Author Topic: Swimmers on Steroids  (Read 13474 times)

Melkor

• Getbig III
Re: Swimmers on Steroids
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2014, 09:46:13 AM »
Yes, Poop with more fat floats...BUT if you are already 50-60% water and you inject steroids which makes you hold water...you should be around the 80-90% water figure which is like throwing a bucket of water in the ocean...it blends into each other.

STAY POSITIVE!!!!!

Yeah, but you don't want to blend into the water, you want to remain as buoyant as possible! This is why swimming with a heavy wetsuit makes it a lot easier to maintain a good horizontal position during open water swims due to the added buoyancy. Of all elite endurance athletes, swimmers tend to have the highest body fat and can get away with it (its actually advantageous to a point).

But like I said, the performance enhancing effects of steroids are so high that they would still improve swimming performance up to a certain point. Too much muscle growth and bulk will eventually become a hindrance to the swimmer.

Mr. MB

• Getbig III
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2014, 09:54:08 AM »
Ya think?

Been going on for decades in swimming. In the late 70s my daughter had the 50 yard Freestyle State record for her age, 13, until a girl on her team suddenly grew shoulders and traps like a power lifter. She had huge veins running from her delts down the front of her biceps. Her voice dropped, grew a mustache and sounded like a male elf. This girl smashed my daughters record. She later went on to the Olympics swimming for Chili.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2014, 09:58:12 AM »
Yeah, but you don't want to blend into the water, you want to remain as buoyant as possible! This is why swimming with a heavy wetsuit makes it a lot easier to maintain a good horizontal position during open water swims due to the added buoyancy. Of all elite endurance athletes, swimmers tend to have the highest body fat and can get away with it (its actually advantageous to a point).

But like I said, the performance enhancing effects of steroids are so high that they would still improve swimming performance up to a certain point. Too much muscle growth and bulk will eventually become a hindrance to the swimmer.
think lockte/phelps build type,,,

SuperTed

• Getbig V
  • Rebirth
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2014, 10:01:31 AM »

I think this applies to almost any sport. Steroids will improve performance but there always come a certain point where too much steroids will become a hindrance. Even in strength sports like weightlifting/powelifting, heavy amounts of juice will make you more prone to injury.

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2014, 10:06:16 AM »
the word "steroids" has become ubiquitous with ANY sport. That is.. again.. ANY sport.

Fuck, even women who get cortisol for their plugged up noses run around telling everyone "I'm on steroids, that's why I'm so big" ~ poor fatties.

Yes, swimmers juice. Why wouldn't they?

A butterflier will really benefit from a good cycle of Test and E.Q. ~ I guess the statement "I'm holding water' would take on a whole new meaning...

Fallsview

• Getbig V
  • Mr. Gulf Coast 1994,95,99
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2014, 10:26:10 AM »

Yes, but there is a big difference between "holding water in the muscle" rather than "outside the muscle cell".

STAY POSITIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2014, 10:33:57 AM »
Hmmmmmm....

I get the feeling there aren't many competitive swimmers here.

Some pretty off-the-wall and completely untrue statements being made, that's for sure.

Oh wait, that is a prerequisite for posting up... my bad.

catracho

• Getbig IV
  • I don't want to be "that guy"!
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2014, 11:29:54 AM »
Before the fall of the Berlin wall, the East German woman's swim team were given steriods, they later went on to sue the Government.  The entire east german olympic team dominated, guess why?

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2014, 11:52:33 AM »
Before the fall of the Berlin wall, the East German woman's swim team were given steriods, they later went on to sue the Government.  The entire east german olympic team dominated, guess why?
colin farell with a bad haircut it seems..

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2014, 03:47:20 PM »

gettingbetter

• Getbig III
  • Fuck Yeah!
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2014, 06:14:25 AM »

The East German athletes were given 10 mg of oral Turinabol a day!

Ben Johnson was using 2mg a day of winstrol and 250mg of furazabol a week for 3 weeks on 3 weeks off.

