Author Topic: How common is steroid usage?  (Read 4768 times)

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
How common is steroid usage?
« on: January 21, 2006, 05:53:19 PM »
Is there any stats on how common steroid usage is? I might be a little naive, I know there's always been talk about steroids on the net, there's been some "underground" forums about it, some smaller parts of bigger sites, generally about bodybuilding etc but the other day I googled a little bit on bodybuilding and the first site I went to have some 50,000+ members and it's on steroids ALONE, the other one I went to have some 20,000+ members and the main forums for steroids have a total of 1,3 million (!) posts!

I'm surprised at the volume of this! I mean this gotta reflect the status of all people in the gyms, steroids must be pretty damn common. But that must also say a lot about some of the exaggerated claimed results of steroids, because it sure as hell doesn't look like that many people are juicing.

Z

muscle19

• Getbig IV
  • Lifes To Short To Be Small!!!
Re: How common is steroid usage?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2006, 06:48:10 PM »
i bet more than what we could imagine. there are alot of people who do not know shit and will put these powerful hormones into their body without atleast studying the subjec for a while. i know that i studied and gained alot of info before i cycled, i was reading up on it for 2 yrs before i started.

muscle
muscle

controldenied33

• Getbig II
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2006, 07:08:51 PM »
I lift at a YMCA (when I'm not in college) and about half the people I know who lift weights there take them.  Most have no idea what they are doing, and most you wouldn't even know they take steroids.

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2006, 07:20:26 PM »
Definitely more take some form of gear then you realize, a lot more. The big thing is, is that the majority are doing so completely oblivious to proper usage, i.e. dosage, stacking, PCT, etc.

I can't even begin to tell you how many guys I've talked to about AAS and end up finding out their favorite cycle is a dbol only cycle, or how many guys have done several decent cycles, but never heard of the words PCT.

I'll never understand why so many people choose to be so blatantly stupid, but I can guarantee the idiotic behaviour will continue.

blaster

• Getbig III
  • If bodybuilding was easy, everyone would be big!
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2006, 07:25:23 PM »
I enjoy pointing out all the guys in my gym that I know for sure juice, to all my mates who think it's odd that I do. They see these big guys and wonder how that got that big. Off the top of my head, there's about 12 guys I see regularly in the hour and a half or so I'm at the gym 5 times a week. That leaves A LOT of time during the rest of the day where I don't see others.

DIVISION

• Getbig V
  • Bless me please, father.....
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2006, 07:38:03 PM »
Is there any stats on how common steroid usage is? I might be a little naive, I know there's always been talk about steroids on the net, there's been some "underground" forums about it, some smaller parts of bigger sites, generally about bodybuilding etc but the other day I googled a little bit on bodybuilding and the first site I went to have some 50,000+ members and it's on steroids ALONE, the other one I went to have some 20,000+ members and the main forums for steroids have a total of 1,3 million (!) posts!

I'm surprised at the volume of this! I mean this gotta reflect the status of all people in the gyms, steroids must be pretty damn common. But that must also say a lot about some of the exaggerated claimed results of steroids, because it sure as hell doesn't look like that many people are juicing.

No stats because most people are using them illegally (obviously).

Who is going to knowingly volunteer that they use AAS?

They are very common, and you can't always tell just by looking at the person whether they use.

Some are obvious, but most are not so easily detected.

DIV
I'm a ghost in these killing fields...

blaster

• Getbig III
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2006, 07:43:58 PM »

Who is going to knowingly volunteer that they use AAS?

DIV

Ah...me? And quite a few other dudes in here?

DIVISION

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2006, 07:48:33 PM »
Ah...me? And quite a few other dudes in here?

I'm talking about in real life, genius......

Not on some anonymous message board.

DIV

blaster

• Getbig III
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2006, 08:07:18 PM »
I'm talking about in real life, genius......

Not on some anonymous message board.

DIV

LOL! Yeah, I realised that after I re-read ur post, Nugga! LOL!  ;D

However, on a serious note, they do ask stuff like drug use in refferendums...I think. I vaguely remember filling out some government survey and they asked about weed. Vaguely.  ???

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2006, 03:02:10 AM »
I think there might be some surveys around, I'll google for it. People can always get the chance to answer anonymously or maybe there's surveys from europe, where it was legal not that long ago in some countries.
Z

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2006, 12:25:58 PM »
i heard part of a convo last night from some high school kids...all i caught was "man this anadrol is great..bla bla bla...the only problem is my nipples hurt...bla bla bla...i need more test"

makes me wonder how many dumb kids are on gear...this kid didn't even look like he worked out.

8)

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2006, 12:50:42 PM »
when they dont get the result they want from cell-tech etc they probably give steroids a shot
Z

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2006, 02:51:44 PM »
Like I've always said, there is no such thing as bodybuilding without steroids. The concept just doesn't work, your body does NOT want to hold that much lean muscle and will not allow itself to, without some nudging in the right direction.

muscle19

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2006, 02:54:11 PM »
expecially when dieting, ur body wants to use that muscle u have for energy.

muscle
muscle

DIVISION

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2006, 03:50:15 PM »
i heard part of a convo last night from some high school kids...all i caught was "man this anadrol is great..bla bla bla...the only problem is my nipples hurt...bla bla bla...i need more test"

makes me wonder how many dumb kids are on gear...this kid didn't even look like he worked out.

^Next time you overhear that, tell them to stop touching their nipples and they won't hurt.   ;D

They'll love that.

expecially when dieting, ur body wants to use that muscle u have for energy.

^Exactly.  That's why I could never be a bodybuilder.  The dieting for shows would kill me inside, seeing that strength and muscle mass waste away.

