Author Topic: IC title tournament  (Read 2121 times)

littleguns

• Getbig V
IC title tournament
« on: April 15, 2014, 07:52:10 AM »
Is WWE finally deciding to put some emphasis on this?

I see Cesaro vs Sheamus in the finals with Cesaro winning.

What about the US Title?

Karl Kox

• Getbig V
  • There's no Kayfabe in the business anymore.
Re: IC title tournament
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2014, 09:54:36 PM »
This is exactly what I suggested before WM.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 03:50:05 AM »
This is exactly what I suggested before WM.

Clearly, they read our board.
 8)

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 10:34:43 AM »
It's not a pure title tournament. It's a #1 contender's tournament, with the winner facing Big E Langston for the title at Extreme Rules.

With the Shield feuding with Evolution, Helmsley will probably force Ambrose to defend the US title then cause some foolishness to have him lose it.

littleguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 12:01:24 PM »
It's not a pure title tournament. It's a #1 contender's tournament, with the winner facing Big E Langston for the title at Extreme Rules.

With the Shield feuding with Evolution, Helmsley will probably force Ambrose to defend the US title then cause some foolishness to have him lose it.

it has probably ben 6 months sinc it was last defended. I remember back in the day the 30 day rule..

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 05:03:30 PM »
it has probably ben 6 months sinc it was last defended. I remember back in the day the 30 day rule..

It takes some guys that long to find their smile!

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 07:28:48 PM »

I think Big E had a title defense against Del Rio about a month ago. Now, Dean Ambrose and the US title? The last title defense I remember from him was against Mark Henry; but I think that was well over 30 days back.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2014, 01:08:58 PM »
Tomorrow night is the finals of the #1 Contender tournament for the Intercontinental title.

RVD vs. BNB (Bad News Barrett); winner gets Big E for the belt at Extreme Rules.

I'd go with Barrett normally, but with the way the Shield is beating down the guys who clobbered them last week, I don't like Barrett's chances.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2014, 09:29:44 PM »
I guess I was wrong. Barrett won the tournament and beat Big E for the belt.

Looking at some old-school footage, do you realize that during the transition between the "New Generation" and "Attitude" eras, there were IC title tournaments three consecutive years, due to the champ being injured.

1996: Ahmed Johnson goes down. They hold a tournament; Marc Mero wins it.

1997: Steve Austin nearly gets his neck broken; IC title gets vacated and another tournament is held; Owen Hart wins it. (Note: Both Hart and Mero beat Ron "Faarooq" Simmons in the finals. Mero beat the gladiator version; Hart defeated the NOD one).

1998: Triple H blows his knees. One night tournament occurs on Raw; Ken Shamrock ends up with the gold.

littleguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2014, 05:13:30 AM »
Talking about IC....was listening to podcast with Jim Cornette and Honkey Tonk Man. Said Vince wanted HTM to come in as a face, saw merchandising of wigs, guitars etc but HTM told him his gimmick is a bad guy. Needless to say after a few weeks HTM went Heel......

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2014, 04:28:10 PM »
Talking about IC....was listening to podcast with Jim Cornette and Honkey Tonk Man. Said Vince wanted HTM to come in as a face, saw merchandising of wigs, guitars etc but HTM told him his gimmick is a bad guy. Needless to say after a few weeks HTM went Heel......

I remember seeing one of HTM's first WWF TV appearances - maybe his first. Yes, he was a face for about a week it seemed. I don't remember how they began the transition. I just recall Ferris suddenly attacking Jake Roberts one week on TV.