Author Topic: Applying for a job you have no experience for  (Read 7777 times)

James28

• Getbig V
  • toilet roll of peace
Applying for a job you have no experience for
« on: April 10, 2014, 05:53:32 PM »
That's what I've gone and done. And now got the interview  :o

It's for a divisional manager reporting directly to the MD. The only people I've ever 'managed' were sending the trainees to fetch my coffee. I've always been working directly with the clients on site or as part or with the developers.

Any of you ever done it? Took a stab at something and it came off?

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
Re: Applying for a job you have no experience for
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 05:58:06 PM »
Yes.

I was new to the lifestyle of being a "schmoe." I did not know where to start, who to turn to, or what to do. However, I knew if I wanted to be the best schmoe, that I needed to take chances. I needed to take risks. I needed to put myself out there for the betterment of the bodybuilding industry. I did and it was fantastic. I am glad that I never looked back.
X

James28

• Getbig V
  • toilet roll of peace
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 06:00:09 PM »
Yes.

I was new to the lifestyle of being a "schmoe." I did not know where to start, who to turn to, or what to do. However, I knew if I wanted to be the best schmoe, that I needed to take chances. I needed to take risks. I needed to put myself out there for the betterment of the bodybuilding industry. I did and it was fantastic. I am glad that I never looked back.

Never had a doubt you could mate. You seem geared for this from Day 1  :D

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 06:06:52 PM »
Never had a doubt you could mate. You seem geared for this from Day 1  :D

Thank you for your words of support and encouragement. I have always been able to count on you.

It's in my blood.
X

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2014, 06:07:52 PM »

It's for a divisional manager reporting directly to the MD. The only people I've ever 'managed' were sending the trainees to fetch my coffee. I've always been working directly with the clients on site or as part or with the developers.

Done it twice, got the job twice...

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2014, 06:18:34 PM »
Focus on your skills.  Lots of things are applicable.
:

James28

• Getbig V
  • toilet roll of peace
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2014, 06:24:12 PM »
I've just been sent through the interview details and persons that would be meeting with me. I'll spend the weekend researching each and everyone of these cocksuckers. I assume if I get past the first stage I'll be meeting with The Man himself. Need a bit of dirt on him. Nothing like dropping a pic of him sucking a dummy wearing a soiled diaper to even out the balance of power a bit  :-X

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
  • Better to die on your feet than on your knees.
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2014, 06:35:17 PM »
Not the same, but related...

Once in the mid 90's I knew I was being severely underpaid compared to others in my field.  I was essential to the department and a very hard worker... my manager knew this and valued my talent.  I decided to throw the dice and told him I got another job and was going to leave the company.  The very next day I received a 30% raise.  It was better than sex.  I found it bizarre that the manager never asked me for the other company's offer letter. 

the trainer

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2014, 06:37:04 PM »

Just make sure you do your research so it sounds like you know what you are talking about when you are in the interview and lie your ass off.

residue

• Getbig V
  • Adonis 3:16
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2014, 06:38:18 PM »
I've just been sent through the interview details and persons that would be meeting with me. I'll spend the weekend researching each and everyone of these cocksuckers. I assume if I get past the first stage I'll be meeting with The Man himself. Need a bit of dirt on him. Nothing like dropping a pic of him sucking a dummy wearing a soiled diaper to even out the balance of power a bit  :-X

99% of management jobs have nothing to do with ability and everything to do with charm. google\twitter\facebook everyone you're being interviewed it find some of their interests and find a way to work it into the interview. if they wanted a skilled professional drone they would have hired an asian or an indian. It's all about showing you're not some mong that cant look anyone in the eye and belongs in a back room writing ledgers

James28

• Getbig V
  • toilet roll of peace
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2014, 06:43:00 PM »
Awesome advice in here. With the charm part, think Sheldon Levine in Glengarry Glen Ross  :D. Just not as slimy.

I'll steer the conversation away from the specifics and into territories I know more about.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2014, 07:01:19 PM »
Yes.

Yes!!!! lol

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2014, 07:05:45 PM »
Feel free to lie and exaggerate at interviews; it's not like they're going to check anyway. And if they do so what, you don't get the job.