It would kill my soul.

DIV

BigIronMike25

« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2006, 11:08:13 AM »
Definitely more take some form of gear then you realize, a lot more. The big thing is, is that the majority are doing so completely oblivious to proper usage, i.e. dosage, stacking, PCT, etc.

I can't even begin to tell you how many guys I've talked to about AAS and end up finding out their favorite cycle is a dbol only cycle, or how many guys have done several decent cycles, but never heard of the words PCT.
I'll never understand why so many people choose to be so blatantly stupid, but I can guarantee the idiotic behaviour will continue.

This is an all-too-common occurence.....some guys i know claim they only do dbol for fear of needles / injections and im like gimme a damn break!

muscle19

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2006, 11:11:15 AM »
im the3 same way div! i wanted to compete but i just dont think i can go through the whole dieting phase of it. not that is would be that tough but all the cardio watching food, i like eating like a human, and also the size loss, that would really mess with my head. but again who knows, lately  i have been getting the nack to want to compete.

muscle
muscle

BigIronMike25

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2006, 11:18:15 AM »
im the3 same way div! i wanted to compete but i just dont think i can go through the whole dieting phase of it. not that is would be that tough but all the cardio watching food, i like eating like a human, and also the size loss, that would really mess with my head. but again who knows, lately  i have been getting the nack to want to compete.

muscle

Muscle,

its really tough...seeing yourself get smaller in the mirror.....(the hints of chiseled abs helps your psyche a little but damn its tough)  also my clothes fitting looser is startin to bother me!

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2006, 02:54:17 PM »

muscle
If you take the time to diet down you may find that when you start bulking again your progress will be even better then before... at least it works that way for me. Dieting seems to prime my body for growth, once my diet is over I am able to grow even faster then before.

muscle19

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2006, 03:33:13 PM »
thats what ive heard and read throught the yrs, though i have never competed, i do bulk and cut for more growth, just not down to 3% bf, competetion form. im currently in a cutting phase lost about 12-15lbs in the last 3 months, im 5'4 got up to around 190, with a 34 in waist (felt like a balloon) and now im around 170, with a 29-30in waist and now im stronger than ever, for instance got 130lb dumbells for 5 on db incline press, never could of done that at 190, so ill say im doing pretty good.

muscle
muscle

DIVISION

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2006, 12:49:56 AM »

If I put my mind to it, I could do it, but I don't see any incentive to do it.  I like being large and strong and dieting means your training loads have to change.  I could max out and get the same insane euphoria that I have now from training on a strict diet.  It would literally kill me.  More than that, monetarily, there is no benefit from competing at the local level.  At best I suppose I could get a sponsorship and some free whey protein..... ::)

That's just not enough for me....there has to be something greater to motivate me and a trophy just wont cut it.

DIV

muscle19

• Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2006, 01:34:34 PM »

That's just not enough for me....there has to be something greater to motivate me and a trophy just wont cut it.

exactly, a couple of yrs ago, one of my dreams was to step and compete at the mr.o, but now there is no point of trying to pursue that dream i once had. now, im not saying that i dont want or will not compete, but at this point in my life right now, i see no reason to do it, nother against guys that do by any means, i follow competetive bb like people follow pro ball. i know a-jr competes, do u have any plans on turning pro? or do u just do it for fun, the thrill of competing and being ripped to shreds?

muscle
muscle

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2006, 02:20:55 PM »
exactly, a couple of yrs ago, one of my dreams was to step and compete at the mr.o, but now there is no point of trying to pursue that dream i once had. now, im not saying that i dont want or will not compete, but at this point in my life right now, i see no reason to do it, nother against guys that do by any means, i follow competetive bb like people follow pro ball. i know a-jr competes, do u have any plans on turning pro? or do u just do it for fun, the thrill of competing and being ripped to shreds?

muscle
Right now BB is purely a hobby, granted it's a hobby that takes a lot of my time. As far as thinking I have what it takes to go pro, I'm realistic, and I put no hope in this what so ever. That said, being a pro BB would be cool and if that ever miraculously transpired I would jump on it.

As for my plans now I am contemplating Law School but because of my BB hobby I am a bit hesitant. I know that if I go this route my BB goals will be very difficult to achieve. But who knows what I'll do, I still haven't made my mind up.

muscle19

• Getbig IV
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2006, 05:40:38 PM »
law school?! i would jump on that bro, thats where the money is unless u think u may have a good chance on making more in the bb game, but the likely good, IMO, is slim to none (no offense towards u, i dont know how u look). good luck if u do decide to go to law school, and good luck with the competing as well! maybe one day ill see u on stage  ;)

muscle
muscle

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2006, 06:02:20 PM »
law school?! i would jump on that bro, thats where the money is unless u think u may have a good chance on making more in the bb game, but the likely good, IMO, is slim to none (no offense towards u, i dont know how u look). good luck if u do decide to go to law school, and good luck with the competing as well! maybe one day ill see u on stage  ;)

muscle
Your absolutely right, that is where the money is, no doubt. But money isn't everything, although it is nice, that's for certain...there is a lot to be said in doing what makes you happy.

I know this is going to sound stupid, but it is the only thing really holding me back, and that is I hate the idea of just being an average trainer, having to give up my lifestyle that I enjoy. I know BB will always be there, and that when I'm finished with law school I can jump back in full force. But I also know that I will never be able to make the kind of progress in BB like I can while I'm still relatively young. If I decide on the law route I don't want to make the same mistake a good friend of mine made. He was and still is an avid BB competitor, and continued this through his 1st 2yrs of law school. Anyway, he ended up failing out because he spent to much time and energy with his BB goals.