Author Topic: Applying for a job you have no experience for  (Read 7744 times)

Rosicrucian

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
  • Brown paper bags + Bathroom stall + Tom Prince.
Re: Applying for a job you have no experience for
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2014, 08:57:49 PM »
I have much to learn.

GodSpeed. you will prevail. I see potential and rarely wrong.

I need a replacement soon, you're #1 on my list.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2014, 09:14:16 PM »
Hey RB, alex here...

No doubts, you've got that winner confident vibe (no homo).

I would say 80% of one's "score" when it comes to qualifying for xyz is confidence, plain and simple. The other 20% is execution. I've applied that rule myself to new hires and been quite successful.

Step 1: dominate the environment in an approachable way. Marking your territory with urine comes to mind but won't last more than 18hrs or so.
Step 2: Establish relationship. If you're inheriting an existing team, size out the players and approach them based on their interest and motivation factors.
Step 3: Establish confidence. Show your team that not only you can execute but that you're the buffer as well and are "there for them". This is pretty universal, applies to code douche all the way to strip club management.
Step 4: emphasis on victory. Remind the team of the "victories" and accomplishments. Share the good news and make them feel like they're part of it.

Nice post, hahaha! Good to see you again my 32nd degree brother!

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2014, 10:00:04 PM »
I put my name down as "Big" Roger F. Neegars, that's what my license says.

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2014, 10:09:30 PM »
I don't understand applying for jobs you are under qualified for. that's just asking for trouble, whether it's more stress or just plain being incompetent at it. Or perhaps some people are just good at looking like they get shit done..

I highly disagree. Unless it is a specialized field that requires specific skill or education yes; but most jobs anyone can learn in a short or moderate amount of time, just need to get your foot in the door.
Like the saying goes, it's not what you know but who you know.

ChopperRider

• Getbig V
  • Ugly, bald Shitso scalp for sale = $1
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2014, 10:29:00 PM »
That's what I've gone and done. And now got the interview  :o

It's for a divisional manager reporting directly to the MD. The only people I've ever 'managed' were sending the trainees to fetch my coffee. I've always been working directly with the clients on site or as part or with the developers.

Any of you ever done it? Took a stab at something and it came off?

The interviewer is going to eat you alive. Do you not understand, this is what these people do for a living. He will smell your bullshit, expose your weaknesses, then rub your nose in your shit like a scolded puppy.

You won't make it 3 minutes before they've figured out the gig your playing. Then the dry, unlubed, assfuck begins.

FermiDirac

• Getbig IV
  • That'll do pig, that'll do
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2014, 10:44:12 PM »
Yes.

I was new to the lifestyle of being a "schmoe." I did not know where to start, who to turn to, or what to do. However, I knew if I wanted to be the best schmoe, that I needed to take chances. I needed to take risks. I needed to put myself out there for the betterment of the bodybuilding industry. I did and it was fantastic. I am glad that I never looked back.

^ This

There have been times when I thought I couldn't schmoe anymore. But then a spark was ignited inside me, I knew this was my destiny, to not rest until every male bodybuilder has been groped, molested or wrestled.

pedro01

• Getbig V
  • Hello Hunior
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2014, 11:55:11 PM »
The interviewer is going to eat you alive. Do you not understand, this is what these people do for a living. He will smell your bullshit, expose your weaknesses, then rub your nose in your shit like a scolded puppy.

You won't make it 3 minutes before they've figured out the gig your playing. Then the dry, unlubed, assfuck begins.

I don't know anyone that interviews for a living.

Interviewers for most businesses are just people that work there and have a stake in getting the right person on board. That does not mean they have any clue how to do that.

I have to interview people - it bores the nuts off me. 2 a day is my absolute max.

Just go in & be yourself.  If you look like you'll be capable and easy to work with, that's what they need.

If you go in all aggressive, person interviewing you will be mulling over the possibilities of you being after his job in 6 months....

paradoxno1

• Getbig II
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2014, 12:48:17 AM »
I was rejected at this job interview that I had. Apparently gang rape is not a suitable example to prove that you are good at working in teams.

Papper

• Getbig V
  • Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do.
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2014, 01:34:06 AM »
Many many people who wants to get in the white collar business needs to sell themselves in the beginning of their career

No I am not talking about what goes on in hotel rooms in vegas, but they never have the experience in the beginning so they need to fake it until they make it.

And moreover, some ads are ridiculously riddled with rigid demands for expertise and experience. Many ads addresses people that don't even exist.. just to weed out the insecure people.. in the end it's your personality that decides.

Novena

• Getbig IV
  • "commonsense" shields us from the pain of thinking
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2014, 04:05:56 AM »
Applying for a job you have no experience for
Any of you ever done it? Took a stab at something and it came off?
I have done this.

I was an electrical engineer working telecom in the “oil patch” and was laid off a decade ago. I totally was unable to get another job and I was in dire straits.  