The amount used by bodybuilders are way too high for athletes but yes, they allow you to train more and make you faster.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2014, 07:44:43 AM »
Crazy comments here. So the elite world class swimmers pictured here have too much muscle? They would swim faster if they reduced the amount of muscle they have? Swimmers shouldn't be lean because fat floats? I know getbig has never been known for intellectual discussion but this takes a new precedent.

Fallsview

• Getbig V
  • Mr. Gulf Coast 1994,95,99
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2014, 08:00:13 AM »
And if you're swimming in the ocean, you would benefit best to "salt load" before entering the water.

STAY POSITIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MONSTER_TRICEPS

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2014, 08:06:08 AM »
Ya think?

Been going on for decades in swimming. In the late 70s my daughter had the 50 yard Freestyle State record for her age, 13, until a girl on her team suddenly grew shoulders and traps like a power lifter. She had huge veins running from her delts down the front of her biceps. Her voice dropped, grew a mustache and sounded like a male elf. This girl smashed my daughters record. She later went on to the Olympics swimming for Chili.

People who do something like this to kids should lose their custody imo.

SuperTed

• Getbig V
  • Rebirth
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2014, 01:13:40 PM »
Alain Bernard, french swimmer, used to be pretty dominant in the 100m freestyle. For years, french swimmers sucked and suddenly came this new generation with Bernard, Bousquet, Gilot, etc.....winning olympic medals. All with the same horse-like facial features. Wonder how that happened.  ::)

His head looks tiny compared to the rest of his body. Great build though. Would much rather look like him than any IFBB pro.

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
  • my love for ronnie will never die
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2014, 01:18:41 PM »
DDR juiced up swimmers  ???

Melkor

• Getbig III
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2014, 03:04:43 PM »
Crazy comments here. So the elite world class swimmers pictured here have too much muscle? They would swim faster if they reduced the amount of muscle they have? Swimmers shouldn't be lean because fat floats? I know getbig has never been known for intellectual discussion but this takes a new precedent.

Hmmm... Lets see.

First question. No.

Second question. No. However too much muscle mass would hinder a swimmers water efficiency. Contracting muscle is denser than water and beyond a certain weight is just extra weight for a swimmer (or any aerobic athlete for that matter) to carry. Hence the point of diminishing returns I referred to.

Third question. No. I don't know where you got swimmers shouldn't be lean from. Fat is less dense than water however and some fat can increase buoyancy and hence water efficiency for a swimmer. Note some fat. Again as with muscle mass, fat will increase overall bodyweight and ultimately add unnecessary weight for the swimmer to carry.

I hope this clears up some of your queries. Big, muscle bound physiques, although they look good on a bodybuilding stage, do nothing for a competive swimmer.

Below are arguably the three best swimmers of the last twenty years, if not of all time. Juiced to the gills, right? (no pun intended)  ;)

The Grim Lifter

• Getbig IV
« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2014, 03:06:32 PM »
Hmmm... Lets see.

First question. No.

Second question. No. However too much muscle mass would hinder a swimmers water efficiency. Contracting muscle is denser than water and beyond a certain weight is just extra weight for a swimmer (or any aerobic athlete for that matter) to carry. Hence the point of diminishing returns I referred to.

Third question. No. I don't know where you got swimmers shouldn't be lean from. Fat is less dense than water however and some fat can increase buoyancy and hence water efficiency for a swimmer. Note some fat. Again as with muscle mass, fat will increase overall bodyweight and ultimately add unnecessary weight for the swimmer to carry.

I hope this clears up some of your queries. Big, muscle bound physiques, although they look good on a bodybuilding stage, do nothing for a competive swimmer.

Below are arguably the three best swimmers of the last twenty years, if not of all time. Juiced to the gills, right? (no pun intended)  ;)

How are the left and right ones handling life now without their drugs and fame?

Dead by 40

Army of One

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2014, 03:07:52 PM »
Before the fall of the Berlin wall, the East German woman's swim team were given steriods, they later went on to sue the Government.  The entire east german olympic team dominated, guess why?

