Author Topic: Just paid $38k in state taxes...  (Read 10024 times)

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
Re: Just paid $38k in state taxes...
« Reply #50 on: April 19, 2014, 11:03:45 PM »
Why the hell do you guys put up with state taxes? As a Florida boy, I have never had to worry about that.

So you have to pay federal and state tax? Fuck that shit.

Florida

Sales tax: 6%
Property tax per capita: $1,507

no one

• Getbig V
  • have i hurt your feelings?
« Reply #51 on: April 19, 2014, 11:08:13 PM »

hahahah fatalice getting owned for being a liar. quel surprise!
b

jude2

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #52 on: April 19, 2014, 11:11:02 PM »
You are full of shit. The average teacher salary in California is $68,000. Starting salary is $41,000. There is no tuition for public school, therefore every student is essentially a "freebie" regardless of ethic origin.  The student teacher ratio in California is relatively high at 20.9. The national average is 15.1. I'd say do the math, but math doesn't seem to be your strong suit.

What is amazing is that someone with your obvious lack of knowledge, earns enough money to have that high a state tax bite. The California tax rate for someone making $1,000.001 and above is 10.3% which means you would have to have a taxable income of nearing $4,000,000 after deductions in order to owe $38,000 in state taxes.
Most of us who work and pay taxes knew he was full of shit.

Rosicrucian

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
  • Brown paper bags + Bathroom stall + Tom Prince.
« Reply #53 on: April 20, 2014, 12:11:23 AM »
You are full of shit. The average teacher salary in California is $68,000. Starting salary is $41,000. There is no tuition for public school, therefore every student is essentially a "freebie" regardless of ethic origin.  The student teacher ratio in California is relatively high at 20.9. The national average is 15.1. I'd say do the math, but math doesn't seem to be your strong suit.

What is amazing is that someone with your obvious lack of knowledge, earns enough money to have that high a state tax bite. The California tax rate for someone making $1,000.001 and above is 10.3% which means you would have to have a taxable income of nearing $4,000,000 after deductions in order to owe $38,000 in state taxes.

Hey no worries I understand why you can be cynical and misguided and how simple assumptions can lead to funky deductions. What I'm perplex about is the time spent on this, especially that you don't live in Cali and make assumptions on averages your read "online". Here in SD North County, 44% of the classes are hispanics. Salaries varies per school district so you should drill down on the level of detail. Average class size is 33.  

Running a business in Cali isn't easy these days... 3800 hrs of consulting gigs in 2014, benefits, Brobama care... 38K isn't actually too bad. Ironically, our Federal burden wasn't that much more, which makes this questionable and generates a high desire to incorporate elsewhere and eventually move to AZ or TX.

Dunno about personal income burden yet, will know in August  8).

GodSpeed and thanks for your interest in the cause; illegals need to pay taxes, or what the left calls their "fair share" or all hell is breaking loose VERY SOON.

My kids are home schooled. Lots of people are going down that road... wonder what the consequence will be in 10 years...

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #54 on: April 20, 2014, 01:00:47 AM »
Which tells you he doesn't know shit if he thinks a teacher only makes $38,000 a year.

They only work half the year, and can't even managed to teach high schoolers to read anymore. They deserve no more than $38,000.

Those who can, do; those who can't, teach.

LiftEaTsLeEpRePeAt

• Getbig IV
  • Fish
« Reply #55 on: April 20, 2014, 09:11:03 AM »
Hey no worries I understand why you can be cynical and misguided and how simple assumptions can lead to funky deductions. What I'm perplex about is the time spent on this, especially that you don't live in Cali and make assumptions on averages your read "online". Here in SD North County, 44% of the classes are hispanics. Salaries varies per school district so you should drill down on the level of detail. Average class size is 33.  

Running a business in Cali isn't easy these days... 3800 hrs of consulting gigs in 2014, benefits, Brobama care... 38K isn't actually too bad. Ironically, our Federal burden wasn't that much more, which makes this questionable and generates a high desire to incorporate elsewhere and eventually move to AZ or TX.

GodSpeed and thanks for your interest in the cause; illegals need to pay taxes, or what the left calls their "fair share" or all hell is breaking loose VERY SOON.

