Author Topic: Is using supplements natural?  (Read 6197 times)

TK

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
Is using supplements natural?
« on: January 21, 2006, 09:33:41 PM »
Another quest - what type of supplements are considered ok for natural bodybuilding, and what isn't.

Was ephedra ok at the time? Are pro-hormones ok before they were banned? Are the current crop of special supplements (methyl-1, hydroxycut, legal gear) ok to use?

When they are drug testing, does any of this matter, or is it just steroids?

Oliver Klaushof

• Getbig IV
Re: Is using supplements natural?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2006, 10:13:19 PM »
I think most people would agree that you can use creatine and protein supplementation without losing the "natural" status. If you are currently using pro-hormones or were recently I would say no.
"Shut the F up and train"

Borracho

• Getbig V
  • Waking up is possible if ur tired of the dream....
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2006, 07:27:03 AM »
Another quest - what type of supplements are considered ok for natural bodybuilding, and what isn't.

Was ephedra ok at the time? Are pro-hormones ok before they were banned? Are the current crop of special supplements (methyl-1, hydroxycut, legal gear) ok to use?

I would agree with manson that if you ever used prohormones/prosteroids you are not natural. Ephedra/Ephedrine does not affect hormone levels so that is okay.

As to what is okay to use when being tested check with your federation on what the banned substances are.

cauthon

• Getbig II
  • Craig Killed for you Bitches
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2006, 12:21:52 PM »

I personally consider someone natural if they dont use pro-hormones. Different sports federations have their own rules about natural status. Would you guys consider someone natural on tribulas as it affects hormone levels. However as a herb tribulas is not really in the same category as pro hormones. As a side note hydroxycut isnt a special supplement. Its just caffeine and hydroxy citric acid

Borracho

• Getbig V
  • Waking up is possible if ur tired of the dream....
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2006, 12:32:21 PM »
With tribulus most people don't notice anything bro. All the research claiming it elevates test levels were done by the same company selling the stuff. I've read that if it actually does raise your test levels its only when they're really low.

trulytoned

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2006, 06:05:37 PM »
I think most people would agree that you can use creatine and protein supplementation without losing the "natural" status.

Ok then my question to you is this, if creatine was put in the same category as steriods and taken off the market, would you still be natural
big or bust

Oliver Klaushof

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2006, 06:15:55 PM »
Ok then my question to you is this, if creatine was put in the same category as steriods and taken off the market, would you still be natural

You would still be considered natural in the court of public opinion.

Creatine isn't a hormone, it's a dietary supplement.
"Shut the F up and train"

trulytoned

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2006, 06:18:02 PM »
Creatine isn't a hormone, it's a dietary supplement.

I realize that i was just wondering your opinion on the matter.
big or bust

cauthon

• Getbig II
  • Craig Killed for you Bitches
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2006, 07:14:29 PM »
Yup. If creatine made you un-natural you would use your natural status after the first steak of your life. ;)

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2006, 08:05:27 PM »
yup thats true.
bodybuildersreality.com

littleguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2006, 08:45:31 AM »
IMO if it is not on the FDA banned list or classified as a drug, it is natural....

myseone

• Getbig III
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2006, 09:53:20 PM »
The term natural bodybuilding is a weird term,
there really is'nt anything natural about what we do with our training, are diet, etc.

I guess most people feel that if you are using steriods then you are not natural, of course someone will argue that test is natural right.

Some supplements work better than certain drugs, for example I know of a few people who have used clenbluterol during a specific time and the Ephedrine/caffeine/asprin stack at another time, and they swear that clen was weak compared to the results that they got on the ephedrine stack.

Also things such as prohormones, despite the Mark Mcquire rap, are no where near the effectiveness of even a weaker steriod such as Winstrol for example. I personally think that prohormones got a bad rap.

Everything from protein powder to creatine are provided in enhanced form to create a supplement that produces results better than old school liver tablets and mega mass 2000.

