Author Topic: All about guitar  (Read 15509 times)

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
Well done sir, Bravo!

I was always more of a  Queen fan,

"1"

....and in today's other shocking news stories we've learned that water is wet and the moon is very far away.....

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming....
Y

the trainer

Cat coore from the third world band.

the trainer

The great carlos santana

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!

Well, I don't know if I would put it that way. From a guitarist's point of view it's more "melodic" and reminiscent of David Gilmour with Pink Floyd.

You really can't compare too many of the top guitarist b/c each of them has their own unique style regardless of their influences.

I would never say Eddie Van Halen is better than Jimi Hendrix or vice versa. Each of them is great at what they do and they were in the right place at the right time for what they were doing with their music.

Music and the love thereof is entirely subjective. If it were not, we wouldn't have rap, rock, blues, country, jazz, folk, classical, etc.

Everyone would just play the same thing and everyone would just like the same thing. It couldn't work. Creativity would have taken a shit long before that could happen.

How you would read such specific personality/character traits and somehow transpose that into musical tones is a bit mystical. I don't know how you would do it, but I do know that some will go as far as to call certain grouped notes some pretty intense names.

For example: The intro to Jimi Hendrix' "Purple Haze" which involves three specific tones played simultaneously has been deemed "the Devil's Triad"

Pretty crazy stuff. I don't look at music that way.

Here is some history for the musicians (or not) who dig education.

Comment: "I've been teaching some basic piano to my girlfriend this evening, and
while looking for references I've noticed that the Intertubes abound with
a persistent rumor: that the tritone, aka the Devil's Interval (C-F# for
example, or the first two chords in Jimi Hendrix' "Purple Haze") has been
banned by the Catholic Church, from the Middle Ages onward. For what it's
worth, Wikipedia pooh-poohs the story, but there are a zillion people who
perpetuate it without question. At the very least I would love to find out
whence came this urban legend (if it is indeed an urban legend)."

Banned by the Catholic Church? These notes are speaking messages?

Oh well. Ramblin' on ~
Good post. As I said I try to avoid the "whos best" arguments and stick to arranging them into tiers based on influence and innovation.. they're all great players in their own rights... they're not "better", they're just "different".

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
Hendrix bothers me.. he innovated, and he's beloved... but the fact that he was constantly out of tune pisses me the fuck off. His rendition of the star spangled banner makes me SOOO mad because he's always out of fucking tune. It pisses me off to no end. And a lot of his stuff really bores me... but certain tunes are just awesome, and he changed the way that people played. Clapton did as well, but Clapton could tune his fucking guitar. And he discovered the modern day overdrive/distorted sound that we've grown to love.

Hendrix for guitarist is truly known for his creativity. He was NOT technical, and yes, his guitar was out of tune a lot. But you have to realize, had there not been the development of the Kramer locking tailpiece, Eddie Van Halen would be known for the VERY SAME THING!

Hendrix was innovative. A lot of guitarist followed his "lead" ~ he wasn't "technical" like Marty Freidman from Megadeth  might be or as speedy and precise as Yngwie Malmsteen, BUT he knew the hardcore original blues inside and out.

A lot of today's guitarist's could be so much "better" if they understood the blues the same way that Jimi did.

It's like an MMA fighter not knowing how to fight on the ground. Today most great guitarists are very-well rounded. Much more than most people realize. There are studio guitarists out there that you will never see, but they put all the great "performers" to shame. Why? They read music, they compose, they record, they teach and they master their craft under very close scrutiny.

Can't jam on a guitarist who has made it to the big time. People like to do that with Mick Mars, but nobody would have fit Motley Crue any other way.

They used to call Jimmy Page "sloppy" yet nobody could duplicate his shit....

Ramblin' on.

The info is there, you just gotta keep an open mind. All music has something in common. Hope I don't have to point it out ~

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum

Well, I don't know if I would put it that way. From a guitarist's point of view it's more "melodic" and reminiscent of David Gilmour with Pink Floyd.

You really can't compare too many of the top guitarist b/c each of them has their own unique style regardless of their influences.

I would never say Eddie Van Halen is better than Jimi Hendrix or vice versa. Each of them is great at what they do and they were in the right place at the right time for what they were doing with their music.

Music and the love thereof is entirely subjective. If it were not, we wouldn't have rap, rock, blues, country, jazz, folk, classical, etc.

Everyone would just play the same thing and everyone would just like the same thing. It couldn't work. Creativity would have taken a shit long before that could happen.

How you would read such specific personality/character traits and somehow transpose that into musical tones is a bit mystical. I don't know how you would do it, but I do know that some will go as far as to call certain grouped notes some pretty intense names.

For example: The intro to Jimi Hendrix' "Purple Haze" which involves three specific tones played simultaneously has been deemed "the Devil's Triad"

Pretty crazy stuff. I don't look at music that way.

Here is some history for the musicians (or not) who dig education.

Comment: "I've been teaching some basic piano to my girlfriend this evening, and
while looking for references I've noticed that the Intertubes abound with
a persistent rumor: that the tritone, aka the Devil's Interval (C-F# for
example, or the first two chords in Jimi Hendrix' "Purple Haze") has been
banned by the Catholic Church, from the Middle Ages onward. For what it's
worth, Wikipedia pooh-poohs the story, but there are a zillion people who
perpetuate it without question. At the very least I would love to find out
whence came this urban legend (if it is indeed an urban legend)."

