muscular and Best Poser. The year after that he entered and won a regional-level national qualifier.

Up to that point Mendenhall re­mained drug-free. Then, while pre­paring for his first national contest, he decided to use anabolic steroids. "The '82 Nationals was my first drug program. If I didn't think I could go far in the sport, I wouldn't have taken steroids. But I knew I had the God-given talent."

That year Mendenhall's natural abilities oozed out of every pore. He nearly walked away with the show, losing to Haney by a scant two points. Any concerns he may have had about using steroids were quickly pushed to the back of his mind.

"When I first started taking steroids, I was a basket case," Men­denhall said. "Any time I felt a 'ping' or a 'twang,' I thought, 'Oh, no, I'm falling apart. The drugs are killing me.' Natural testosterone pills are much safer, but after that first cycle it be­came reckless. I had a taste of sweet success, and I was in the rat race. I thought, 'What can I do to get even better?' "

Shortly after the '82 Nationals Mendenhall received a phone call and job offer from Joe Weider. Before long he was living in Los An­geles and regularly appearing on ma­gazine covers, in feature articles and in advertisements. The bodybuilding public fell in love with Mendenhall's awesome physique and all-American good looks. Guest posing and semi­nar offers poured in. It was a dream come true, but there was a price to pay.

"I was too marketable for my own good. I was touring all the time and guest posing and had to stay on steroids almost year-round. I always had blood work done every two or three months. I never had any liver or kidney damage, no heart flutters. I

Many thought Mendenhall had the genetics to beat Lee Haney, but his body rebelled and forced him to retire.

never experienced any of the classic side effects, so I thought I was fine."

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
Re: Matt Mendenhall
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 06:00:05 PM »
Found this on line of one of what I think is the most genetically gifted bodybuilders of my time, probably been posted before but I hadnt seen it. Im sure others will add pics, great physique.

COMING

CLEAN

Than a Physical Body

never experienced any of the classic side effects, so I thought I was fine."COMING

CLEAN

Than a Physical Body

never experienced any of the classic side effects, so I thought I was fine."

what are natural testosterone pills

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 06:07:20 PM »

Reads like a veiled reference to one's testicles when they are functioning properly.   ;D

Who knows, really.  All these guys are nothing without their little helpers.   

honest

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 06:21:17 PM »
There was a second section to the story wouldnt let me cut and paste it for some reason, im not the most IT savvy guy mind you, but guy had a great build was wondering why he just came and went so quickly with all that potential.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2014, 06:35:06 PM »
Cliffhanger of peace.

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
  • Rhetoric is the art of ruling the minds of men.
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2014, 06:39:23 PM »
PART 2

Yet something was undeniably wrong. Mendenhall was plagued by a persistent sore throat and unrelenting fatigue. "I was always on the run, so as soon as I would start getting a sore throat, I would take some antibiotics. I did as many as five 10-day cycles back to back because I couldn't shake what I had. I couldn't figure out why I was so unhealthy."

At the time Mendenhall didn't re­late his health problems to steroid use. "Nobody ever talked about steroids causing immune system damage and endocrine-balance dam­age with your thyroid and adrenal glands being thrown of The longer I was on the drugs, the more my body started to shut down. My immune system was badly burned out. It went from bad to worse."

His digestive system, too, had been affected by steroids: He had developed candidiasis, a digestive disorder that causes bloating and water retention, especially when car­ bohydrates are consumed. The condi­tion worsened with continued drug use.

"The water retention problem didn't start getting really bad until '85 or '86 after four years of steroid use," he explained. "My body chemistry was so whacked out that I couldn't prepare for two shows the same be­cause my reference point was always different. Now I know I had a bad case of candidiasis, and any time I would carbohydrate load, it would flood me out."

After finishing second to Strydom in '86, Mendenhall was pegged as the man to beat in '87. But in spite of his all-out efforts and driving desire to win, the drug use and constant tour­ing pushed him to the point of no return. By the time the '87 Nationals rolled around, Mendenhall's body was completely burned out. Every­one was counting on him to win, and he failed to make it to the finals. Mendenhall was devastated.

"I went into the '87 Nationals on the same drug program I had used in the past and ended up missing my peak completely. It was like the world fell in my lap. At that point I was going through a real crisis in my life. I kept asking myself, 'Now what am I going to do?' "

Mendenhall went home to Cincin­nati to sort things out. One point was clear: He no longer wanted to damage his body by taking steroids. Luckily, he found the medical know-how to put him on the road to recovery. Once he learned what had happened to his immune, endocrine and digestive systems, Mendenhall was able to put all the pieces together. "I've learned so much since I stopped taking steroids," he explained. "If I wanted to take the drugs and really go after it, I could be right in there. But I had to take responsibility for my health and my future life."

People still wonder how Matt Mendenhall, the kid with more natu­ral talent in his right calf than many pro bodybuilders have in their entire bodies, could just up and walk away from it all, but Mendenhall has no regrets. After two years of medical intervention his health is vastly im­proved and his focus is on the future, not the past.

"I used to have a thorn in my side about not winning the Nationals. It was all I wanted, but it doesn't bother me anymore. The way I look at it is, if I had won, it would have taken that much longer to come to the realiza­tions that I came to about my health and my life. We are much more than a physical body. We all need to real­ize that getting as big and as ripped as possible isn't nearly as important as reaching for ultimate health. That's the priority."
V

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2014, 06:39:55 PM »
Read this story in the mags many years ago.

Basically, his problems started out with a constant sore throat and he just fell apart from there.

jude2

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2014, 07:03:07 PM »

Maybe Clomid?

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • I ate an entire box of popsicles the day prior
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2014, 08:10:46 PM »
Should have done more curls

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2014, 08:19:23 PM »
People around him said that he couldn't do the diet. Would cheat on his diet all the time. Just didn't have it in him to stay on a contest diet. So he always came in just off. And he was full of excuses.

trapz101

• Getbig IV
  • team 'THE CORN'
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2014, 08:55:07 PM »

like the natural testosterone injection,same thing
T

titusisback

• Getbig V
  • Team Ban Mom Lostabet
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2014, 11:55:32 PM »

like the natural testosterone injection,same thing

you mean meat popsicle injection?

kreator

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2014, 08:26:00 AM »
People around him said that he couldn't do the diet. Would cheat on his diet all the time. Just didn't have it in him to stay on a contest diet. So he always came in just off. And he was full of excuses.

you can not trust a person who doesn't stick to their diet

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2014, 09:47:45 AM »
BDB's upright rows could have saved his career.

Rudee

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2014, 10:02:47 AM »

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2014, 10:08:31 AM »
BDB's upright rows could have saved his career.

X2.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2014, 10:40:52 AM »
 ;D from the archives
F

Danimal77

• Getbig V
  • Yo Adrian
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2014, 01:17:21 PM »
;D from the archives

1st pic's gotta be photo shopped.

hazbin

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2014, 01:25:27 PM »
1st pic's gotta be photo shopped.

it is

Simple Simon

« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2014, 02:39:58 PM »
Another reason he couldnt turn pro, he was trying to keep up with her.

Alucard

• Getbig IV
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2014, 04:43:56 PM »
Amazing physique... He probably didn't have the monstrous tolerance of certain top pros... Him, Strydom and probably De Mey had the size potential to go toe to toe with Haney...