NZMM stopped grooming

disco_stu

• Getbig V
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2014, 04:17:03 PM »
everybody in that picture was on gear. Ben Johnson was the poster boy/dr evil of roid use circa 1988. Now every other athelete dwarf's him and people ask 'I wonder if he/she is on roids?'

typical gb reply.

wrong,. carl improved from 9.99 to 9.86 OVER 11 years of competing at the top level. his 200m didnt improve at all over that time..it got slower.

carl tested positive to a stimulant which at the time was banned in certain doses, but it got reviewed and the dose raised a huge amount, as it was basically a cup of coffee. what he had tested for was beyond minor... it was a joke amount. he wasnt the only one.

christie was one of those who got done for test based hormones..carl never did.

others in that final tested positive for drugs, but not all of them.

people exaggerate what they dont know, and drugs give you about 0.5s over 100m improvement, and it was rife in the 60s and 70s.. and if u call BS then compare womens times over the last 20 years to that of the 20 before that..and also compare junior and youth times.. youll see that the juniors have steadily improved, and mens have abruptly stalled..and womens have gone backwards.

what that means is that there are still some cheats, but nothing like there was..and if they do cheat, its on a compound that isnt giving 0.5s like dbol and test did.

ben johnson was on a bombs FFS.

ben went from a 10.2 runner to 9.79 inside 5 years...well into his 20s.. thats the cheat right there.

it took another 12 years to match 9.79 but mo greene was on the clear..no doubt about it..but didnt get busted. Still, others ran 9.84, 9.86 etc..

20 years later, talent meets cheat..ben was a 10.2 runner at best, and the best athletes of his time were running 9.92. So it makes sense that it takes another 20 years to have the best talent running sub 9.8 and 9.7.

both ben's and greene's times were aided, and stand out.. the rest have been simply not good enough in a day where top athletes go for dollars in other sports.

im so sick of people making dumb statements about drug use in athletics, when they dont know. not everyone uses drugs you know, and some people have conscience and integrity, and loads of talent..they are running sub 10 before they are 20...and low 10s at 16, 17... thats not a human incentive to want to cheat when you are that good already.

Hypertrophy

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2014, 04:55:05 PM »

That's a US cyclist, Tammy Thomas, who went to jail for steroid use:

"A federal judge has terminated probation 11 months early for a former elite cyclist convicted of lying about her steroid use.

U.S. District Judge Susan Illston on Friday granted Tammy Thomas' request for early termination, which was made last month. Thomas was a minor figure in the sports-doping scandal that ensnared Barry Bonds and several other notable athletes.

A jury in 2008 convicted her of perjury and obstruction of justice after she told a grand jury that she never used steroids, though she tested positive twice and was suspended from competition.

Thomas has since graduated from law school and says an early release from probation may help her in obtaining a license to practice law."

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2014, 06:48:59 PM »
Guy in the second photo looks like a hypothetical love-child of Johnny Falcon and Adonis.
:D ;D
A

MONSTER_TRICEPS

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: April 18, 2014, 12:55:14 AM »

LMAO yeah carl johnson was all natural, hard work. Now i've seen it all. If he took stimulants to increase his performance then why the fuck wouldn't he take roids as well.  ::) Cheating = cheating.

Disco stu defending the great american liar. lol

Julio Ceasar

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: April 18, 2014, 03:33:26 AM »
I have people around me that im pretty sure they think I was on gear while i did some heavy lifts back in the days. But i wasent haha. The sad thing is, that I know the truth but they dont! Same in sports. We can only speculate, its only the athlete who know the truth.

Skorp1o

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: April 18, 2014, 03:37:13 AM »
LMAO yeah carl johnson was all natural, hard work. Now i've seen it all. If he took stimulants to increase his performance then why the fuck wouldn't he take roids as well.  ::) Cheating = cheating.

Disco stu defending the great american liar. lol

Yes, I don't get the oh he only took stimulants...if you cheat you're a cheat.
S