Author Topic: 20 years today. Grind hard - Don’t quit!  (Read 5359 times)

Tony Doherty

• Expert
  • Getbig IV
  • Pro Promoter
Re: 20 years today. Grind hard - Don’t quit!
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2014, 04:02:18 PM »
Haha yes, a true rags to riches story with only hundreds of thousands of dollars of parents money for startup

I probably didn't explain that properly. My parents did not have money. I borrowed from the bank and used their home for bank guarantee. If I had fucked up worse, they would not have lost money, they would have lost their family home. Big difference between that and being handed money.

Army of One

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2014, 04:13:14 PM »
I probably didn't explain that properly. My parents did not have money. I borrowed from the bank and used their home for bank guarantee. If I had fucked up worse, they would not have lost money, they would have lost their family home. Big difference between that and being handed money.

You sound like a loving, thoughtful son

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
  • my love for ronnie will never die
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2014, 04:14:59 PM »
You sound like a loving, thoughtful son
i know right ;D ;D ;D

gambling his parents house on a gym

Tony Doherty

• Expert
  • Getbig IV
  • Pro Promoter
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2014, 04:49:51 PM »
I agree with you all on that. I was a prick, lost and out of control. I think I covered that in the story. Took me a while to work that out but I am the first to admit to the mistakes I made and the path I took. I guess I wrote this to give some light to others that had started bad and were doubting their ability to turn it around.

I doesn't matter how you fall, it matters how you get up.

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2014, 04:55:31 PM »
doherty is a good guy

he just needs to stop wearing pin stripe suits because he's not a man of power, which is what it represents

old-school-lifter

• Getbig IV
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2014, 04:58:10 PM »
TD

you are a champ
and deserve all the success youve achieved

great inspiration to many and a guy who really cares about and supports BB in australia

congrats on 20 years and here's to 20 more!

i hope you eventually can run the IFBB in australia, Paul + carol graham only have cared about themselves

all the best TD

That_Dude

• Getbig III
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2014, 05:27:49 PM »
Good read. Congrats man

ChopperRider

• Getbig V
  • Ugly, bald Shitso scalp for sale = $1
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2014, 07:40:09 PM »
I lie on bench to train everyday ;D

And lie on Getbig every day that you're a lifetime natty.

hazbin

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2014, 08:21:25 PM »
21 years ten months  and 24 days since I opened mine.

D.O.U.P

• Getbig III
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2014, 09:16:39 PM »
Tony-

Much respect.

You seem like a decent dude who EARNED his success.

LittleJ

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2014, 10:14:52 PM »
A true millionaire getbigger

jwb

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2014, 10:16:54 PM »
Any pics from the initial setup in 1994?

blackpele

• Getbig III
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2014, 10:31:53 PM »
Great story.

Tony Doherty

• Expert
  • Getbig IV
  • Pro Promoter
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2014, 10:37:05 PM »
Any pics from the initial setup in 1994?

Here is one of Sonny and one of Vic Richards.

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2014, 11:03:55 PM »
And lie on Getbig every day that you're a lifetime natty.
yes this guy gets away with too much lies

Frank Clairmonte

• Getbig IV
  • TEAM KAI GREENE #BELIEVE
« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2014, 11:20:29 PM »
Flex looks massive, Is it before or after his car crash? If he had no crash and competed in 1994 Olympia it would had been interesting.

btw. Was he guestposing ? Do you have some pictures Tony if he did? thx. Always looking for rare pictures of Flex, best aesthetic bodybuilder ever.

and If I remember correctly you were working on some work with Flex, how is it going?

Tony Doherty

• Expert
  • Getbig IV
  • Pro Promoter
« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2014, 12:41:05 AM »
Flex looks massive, Is it before or after his car crash? If he had no crash and competed in 1994 Olympia it would had been interesting.

btw. Was he guestposing ? Do you have some pictures Tony if he did? thx. Always looking for rare pictures of Flex, best aesthetic bodybuilder ever.

and If I remember correctly you were working on some work with Flex, how is it going?

