Author Topic: Mountain Bikes - 29 inches???  (Read 3966 times)

pedro01

• Getbig V
  • Hello Hunior
Mountain Bikes - 29 inches???
« on: April 13, 2014, 05:58:21 AM »
Anyone here ride mountain bikes?

I have a 10-12 year old Trek 6500. It's been a great bike but I'm now looking at another set of wheels, front shocks and a bunch of other stuff and the missus said "why don't you get a new one?".

Well - women understand nothing about emotional attachment, do they? But anyway - I guess she has a point so I went round the bike shops yesterday and I'm lost.

All I want is this "something that goes as good or better than my Trek 6500" - I just don't want to end up with a bike that doesn't go as well.

I don't do mountains - but my rides are mostly off road - a good proportion is cement canal paths and some dirt tracks.

So now it's all this hoopla with 29 inch wheels and even this "lefty" fork.

Anyone got any thoughts on this? Most of my rides are 20+ miles and so the weight, acceleration, rolling are really important but I don't see any way to assess all that when looking at 100 different bikes in a showroom.

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
Re: Mountain Bikes - 29 inches???
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 06:02:25 AM »
A trek is a quality bike.  The frame will last for ages.  The only reason I could think of for getting a new bike is if you need a lighter frame.
A

pedro01

• Getbig V
  • Hello Hunior
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 06:10:59 AM »
A trek is a quality bike.  The frame will last for ages.  The only reason I could think of for getting a new bike is if you need a lighter frame.

Last month I had it completely apart and cleaned it all up.

The gears don't last forever, I had to replace the rear derailleur on that service- that was $80 for just that part. I really do need to change the gears, the gear changers on the handlebar too. Because of the price of accessories, by the time I do everything I want, I'll probably have shelled out $4-500 or so.

Seat too - bloody seats out here costing $150 for a decent one. It's madness.

I got road tires now but on the route I take most, I'm getting jarred and so whilst it is flat, it's rough and I'm getting pins & needles in my wrists - so new wheels, tires.

The frame now is aluminium - so it's fairly light.

Rammstein

• Getbig III
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 07:28:38 AM »
I was recommended bikes from Specialized:

http://www.specialized.com/

29 inches apparently makes the ride more comfortable.

FermiDirac

• Getbig IV
  • That'll do pig, that'll do
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2014, 07:52:19 AM »
I was recommended bikes from Specialized:

http://www.specialized.com/

29 inches apparently makes the ride more comfortable.

Specialized is overpriced as hell though, rather go Santa Cruz or similar for that sum.

Rammstein

• Getbig III
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2014, 08:01:41 AM »
Specialized is overpriced as hell though, rather go Santa Cruz or similar for that sum.

Could be. I didn't research it any further.

However, the recommendations came independently from two experienced riders.

pedro01

• Getbig V
  • Hello Hunior
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2014, 04:48:38 PM »
Thanks Ronny...

The shops I have been to so far have all been aligned with a brand - but the shop I feel most comfortable with is Probike in Lumpini who sell mostly Trek bikes - http://www.probike.co.th/en/product.php?cate=2&subcate=3

They really took care of me when I got the old bike,

Shame it's the holidays here (Songkran aka Thai New Year) - I already decided not to get a bike without seeing them first, so I will take your words under advisement.

These guys did really sort me out last time - it was obviously the perfect bike for me because after all this time I'm worried about the next one not being as good.

diesel24v

• Getbig II
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2014, 09:45:17 PM »
i personally like the Specialized 29ers,  my dad rides one he paid like $4500 for it.....the thing with the 29" wheels is I can tell they go thru the trails a lot better and handle just everything a lot better. ive ridden it several times and used to have another one that only had suspension in the front. the full suspension bikes like he has are really only "race bikes" but you could get one a lot cheaper for under a grand that's still in great condition just have to search. I can post a pic tomorrow

pedro01

• Getbig V
  • Hello Hunior
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2014, 11:49:59 PM »
Here's my current bike - with road tires on and the "canal path pedals".

I do have clip in shoes & pedals but the canal paths I ride on are 1.5 meters wide in places with a 6-9 feet drop either side. They have dogs too on there.

This is one of the better maintained paths - almost 2 meters across. I guess. I'd say 60% of my rides are on these, then the rest split between roads and dirt tracks. Those road tires have killed my wrists on the tracks but the things just never puncture.

