Author Topic: This is a joke, right?  (Read 836 times)

dario73

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
This is a joke, right?
« on: April 11, 2014, 05:07:47 AM »
http://www.9news.com/story/news/education/2014/04/10/dps-undocumented-immigrants-teachers/7549533/

DENVER – Long before Alejandro Fuentes Mena became a fifth grade teacher, he was an undocumented immigrant from Chile.

"I came to the United States when I was four years old," Fuentes Mena said.

In August, he started at the Denver Center for International Studies at Ford Elementary School as part of effort by Denver Public Schools administrators to be the first school district in the nation to actively seek out teachers people who were initially brought to the United States illegally.

Boasberg says it is challenging for DPS to find good billingual teachers to serve its Spanish-speaking population.

dario73

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: This is a joke, right?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 05:09:44 AM »
Why is this stupid?

From the article:
The Colorado Alliance for Immigration Reform has serious concerns regarding DPS's decision to hire DACA individuals. The group said in a statement that it believes the majority of people with DACA status are not properly trained or certified to become teachers:

It is unlikely that most of the illegal aliens with Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) status are trained, qualified, and certified as educators. Indeed, DACA status requires attainment of only a high school diploma or a GED certificate. Using unqualified individuals as "educators" does a tremendous disservice not only to students of all races and nationalities, but to our entire educational system.

The group also said that this decision is unfair to the millions of Americans seeking a full time teacher position:

There are at least 20 million Americans who either do not have a full-time job or are underemployed. This includes teachers. It is neither fair nor appropriate to hire unqualified foreign nationals to replace qualified and experienced American teachers

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 11:46:07 PM »
Why is this stupid?

From the article:
The Colorado Alliance for Immigration Reform has serious concerns regarding DPS's decision to hire DACA individuals. The group said in a statement that it believes the majority of people with DACA status are not properly trained or certified to become teachers:

It is unlikely that most of the illegal aliens with Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) status are trained, qualified, and certified as educators. Indeed, DACA status requires attainment of only a high school diploma or a GED certificate. Using unqualified individuals as "educators" does a tremendous disservice not only to students of all races and nationalities, but to our entire educational system.

The group also said that this decision is unfair to the millions of Americans seeking a full time teacher position:

There are at least 20 million Americans who either do not have a full-time job or are underemployed. This includes teachers. It is neither fair nor appropriate to hire unqualified foreign nationals to replace qualified and experienced American teachers

Are you saying that all DACA hires will consist of unqualified, uncredentialed individuals?

By the same token, an unemployed American citizen does not necessarily make them "qualified", even if they are a teacher, if part of the job requirement is bi-lingualism.
w

bears

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2014, 08:42:51 AM »

Are you saying that all DACA hires will consist of unqualified, uncredentialed individuals?

By the same token, an unemployed American citizen does not necessarily make them "qualified", even if they are a teacher, if part of the job requirement is bi-lingualism.

no I don't think he is.  i bet there are some great teachers. 

but why are you so quick to jump to their defense? 

they're teaching in schools without the training and credentials that are required of American teachers.  if you're not an American, you don't have to follow the rules?  but if you are you do?  there's a lot of legal bilingual American teachers who need jobs.  and they're not easy to get.

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2014, 08:50:46 AM »

they're teaching in schools without the training and credentials that are required of American teachers.  if you're not an American, you don't have to follow the rules?  but if you are you do?  there's a lot of legal bilingual American teachers who need jobs.  and they're not easy to get.

I concur.  There should not be different rules.  I would guess one of the reasons such an arrangement is attractive is that they can pay shit wages and avoid union hassles.
A

bears

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2014, 10:29:05 AM »

I concur.  There should not be different rules.  I would guess one of the reasons such an arrangement is attractive is that they can pay shit wages and avoid union hassles.

right, which he should be concerned about.  its funny the hair trigger reaction young liberals have when they hear anything even remotely associated with illegal aliens. 

they don't think. they just know that to be a good little liberal soldier they need to defend anything and everything that isn't "American".

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2014, 10:49:03 AM »

Did everyone  read the article?  (Not surprised that Dario didn't, lol.)
According to the article, it's been difficult for the Denver Public School system to find qualified teachers who are bi-lingual.  So the state of Colorado has established an alternative teaching license that allows bi-lingual folks to work as teachers who are at the same time taking classes that would enable them to obtain their traditional teaching license(s) within one year and they're giving preference to people who were brought to this country as illegal aliens when they were minors if they also have clean criminal records.  Whoop-de-doo. 

