Author Topic: Jake Roberts on why there are so few good heels...  (Read 22968 times)

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
Jake Roberts on why there are so few good heels...
« on: April 14, 2014, 09:14:14 PM »
On his latest Podcast, Jim Ross asked Jake this question.

Jake said it's because the guys today all wanna be badasses when they need to be more chicken sh!t. Nobody likes a coward.

Now, that's a first class wrestling mind.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Jake Roberts on why there are so few good heels...
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 10:09:42 PM »
It's also because every time a good heel develops, WWE either turns them face or buries them.

Sheamus, Miz, Swagger, Del Rio are all great heel material. But, WWE continues to squander their talent. That's why we keep getting stuck with Orton and Helmsley all over again.

They really wasted Swagger in my view. Yes, I know about the DUI/weed thing (see my Swagger blues thread). But, how many times has Orton been popped but ended up World champ?

Heck, a year ago, Orton couldn't beat Swagger to save his life. Now, a Orton-Swagger match would be considered a joke.

Karl Kox

• Getbig V
  • There's no Kayfabe in the business anymore.
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 04:57:36 AM »

Jake said it's because the guys today all wanna be badasses when they need to be more chicken sh!t. Nobody likes a coward.

Jake Roberts and Pat Paterson are the two best wrestling minds in my opinion. 

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 06:03:07 AM »

Jake Roberts and Pat Paterson are the two best wrestling minds in my opinion. 

There was a Karl Kox connection in the interview. Jake said his first time in the ring was as a referee, and the heel in the match was Bob Sweetan. I googled him. Apparently, he and your dad were tag team partners.

Karl Kox

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 06:40:47 AM »
There was a Karl Kox connection in the interview. Jake said his first time in the ring was as a referee, and the heel in the match was Bob Sweetan. I googled him. Apparently, he and your dad were tag team partners.

Yeah it seems like I knew that.

I think he went to prison for a while for molesting his daughter but she later recanted her statement.  He kinda had the reputation for being a dick.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2014, 06:57:13 AM »

Yeah it seems like I knew that.

I think he went to prison for a while for molesting his daughter but she later recanted her statement.  He kinda had the reputation for being a dick.

Yeah, I did read that as well. I didn't wanna bring it up.  Who hasn't worked with dicks? Lord knows I have and still do. :(

Karl Kox

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2014, 07:03:39 AM »
Yeah, I did read that as well. I didn't wanna bring it up.  Who hasn't worked with dicks? Lord knows I have and still do. :(

Me too. But I'm a dick right back so I guess it evens out.

littleguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2014, 07:57:22 AM »
Now that Jake is on the straight and narrow (knock on wood) WWE needs to get him on board, talent agent, advisor etc.....

Anyone here the interview about how he always incorporated phrases from songs in his promos? Brilliant!

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2014, 08:04:34 AM »
Now that Jake is on the straight and narrow (knock on wood) WWE needs to get him on board, talent agent, advisor etc.....

Anyone here the interview about how he always incorporated phrases from songs in his promos? Brilliant!

Since his appearance on Raw, he's been campaigning for a job. Can't blame the WWE for being skittish about bringing him on board.

littleguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2014, 08:12:37 AM »
Since his appearance on Raw, he's been campaigning for a job. Can't blame the WWE for being skittish about bringing him on board.

Heck they give every other recovering addict a 2nd,3rd and 4th chance.

Regal, Orton, Umaga, Eddie.....and the list goes on

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2014, 09:31:19 AM »

The WWE is becoming more and more corporate. The history of dead wrestlers is something they'd like to be forgotten. IMO, going forward, they're going to have less and tolerance for Alcohol and Drug use (except for steroids, of course ;)).

My guess is that they see the upside of Jake not being worth the possible downside.

Why else wouldn't they hire him? He's a professional wrestling genius.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2014, 10:57:27 AM »

Don't forget Mysterio. How many times did Del Rio have to "break" Rey's arm, because Rey got popped?

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2014, 11:08:24 AM »

And they had the perfect heel to do that last year........FAAAAAAAN-DAAAAAAAN-GOOOOOO!!!

What was the point of having him beat Jericho at WrestleMania last year, if they weren't going to use him? Heck, the NY fans practically GIFT-WRAPPED him as a major heel the night after 'Mania. And WWE blew it.

Maybe they're trying to push him again by dropping Summer Rae and giving him Layla as his manager.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2014, 11:10:05 AM »
And they had the perfect heel to do that last year........FAAAAAAAN-DAAAAAAAN-GOOOOOO!!!

