Author Topic: All about guitar  (Read 15510 times)

The Ugly

• Getbig V
Fuck this thread turned gay very quickly!

No, it has matured. Like wine.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
Never like wine its a pussy drink for women.

You, sir, are a ruffian.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
Credit TA, of course.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
You, sir, are a ruffian.
Harrumpph. Ten paces, Sirrah.

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
Vincent. Sometimes it's called Starry starry night. I don't believe you have never heard Vincent. You know your music.

A little too slow/girly for me. I believe someone here said "tried to be deep". I've only heard it on the radio a few times. Not terrible, but not a good follow up to his one hit.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
Slash is overrated. Mark Knopfler is my favourite guitarist/musician. He can play fast but always in a beautiful way. He is also very creative.

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
Thank You!

And "Yes" ~ here you go:

Well done sir, Bravo!

Chimps, lighten up a bit, I was always more of a Springsteen, Hall & Oates, U2 and Queen fan, but GnR was pretty good MAINLY due to Slash.

In my opinion, Slash was probably one of the top 5 guitar players (Rock) of all time. In the world of Rock n Roll, I'd probably only put Eddie Van Halen, Hendrix, Brian May and Jimmy Page ahead of him. You disagree?

"1"

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
Well done sir, Bravo!

Chimps, lighten up a bit, I was always more of a Springsteen, Hall & Oates, U2 and Queen fan, but GnR was pretty good MAINLY due to Slash.

In my opinion, Slash was probably one of the top 5 guitar players of all time. In the world of Rock n Roll, I'd probably only put Eddie Van Halen, Hendrix, Brian May and Jimmy Page ahead of him. You disagree?

"1"
I don't know if I'd put Slash up their... I generally put him tier 2, with the likes of Zakk Wylde, Dimebag Darrell... etc.

Van Halen, Clapton, Hendrix, SRV... tier one guys.

Slash just played blues scales REALLY fast and well, but he didn't really innovate.

Page I guess I could consider tier 1... Brian May I probably wouldn't put up there....

The Ugly

• Getbig V
Slash is overrated. Mark Knopfler is my favourite guitarist/musician. He can play fast but always in a beautiful way. He is also very creative.

Not Angus, he's your mate?

visualizeperfection

• Getbig V
  • Getbig sponsored athlete.
Well done sir, Bravo!

In my opinion, Slash was probably one of the top 5 guitar players (Rock) of all time. In the world of Rock n Roll, I'd probably only put Eddie Van Halen, Hendrix, Brian May and Jimmy Page ahead of him. You disagree?

"1"

I cant knock those names.^

But I think the current progressive guitarists are the best ever.

Guthrie Govan

Tosin Abasi

Paul Waggoner (between the buried and me)

People are quick to call my generation "nothingness" and include the music, by in large this could be considered accurate, but there are some very talented musicians today as well.

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
I don't know if I'd put Slash up their... I generally put him tier 2, with the likes of Zakk Wylde, Dimebag Darrell... etc.

Slash just played blues scales REALLY fast and well, but he didn't really innovate.

There was no innovation on Slash's part. Innovation, in the way only Hendrix, Keith Richards or Clapton could bring, won't be seen anytime soon. At least, I don't think so.

"1"

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
Theres a helluva lot of talented guitar players playing hardcore metal, prog rock, and jazz... but when talking about the "greats", I try to put them into the tier system... and you generally have to limit it to the guys that really changed things and influenced the masses in a way that shifted music around or took playing to a new level.

The thing now is that it's pretty much all been done.. guitar playing now is more about honing skills that already exist and taking techniques to the next level... all the great innovation has kind of already been done.

TrueGrit

• Getbig V
  • Big dude...all the way big dude.
Hendrix could play guitar with his teeth and still make a decent sound.
O

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
There was no innovation on Slash's part. Innovation, in the way only Hendrix, Keith Richards or Clapton could bring, won't be seen anytime soon. At least, I don't think so.

"1"
Ha, I was typing the post below yours to no one in particular, as you were posting what you posted.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
Hendrix could play guitar with his teeth and still make a decent sound.
Hendrix bothers me.. he innovated, and he's beloved... but the fact that he was constantly out of tune pisses me the fuck off. His rendition of the star spangled banner makes me SOOO mad because he's always out of fucking tune. It pisses me off to no end. And a lot of his stuff really bores me... but certain tunes are just awesome, and he changed the way that people played. Clapton did as well, but Clapton could tune his fucking guitar. And he discovered the modern day overdrive/distorted sound that we've grown to love.

visualizeperfection

• Getbig V
  • Getbig sponsored athlete.
Theres a helluva lot of talented guitar players playing hardcore metal, prog rock, and jazz... but when talking about the "greats", I try to put them into the tier system... and you generally have to limit it to the guys that really changed things and influenced the masses in a way that shifted music around or took playing to a new level.

The thing now is that it's pretty much all been done.. guitar playing now is more about honing skills that already exist and taking techniques to the next level... all the great innovation has kind of already been done.

I think that there just isnt a place in modern music for virtuoso guitarists. Its worth wondering if some of the modern greats would of excelled in generations past, but thats the equivalent of arguing a Mike Tyson Vs Ali in their primes (tyson would murder ali btw)

I think both Slash and EVH were overrated.

