Author Topic: guitar pickups?  (Read 1916 times)

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
guitar pickups?
« on: April 16, 2014, 02:48:02 PM »
Name your favs.
A

Bobby

• Getbig V
  • is da lordes plan
Re: guitar pickups?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 03:07:29 PM »
EMG 81
Seymour Duncan JB
Custom Shop 69 (for strat)
tank u jesus

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 03:27:02 PM »
This one is my favorite:

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 03:34:18 PM »
Makes me no mind. Once the amps are blazin' and the effects loop is kickin' it really doesn't matter....

Unless you want to compare single coil pickups to Humbuckers, then I would say: "What kind of music are we playin?"

My ears are great judges. I have yet to find a component of my music that narrows something that sucks down to a series of magnets, copper and a series of copper wiring coils.

Nirvana

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 04:05:49 PM »
Lollars.

d0nny2600

• Getbig V
  • http://i.imgur.com/mCzI3N5.jpg
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2014, 05:06:46 PM »
Makes me no mind. Once the amps are blazin' and the effects loop is kickin' it really doesn't matter....

Unless you want to compare single coil pickups to Humbuckers, then I would say: "What kind of music are we playin?"

My ears are great judges. I have yet to find a component of my music that narrows something that sucks down to a series of magnets, copper and a series of copper wiring coils.
Strange they are probably the most significant part of your tone. That and your hands.

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
  • Better to die on your feet than on your knees.
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2014, 05:43:18 PM »
Standard Gibson PAF's.  The older, the better.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2014, 05:57:48 PM »
Danelectro Lipstick Pickups

the trainer

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2014, 06:24:42 PM »

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2014, 06:37:13 PM »
Strange they are probably the most significant part of your tone. That and your hands.

I beg to differ with you, this coming from someone who has been around Luthiers and playing music for well over 40 years.

Fingers + Mind

Slap some strings over a piece of wood.

I'm not going to give any more credit to pickups than I would to an American made Strat than I would to a $50 Chinese Strat.

If you don't believe me, well... I've got quite a lot of vids to prove otherwise.

You can't tell what I'm playing unless you see the guitar, and as stated, unless we are talking single-coil (noisy) Strat pickups, then yes, you might possibly have an idea.

It's just my opinion. It means nothing.

My music can speak for itself. If I am a dumbass and I don't comprehend the importance of windings around magnets, then that's on me, not you. Maybe you are correct....

But maybe you are not.  ;D

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2014, 07:21:20 PM »

the older I get the less effects I been using at one time. Most effects start sounding cheesy and over processed.
A

goomba420

• Getbig III
  • It could always be worse. Positivity is key.
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2014, 09:29:52 PM »
Seymour Duncan Antiquity surfer

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2014, 09:41:37 PM »
EMG 81
Seymour Duncan JB
Custom Shop 69 (for strat)

2, 3, 1

piezo of piece

YngiweRhoads

• Getbig V
  • Shreddin'
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2014, 10:26:27 PM »
Shitty pickups tend to sound like shit. eg. EMG HZ are their passives and sound like ass. The actives on the hand, kick ass.

smoothasf

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2014, 11:16:56 PM »
Fender pafs, tokai ls125, custom shop 50s and for the price texmex.  Pickups matter 100% straight into an amp. Through effects mod they matter not one bit.

Nirvana

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2014, 11:20:43 PM »
I beg to differ with you, this coming from someone who has been around Luthiers and playing music for well over 40 years.

Fingers + Mind

Slap some strings over a piece of wood.

I'm not going to give any more credit to pickups than I would to an American made Strat than I would to a $50 Chinese Strat.

If you don't believe me, well... I've got quite a lot of vids to prove otherwise.

You can't tell what I'm playing unless you see the guitar, and as stated, unless we are talking single-coil (noisy) Strat pickups, then yes, you might possibly have an idea.

It's just my opinion. It means nothing.

My music can speak for itself. If I am a dumbass and I don't comprehend the importance of windings around magnets, then that's on me, not you. Maybe you are correct....

