Author Topic: 'Steroids slowly killing the gym-obsessed youth'  (Read 1965 times)

Costanza

• Getbig IV
  • ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐ Team 5 plates a side on uprights
'Steroids slowly killing the gym-obsessed youth'
« on: April 03, 2014, 02:34:15 AM »
From an Australian news site.

OLI Cooney was 20 years old and obsessed with working out.

The young man from West Yorkshire, UK, was similar to so many Australian gym junkies, devoting hours to his physique.

Unfortunately, this led him to begin injecting anabolic steroids to reach his ideal body weight.

Mr Cooney, who started training at the age of 16, suffered two heart attacks and three strokes but ignored repeated warnings to stop his hardcore exercise regime.

After being diagnosed with chronic heart damage he continued to train while telling his family he was “invincible and limitless”. By this stage he was in severe denial, had weakness down one side of his body and his speech had been affected.

On September 22, 2013, Mr Cooney collapsed at a friend’s house after a night out and died in hospital.

His death has been officially attributed to substance abuse this week at an inquest in Bradford, West Yorkshire.

Assistant Bradford Coroner Dr Dominic Bell said: “He had this weakness that he was driven to alter his body image to become more confident in society.”

“For most people what had already happened to him would have been a wake-up call but he was not willing to listen to or learn from the heart professionals.”

Doctors in Australia have also raised concerns about the impact of steroid use.

Dr Steve Hambleton, the head of the Australian Medical Association, said steroids are the country’s fastest growing injectable drug.

“We are worried because steroids can be sourced from anywhere,” he said. “They can have all sorts of side effects and affect everywhere in the body.”

Dr Hambleton said gym culture, “perfect body image” and sales and marketing campaigns all contributed to steroids’ popularity.

He said doctors are worried about female body image, but we should be worried about men too.

The negative side effects of inappropriate steroid use also include aggression, skin changes, hair growth, testicular atrophy and the development of liver cancers.

In Mr Cooper’s case the use of steroids led to him suffering heart attacks and stroke.

The injectable drug is becoming more common in Australia, with detections of steroids at the border skyrocketing from 1038 in 2010-11 to 6126 in 2011-2012, according to the Australian Crime Commission.

Many Australians have died from anabolic steroid use. For instance, 24 New South Wales residents died from anabolic steroid use between 1996 and 2012, according to the state’s Department of Forensic Medicine. All of them were men with an average age of 31.7.

jon cole

• Getbig IV
Re: 'Steroids slowly killing the gym-obsessed youth'
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2014, 03:18:36 AM »
there are 12 millions ppl in new south walles...24 "indirect" died in 26 years...damn steroid are reallyyyyyy dangerous.
asstropin

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2014, 03:23:08 AM »
How many did the dingo take?

Knooger

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2014, 04:24:52 AM »
How many did the dingo take?

I thought dingos just ate babies.

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2014, 04:29:23 AM »
I think more people die in Oz from all the fucked up alien bugs that they have. What the fucking fuck?

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2014, 04:34:37 AM »
Many Australians have died from anabolic steroid use. For instance, 24 New South Wales residents died from anabolic steroid use between 1996 and 2012, according to the state’s Department of Forensic Medicine. All of them were men with an average age of 31.7.

False information.

http://www.ergo-log.com/cause-of-death-steroids-usually-means-recreational-drugs.html

littledumbells

• Getbig III
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2014, 07:53:46 AM »
 No great loss. The gene pool periodically needs a good dose of chlorine

Kim Jong Bob

• Getbig V
  • KIM JONG IL ORIGINAL BEATIFULL MAN WITH GLASSES
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2014, 08:01:08 AM »
Steroids are cool

Costanza

• Getbig IV
  • ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐ Team 5 plates a side on uprights
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2014, 10:49:31 PM »
I think more people die in Oz from all the fucked up alien bugs that they have. What the fucking fuck?

True, we've got some fucked up poisonous alien technology here, more dangerous than the steroids.

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
  • "Check my soundscan, Check my instagram"
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2014, 01:24:19 AM »
What a embarrassing story.
"gym-obsessed'' really means "instragram obsessed"

Everyone taking selfies at the gym, hashtagging everything, if that's what's killing them, then too bad.

why do NBA players take pics of there suits and mansion's and post it on instagram?? we know you make 10M+ a year...we believe you.
Congratulations on the success but too take a pic, upload it for all to see is someone that has issues.
What a self absorbed society, I expect a naïve teenager to do it, not a 35 yr old...maybe that's normal now.

I met a girl last week, she start texting, she msgs me "show me some pics" I have 2 pics of myself on my phone and there with my nieces, fuck that, taking pics of myself, that's why I got a mirror. she sent me 20 selfies, deleted and blocked her.

Papper

• Getbig V
  • Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do.
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2014, 04:36:48 AM »
Good!

Simple Simon

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2014, 04:38:44 AM »
she sent me 20 selfies, deleted and blocked her because she was ugly

fixed.

Teutonic Knight

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2014, 03:12:51 PM »
Only poorly inform juniors take 'Steroids' (20th century drugs) & easily detectable  :P
Smart kids (with cash) get modern day 'Juice' not yet on Wada's list  ;D