When a dog comes along and is aggressive, I tend to put my bike between myself and the dog and chase them off. I did used to just ride past them but then I got bitten badly by a nutty dog and had to have rabies jabs.

I'm not sure what sort of pedals to get this time round, is there any new tech pedal-wise? Specifically in stuff that's really fast to get out with so you don't end up in a Thai canal or dog food?

Any anti-dog tech I'd be interested in too!

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2014, 06:31:47 AM »
Where is that path? I would be one day dream away from going in the water.

pedro01

• Getbig V
  • Hello Hunior
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2014, 07:06:36 AM »
Where is that path? I would be one day dream away from going in the water.

East of Bangkok... was out today again. I don't think they are actually 2 meters wide anywhere - I think 1.5 meters tops.

This is the route - just under 30k

The canal paths go on forever. They used to call Bangkok "The Venice of the East" - of course downtown it's not navigable - but out here, you can go for hours and hours on these canal paths. I have barely scratched the surface. A lot of fun.

Tonight I was out and there was a 4 foot lizard in my path - too bad there were a bunch of angry dogs around and I didn't get a shot off...

For those that know Bangkok - Sukhumvit 77 is along the bottom. This route is 26k off road and 4k on.

no one

• Getbig V
  • have i hurt your feelings?
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2014, 02:04:54 PM »
hey dude. funny thread considering i just went thru the same purchase.

i chose 29'er over a 27.5 and the 26. i'll be doing a lot of cross country with it, and i liked the fact i'd have increased tire patch, and more stability on trails. ya the turning radius is a bit wider but for my use i dont plan on doing a lot of technical work.

spend the money and invest in a good one. like you have found w your trek a good bike w good components will last you a decade or better. take the inital outlay and divide that by the number of years you'll have it and the use you'll get out of it. makes laying down 3-4k easier.

i bought a full carbon 29'er hardtail (for my weight) , all x9 components. weighs 22 pounds. its a canadian made bike called Opus (fhast model) , which was what really spurred my purchase as i believe in buying locally. when you consider for the most part its just the frame in most cases that is proprietary, and the components are japanese or american it really doesnt make that big a difference for most people.

honestly bro after all the loyalty your trek has shown you im surprised your not going w a trek 29'er.
b

pedro01

• Getbig V
  • Hello Hunior
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2014, 08:36:37 AM »
That's a nice bike. I think I will go to Trek - but it's Thai New Year and they don't open again till the 21st...

So still on the road tires and rattling all over the place.

Damn path was hardly wider than the handlebars today...

pedro01

• Getbig V
  • Hello Hunior
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2014, 08:19:27 PM »
Well, here she is....

Went back to Probike in Bangkok & got a custom build.

Trek Superfly 9.8 Carbon Fiber frame, Fox Forks and mostly Shimano Deore XT everything else.

29 inch wheels are good - I definitely found myself going faster in fairly tight areas - in fact, I probably need to ease off a bit.

I did find it tends to leave the ground a bit more too. First few times was a surprise - but you get used to it.

basil

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2014, 08:44:24 PM »
Love the ride man.  I bought a new bike last year for the first time since early college (about 17yrs ago).  I'm hooked again.  Got a 26 'cause it's mostly narrow unkept trails around here.  I think I'll get a 29er next year for travelling.  Prob another Rocky Mountain.  Enjoy your purchase!

smoothasf

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2014, 01:35:51 AM »
Don't get caught up in the wheel size junk its pure marketing.  We've taken 29ers on long climbs and they were no faster what so ever, they roll over stuff better and pick up speed quicker once your over 8mph. Which is great if that's the terrain you ride. A 26er or 27.5 will be more fun for jumps and tight forestry trails.  A light 27.5 bike will out perform the same bike in a 29er size. Rotational mass and geometry is what makes a bike ride well.  The specialized enduro 29er has 26inch frame geometry with the big wheels.
Get a giant anthem 27.5 unless your into hard core enduro stuff this will be the best bike you can have. It's full suspension but rides like a hard tail.

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2014, 01:57:09 AM »
Don't have a bike now but recently moved to a house near a very long bike path that happens to run very near my best friends house as well. Will be buying bike soon.