Honorable Steve Vai mention needed.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
Well done sir, Bravo!

"1"
Good, solid, work-a-day stuff. Why start posting up second levelers!? If you're gonna start working a 'music snob' thread, why not actually post up examplars? There are so many we could cite.  ???  

TrueGrit

• Getbig V
Hendrix bothers me.. he innovated, and he's beloved... but the fact that he was constantly out of tune pisses me the fuck off. His rendition of the star spangled banner makes me SOOO mad because he's always out of fucking tune. It pisses me off to no end. And a lot of his stuff really bores me... but certain tunes are just awesome, and he changed the way that people played. Clapton did as well, but Clapton could tune his fucking guitar. And he discovered the modern day overdrive/distorted sound that we've grown to love.

I agree. Technically maybe not the greatest but as a whole package - a showman, king of cool, performance as art, he is unparalleled.
O

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
I think that there just isnt a place in modern music for virtuoso guitarists. Its worth wondering if some of the modern greats would of excelled in generations past, but thats the equivalent of arguing a Mike Tyson Vs Ali in their primes (tyson would murder ali btw)

I think both Slash and EVH were overrated.

Honorable Steve Vai mention needed.
EVH and Rhodes both innovated and created the modern lead guitar sound... so he has to be in there. He also really brought the multi-hand fretting (tapping) sound into the mainstream.

A lot of the current metal guitarists are simply amazing,... but as you said, they actually complement the music rather than BEING the music ala virtuoso. As such they aren't really noticed.

The Ugly

• Getbig V

Page I guess I could consider tier 1... Brian May I probably wouldn't put up there....

Not a guitarist, so forgive my ignorance, but why is Zakk tier 2? Aside from the pinch harmonics, the guy seems f'n incredible to me. Also, where do you put Rhoads?

TrueGrit

• Getbig V
I find EVH incredibly self indulgent and rather overrated. Yes, I am aware that hardcore guitar fans love him but I find his overly long solos mind numbingly boring.
O

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
Not a guitarist, so forgive my ignorance, but why is Zakk tier 2? Aside from the pinch harmonics, the guy seems f'n incredible to me. Also, where do you put Rhoads?
Rhoades, tier one due to innovation/changing the game with EVH slightly in front, simply due to the fact that he was more mainstream and influenced more people.

Wylde is tier 2 because, while flat out amazing, he didn't really change the game. Although I love his southern rock/metal fusion style and he's one of my biggest influenced as a player, but I don't think he has the broad influence to be considered tier 1. As a player, hes among the best.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
Rhoades, tier one due to innovation/changing the game with EVH slightly in front, simply due to the fact that he was more mainstream and influenced more people.

Wylde is tier 2 because, while flat out amazing, he didn't really change the game. Although I love his southern rock/metal fusion style and he's one of my biggest influenced as a player, but I don't think he has the broad influence to be considered tier 1. As a player, hes among the best.

I thought it might have to do with innovation, but wasn't sure. You should post a video playing some BLS, just block out your face and whatnot.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
I thought it might have to do with innovation, but wasn't sure. You should post a video playing some BLS, just block out your face and whatnot.
Lol.... Maybe some day. I haven't been playing much recently, due to work and family... but I might have to break the rust off my strings.  :D

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
Great thread, but November Rain is in the same category as Don McLean's 'The Day the Music Died.'  Farking overblown, pretentious, self-indulgent horribleness.   

Well, I don't know if I would put it that way. From a guitarist's point of view it's more "melodic" and reminiscent of David Gilmour with Pink Floyd.

You really can't compare too many of the top guitarist b/c each of them has their own unique style regardless of their influences.

I would never say Eddie Van Halen is better than Jimi Hendrix or vice versa. Each of them is great at what they do and they were in the right place at the right time for what they were doing with their music.

Music and the love thereof is entirely subjective. If it were not, we wouldn't have rap, rock, blues, country, jazz, folk, classical, etc.

Everyone would just play the same thing and everyone would just like the same thing. It couldn't work. Creativity would have taken a shit long before that could happen.

How you would read such specific personality/character traits and somehow transpose that into musical tones is a bit mystical. I don't know how you would do it, but I do know that some will go as far as to call certain grouped notes some pretty intense names.

For example: The intro to Jimi Hendrix' "Purple Haze" which involves three specific tones played simultaneously has been deemed "the Devil's Triad"

Pretty crazy stuff. I don't look at music that way.

Here is some history for the musicians (or not) who dig education.

Comment: "I've been teaching some basic piano to my girlfriend this evening, and
while looking for references I've noticed that the Intertubes abound with
a persistent rumor: that the tritone, aka the Devil's Interval (C-F# for
example, or the first two chords in Jimi Hendrix' "Purple Haze") has been
banned by the Catholic Church, from the Middle Ages onward. For what it's
worth, Wikipedia pooh-poohs the story, but there are a zillion people who
perpetuate it without question. At the very least I would love to find out
whence came this urban legend (if it is indeed an urban legend)."

Banned by the Catholic Church? These notes are speaking messages?

Oh well. Ramblin' on ~