If the above is true, this is no big deal because:
- The best, most credentialed teacher in the world is gonna have a hard time if he or she doesn't speak the same language as the students.
- Hiring folks who share the experiences of those they're teaching can only be good for the students who likely need wholesome role models they can identify with.
- A whopping 2 teachers have been hired so far and they say that plans to hire only about 10 more are in the works.

As someone else mentioned, this issue probably is really about money/salary.  I'm guessing you'd have to offer a lot of $ (comparatively) to a fully qualified and experienced bi-lingual teacher to live and teach in cold-ass Denver.  Probably a lot cheaper to use one of these intern-type folks.  (And, if they're only teaching the kids who currently have very little proficiency in English, it's probably OK, imo.)

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2014, 12:23:32 PM »
According to the article, it's been difficult for the Denver Public School system to find qualified teachers who are bi-lingual.  So the state of Colorado has established an alternative teaching license that allows bi-lingual folks to work as teachers who are at the same time taking classes that would enable them to obtain their traditional teaching license(s) within one year and they're giving preference to people who were brought to this country as illegal aliens when they were minors if they also have clean criminal records.  Whoop-de-doo. 

- The best, most credentialed teacher in the world is gonna have a hard time if he or she doesn't speak the same language as the students.
- Hiring folks who share the experiences of those they're teaching can only be good for the students who likely need wholesome role models they can identify with.
- A whopping 2 teachers have been hired so far and they say that plans to hire only about 10 more are in the works.

As someone else mentioned, this issue probably is really about money/salary.  I'm guessing you'd have to offer a lot of $ (comparatively) to a fully qualified and experienced bi-lingual teacher to live and teach in cold-ass Denver.  Probably a lot cheaper to use one of these intern-type folks.  (And, if they're only teaching the kids who currently have very little proficiency in English, it's probably OK, imo.)

Obviously anything that doesn't involved typing "libtard" or "HEHEHE" is too much to expect from him.  Don't worry, he will be back to cut and paste someone else's opinion of this in an attempt to answer.

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2014, 03:44:38 PM »
Obviously anything that doesn't involved typing "libtard" or "HEHEHE" is too much to expect from him.  Don't worry, he will be back to cut and paste someone else's opinion of this in an attempt to answer.

lol who laughs hehehehe

bears

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2014, 12:57:33 PM »

so what exactly are you saying?  if there is a cheaper way to get something done they should be allowed to go ahead and do it? 

WOW.  that sounds VERY VERY familiar.  it's funny how that argument makes sense to you in this situation but doesn't when those evil AMERICAN corporations find more affordable raw materials and labor overseas.  then you quit being pragmatic and become an AMERICAN.

but for foreign people who don't legally live here you completely change your tune.  I just don't get it.

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2014, 11:38:07 PM »
so what exactly are you saying?  if there is a cheaper way to get something done they should be allowed to go ahead and do it? 

WOW.  that sounds VERY VERY familiar.  it's funny how that argument makes sense to you in this situation but doesn't when those evil AMERICAN corporations find more affordable raw materials and labor overseas.  then you quit being pragmatic and become an AMERICAN.

but for foreign people who don't legally live here you completely change your tune.  I just don't get it.

What I'm saying about this story pretty much amounts to "Whoop-de-doo".  (It's not important.)

Per the article, it says that DPS is having trouble finding bi-lingual teachers.  So to respond by slightly relaxing the credential requirements like we're talking about here (must be on track to be fully credentialed within one year) combined with the small scale of the program seems reasonable enough to qualify this issue as a WGAF-story (besides paranoid freaks Dario and SC, of course, lol).

The part I added about DPS just trying to save money is speculation on my part.  And, for the record, I don't think that's cool if that's what's happening.  Kinda curious as to why you think you know my personal stance on outsourcing by "evil American corporations" (lol) since I don't think I've ever written anything about that subject here on GB.

BTW, if, as you mentioned earlier, you have real knowledge of fully credentialed bi-lingual teachers who are looking for work and those folks are willing to move to Denver, then I can see why you might be annoyed by this story.  If not, though, "nothing to see here, move along". lol

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2014, 05:57:14 AM »

lol who laughs hehehehe

Retarded sissies obviously.