Author Topic: I Have Been Blown Away By This Today  (Read 4845 times)

Rudee

• Getbig V
Re: I Have Been Blown Away By This Today
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2014, 03:11:56 PM »
$25 "small allowance"?  Most likely it's $25/month, not a week.  As that's ridiculous.

Cold

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2014, 03:35:03 PM »
I'd be more impressed if that kid did this at age 15.

At age 5, he/she has no use for money.

Swede!!

• Getbig II
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2014, 03:41:16 PM »
$25 is a small allowance? I give my kid a pack of chewing gum and he's delighted

Cool thread but This.

Thats a Massive allowance for a 5 year old lol.

I remember getting 20-40sek 3-6$. At the allowence age, started @ 3$. Cant remember exactly what age. But that was the common sum in our Neighbourhood.
One of the rich kids got 15. And that was A lot  ;D

Never been broke since hehe.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2014, 03:43:45 PM »
Its cool that youre so into animal welfare. I wish more people were. Its a shame how human being pillage and destroy everything.
X

Rudee

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2014, 03:51:58 PM »
When I was a kid, if I mowed front and back lawn, and helped with other yard work on Saturday, I would get $5 allowance.  After-which, I would go to the arcade near my house, exchange it for quarters, and spend most of the day in smoke-filled arcades playing arcade games like Space Invaders, Asteroids, and Defender.   This was around 1980,  probably before some of you were born. 

irishdave

• Getbig V
  • It ain’t over ‘TIL it’s over
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2014, 04:13:07 PM »
Yeah - but in 30 years time, she'll be kicking some schmuck out of his own house.

You have to wonder what happens to those lovely young girls when they get older...

oh its a girl...assumed it was a guy  :P

she might be one of the few good women out there so!

ismoseppo

« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2014, 04:34:56 PM »
oh its a girl...assumed it was a guy  :P

she might be one of the few good women out there so!

i dont think it says either

Lustral

• Getbig V
  • FREE NOODLES
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2014, 04:44:40 PM »
When I was a kid, if I mowed front and back lawn, and helped with other yard work on Saturday, I would get $5 allowance.  After-which, I would go to the arcade near my house, exchange it for quarters, and spend most of the day in smoke-filled arcades playing arcade games like Space Invaders, Asteroids, and Defender.   This was around 1980,  probably before some of you were born. 

Long as they earn it fuck it. My parents spoiled me. Not with money but I never had to clean dishes or hang clothes. These are life skills, not chores. You are handicapping your child for the real world by spoiling them.

Took me a while to realise that smart as I am, I still need to wash dishes, put clothes away and and wipe piss off the toilet seat. Sadly it took a gf to point this out to me.

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2014, 04:50:07 PM »
i dont think it says either
have you ever thought about working at an animal shelter? Or a place that rehabs horses?

ismoseppo

« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2014, 05:04:20 PM »
have you ever thought about working at an animal shelter? Or a place that rehabs horses?

not allowed to work or volunteer around people
also volunteers have to submit criminal record checks---epic fail for me

thats why i do stuff on my own or on the net

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2014, 05:10:31 PM »

Oh, ok...
I know that some people work as farm hands for housing. And there are people who work at the racetracks---horse grooms and get to lodge at the race tracks.

Lustral

• Getbig V
  • FREE NOODLES
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2014, 05:17:21 PM »

Google's a bitch for criminal records but could you not lie and see what happens?

It's ridiculous that past problems with drugs or one assault on a person etc can ruin your professional life. It will change as more activities become criminal.

Slik

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2014, 12:04:52 AM »
1. Cool kid. Great attitude.
2. Great opportunity for him to learn a life long lesson he will always remember.
Giving all his earned or allowance money saved in this case teaches on the one hand the importance of helping others but teaches him nothing of reality. Very few adults can afford to give 1000 dollars to a pet rescue and no one but an insane or dying adult would give all their money away. Not like u need parenting advice cuz sounds like ur doing a great job but how about this. Sit him down split the money into ten piles. Teach him about SHARING money or charity. Explain to him u love him but even u cannot give him all your money every allowance or the family would not survive. Tell him one pile out of the ten can go to the pound. One to three piles must remain in savings. He cannot spend those piles no matter what. The rest he can use for toys, candy wutever the f. Tell him its best to save as much as he can and every few months he can keep doing the ten pile spilt n give one pile away to charity.

