Author Topic: how poor were you growing up???  (Read 7490 times)

Thick Nick

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • "Some want to look good, others want to do good."
Re: how poor were you growing up???
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2014, 04:36:44 AM »
Pretty poor. My Dad was shot 3 times when I was 5 in a robbery, lost the use of his left arm, and we lost our family business. So from 5 until I was about 15 and able to really contribute, we struggled. My older sister and I made sure things never got too bad though. Now, I'd say both my sisters family and my own are upper middle class... Prolly due to that experience.
$

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2014, 04:44:39 AM »
The kids in my school all had fountain pens in their top pockets.
I couldnt afford a fountain pen, in fact, I couldnt afford a top pocket.

I went to one of the best grammar schools in the country, but my parents were on state benefits. It SUCKED big time to be on meal tickets, and only have 50p a day ( I say only but I was very grateful) when ALL of the other kids has lawyer/doctor/accountant parents and were pulling out £10 at the ice cream van at lunch. But it was very character building and it's helped me to value what I'm able to give my son

Lol that mutherfuckers getting £50 for the ice cream van  ;D

JediTerminator

• Getbig IV
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2014, 06:37:30 AM »
foster care most of my life. went to jail a slew of times in my teens (prob deep down to escape foster care), and turned out to be a failure of an adult. the government system is just a cradle to the grave welfare system

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2014, 06:49:56 AM »
foster care most of my life. went to jail a slew of times in my teens (prob deep down to escape foster care), and turned out to be a failure of an adult. the government system is just a cradle to the grave welfare system

At least you aren't Shizzo bro

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2014, 06:50:39 AM »
I've seen both sides....wealth and poverty.   From birth to age 11 I experienced wealth in my home.  From age 12 and beyond my parents suffered lots of financial hardship....bankruptcy, foreclosure on our home, collapse of their business, repossession of vehicle, tattered clothes, no money, etc....  We went from Cadillac to Pinto wagon and times were very lean. 

My wife has experienced worse though.  She's gone from warm house and normal living to utter collapse of family, differing forms of abuse, divorce, time in battered women's shelter as a kiddo, moving school to school, barely living paycheck to paycheck (and many times not), months of toast and gravy for each meal, etc....

People have experienced far worse than both of us ever have, but I'm thankful for the difficult times because it gives us perspective today and allows us to cherish the blessings in our lives so often taken for granted.

Tedim

• Getbig V
  • "Ну GetBig, ну погоди"
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2014, 06:52:49 AM »
Came to Murica with one suitcase and no money.....had to start from nothing, poor but educated. Overcame the poor part in time.

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2014, 07:09:26 AM »
 God Bless America gentlemen...lololol

dustin

« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2014, 07:42:48 AM »
Poor. as. fuck. Mom had me when she was 16 and my dad dropped out of school and started delivering pizzas and selling weed. I remember growing up brutally poor and although it cause some childhood depression, it shaped who I am. If I had an affluent upbringing I would be 100 times more of a cu-nt and wouldn't appreciate anything like the way I do. Growing up poor as fuck was the most important thing that's happened in my life.

brb, remembering the feeling I felt when my parents bought me an Adidas tracksuit in elementary school. Felt better than the first time crushing a vagina. 8)

RagingBull

• Getbig IV
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2014, 07:49:52 AM »
 ;D

We were so poor, my folks used to buy all our clothes from the ex-army store.

For 10 years, I went to school dressed as a Japanese General.

basil

• Getbig IV
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2014, 09:02:02 AM »
I was so poor that my old man used to fill garbage bags with air and put them out front just to make it look like we had stuff to throw away.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2014, 09:11:19 AM »
We were so poor we thought quality entertainment was a six pack and a bug zapper.

Kim Jong Bob

• Getbig V
  • KIM JONG IL ORIGINAL BEATIFULL MAN WITH GLASSES
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2014, 09:28:45 AM »
True adonis  himdhold laughs at yours

Novena

• Getbig IV
  • "commonsense" shields us from the pain of thinking
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2014, 09:42:00 AM »
how poor were you growing up???