But maybe you are not.  ;D
Lollars sound much clearer than the mudslides that came on my american 72 tele reissue.

wolfrittner

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2014, 05:29:18 AM »
My fav. EMG 81/85. Also really like the burstbuckers on my Old Les Paul I think you need to be able just switch and get a nice Clean tone. But I do have single coil and Humbucker but I rarly use em.I don't use much of effects. I get everything I need from the pickups and the Marshall(JCM 800). If I chose to ad something I always can but I like the soul of a guitar . None of em are ever alike.
The emg deliver such a deep powerful sound. If someone would take them away and said I can never use them again, I would really be upset!!(and would tell everyone how great they were) EMG-Gibson- Les Paul -Marshall = RockaRolla Heaven!!

Army of One

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2014, 05:32:51 AM »
I'm moving on from medium up to 5 buttons on Guitar Hero

Whiskey

• Getbig III
  • Team Billy Of Peace
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2014, 05:40:56 AM »
I'm moving on from medium up to 5 buttons on Guitar Hero

That's pretty god damn impressive!

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2014, 05:43:07 AM »
I like active Seymour duncans

dyxlesic has a good point about it being more down to the guitarist

everyone thought brian mays guitar was where he got his sound from

ive seen a vid of yngwie playing on it and he sounded exactly like he normally does
T

wolfrittner

• Getbig IV
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2014, 05:58:28 AM »
I wouldn't want a nice Les Paul with some cheap ass sounding pick ups in it. Can you imagine the disappointment
once you plug the Axe in and you get this crackly whistling weak sounding tone? All the playing in the world is not gonna make it go away. I agree most Pick ups are more then acceptable now. eddie build his own pick ups and spend years of wiring them up!! All kinds of shit until he found what he liked in a pick up.  And that guy can play. Oh almost forgot the P90s.(the original ones)

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2014, 08:36:14 AM »
I didn't mention it, but I didn't back myself up with my post either.

I too have wired and made many, many of my own pickups. When it's all said and done...

such a waste of time. Yes, there are some pickups that are "supposed" to be great, but I've had those and hated them. Why? because they changed nothing as far as how "I" sound on the guitar.

No, I don't want a crackly, broken single-coil P.O.S. pickup, but I'm not gonna spend a bunch of money on some pickup that is supposed to be extremely "hot" or whatever they call it. It's misleading to kids who know no better, much like the kid who is looking at a Mr. O and asking the GNC employee which supps he should be taking....

Yes, there is "something" to it, but not nearly as much as people want you to believe.

Guitar... meh... fingers (everything) mind (everything) pickups.. meh... strings.. meh... amp... a pretty good piece of it.... effects (EVERYTHING!)

Now, when you hand me an acoustic guitar, you really aren't going to notice much difference unless you hand me a 10K Martin or something, or possibly a 12 string, other than that, it's personal preference...

YngiweRhoads

• Getbig V
  • Shreddin'
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2014, 08:50:14 AM »
I wouldn't want a nice Les Paul with some cheap ass sounding pick ups in it. Can you imagine the disappointment
once you plug the Axe in and you get this crackly whistling weak sounding tone? All the playing in the world is not gonna make it go away. I agree most Pick ups are more then acceptable now. eddie build his own pick ups and spend years of wiring them up!! All kinds of shit until he found what he liked in a pick up.  And that guy can play. Oh almost forgot the P90s.(the original ones)

The quality of cheaper guitars has gone up tremendously as well. 25 years ago a cheap guitar was shit. Now you can great sub $1k import guitars. Many of them superior to the $3K+ US made stuff. It's hit-and-miss really.

wolfrittner

• Getbig IV
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2014, 09:40:05 AM »
The quality of cheaper guitars has gone up tremendously as well. 25 years ago a cheap guitar was shit. Now you can great sub $1k import guitars. Many of them superior to the $3K+ US made stuff. It's hit-and-miss really.
Absolutely! Anyone can afford a pretty nice guitar today. (if you know what to look for).
I remember my first guitar was a SG copy and screws and shit kept falling of when you played it! Horrible Lol

YngiweRhoads

• Getbig V
  • Shreddin'
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2014, 10:16:08 AM »
Absolutely! Anyone can afford a pretty nice guitar today. (if you know what to look for).
I remember my first guitar was a SG copy and screws and shit kept falling of when you played it! Horrible Lol

I just picked up an Ibanez Iron Label for $700 and it's a killer guitar. Plays/sounds like a dream. I like the bar better than my Floyds. Single volume, no tone, kill switch, wizard neck and 81/60 combo. All my other EMG gits are 81/85.