Then again wtf do I know?  Good kid. Ob good parents too

Oh. Forgot. Who give a fuk?  This is Getbig. Not the Oprah forum.

Simple Simon

« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2014, 12:34:02 AM »
A well respected getbig member, one who doesn't engage in all the bickering we all and is more of a quieter background member sent me this pm today, and gave me permission to post it as long as he remains anonymous:

I literally am speechless beyond belief. Massive respect.

and to the trolls---theres a time for trolling but this isnt it. This member has proved to me this is legit but simply wants to remain anonymous as  its a pretty quiet member anyways. Please respect this, it is truly amazing.

Josh, you didnt send the kid threatening e-mails to make her donate the money did you?

LittleJ

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2014, 12:56:47 AM »
Josh, you didnt send the kid threatening e-mails to make her donate the money did you?

;D

syntaxmachine

• Getbig IV
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2014, 02:58:06 AM »
The kid could've bought two ~2.5 bitcoins with that allowance -- assets that will be worth $2.5 million in approximately ten years. Then, he could've then used some of that money for charity.

He just let thousands of African children die by blowing his load early so that he could feel good about himself. Selfish piece of shit.

Ronnie Rep

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2014, 04:43:02 AM »
a 5 yr old with a $25 a week allowance?  :-[
This!

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2014, 07:22:29 AM »
On it's own, you can't really judge a parent for that.

My kids (4,11) get zero allowance but then again it's not as if we don't treat them on a regular basis. Like if we go into 7-11 and my gal wants an ice lolly, she gets one. If she had an allowance she could buy it herself. Who is to say one is better than the other.

My son gets money for washing the car and stuff but with the homework load they get out here now, it'd be damn near impossible for him to get the things he needs from money for chores. They just don't let up on the kids in the schools out here.

So, we all do things our own way. I do presume you are a parent and not one of those non-parents that likes to tell parents they are doing everything wrong, right?

Anyway - kids tend to be generous. Out here whenever we see a disabled beggar in the street (a common site, sadly), my 4 year old asks me for money, goes over and drops it into their cup and gives them a respectful high "Wai" (The Thai version of the Japanese bow). It's lovely to see. It always gets a surprised smile because she doesn't look Thai and they don't expect the Wai. It's never prompted, it's just a child seeing someone in need and helping out.

So anyway - the young girl in question did a wonderful thing. Saving her money and giving it to charity - I think that in itself says the parents are doing something right, don't you think?

I have children so Im not a non parent.

It's cool the child wanted to donate her money

Your kid giving your money to the homeless is cute and all but the reality is, 4 and 5 yr olds have no clue of the value of money, what it takes to earn it so the gesture while nice, is just a gesture.

Like someone else said, I would be more impressed if it were a 15 yr old doing it verses a 5 yr old who has zero use for money anyway.

But again, it's a nice gesture and hopefully as the child matures, the attitude of helping continues

Simple Simon

« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2014, 07:23:33 AM »
I have children so Im not a non parent.

It's cool the child wanted to donate her money

Your kid giving your money to the homeless is cute and all but the reality is, 4 and 5 yr olds have no clue of the value of money, what it takes to earn it so the gesture while nice, is just a gesture.

Like someone else said, I would be more impressed if it were a 15 yr old doing it verses a 5 yr old who has zero use for money anyway.

But again, it's a nice gesture and hopefully as the child matures, the attitude of helping continues

and that now josh eases up on the kid and stops the harassment.

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2014, 08:14:57 AM »
But this is coming from a man who single handidly wiped out the entire population of an island to get his daughter back.

;D