What was the point of having him beat Jericho at WrestleMania last year, if they weren't going to use him? Heck, the NY fans practically GIFT-WRAPPED him as a major heel the night after 'Mania. And WWE blew it.

Maybe they're trying to push him again by dropping Summer Rae and giving him Layla as his manager.

Because his gimmick is quite possibly the worst gimmick EVER.

Oh. My. God.

Just horrendous.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2014, 11:19:18 AM »

Oh. My. God.

Just horrendous.

Any worse than the Honky Tonk Man (the GREATEST INTERCONTINENTAL CHAMPION OF ALL TIME!!)??

That's my point! There are BEAST-Super-Destroyer heels (like Lesnar).

There are creepy heels like Wyatt.

And, there are cornball chicken#^#& heels (as Jake called them) like Fandango, complete with "New Generation"-style" pyro.

WWE can use them all.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2014, 11:20:46 AM »
Any worse than the Honky Tonk Man (the GREATEST INTERCONTINENTAL CHAMPION OF ALL TIME!!)??

That's my point! There are BEAST-Super-Destroyer heels (like Lesnar).

There are creepy heels like Wyatt.

And, there are cornball chicken#^#& heels (as Jake called them) like Fandango.

WWE can use them all.

Totally worse than THTM...

I think the dancing thing is just the issue... Just be a chickenshit heel and go to it... Don't need any of that stupid crap.

He can't even dance really... it's just silly.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2014, 11:22:51 AM »
Totally worse than THTM...

I think the dancing thing is just the issue... Just be a chickenshit heel and go to it... Don't need any of that stupid crap.

He can't even dance really... it's just silly.

The dancing is what makes up his chicken heel persona. They wasted Jericho's jobbing to him at WrestleMania.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2014, 11:25:44 AM »
The dancing is what makes up his chicken heel persona. They wasted Jericho's jobbing to him at WrestleMania.

Agreed on the job waste... if you are doing the job at WM for an undercard, then something good should come of it.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2014, 11:29:14 AM »
Agreed on the job waste... if you are doing the job at WM for an undercard, then something good should come of it.

I get what you're saying. Initially, I didn't like Fandango either. But the guy grows on you.

He's corny; he's goofy. The (bizarro-world) NY fans were cheering for him on Raw, even after Jericho beat the crap out of him during his match with Kingston.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2014, 12:30:52 PM »
Fandango is the wrestling equivalent of a one hit wonder.

Flair talked about women, money and being a champion.

What can Fandango talk about?

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2014, 03:12:48 PM »
Fandango is the wrestling equivalent of a one hit wonder.

Flair talked about women, money and being a champion.

What can Fandango talk about?

Why does he have to be compared to Flair? I'm not even talking about him being a world champion at any point.

We need more jerks and folks that Jake referred to as chicken@^&# as heels. Fandango fits the bill.

He's a lot like Honky or Ravishing Rick, a certifiable jerk. You enjoy watching him get beat up; but (at times) somehow he ends up winning and it irks you BIG TIME.

littleguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2014, 07:41:45 AM »

Oh. My. God.

Just horrendous.

Nuff said

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2014, 11:57:22 AM »
Honky Tonk Man was a great heel because he was annoying as hell and you just wanted to see him get the shit pounded out of him.  He was such a coward that you knew even your blind grandma could probably get an easy 2 count on him, probably even win.

Another great heel coward was Arn Anderson in the beginning.  Back when he was the NWA TV Champ.  He stipulated that all his matches go to some weird time limit, like 9, 11, 13 or 23 minutes.  (Before it was settled on an even 20 minute).  And he would spend most of that time outside the ring, running the clock down and avoiding his opponent.

Greatest heel now in wrestling is Vince himself because he constantly pissed me off with how fast he can ruin an angle or fuck someone over with their push.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2014, 06:44:14 PM »
Honky Tonk Man was a great heel because he was annoying as hell and you just wanted to see him get the shit pounded out of him.  He was such a coward that you knew even your blind grandma could probably get an easy 2 count on him, probably even win.

EXACTLY!! And Fandango fits that same mold. You want to see him get beat up in the worst way. But, somehow he manages to win. He's a certified jerk, with the right mix of athleticism and cowardice.

Greatest heel now in wrestling is Vince himself because he constantly pissed me off with how fast he can ruin an angle or fuck someone over with their push.

Ryback and Swagger can attest to that.