Author Topic: how poor were you growing up???  (Read 7495 times)

Pandemic

• Getbig IV
Re: how poor were you growing up???
« Reply #50 on: April 15, 2014, 05:15:57 PM »
So po we had to put the or in lay-away.

Pretty poor for most of my early childhood, then my mom landed a great job, and things turned around for us big time (still there after 30+ years).

Despite the poverty, I can still say I had a great childhood, and those "lean" years gave me a toughness that has helped me throughout my adult life.

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
  • my love for ronnie will never die
« Reply #51 on: April 15, 2014, 05:16:54 PM »
so poor my parents couldnt afford a bentley :(

honest

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #52 on: April 15, 2014, 08:43:28 PM »
As new immigrants to a country we were poor, never had sodas, ate at restaurants, never had a holiday, but it installed a will and drive in me that i am eternally grateful to my parents for to this day

Rosicrucian

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
  • Brown paper bags + Bathroom stall + Tom Prince.
« Reply #53 on: April 15, 2014, 09:04:51 PM »
we got WIC... they brought milk, Kix cereal, eggs and cheese.
We used to wait on the corner in the snow in akron, OH... waiting for uncle to drive by after work so he could take us someplace.   we had AMHA housing... made our way from the crack neighborhood to trailer park in south florida. 
mac n chz, and tuna patties 4 nights a week, bologna the other 3 nights.  meals on wheels for summer.

these days, being middle class feels like millionaire status :) 
4 BR house with double den > double wide trailer with palmetto bugs falling thru holes in roof. 
Can't stop smiling, looking back at those days. 

Great honesty of peace..

240 = awesomely dedicated dude raising great kids. I'm proud of you chief. We've talked about this before.

Had it pretty rough too early on, before my dad and my adoptive mom extracted me from misery. Going to the church to get clothes. People showing up with handouts, powdered milk next to a 6 pack and a 2 liter of pepsi....  being beat up for no reasons with a 1980's phone receiver because I wanted to talk to my dad... worse was being thrown on the porch naked because I was crying that I missed my dad lol... then hit me with the screen door... 8 or 9 stitches on the forehead. that's when my dad called it quit and saved me from her. She killed herself a couple of years ago. Bon Débarras.

I was lucky enough to get adopted by one of the greatest lady in the world who took me in as her son. Case closed. She loved my dad and loved me so much that she wanted more lil' Alexes... then came my sister and two brothers.. they owe me big time, I sealed the deal for my dad  8).

Life = not morally linear. but if you survive and have faith, things always work out.

Today we're one united family (of war) and absolutely inseparable. We all look alike and dominate with love  8)

BOW

• Getbig III
« Reply #54 on: April 15, 2014, 11:57:42 PM »
We were so po we couldn't afford the last two letters

BOW

• Getbig III
« Reply #55 on: April 16, 2014, 12:00:17 AM »

Pretty poor for most of my early childhood, then my mom landed a great job, and things turned around for us big time (still there after 30+ years).

Despite the poverty, I can still say I had a great childhood, and those "lean" years gave me a toughness that has helped me throughout my adult life.
ah fuck didn't see that :(

phreak

• Getbig V
  • Food is amazing
« Reply #56 on: April 16, 2014, 12:09:09 AM »
We were so poor, my family bulked up in Auschwitz.

Kim Jong Bob

• Getbig V
  • KIM JONG IL ORIGINAL BEATIFULL MAN WITH GLASSES
« Reply #57 on: April 16, 2014, 02:25:23 AM »
Great honesty of peace..

240 = awesomely dedicated dude raising great kids. I'm proud of you chief. We've talked about this before.

Had it pretty rough too early on, before my dad and my adoptive mom extracted me from misery. Going to the church to get clothes. People showing up with handouts, powdered milk next to a 6 pack and a 2 liter of pepsi....  being beat up for no reasons with a 1980's phone receiver because I wanted to talk to my dad... worse was being thrown on the porch naked because I was crying that I missed my dad lol... then hit me with the screen door... 8 or 9 stitches on the forehead. that's when my dad called it quit and saved me from her. She killed herself a couple of years ago. Bon Débarras.

I was lucky enough to get adopted by one of the greatest lady in the world who took me in as her son. Case closed. She loved my dad and loved me so much that she wanted more lil' Alexes... then came my sister and two brothers.. they owe me big time, I sealed the deal for my dad  8).

Life = not morally linear. but if you survive and have faith, things always work out.

Today we're one united family (of war) and absolutely inseparable. We all look alike and dominate with love  8)
shit, did it leave any scars from growing up like that? Storys like this that makes me grateful of my childhood, we didnt go to restaurants or by the lateat toys but we where raised by loving parents and had food on our table

visualizeperfection

• Getbig V
  • Getbig sponsored athlete.
« Reply #58 on: April 16, 2014, 02:37:55 AM »
ah fuck didn't see that :(

sometimes it pays to shut your cock-sucker, and open your peter-gazers.