Four Yorkshire men,

Tim Brooke-Taylor, Graham Chapman, John Cleese, and Marty Feldman (Igor) in the original incarnation:

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2014, 09:52:38 AM »
I've seen both sides....wealth and poverty.   From birth to age 11 I experienced wealth in my home.  From age 12 and beyond my parents suffered lots of financial hardship....bankruptcy, foreclosure on our home, collapse of their business, repossession of vehicle, tattered clothes, no money, etc....  We went from Cadillac to Pinto wagon and times were very lean. 

My wife has experienced worse though.  She's gone from warm house and normal living to utter collapse of family, differing forms of abuse, divorce, time in battered women's shelter as a kiddo, moving school to school, barely living paycheck to paycheck (and many times not), months of toast and gravy for each meal, etc....

People have experienced far worse than both of us ever have, but I'm thankful for the difficult times because it gives us perspective today and allows us to cherish the blessings in our lives so often taken for granted.

Reminds me of that scene with Ray Liotta from Blow

"Sometimes your flush and sometimes your bust and when you're up it's never quite as good as it seems and when you're down you never think you'll get back up again, but life goes on"

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2014, 10:13:17 AM »
I was so poor I had to wear hand me downs and eat at salvation army.
I grew up on cereal and noodles
we was so poor we had to eat out of the garbage cans at the salvation army. but me and my brother didn't care because we did alright. we'd rather be good-looking instead of rich anyway.
F

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2014, 12:54:13 PM »
Reminds me of that scene with Ray Liotta from Blow

"Sometimes your flush and sometimes your bust and when you're up it's never quite as good as it seems and when you're down you never think you'll get back up again, but life goes on"

That is the truth.

kh300

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2014, 01:11:22 PM »
We were so poor our house got robbed and they didn't steal anything but left 50 dollars.

James28

• Getbig V
  • toilet roll of peace
« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2014, 01:11:47 PM »
I grew up during the Communist Thatcher years (I jest, I'm a fan) but with both grandads working in Oil and my dad a Chemical Engineer, we hardly struggled.

I still got fuck all though and had to suck up a news paper round to earn money. My dad must've been a secret Jew.

ESFitness

• Getbig V
  • i win.
« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2014, 01:18:43 PM »
It shows in your photos.

and your 'postings' here show you were an abused, lonely child, devoid of social skills.

bradistani

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2014, 01:30:43 PM »
very..!

i knew it was bad when tea was one potato (sliced and deep fried, known as scollops here) shared between my mum, me and my sister.

many a time it was oxo and bread every fucking day. one time all we had was broad beans in tomato sauce. i still hate them to this day.

my earliest memory of embarrassment was in primary school and wearing shoes where the toe had split from the sole and all my toes were hanging out. it was like something from a chaplin film  ;D

but yeah, we were fucking tramps

liberty

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2014, 01:37:43 PM »
We were so poor we had to eat the lint off the rugs....

gym**rat

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2014, 02:16:03 PM »
My dad worked his ass off 60 hours in a factory every week and my mom worked full time as well. We still did not have much. My swimming pool as a kid was an old steel wheel barrow with a small hole in it. I had to keep the hose running in it so I could keep cool. Now I have a 38' X 16' in-ground pool. Oh, how things change.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2014, 02:26:15 PM »
My dad worked his ass off 60 hours in a factory every week and my mom worked full time as well. We still did not have much. My swimming pool as a kid was an old steel wheel barrow with a small hole in it. I had to keep the hose running in it so I could keep cool. Now I have a 38' X 16' in-ground pool. Oh, how things change.

You're like my best friend.   Dude grew up dirt poor.  Mother left him as a young boy, he was raised by his Dad (who worked his butt off) and they had NOTHING.  Later he ended up livin with his grandmother.  Dude is now a successful IT manager and has a beautiful home with a big ole swimming pool, lovely wife, beautiful daughters and now he's taking care of his Dad.  

Things do change.

DanielPaul

• Getbig IV
« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2014, 04:13:10 PM »
So poor we had to go to grandparents house frequently because we had no food and we live in a trailer worse than Johnny Falcons.

SCRUBS

• Getbig III
« Reply #49 on: April 15, 2014, 04:27:09 PM »
So poor I couldn`t afford to pay attention...