Author Topic: RIP - Vince Comerford  (Read 26993 times)

galain

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Re: RIP Vince Comerford
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2014, 05:18:16 AM »
Never. Because sometimes it's a success story, ala R.Robinson and alikes... Everyone hopes it will turn out the same for them too. The problem is - not everyone has the genes to be it that way... A gamble.

To a point it's gamble, for sure.

If you already know you have a heart condition, and if that condition has already caused some serious ramifications and you still use? That's not a gamble anymore - that's just a week ego and stupidity.

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2014, 05:24:48 AM »
To a point it's gamble, for sure.

If you already know you have a heart condition, and if that condition has already caused some serious ramifications and you still use? That's not a gamble anymore - that's just a week ego and stupidity.

Thats the way I look at it.  He knew he had a heart issue but kept up the usage.   
A

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2014, 06:13:08 AM »
Shawn Ray interviewed him in 2012 and he discussed his heart failure at length and the drug abuse that nearly killed him at an even younger age.

This is the link to the long interview.
http://forums.musculardevelopment.com/showthread.php/124335-1987-NPC-Middleweight-Champion-The-Vince-Comerford-Interview

Wow, what a psycho. I'm not saying that to put him down either, I like these types of guys in many ways. Amazing he lived this long if the heart was that bad back in 2004 already.

Horrible transcription, I assume by Shawn, too many quotation marks etc. :D

That double bi with Strydom looks incredible, yes he's short but very impressive physique.

keanu

• Getbig IV
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2014, 06:32:20 AM »
 Another guy from the era where I started getting serious about training. It must be tough to be a top 20 bodybuilder but not one of huge guys or top few. The money isn't there, and so much is at risk. RIP Vince. Thanks for the memories.

drmarkp

• Getbig III
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2014, 06:33:19 AM »

The Ultimate warrior 54; my friend, bodybuilder/ competitor, and lifetime steroid user, Brian Sutton 54; Vince Commerford 52...

But steroids don't have any serious side effects right?

Who else in bodybuilding did we lose in the last year or so in this age range?

The Grim Lifter

• Getbig IV
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2014, 07:21:39 AM »
The Ultimate warrior 54; my friend, bodybuilder/ competitor, and lifetime steroid user, Brian Sutton 54; Vince Commerford 52...

Kovacs was 44 and Nasser 47.

The stress on the body can only last so long.

Looks like Arnold had it right juicing for 4 months for a comp and cleaning out the rest of the year.

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2014, 07:30:36 AM »
Kovacs was 44 and Nasser 47.

The stress on the body can only last so long.

Looks like Arnold had it right juicing for 4 months for a comp and cleaning out the rest of the year.

I think you're correct.  The guys in the 70s didn't know what to expect and so rested their bodies from that stuff.  It wasn't the "finishing touch" so often touted but neither was it used all the freaking time.  they wanted to live longer than the next show.  Arnold and Zane are two O winners that come to mind that are still with us and looking pretty good not only for their age.

As to this fellow, I tried to read the linked article but merely scanned it and found that he claimed to be born again.  If full of drugs at the time of his death, I seriously doubt his claims to salvation.  Regardless I am sorry for the loss to his family.  It sucks that our egos sometimes get in the way of our lives by shortening them.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2014, 07:48:08 AM »
I'm not going guess on what's or why's this happend but I can tell you this much. These guys using a ton of shit (and I consider anything over 750 a lot) plus the GH and the insulin and everything else that goes along with it, there is no doubt in my mind that their life expectancy is cut by at least 15-20 years. We're starting to see these guys dropping off like flies and bodybuilding is small circles. I would also say between bodybuilding, strongman, powerlifting and yes, WWE style wrestling, it's the bodybuilding and wrestling that have the others beat by light years.

That being said, I'll stick with with powerlifting and strongman training. It may beat the shit out of my joints but at least I'll live to a normal age.

Army of One

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2014, 07:51:11 AM »
It's looking like the guys who started the slin and hgh era are dropping like flies now, not a good sign.

Just as a list off memory, and I don't even follow thongs men, can people add if remember any

Dead

Vince Cumrag
Nasser
Kovacs
Munzer
Luke Wood
Scott Klein
Benaziza

Ill

Tom Princess
Dong Long
Flex Wheeler
Dillet?
Mustafa?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2014, 07:51:35 AM »
He looked incredible at 52.  But with a history of heart trouble, at a height of 5 '2 or 5'3... he looks to be carrying a TON of weight.  Most dudes hit 50, have a health issue, and begin getting skinny, walking for an hour a night and giving up meat and caffeine.  