Hi Frank, he was guest posing, however I cant find any pictures. The Flex project is coming along nicely. We have a DVD coming where we have interviewed just about everyone. Including all of his peers, his old karate coaches and media people. I got him to open up about everything, including the car accident, the ninjas and his demons.
It will be out later this year.

travisma

• Getbig II
« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2014, 02:22:10 AM »
I have had the pleasure of doing some business with Tony and I can honestly state that there isn't a harder working person I have ever met.

What amazes me is that every time I have gone to see Tony in Brunswick is that he takes the time to sit down have a coffee and speak some gossip about life in general, whilst he is still working the phone taking the time to say hello to everyone that walks through the door to train.

I can only wish that I had the drive and passion that Tony has on a day to day basis. The man runs multiple gyms, FitX, Contests and everything else between….Personally I am waiting on him to take over MMA for Melbourne as well!!!!….

Congrats on 20 years. Success for you has been well deserved Tony.

Travis

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2014, 02:27:21 AM »
Coach is busy rearranging all 4 pieces of equipment, and painting them with both arms above his head holding a pidgeons feather after reading this

Wolfox

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2014, 02:32:42 AM »
parents money pays off ;D

haha elephant in the room.

Still, great story of persistence.
A

Wolfox

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2014, 02:37:18 AM »
Damn, I almost feel guilty for not starting a hardcore gym...  :-[

RIP ponytail of peace

Doesn't get anymore hardcore than this.  :o

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/law-order/bikie-shootings-drugs-in-sport-and-often-caught-up-in-it-is-gym-owner-and-cleanskin-tony-doherty/story-fnat79vb-1226607996413

GYM owner Tony Doherty is a man who doesn't discriminate. Much like courts, his gyms are among the few places where elite sportspeople rub shoulders with underworld figures, policemen - even judges.

Sometimes they are scenes of drama.

Bandidos sergeant-at-arms Toby Mitchell was talking to Doherty outside his Brunswick gym when he was shot several times in late 2011.

The Herald Sun has learned of links between Doherty's Gym and Shane Charter, the convicted drug trafficker linked to the scandal engulfing the AFL's Bombers.

It was at Doherty's Brunswick gym two decades ago that Charter is alleged have met a supplements supplier who would prove useful to Charter's drug-dealing ambitions.
A

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2014, 03:01:50 AM »
Doesn't get anymore hardcore than this.  :o

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/law-order/bikie-shootings-drugs-in-sport-and-often-caught-up-in-it-is-gym-owner-and-cleanskin-tony-doherty/story-fnat79vb-1226607996413

GYM owner Tony Doherty is a man who doesn't discriminate. Much like courts, his gyms are among the few places where elite sportspeople rub shoulders with underworld figures, policemen - even judges.

Sometimes they are scenes of drama.

Bandidos sergeant-at-arms Toby Mitchell was talking to Doherty outside his Brunswick gym when he was shot several times in late 2011.

The Herald Sun has learned of links between Doherty's Gym and Shane Charter, the convicted drug trafficker linked to the scandal engulfing the AFL's Bombers.

It was at Doherty's Brunswick gym two decades ago that Charter is alleged have met a supplements supplier who would prove useful to Charter's drug-dealing ambitions.

Damn, I didn't knew this. That's actually one of my reasons not to start a hardcore gym business; the world of BB and fight sports is full of criminals. :-\

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #47 on: April 09, 2014, 03:13:04 AM »
great story bro, i can relate
R

Bosch

• Getbig III
« Reply #48 on: April 09, 2014, 03:38:58 AM »
Hey Tony, before I start to grind hard tell for those who are not familiar with you (like me) how it's going? You have chain of gyms, running bb shows, making millions, doing what you find interesting, have a loving family and so on? Your story have no ending.

Theoak*

• Getbig IV
« Reply #49 on: April 09, 2014, 03:41:12 AM »
Hey Tony, before I start to grind hard tell for those who are not familiar with you (like me) how it's going? You have chain of gyms, running bb shows, making millions, doing what you find interesting, have a loving family and so on? Your story have no ending.

Popcorn ready