I had interest and expertise in the fine visual arts, classical music and the like, with an engineer’s perspective.  I know which forks to use at a formal dinner, which way a cummerbund goes on a tuxedo, and can go an entire evening without using one single four letter word.

I stumbled ass deep into a job with a non-profit visual/performing arts organization and foundation.  I don’t nearly make as much money as I did with engineering which is a downer.  I, however, am better off than many of my former colleagues. I raise funds and act as a general factotum for the foundation.  

Novena

• Getbig IV
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2014, 04:08:30 AM »
GodSpeed. you will prevail. I see potential and rarely wrong.
 I need a replacement soon, you're #1 on my list.

Je vois que vous êtes de retour.  You have had this identity ready since January 17, 2010.  Again, very prémonitoire.

From March 29, 2014  9:54:11 AM Pacific Daylight Time to April 7, 2014 6:20:17 AM Pacific Daylight Time…
7 days-20 hours-26 minutes- 6 seconds.  

I must say, “You’ve got that ‘thing’”.

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2014, 04:10:41 AM »
Well done James,

Same thing happened to me when Ron headhunted me for the getbig Director of Comedy post. Up till that point my only real experience was severly owning people in the gym, and supermarket.

James28

• Getbig V
  • toilet roll of peace
« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2014, 11:07:26 PM »
Interview is tomorrow. I'm looking forward to this. Bit nervous as I want this but looking forward. Whatever happens, I'm still eating steak tomorrow night  :-X

One of the guys interviewing me looks suspiciously like a fag and the woman like a dyke. Typical  ::)

Thanks for the tips folks. I knew it'll be a great idea asking on here  :D. If not just for the laughs tomorrow before the interview.

Novena

• Getbig IV
« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2014, 11:21:42 PM »

One of the guys interviewing me looks suspiciously like a fag...

He looks like Lyle Alzado?

James28

• Getbig V
  • toilet roll of peace
« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2014, 11:36:10 PM »
He looks like Lyle Alzado?

He looks like Adonis  :-X

I jest, I jest!

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2014, 12:16:53 AM »
Interview is tomorrow. I'm looking forward to this. Bit nervous as I want this but looking forward. Whatever happens, I'm still eating steak tomorrow night  :-X

One of the guys interviewing me looks suspiciously like a fag and the woman like a dyke. Typical
  ::)

Thanks for the tips folks. I knew it'll be a great idea asking on here  :D. If not just for the laughs tomorrow before the interview.

Went to an interview once with an Hr dude who was cool but two weak looking ice cold liberal bitches. You know the kind that only likes guys who are very non threatening. I knew right away I wouldn't get the job.  >:(

Novena

• Getbig IV
« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2014, 12:31:42 AM »
Went to an interview once with an Hr dude who was cool but two weak looking ice cold liberal bitches. You know the kind that only likes guys who are very non threatening. I knew right away I wouldn't get the job.  >:(

Did you wear slacks, jacket, and tie?

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2014, 12:52:05 AM »
Did you wear slacks, jacket, and tie?

Yes but blue shirt. If it would have been pink or purple I may have had a chance.  :-X

James28

• Getbig V
  • toilet roll of peace
« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2014, 12:57:10 PM »
I start on Monday  :D

First week I'm flying around the various regional offices to introduce myself. Melbourne on Tuesday, Sydney Wednesday, Auckland Thursday and back home Friday. Malaysia and Singapore the week after. Took me 33 years but things are on the up and up for the former old Stourbridge Stallion.
Signed the contract on Friday.

There's also talks of making a push into the States so I'll be over there in due time. If anyone wants to train or throw hands   ;)

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2014, 01:02:40 PM »

First week I'm flying around the various regional offices to introduce myself. Melbourne on Tuesday, Sydney Wednesday, Auckland Thursday and back home Friday. Malaysia and Singapore the week after. Took me 33 years but things are on the up and up for the former old Stourbridge Stallion.

There's also talks of making a push into the States so I'll be over there in due time. If anyone wants to train or throw hands   ;)

hah disregard my last post
T

Simple Simon

« Reply #45 on: May 03, 2014, 01:04:52 PM »

Hope you can maintain the pretence.  ;D

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2014, 01:10:18 PM »
Nice going brother.

Globetrotter Of Peace

James28

• Getbig V
  • toilet roll of peace
« Reply #47 on: May 03, 2014, 02:11:18 PM »
Hope you can maintain the pretence.  ;D

Hehe. If not, I'm done in 3 months.

James28

• Getbig V
  • toilet roll of peace
« Reply #48 on: May 03, 2014, 02:11:51 PM »
hah disregard my last post

Didn't see your last post but it's all good brother.

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
« Reply #49 on: May 03, 2014, 02:22:17 PM »

Dildo salesman?