I can't hate, however.  Dude lived how he wanted to live, and looked how he wanted to look.  For 40+ years, Comerford looked like superman in every room he entered.  He enjoyed a level of props, praise, and goodness knows how much female attention - cause he carried so much muscle.  Dudes die at 52 all the time, and they are skinnyfat that nobody notices.  Dude lived how he wanted to live - I give him props for that.  

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2014, 07:54:49 AM »
It's looking like the guys who started the slin and hgh era are dropping like flies now, not a good sign.

Yup. Milo's said I was full of shit.

TheShape.

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2014, 07:56:45 AM »
This really makes me wonder the fate of today's bodybuilders.

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
  • Better to die on your feet than on your knees.
« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2014, 07:58:22 AM »
Only 52... sad.

They're dropping like flies.

The body cannot tolerate staying "on" for decades at a time.  You play, you pay.

The Scott

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2014, 08:00:29 AM »

Everyone dies.  They will likely pass on sooner and having only lived a life in the gym, not the real world outside it.  

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
  • Better to die on your feet than on your knees.
« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2014, 08:02:30 AM »

Most of these guys have a total disregard for their health.   It's pretty easy to predict what will happen to them.

The Scott

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2014, 08:02:47 AM »
Only 52... sad.

They're dropping like flies.

The body cannot tolerate staying "on" for decades at a time.  You play, you pay.

Yup.  They're dropping like flies because like flies who live on garbage, bodybuilders inject garbage into their bodies.  Garbage in, die young.  

But they look good in their casket.   :-\

da_vinci

• Getbig V
  • Cry me a river
« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2014, 08:02:56 AM »

They probably does, at least in some cases, but's it's not all that simple once again.. I know a man who died a year ago or so, at 41, a father of two youg kids, just dropped dead (from heart failure) while playing basketball. Not overweight, did not abuse alcohol, did not smoke, no bb'ing or drugs obviously, did everything "right" like a good christian husband lol.. Fuck you god.

drmarkp

• Getbig III
« Reply #42 on: April 11, 2014, 08:03:23 AM »

I'm glad I got off my competitive cycles in my late 20's... Thank God that after that school and business got in the way of my BB 'career', which may have spared me health problems later on

Army of One

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: April 11, 2014, 08:05:41 AM »
Randy savage...Derek anthony

da_vinci

• Getbig V
  • Cry me a river
« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2014, 08:05:53 AM »
He looked incredible at 52.  But with a history of heart trouble, at a height of 5 '2 or 5'3... he looks to be carrying a TON of weight.  Most dudes hit 50, have a health issue, and begin getting skinny, walking for an hour a night and giving up meat and caffeine.  

I can't hate, however.  Dude lived how he wanted to live, and looked how he wanted to look.  For 40+ years, Comerford looked like superman in every room he entered.  He enjoyed a level of props, praise, and goodness knows how much female attention - cause he carried so much muscle.  Dudes die at 52 all the time, and they are skinnyfat that nobody notices.  Dude lived how he wanted to live - I give him props for that.  

Lol yeah... strutted around like an oversized deformed hobbit and everyone were impressed by him  :D I'd believe that if he'd have been 6 foot or smth.

Automation

• Getbig IV
« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2014, 08:12:28 AM »
Toxic dwarf kills himself through complete spasticity.... Good for him!

Pet shop boys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2014, 08:22:00 AM »
I remember the First time I saw 2 pro bodybuilders on tv were Johnny Morant and Vince Comerford 1988.....

Until then, My only previous references of bodybuilders were Lou as the Hulk and Arnold as terminator  but when I saw Vince and Johnny featured as current BBers, working out and all  it was very impressive for a teenager like myself to watch.

RIP Vince.

WoooSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #47 on: April 11, 2014, 08:30:52 AM »
Toxic dwarf kills himself through complete spasticity.... Good for him!

How do you how what happen, dumb shit.

simon

• Getbig III
« Reply #48 on: April 11, 2014, 08:37:19 AM »
always thought he was better/more complete than Lee Priest for a shorter guy

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #49 on: April 11, 2014, 08:39:04 AM »
If I recall correctly, didn't he miss the WBF Contest "due to a grave illness" as announced by Mean Gene Okerland? Could this be the same illness responsible for taking his life today?

Sad.

STAY POSITIVE!!!!!

It was pneumonia, according to Gene Okerlund during the '92 championship.