Banned by the Catholic Church? These notes are speaking messages?

Oh well. Ramblin' on ~
Thoughtful post. Nice.    :)

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
Slash is overrated. Mark Knopfler is my favourite guitarist/musician. He can play fast but always in a beautiful way. He is also very creative.

Oh boy.

Comparing two completely different guitarist. Who made the most money? Who is the most recognizeable? Who still packs out stadiums?

Mark Knopfler will always be known for his finger-picking trills in the solo to "Sultans of Swing" other than that... not so much. Yes, he is great. Yes he is creative.

Do you know how many songs Slash has written that have instantly gone platinum or better?

Trust me when I tell you, there is no comparison.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
Thoughtful post. Nice.    :)

You play an instrument, Doc? You seem very musically versed.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
Oh boy.

Comparing two completely different guitarist. Who made the most money? Who is the most recognizeable? Who still packs out stadiums?

Mark Knopfler will always be known for his finger-picking trills in the solo to "Sultans of Swing" other than that... not so much. Yes, he is great. Yes he is creative.

Do you know how many songs Slash has written that have instantly gone platinum or better?

Trust me when I tell you, there is no comparison.

When you think of guitar, you just don't think Dire Straits. Am I wrong?

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
You play an instrument, Doc? You seem very musically versed.
Second trombone in HS. Otherwise, just a lover of music, and a student/critic. Totally convinced that the years '65-'75, rock-music-wise, are Biblical.  

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!

Hendrix for guitarist is truly known for his creativity. He was NOT technical, and yes, his guitar was out of tune a lot. But you have to realize, had there not been the development of the Kramer locking tailpiece, Eddie Van Halen would be known for the VERY SAME THING!

Hendrix was innovative. A lot of guitarist followed his "lead" ~ he wasn't "technical" like Marty Freidman from Megadeth  might be or as speedy and precise as Yngwie Malmsteen, BUT he knew the hardcore original blues inside and out.

A lot of today's guitarist's could be so much "better" if they understood the blues the same way that Jimi did.

It's like an MMA fighter not knowing how to fight on the ground. Today most great guitarists are very-well rounded. Much more than most people realize. There are studio guitarists out there that you will never see, but they put all the great "performers" to shame. Why? They read music, they compose, they record, they teach and they master their craft under very close scrutiny.

Can't jam on a guitarist who has made it to the big time. People like to do that with Mick Mars, but nobody would have fit Motley Crue any other way.

They used to call Jimmy Page "sloppy" yet nobody could duplicate his shit....

Ramblin' on.

The info is there, you just gotta keep an open mind. All music has something in common. Hope I don't have to point it out ~
Oh I agree, I wasn't detracting from him is accomplishments at all... just that he's a paradox for me. I really appreciate what he did and what he's added to the instrument.... but that his tuning issues frustrate me so greatly when I listen to his stuff

Also agree on studio.musicians.

the trainer

At the end of the day the most important thing is the size of your arms while playing the guitar.

visualizeperfection

• Getbig V
  • Getbig sponsored athlete.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
Great thread, but November Rain is in the same category as Don McLean's 'The Day the Music Died.'  Farking overblown, pretentious, self-indulgent horribleness.   

Somebody had to say it.  ;)

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
Props to bigmc in this thread. Wolfox's attempt at an owning failed miserably.

Now we have an awesome guitar thread!!!!!

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Page sucked compared to Hendrix,SRV, Clapton,Carlos Santana,Eddie VanHalen,or even a guy like Joe Perry or Gary Moore even .

Zeppelin great overall band,Page,second tier guitarist who gets way too much credit.

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
Page sucked compared to Hendrix, Clapton,Carlos Santana,Eddie VanHalen,or even a guy like Joe Perry or Gary Moore even .

Zeppelin great overall band,Page,second tier guitarist who gets way too much credit.
Damn!!! I am too young to know Clapton's guitar chops. I only know him for his older melodies.

Great artist regardless.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
Page sucked compared to Hendrix,SRV, Clapton,Carlos Santana,Eddie VanHalen,or even a guy like Joe Perry or Gary Moore even .

Here's to another 5 pages!  ;D

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Damn!!! I am too young to know Clapton's guitar chops. I only know him for his older melodies.

Great artist regardless.
Listen to his early stuff when he was with Cream or some of his Blues stuff to be enlightened if you can tear yourself free from electric synthesizer/drum machine shit.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
Just wanted to type the word Iommi for posterity.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
Listen to his early stuff when he was with Cream or some of his Blues stuff to be enlightened if you can tear yourself free from electric synthesizer/drum machine shit.
I think Blind Faith was before Cream as well....

Cream is one of the 1st bands I listened to when I started playing guitar, thanks to my father.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
I think Blind Faith was before Cream as well....

Cream is one of the 1st bands I listened to when I started playing guitar, thanks to my father.
Blind Faith was great.........Steve Winwood was 16 years old if I`m not mistaken.

Cream was awesome bro.

wolfrittner

• Getbig IV
Eddie vh idol is Eric Clapton. He used to practice and learn every song note by note as a kid!

Nirvana

• Getbig V