Author Topic: Can you tell if someone competes drug free?  (Read 12996 times)

TK

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
Can you tell if someone competes drug free?
« on: January 21, 2006, 09:31:28 PM »

In competing in a natural bodybuilding contest, you always see this "Every athlete is polygraphed and class winners are urine tested. That is the best way to ensure that all our athletes are truly drug free."

However, sometimes you just feel that the guy on stage there can not be drug free. Realistically, is there a way you can tell if someone is drug free, or go by their word?

Oliver Klaushof

• Getbig IV
Re: Can you tell if someone competes drug free?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2006, 10:25:39 PM »
I think you can tell, if you use the bodybuilders of the early 50s for comparison. If someone looks alot bigger and defined than Steve Reeves it throws up a red flag in my mind.

Who would want to look much bigger than this anyway?
"Shut the F up and train"

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2006, 03:22:56 AM »

Someone with serious issues!
w

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2006, 03:45:38 AM »
I do believe that nowadays than you can get much bigger than steve reeves naturally tho i agree with the point about you may not get much much leaner.

advances in diet and nutrition have helped immensely. the training is basically the same as it has always been, same principles etc. It is the drugs and diet which have changed bodybuilding from the early years to now.

Oliver Klaushof

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2006, 05:05:33 AM »
I agree that you can get bigger than Reeves today naturally, but I believe it's quite rare.

Borracho

• Getbig V
  • Waking up is possible if ur tired of the dream....
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2006, 07:04:44 AM »
There will always be someone out there with better genetics than you. However its possible to cheat drug tests so if you're a true lifetime natural you're pretty much screwed.

Acerimmer1

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2006, 11:21:57 AM »
I think you can tell, if you use the bodybuilders of the early 50s for comparison. If someone looks alot bigger and defined than Steve Reeves it throws up a red flag in my mind.

These days you can tell because natural guys can get much more dry as there's no estrogen etc floating around.

Rob Hope in fantastic condition.

PS: The idea is to be drug free not to look drug free!

Acerimmer1

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2006, 11:28:23 AM »
This part of the site is popular! I wonder if we can read anything into that?

cauthon

• Getbig II
  • Craig Killed for you Bitches
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2006, 12:15:16 PM »
I do believe that nowadays than you can get much bigger than steve reeves naturally tho i agree with the point about you may not get much much leaner.

advances in diet and nutrition have helped immensely. the training is basically the same as it has always been, same principles etc. It is the drugs and diet which have changed bodybuilding from the early years to now.

If you diet hard enough you can get leaner then Reeves naturaly. It gets hard keep your size on that strict a diet though. Reeves had a wicked build though.

Acerimmer1

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2006, 06:19:04 PM »
True but you shouldn't limit yourself to Reeves build if you want more mass. What was he 6ft and only 18 inch arms. Not that great in my opinion plus I think he could've got bigger if he'd actually wanted to.

Please don't use a guy who wasn't even trying to get any bigger as a yardstick for the biggest you can be natural.

Bossa

• Getbig IV
  • Is that Bossa it must be, I heard he husky
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2006, 08:43:23 PM »
True but you shouldn't limit yourself to Reeves build if you want more mass. What was he 6ft and only 18 inch arms. Not that great in my opinion plus I think he could've got bigger if he'd actually wanted to.

Please don't use a guy who wasn't even trying to get any bigger as a yardstick for the biggest you can be natural.

Reeves arms are not 18"

an123

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2006, 06:57:31 PM »
Not with the testing they do at smaller shows... Since testing would have to be done year round, and their simply isn't that kind of money in bodybuilding ... Let alone natural bodybuilding.

Acerimmer1

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2006, 08:13:00 PM »
Reeves arms are not 18"

So what are they? It said he had 18 inch arms at his peak he looked bigger than the photo!

Oliver Klaushof

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2006, 08:16:16 PM »
So what are they? It said he had 18 inch arms at his peak he looked bigger than the photo!