Teutonic Knight

• Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: April 16, 2014, 03:26:24 AM »

I grew up with 2 German Schmeisser machine guns & playing Al Capone in Ford Galaxy 63 & Chevy Monte Carlo 1970 (what a car),
2 Willy Jeeps.My old man was obsess with big American vehicles, at 1 stage there was 6 of them  ::), great time,replica pistols &
revolvers,watching Fords classic westerns,......................fuck there is nothing like childhood  :P

Kim Jong Bob

• Getbig V
  • KIM JONG IL ORIGINAL BEATIFULL MAN WITH GLASSES
« Reply #60 on: April 16, 2014, 03:37:35 AM »
I grew up with 2 German Schmeisser machine guns & playing Al Capone in Ford Galaxy 63 & Chevy Monte Carlo 1970 (what a car),
2 Willy Jeeps.My old man was obsess with big American vehicles, at 1 stage there was 6 of them  ::), great time,replica pistols &
revolvers,watching Fords classic westerns,......................fuck there is nothing like childhood  :P
i workwith a 45 year old australien dude he told me 30 years ago you could in australia buy willys jeeps and military harleys cheap as fuck ,stored  i n military containers  since the ending of ww2 and many where never used and as new

Teutonic Knight

• Getbig V
« Reply #61 on: April 16, 2014, 03:52:15 PM »
i workwith a 45 year old australien dude he told me 30 years ago you could in australia buy willys jeeps and military harleys cheap as fuck ,stored  i n military containers  since the ending of ww2 and many where never used and as new

www.mdjuan.com , they still make Willy on Philippines  :D

JK8 Wrangler is my favourite (with 17' wheels)

gcb

• Getbig IV
  • you suffer, why?
« Reply #62 on: April 16, 2014, 09:34:17 PM »

EDIT: terribly sorry - this has already been posted

Rosicrucian

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #63 on: April 16, 2014, 09:47:07 PM »

Awesome. I bet your mom was very loving and caring.. all that counts.

Good parenthood = foundation to a great upbringing.

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #64 on: April 16, 2014, 10:33:55 PM »
So poor we couldn't even afford water. We had to mix our own Hydrogen and Oxygen together. Thankfully things have gotten better now...
No doubt about it...

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #65 on: April 16, 2014, 11:54:03 PM »

You're just a likeable guy!!!  ;D

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #66 on: April 16, 2014, 11:54:36 PM »
So poor we couldn't even afford water. We had to mix our own Hydrogen and Oxygen together. Thankfully things have gotten better now...

Awesome ROFL!!!  ;D

visualizeperfection

• Getbig V
  • Getbig sponsored athlete.
« Reply #67 on: April 16, 2014, 11:56:06 PM »
You're just a likeable guy!!!  ;D

whats wrong roger ??? ::)

no more yank pistol ;D ;D ???

maybe neegars has "classic havana films"  :P :P

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #68 on: April 17, 2014, 12:27:21 AM »

maybe neegars has "classic havana films"  :P :P

U a clearly  ;D trolling yours mark here.  ::) 8)

Well done.

:D

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #69 on: April 17, 2014, 09:48:19 PM »

maybe neegars has "classic havana films"  :P :P

hahahahahha fucking dead on impression!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would love to know that guy in real life.  ;D ;D ;D

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #70 on: April 17, 2014, 09:53:21 PM »
Pretty poor but my parents were real bad with money plus a little gambling addiction mixed in for good measure. I remember once going to school and in my lunchbox was a govt cheese sandwich and cheeses sticks. Good thing I liked cheese, still do.  ;D

I shouldn't complain too much about my childhood but it could have been way better if my parents had their heads on straight. At least it taught me what NOT to do.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #71 on: April 17, 2014, 11:19:15 PM »
Pretty poor but my parents were real bad with money plus a little gambling addiction mixed in for good measure. I remember once going to school and in my lunchbox was a govt cheese sandwich and cheeses sticks. Good thing I liked cheese, still do.  ;D

I shouldn't complain too much about my childhood but it could have been way better if my parents had their heads on straight. At least it taught me what NOT to do.

Sorry bro, but I legit lol'd when I read the "plus a little gambling addiction mixed in for good measure." part!!  ;D

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #72 on: April 17, 2014, 11:45:41 PM »
Sorry bro, but I legit lol'd when I read the "plus a little gambling addiction mixed in for good measure." part!!  ;D

Yeah, as if being terrible with money and gravitating towards debt wasn't bad enough.  :-X

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #73 on: April 17, 2014, 11:52:18 PM »

Yeah, as if being terrible with money and gravitating towards debt wasn't bad enough.  :-X

Something must of gone right though, cause that situation spawned one of the best human beings on getbig!!

Same with our friend Rosicrucian.

8)

Rosicrucian

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #74 on: April 18, 2014, 02:22:49 AM »

Something must of gone right though, cause that situation spawned one of the best human beings on getbig!!

Same with our friend Rosicrucian.

8)

Roger that  8)

Just my thoughts but when it comes to challenges in your upbringing, I think it's a "sink or swim" type of situation. Either you learn from it and use it to harden your psyche and learn the "don'ts"  or go in the same direction all balls... kinda of an acceleration in natural selection if this makes any sense; the genetics strains have excessive traits but will the next generation use it in a more productive way?

Much like Calfy, I wouldn't be where I am today without this "challenging" part of my life. That "fire in my belly" was extremely strong late teens and early twenties.