Author Topic: All about guitar  (Read 15424 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: All about guitar
« Reply #250 on: April 16, 2014, 09:03:04 AM »
This guy nails down Steve Vai tone/style perfectly.

love that tone!   Don't get that from a pedal, huh?

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #251 on: April 16, 2014, 10:40:04 AM »
There are quite a few guys on YT that buy the exact same gear, rack-mount equipment, strings, etc., etc., as their favorite players. It's amazing the money they spend.

I like the idea that you can get a professional sound, but I don't like the idea that some of these guys are trying so hard to BE their "idol" ~ they could cut their hair the same way, dress the same way.... act like they are getting ready to do an autobiography on the guy. Hell, they could even start stalking the dude. Weirdness.

You gotta draw the line somewhere. Learn the chops and leave it at that. If you have a shit-load of money to throw around, spend it on studio time and make some original music.

Each to their own I suppose ~

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #252 on: April 16, 2014, 11:14:33 AM »
I know this is sacrilege

but vai leaves me cold

ive always felt that if you put the perfect guitarist into a computer

vai is how the computer would sound

I appreciate technically he is phenomenal

but id listen to garry moore every day of the week over him
T

YngiweRhoads

• Getbig V
  • Shreddin'
« Reply #253 on: April 16, 2014, 02:31:23 PM »
I know this is sacrilege

but vai leaves me cold

ive always felt that if you put the perfect guitarist into a computer

vai is how the computer would sound

I appreciate technically he is phenomenal

but id listen to garry moore every day of the week over him

I'm not a big fan of Vai, Van Halen or Satriani either. Old Satch material was ok though.

Christian B

• Getbig II
« Reply #254 on: April 16, 2014, 03:05:05 PM »
Welcome home YR :) Would be much appreciated if you watched my latest vids, hence our previous guitar talks about progressing. (Basically I just want props for playing Jason Becker now ;D)
Did you get the Altitudes tab Bigmc? :)

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #255 on: April 16, 2014, 03:08:54 PM »
This is a great thread, guys. Substantial, and really adds value to Getbig. Keep it up. Makes up for all the useless UJ/Shitzo/Analbollocks threads.    :)

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #256 on: April 16, 2014, 03:40:34 PM »
Even though I cover a lot of Vai pieces, it's not b/c I'm a huge fan.

He is a great visual performer.

FTLG was a finger marathon.

I don't particularly care for re-hashed EVH stuff, I mean, after all, that was his biggest gig after DLR split.

Steve is a very "visual" and technical guitarist, but I don't kick back and listen to him at home, or in my ride. He is empty and void of feeling IMHO.

Now, what you will find in my ride, you won't hear me listening to in the house. Pretty crazy I guess, unless you "get it"

I have a variety of music from the 70's 80's and 90's that I listen to when I drive. I can play it all, but I don't. And what I do play, I don't listen to in the car. I know I'm not making much sense, yet it is the TRUTH.

The only consistency you will find in my CD collection is Aerosmith. I have EVERY SINGLE CD of theirs. I love listening to them on the road. Same with Queensryche.

Don't play that stuff at home on the guitar. I can, but I don't.

What do you make of that?

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #257 on: April 16, 2014, 06:04:21 PM »
If you like guitars you will enjoy this video. Very original video. Thomas Leeb plays Lowden guitars. He played the first Lowden F50 made and said it was the best guitar he ever played. I own that guitar.

I also own a Lowden Baritone guitar.

Lowden Baritone guitar
Dazzo 100 soundboard transducer
Mimesis Kudos mag/mic pickup
Wyres Strings .017-.070
cables: evidence audio

audio and tablature available:

http://thomasleeb.com/new/albums

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #258 on: April 16, 2014, 06:10:56 PM »
Even though I cover a lot of Vai pieces, it's not b/c I'm a huge fan.

He is a great visual performer.

FTLG was a finger marathon.

I don't particularly care for re-hashed EVH stuff, I mean, after all, that was his biggest gig after DLR split.

Steve is a very "visual" and technical guitarist, but I don't kick back and listen to him at home, or in my ride. He is empty and void of feeling IMHO.

Now, what you will find in my ride, you won't hear me listening to in the house. Pretty crazy I guess, unless you "get it"

I have a variety of music from the 70's 80's and 90's that I listen to when I drive. I can play it all, but I don't. And what I do play, I don't listen to in the car. I know I'm not making much sense, yet it is the TRUTH.

The only consistency you will find in my CD collection is Aerosmith. I have EVERY SINGLE CD of theirs. I love listening to them on the road. Same with Queensryche.

Don't play that stuff at home on the guitar. I can, but I don't.

What do you make of that?

Man, I love their old stuff, when they were high. "Lightning Strikes" is the only thing I've liked since. One of America's best, for sure, but what happened? Horns and pop ballads and whatnot. Sorry, not trying to piss on your comment, bud. Just bummed.

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #259 on: April 16, 2014, 06:43:01 PM »
Man, I love their old stuff, when they were high. "Lightning Strikes" is the only thing I've liked since. One of America's best, for sure, but what happened? Horns and pop ballads and whatnot. Sorry, not trying to piss on your comment, bud. Just bummed.

Dude, music is entirely subjective, hence; SO MANY FUCKING GENRE's

No, you are not pissing on my comment.

Me? I love "Rocks" ~ I will scream every word to every lyric to every song on that album (while driving...lol)

"Seasons of Wither" from "Get your Wings" still sends chills down my spine. Can I expect that to happen to everyone? Hell no! Can I expect everyone to love Aerosmith? Hell no!

Do I like "Tears for Fears?"

Sometimes...

It's just music. It's in our souls. It's whatever moves you. Could care less what anyone else thinks if I decide to listen to "Can I get a Fuck You" by JayZ.