Arnold claimed 22'' biceps, so 18'' seems likely for Reeves. He was a tall guy 6'+.

Bossa

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2006, 09:02:09 PM »
Arnold claimed 22'' biceps, so 18'' seems likely for Reeves. He was a tall guy 6'+.

Arthur Jones taped Arnold's at less than 20....its called an exaggeration

Acerimmer1

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2006, 12:36:42 PM »
Arthur Jones taped Arnold's at less than 20....its called an exaggeration

He was not at his peak see the photo in the new hit book. His arms were probably bigger at the 1980 Olympia. But they were not ever 22.5 IMO.

Bossa

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2006, 01:31:55 PM »
He was not at his peak see the photo in the new hit book. His arms were probably bigger at the 1980 Olympia. But they were not ever 22.5 IMO.

So Reeves arm was the same size as Mentzer (he taped around 18.5)?

Come on...2/3 of your size is gonna be in your tricep (which Mentzer was huge) and Reeves' tri's were not very good...

bald

• Getbig IV
  • Squat Till You Puke!
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2006, 01:58:28 PM »
In competing in a natural bodybuilding contest, you always see this "Every athlete is polygraphed and class winners are urine tested. That is the best way to ensure that all our athletes are truly drug free."

However, sometimes you just feel that the guy on stage there can not be drug free. Realistically, is there a way you can tell if someone is drug free, or go by their word?

I know people that have passed both types of test, from what I understand it isn't that hard.

I also know some people that use to promote "tested" shows.  They usually only sent about a quarter of the urine test in.  Its expensive.
W

Kegdrainer

• Getbig IV
  • team yeah buddy
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2006, 09:25:56 AM »
This brings up the point of why.  Why would someone compete in an all natural show where 100% of competitors are tested if they are on something and can beat the test?  Would you be proud of yourself for winning a show where there is likely very little or no prize money (surely not enough to cover the costs of your drugs)
Would you feel a sense of accomplishment for beating guys who don't use steroids?  Then again, how shitty would you feel if you were on and got beat by someone clean anyways?  Competing in natural shows while on the juice is like me going in to a 3rd grade spelling bee. 

Acerimmer1

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2006, 09:43:32 AM »
So Reeves arm was the same size as Mentzer (he taped around 18.5)?

Come on...2/3 of your size is gonna be in your tricep (which Mentzer was huge) and Reeves' tri's were not very good...

Okay right yet in the 1980 Olympia when Arnold is past his prime his arms are twice as big as Mentzers (who also appears to be a dwarf compared to Arnie). How is that possible? Also Zanes arms appear about equal to Mentzers as I recall Jones taped them at 17 in 1979.

Bossa

• Getbig IV
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2006, 11:57:08 AM »
Okay right yet in the 1980 Olympia when Arnold is past his prime his arms are twice as big as Mentzers (who also appears to be a dwarf compared to Arnie). How is that possible? Also Zanes arms appear about equal to Mentzers as I recall Jones taped them at 17 in 1979.

His bicep, but again that only accounts for 1/3 of you arm.  As for zane his muscles were very narrow due to his small bone structure...but if his arms were 17...u really think Reeves' were an inch bigger...

bald

• Getbig IV
  • Squat Till You Puke!
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2006, 01:37:37 PM »
This brings up the point of why.  Why would someone compete in an all natural show where 100% of competitors are tested if they are on something and can beat the test?  Would you be proud of yourself for winning a show where there is likely very little or no prize money (surely not enough to cover the costs of your drugs)
Would you feel a sense of accomplishment for beating guys who don't use steroids?  Then again, how shitty would you feel if you were on and got beat by someone clean anyways?  Competing in natural shows while on the juice is like me going in to a 3rd grade spelling bee. 

Because they are pathetic.  I took second in a natural show to this clown, two weeks later he did another tested show and failed the drug test.  That fucker >:(

W