Not to mention the hormones, chemicals and over manipulated food products we consume, I don't think any of us has been natural since the 19th century.

As supplements become better, as technology improves, there will be supplements that will be able to manipulate are DNA to produce bigger and more ripped muscles, and there is a possibility that some of this stuff will eventually be in supplement stores.

The line is already bluring, and it will continue to do so.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2006, 07:02:47 AM »
The term natural bodybuilding is a weird term,
there really is'nt anything natural about what we do with our training, are diet, etc.

I guess most people feel that if you are using steriods then you are not natural, of course someone will argue that test is natural right.

Some supplements work better than certain drugs, for example I know of a few people who have used clenbluterol during a specific time and the Ephedrine/caffeine/asprin stack at another time, and they swear that clen was weak compared to the results that they got on the ephedrine stack.

Also things such as prohormones, despite the Mark Mcquire rap, are no where near the effectiveness of even a weaker steriod such as Winstrol for example. I personally think that prohormones got a bad rap.

Everything from protein powder to creatine are provided in enhanced form to create a supplement that produces results better than old school liver tablets and mega mass 2000.

Not to mention the hormones, chemicals and over manipulated food products we consume, I don't think any of us has been natural since the 19th century.

As supplements become better, as technology improves, there will be supplements that will be able to manipulate are DNA to produce bigger and more ripped muscles, and there is a possibility that some of this stuff will eventually be in supplement stores.

The line is already bluring, and it will continue to do so.

Many people feel that anything, short of anabolics themselves, is considered natural. I would agree....to a point.

The big issue is concentration. My rule of thumb for buying supplements is that doing so is for getting a high amount of nutrients that would be extremely difficult (if not downright impossible/impractical) to get from regular food.

Take whey protein, for instance. Whey naturally occurs in milk, but it makes up only 20% of milk's total protein value. In order to duplicate the amount of whey protein found in your average 100% whey RTD/MRP, you'd have to drink nearly TWO GALLONS of moo juice.

Caffeine is also natural. But, most fat burners have, in just 4-6 pills, the caffeine equivalent of a dozen or so cups of coffee. Even simple supplements like Vitamin C are super-concentrated. 2 pills equal a buttload of oranges or grapefruits.

And creatine???. Serge Nubret mentioned, in an article for MuscleMag International, that he was into the creatine things decades ago. Only, he got his the old-fashioned way from eating several pounds of beef or horsemeat, which he could afford due to the money he made as a movie star in France.

But, who here is going to eat a dozen pounds of meat to get 5 grams of creatine?? Not ME!!! And that's just for maintenance. What about the loading phase???

The line here, with regards to hormones is boosting one's own hormone output vs. using synthetic (or chemically-altered) hormones. Doing the former is considered "natural"; doing the latter is not.

monster triceps

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
  • RIP slobby :(
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2006, 07:44:08 AM »
What exactly is natural about creatine or whey?
young niggah greedy

myseone

• Getbig III
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2006, 11:30:55 AM »
What exactly is natural about creatine or whey?

Supplementation wise,
Nothing really, in a sense it is like spliting hairs.

myseone

• Getbig III
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2006, 11:46:45 AM »
The perfect natural:

A person who sleeps outdoors under a tree or in a cave,
wakes up and goes down to the river with a sharp stick and hunts for fish,
eats his fish raw along with the fruit on the nearby tree,
Every Sunday him and the other males in his tribe go hunting with sticks or bows and arrows for wild game

The perfect un-natural:
A person who sleeps in a cryo-chamber that pumps vapour filled with anabolic drugs into his system, Upon awakening he walks over to the replicator and receives a IV drip of green goo like liquid that can a perfect ratio of nutrients and nano machines for optimal growth,
He no longer has to weight train because the nano machines in his body send singles to the muscle groups to growth,
Every Sunday he and his buddies get a kick out of looking at old footage of bodybuilders from the early 21 century pose their puny muscles on stage.

Written just for fun