A friend of mine tells me about this guy she works with who does this all the time and is always getting high paid jobs he's not qualified for. He loses them sometimes but is able to get them.  ;)

James28

• Getbig V
  • toilet roll of peace
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2014, 07:51:42 PM »
Didn't the ex CEO of Yahoo get caught without having a degree? They never check. I've got my references primed and ready and would only accept email requests which they'll email to me so I can respond back on their behalf.

I'm getting this job. Tired of kicking around with nobodies and middle management.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2014, 07:55:33 PM »
Didn't the ex CEO of Yahoo get caught without having a degree? They never check. I've got my references primed and ready and would only accept email requests which they'll email to me so I can respond back on their behalf.

I'm getting this job. Tired of kicking around with nobodies and middle management.

Use Johnny Falcon as a reference.
X

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2014, 07:57:36 PM »
Feel free to lie and exaggerate at interviews; it's not like they're going to check anyway. And if they do so what, you don't get the job.

A friend of mine tells me about this guy she works with who does this all the time and is always getting high paid jobs he's not qualified for. He loses them sometimes but is able to get them.  ;)
I don't understand applying for jobs you are under qualified for. that's just asking for trouble, whether it's more stress or just plain being incompetent at it. Or perhaps some people are just good at looking like they get shit done..
follow the arrows

Rosicrucian

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
  • Brown paper bags + Bathroom stall + Tom Prince.
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2014, 08:03:57 PM »
Done it twice, got the job twice...

Hey RB, alex here...

No doubts, you've got that winner confident vibe (no homo).

I would say 80% of one's "score" when it comes to qualifying for xyz is confidence, plain and simple. The other 20% is execution. I've applied that rule myself to new hires and been quite successful.

Step 1: dominate the environment in an approachable way. Marking your territory with urine comes to mind but won't last more than 18hrs or so.
Step 2: Establish relationship. If you're inheriting an existing team, size out the players and approach them based on their interest and motivation factors.
Step 3: Establish confidence. Show your team that not only you can execute but that you're the buffer as well and are "there for them". This is pretty universal, applies to code douche all the way to strip club management.
Step 4: emphasis on victory. Remind the team of the "victories" and accomplishments. Share the good news and make them feel like they're part of it.

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2014, 08:05:31 PM »
99% of management jobs have nothing to do with ability and everything to do with charm. google\twitter\facebook everyone you're being interviewed it find some of their interests and find a way to work it into the interview. if they wanted a skilled professional drone they would have hired an asian or an indian. It's all about showing you're not some mong that cant look anyone in the eye and belongs in a back room writing ledgers
100% correct. It's all about shaking hands and kissing babies.

Rosicrucian

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2014, 08:09:13 PM »
100% correct. It's all about shaking hands and kissing babies.

mmm no it's not. You drunk again chief of Grappa?

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2014, 08:10:23 PM »
mmm no it's not. You drunk again chief of Grappa?
Depends on the field and the position. Upper management is always politics.

Rosicrucian

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2014, 08:11:43 PM »
Depends on the field and the position. Upper management is always politics.

Always... but I doubt "James28" is rolling into "C" level shit here.. most likely food supplies are involved. No offence James.

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2014, 08:13:12 PM »
Always... but I doubt "James28" is rolling into "C" level shit here.. most likely food supplies are involved. No offence James.
James is all the way "C" class. Mercedes C class.  :-X

Rosicrucian

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2014, 08:16:27 PM »
James is all the way "C" class. Mercedes C class.  :-X

Comeback options were:

• "James is all the way "C" class. Cauckomania class.  :-X"
  • "James is all the way "C" class. Cuntomania class.  :-X"

You went with an offbase unfunny remark chief, 80's dated FFS. Just spending some time here trying to show you the ropes to wittiness.

I believe in you.

James28

• Getbig V
  • toilet roll of peace
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2014, 08:19:33 PM »
Sick advice in this thread . No food involved though.

I got this.

And Haider. As was said elsewhere. If you need someone to do actual work, get a Paki or Indian and stick them in the back room.

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2014, 08:20:58 PM »
Comeback options were:

• "James is all the way "C" class. Cauckomania class.  :-X"
  • "James is all the way "C" class. Cuntomania class.  :-X"

You went with an offbase unfunny remark chief, 80's dated FFS. Just spending some time here trying to show your the ropes to wittiness.

I believe in you.

I have much to learn.