Author Topic: Carbs minus Fibre  (Read 4306 times)

ismoseppo

Carbs minus Fibre
« on: April 15, 2014, 11:50:18 AM »
I keep my carbs quite low, 60-70g per day. This book someone on here told me about says carbs minus fibre equals net carbs. Now im not one for reading a whole book, so why does fibre bring your net carbs down for the day? Im all for a lower net carb count, but why does fiber make it so?

hazbin

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Re: Carbs minus Fibre
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 11:51:13 AM »
I keep my carbs quite low, 60-70g per day. This book someone on here told me about says carbs minus fibre equals net carbs. Now im not one for reading a whole book, so why does fibre bring your net carbs down for the day? Im all for a lower net carb count, but why does fiber make it so?

I don't think it's digested

CT_Muscle

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 11:51:35 AM »

fiber cannot be digested and passes through you

Knooger

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 11:52:28 AM »
I don't think it's digested

That sounds about right, you don't use it like a carb, so you're not supposed to count it as such.

ismoseppo

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 11:52:37 AM »
fiber cannot be digested and passes through you

ok but lets say i eat 60g carb and 35g fibre,...why is my net carb 25? I still have eaten the carbs. Im lost

hazbin

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2014, 11:54:01 AM »
ok but lets say i eat 60g carb and 35g fibre,...why is my net carb 25? I still have eaten the carbs. Im lost

did you eat 60g nonfibrous carbs plus 35g fibrous carbs?  then your net count is still 60 I believe

Knooger

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2014, 11:54:32 AM »

You just don't count the fiber, you don't also subtract it from the carb total.

ismoseppo

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2014, 11:54:48 AM »
did you eat 60g nonfibrous carbs plus 35g fibrous carbs?  then your net count is still 60 I believe

now that makes sense to me

hows things today? Why are you out of bed before 2?

CT_Muscle

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2014, 11:55:30 AM »

Because fiber is a type of carbohydrate that your body can't digest, it does not affect your blood sugar levels. You should subtract the grams of fiber from the total carbohydrate.

Knooger

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2014, 11:56:22 AM »
They include fiber in the carbohydrate total on the label. You do subtract the fiber from that.

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2014, 11:57:31 AM »
Because fiber is a type of carbohydrate that your body can't digest, it does not affect your blood sugar levels. You should subtract the grams of fiber from the total carbohydrate.

Best answer.

Knooger

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2014, 11:57:51 AM »
The net carbs from this would be 11 grams. (ignoring the .19 shit)

ismoseppo

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2014, 11:59:24 AM »
ok im good now--a little retarded but good

thanks

hazbin

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2014, 12:00:54 PM »
now that makes sense to me

hows things today? Why are you out of bed before 2?

I just got outta bed and ran straight to getbig!!! ;D

I have been trying to force myself outta bed by noon.

Rambone

• Getbig V
  • “No no. Down here, Louie.”
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2014, 12:04:25 PM »
"yes fiber does have caloric value. while not absorbed like a typical carb, it can be fermented by the small intestine and reabsorbed as short chain fatty acids so you still get much of the caloric value."

- Lame Norton

Hope this helps. Not sure if you were wondering about counting towards your total calories or just wondering what net carbs meant.

Teutonic Knight

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2014, 07:28:37 PM »

Try fresh green figs (about 10)  + beer & you will see, no other food
OBW, stay near bathroom  ;D

HavoX

• Getbig IV
  • Shamed by thunderdome
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2014, 11:06:19 PM »
Try fresh green figs (about 10)  + beer & you will see, no other food
OBW, stay near bathroom  ;D

latiuss

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2014, 12:16:10 AM »
Does anyone know anything about polyols? As far as i understand its like fibre where it just passes threw? It in protein bars etc.

HavoX

• Getbig IV
  • Shamed by thunderdome
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2014, 12:54:57 AM »
Does anyone know anything about polyols? As far as i understand its like fibre where it just passes threw? It in protein bars etc.

It's alcohol sugar that doesn't have to be listed as "carbs" ... Fairly indigestible

It's why there is a green cloud around booths with samples

Bertha Butt

• Getbig III
  • My happy pussy...
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2014, 01:51:01 AM »
They include fiber in the carbohydrate total on the label. You do subtract the fiber from that.

Now you have me confused...
We were always taught that only digestible carbs were listed as carbs. So the total carbs is the total carbs. Fibers are only mentioned, so you could see if you eat enough fibers. Only fatso's used the lie to subtract fibers from the carbs, so they an excuse to give in to the carb cravings. So it was said...
 ???

Knooger

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2014, 08:56:47 AM »
Now you have me confused...
We were always taught that only digestible carbs were listed as carbs. So the total carbs is the total carbs. Fibers are only mentioned, so you could see if you eat enough fibers. Only fatso's used the lie to subtract fibers from the carbs, so they an excuse to give in to the carb cravings. So it was said...
 ???

I assume you're trolling, but I'll answer anyway.

Total carbohydrate on the label includes all types of carbohydrate - sugar, complex carbohydrate and fiber.

http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fitness/food/what-can-i-eat/food-tips/taking-a-closer-look-at-labels.html

wolfrittner

• Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2014, 09:02:29 AM »
I assume you're tolling, but I'll answer anyway.

http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fitness/food/what-can-i-eat/food-tips/taking-a-closer-look-at-labels.html
Cool! I just learned something. I didn't know! Thank you

Bertha Butt

• Getbig III
  • My happy pussy...
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2014, 02:04:38 AM »
I assume you're trolling, but I'll answer anyway.

No trolling. We Dutch just don't subtract fibers from total carbs. Never heard of it from my family and friends on a diet (almost everybody), didn't hear it from my dietitian when discussing fiber intake on a wheat free diet, and did not find it in the books on diet from the university library.

Dutch and European nutrition fact sheets are also slightly different. Fibers are not grouped under total carbs, but are mentioned seperately like sodium and vitamins.

Also I did not read you could subtract the fibers from total carbs on the page you linked...

Knooger

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2014, 04:08:21 AM »
No trolling. We Dutch just don't subtract fibers from total carbs. Never heard of it from my family and friends on a diet (almost everybody), didn't hear it from my dietitian when discussing fiber intake on a wheat free diet, and did not find it in the books on diet from the university library.

Dutch and European nutrition fact sheets are also slightly different. Fibers are not grouped under total carbs, but are mentioned seperately like sodium and vitamins.

Also I did not read you could subtract the fibers from total carbs on the page you linked...

Subtracting fiber is just for people on low carb diets. I do not subtract fiber either.