Unfortunately I know very little about bikes so I hope to learn something from this thread.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2014, 05:41:31 AM »
The older I get the more I can't stand the riding positions of mountain bikes. I don't want to rest my weight on my arms as I ride for the sake of being in an aerodynamic position. I ride a hybrid. My Cannondale has internal hub gears and a flick of the wrist adjustable handlebars in every direction. Shock seat and fork. Cost $1000. Good for mild off road and so comfortable on the road. I can't keep up with a skinny high pressure tire road bike but I rarely ride with someone. When I want to go fast I take my recumbent out

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2014, 07:41:26 AM »
That's a nice bike. I think I will go to Trek - but it's Thai New Year and they don't open again till the 21st...

So still on the road tires and rattling all over the place.

Damn path was hardly wider than the handlebars today...

Path and handlebars wider than Heath.

pedro01

• Getbig V
  • Hello Hunior
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2014, 09:48:46 AM »
Path and handlebars wider than Heath.

Yup - gets pretty hairy when dogs start chasing you.

One little fucker was nipping at my legs yesterday - I'm going to buy some pepper spray tomorrow and teach the little bastard a lesson.

That and was also considering some sort of lightweight but sturdy club.

I really don't know the best way to deal with dogs on the bike. Some people say stop - which is ok until doggy doesn't back off when you stop.

Some people say don't look @ them - which is pretty much what I was doing the last time I got bit - I ended up having 5 rabies shots & 3 tetanus. So I need to know if they are chasing me.

Some people say don't speed up - fair enough 'cause if you speed up and the dog gets under your wheels - you could have a really nasty accident.

So I'm thinking basically get tooled up with pepper spray and some sort of club/knife so that you can defend yourself if the dog decides to just come at you anyway.

no one

• Getbig V
  • have i hurt your feelings?
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2014, 11:18:07 AM »
Well, here she is....

Went back to Probike in Bangkok & got a custom build.

Trek Superfly 9.8 Carbon Fiber frame, Fox Forks and mostly Shimano Deore XT everything else.

29 inch wheels are good - I definitely found myself going faster in fairly tight areas - in fact, I probably need to ease off a bit.

I did find it tends to leave the ground a bit more too. First few times was a surprise - but you get used to it.

nice bike dude!

I'm def going to spend some time riding next time I head over there.
b

Skorp1o

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2014, 01:06:03 AM »
I have an inbetween at 27.5 Jamis with full suspension, as when I go mountain biking I tend to do the more awkward trails and jumps so I don't need a down hill fast roller as such, even when I'm at my lightest when doing real sports and laying off the gym Im still weigh around 91kg, hence can't risk a hard tail. I also own a Giant 26" which I took with me on a trip to Morocco two years ago and spent two weeks mountain biking in the Atlas mountains....stopping by villages to eat roast lamb and drink tea with real Moors.

I can see the fun of the 29" though, I tried one in a good trail and rolled down so fast I was shaking with adrenaline in the end. But they're not suitable for jumps and hard bumpy surfaces as much which is what I like and tend to do.

S

basil

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2014, 01:11:02 AM »
I have an inbetween at 27.5 Jamis with full suspension, as when I go mountain biking I tend to do the more awkward trails and jumps so I don't need a down hill fast roller as such. I also own a Giant 26" which I took with me on a trip to Morocco two years ago and spent two weeks mountain biking in the Atlas mountains....stopping by villages to eat roast lamb and drink tea with real Moors.

I can see the fun of the 29" though, I tried one in a good trail and rolled down so fast I was shaking with adrenaline in the end. But they're not suitable for jumps and hard bumpy surfaces as much which is what I like and tend to do.

What do you use for a travel case?  Mountain Equipment Coop in Canada has bike rentals in certain locations, but most don't, so I'll prob just haul my bike with me.  I'll be flying btw, not hauling on a vehicle.  I assume you flew to Morocco.  Thx.

Skorp1o

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2014, 01:15:56 AM »
What do you use for a travel case?  Mountain Equipment Coop in Canada has bike rentals in certain locations, but most don't, so I'll prob just haul my bike with me.  I'll be flying btw, not hauling on a vehicle.  I assume you flew to Morocco.  Thx.

I use a hard plastic case bike carrier, can't remember the brand name now but it's a blue case and just take my bike partially apart and pay for it as sports equipement, sometimes this costs more than my own flight ticket  :( 
S

pedro01

• Getbig V
  • Hello Hunior
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2014, 03:57:23 AM »
Dog defence system now in place....