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #260 on: April 16, 2014, 06:49:39 PM »
If you like guitars you will enjoy this video. Very original video. Thomas Leeb plays Lowden guitars. He played the first Lowden F50 made and said it was the best guitar he ever played. I own that guitar.

I also own a Lowden Baritone guitar.

Lowden Baritone guitar
Dazzo 100 soundboard transducer
Mimesis Kudos mag/mic pickup
Wyres Strings .017-.070
cables: evidence audio

audio and tablature available:

http://thomasleeb.com/new/albums

Very cool video editing. Creative.

Don't need the tab, but thanks.

BTW, in that vid, the sound was pre-recorded in a studio and then synced with the vid. Some cool shots from inside. Very creative.

Also, notice the strings flopping around? They were detuned to help with the "effect" ~ it's a great effect too.

Now, if you actually tried to play that guitar "as is' you would be highly disappointed.

Reminiscent of this...for some unusual reasons:

You want to sound like Andy McKee? Trust me, it's not in his technique.... it is in his TUNING!  ;D

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #261 on: April 16, 2014, 07:01:47 PM »

Me? I love "Rocks" ~ I will scream every word to every lyric to every song on that album (while driving...lol)

"Seasons of Wither" from "Get your Wings" still sends chills down my spine. Can I expect that to happen to everyone? Hell no! Can I expect everyone to love Aerosmith? Hell no!

Sometimes...

It's just music. It's in our souls. It's whatever moves you. Could care less what anyone else thinks if I decide to listen to "Can I get a Fuck You" by JayZ.

Awesome reply. "Last Child," "Mama Kin," "Kings and Queens," best shit ever.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #262 on: April 16, 2014, 07:57:52 PM »
what are you guys' opinions of baritone guitars?  I've never played, but with my deep voice, it's intriguing.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #263 on: April 16, 2014, 08:18:52 PM »
what are you guys' opinions of baritone guitars?  I've never played, but with my deep voice, it's intriguing.

Once you hear a good one you will want one. I played a nice Caldersmith baritone classical and after that I wanted one. More deep bass and still enough trebles to fingerpick, etc.

With steel string guitars the effect isn't so pronounced but you do get a nice growl from the bass which is very satisfying to listen to. My Lowden Baritone has a spruce top

and Walnut back and sides.

visualizeperfection

• Getbig V
  • Getbig sponsored athlete.
« Reply #264 on: April 16, 2014, 08:22:00 PM »
Once you hear a good one you will want one. I played a nice Caldersmith baritone classical and after that I wanted one. More deep bass and still enough trebles to fingerpick, etc.

This Caldersmith kid sounds to be a bit young for you.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #265 on: April 16, 2014, 08:27:56 PM »
Awesome reply. "Last Child," "Mama Kin," "Kings and Queens," best shit ever.
Good tunes dude. 

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #266 on: April 16, 2014, 09:06:23 PM »
This Caldersmith kid sounds to be a bit young for you.

Even in a guitar thread the assholes appear!

http://www.caldersmithguitars.com/index.php

visualizeperfection

• Getbig V
  • Getbig sponsored athlete.
« Reply #267 on: April 16, 2014, 09:08:22 PM »
Even in a guitar thread the assholes appear!

http://www.caldersmithguitars.com/index.php

what me vince, what me.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #268 on: April 16, 2014, 09:13:49 PM »
Here is Aussie Tommy Emmanuel performing. Technically, one of the best on the planet.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #269 on: April 16, 2014, 09:20:58 PM »
For the older guys here. Not everyone can make a guitar sound beautiful. Hank Snow did.

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B
« Reply #270 on: April 16, 2014, 09:34:38 PM »

Sometimes...

Tears for fears is some GOOD shit. "Mad world" "pale shelter" "change"  "head over heels"  "everybody wants...."

Those dudes were musicians.

Just listened to "wishing...if I had a photograph" and "space age love song" by flock.of seagulls. Get past the stupid hair and they are good tunes.

Love "get your wings" ...smith coming into their own.

Can I get a "fuck you".....nice. very few rap songs I like.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #271 on: April 16, 2014, 10:25:49 PM »
Tears for fears is some GOOD shit. "Mad world" "pale shelter" "change"  "head over heels"  "everybody wants...."

Those dudes were musicians.

Just listened to "wishing...if I had a photograph" and "space age love song" by flock.of seagulls. Get past the stupid hair and they are good tunes.

Love "get your wings" ...smith coming into their own.

Can I get a "fuck you".....nice. very few rap songs I like.

Same here. This is where I'm just old, bitter, and intolerant. Loved Rage, though, despite the hypocritical politics. They were sorta rappy.

YngiweRhoads

• Getbig V
  • Shreddin'
« Reply #272 on: April 16, 2014, 10:29:46 PM »
Welcome home YR :) Would be much appreciated if you watched my latest vids, hence our previous guitar talks about progressing. (Basically I just want props for playing Jason Becker now ;D)

I'll check out the vids when I get a chance. Yeah, I use Serrana as an arpeggio exercise.

Just got back from watching the original Sabbath, sans Bill Ward, play tonight. Great bloody show. I was very impressed. Especially since I saw Ozzy 2 years ago and he blew chunks.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #273 on: April 16, 2014, 10:33:29 PM »
I'll check out the vids when I get a chance. Yeah, I use Serrana as an arpeggio exercise.

Just got back from watching the original Sabbath, sans Bill Ward, play tonight. Great bloody show. I was very impressed. Especially since I saw Ozzy 2 years ago and he blew chunks.

How about a guitar video, guy?

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #274 on: April 17, 2014, 01:25:34 AM »

no have you got a link please

how long did it take you to get it nailed down
T