My kids are home schooled. Lots of people are going down that road... wonder what the consequence will be in 10 years...
My kids are home schooled. Lots of people are going down that road... wonder what the consequence will be in 10 years...   WTF now you had "kids"   lol you are pathetic
a

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: April 20, 2014, 11:52:44 AM »

I have roots in California. My parents own homes in Beverly Hills and Encino as did my wife's parents. Most all of our immediate family has vacated California in favor of Oregon, however our extended family and many of our friends still live in and around the L.A. area. I get that California has become a real "melting pot" of people with an emphasis on Latinos. When last I visited there, I felt like I was in a foreign country.

The issue with folks from South America not paying income taxes is complicated. If they are here illegally, then they can hardly claim their income with living under the radar. Of course regardless of immigration status, everyone pays sales tax. At least you have that in California. There is no sales tax in Oregon.....so talk about a free ride for illegals. Although an illegal would have difficulty owning property and thus paying property taxes, they probably rent. Renters pay property indirectly as it is built into the rent. Never-the-less, children here illegally still get a free lunch, literally. Not only that, if they qualify for free lunch, they also get breakfast and a snack. If they participate in an after school program or go to daycare, they get another light meal in the afternoon. These are Federal programs. At the school where I worked, volunteers actually provided sack lunches to help get the kids some nutrition over the weekends.

It would seem from what you wrote that the $38,000 you paid was corporate tax and not personal income tax. Perhaps I didn't read carefully enough, but it seemed as if you were originally implying it was personal income tax. Not to worry about my research though, it only took a minute to check the tax burden in California. California clearly has one of the highest tax burdens. Of course, California's proposition 13 passed in 1978 limiting property taxes hasn't helped with school funding there since most school funding comes out of property taxes. Oregon passed Measure 5 in 1990 which has had a similar negative affect on school funding. Private school is a choice one makes. Eventually, if enough folks make that choice it will devastate public education. The rich will be educated and the poor won't. We will be like other 3rd world countries in that respect.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: April 20, 2014, 12:00:16 PM »
They only work half the year, and can't even managed to teach high schoolers to read anymore. They deserve no more than $38,000.

The school year is actually 10 months and not 6 months long, just so you know. During the school year, many teachers work very long hours. Education should be a collaborative effort between the students, their parents and their teachers. Many parents today aren't involved in their children's education and in fact work in a counterproductive manner when it comes to education. Apparently you feel teachers are overpaid. Oddly enough, folks going into teaching are in short supply. Salaries are about supply and demand as well as qualifications. Someone having the education level it takes to be a teacher, could work in any number of other fields where the pay is much better.

ProudVirgin69

• Getbig V
  • hardcore redneck electric champion
« Reply #58 on: April 20, 2014, 12:56:39 PM »

So you think the quality of education is poor, and your suggestion on how to attract better teachers is to...pay them less? ???

Maybe i misunderstood you, but that doesn't make much sense to me

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: April 20, 2014, 01:48:01 PM »
So you think the quality of education is poor, and your suggestion on how to attract better teachers is to...pay them less? ???

Maybe i misunderstood you, but that doesn't make much sense to me

I'm halfway trolling in response to Primemuscles annoying post.

Charter schools and vouchers are probably the solution? Clearly ever increasing funding isn't changing anything.

ProudVirgin69

• Getbig V
« Reply #60 on: April 20, 2014, 01:57:00 PM »

Charter schools and vouchers are probably the solution? Clearly ever increasing funding isn't changing anything.

It's a complicated issue...I suspect that reducing the disparities in funding among public schools is maybe the solution, but that isn't always as clear cut as it would seem.

Personally, I think addressing the education of our children should be the biggest priority of our government.  I don't know what it'll take, but if we don't start fixing that, we'll be fucked in 20 years

Rosicrucian

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
  • Brown paper bags + Bathroom stall + Tom Prince.
« Reply #61 on: April 20, 2014, 04:55:55 PM »
It's a complicated issue...I suspect that reducing the disparities in funding among public schools is maybe the solution, but that isn't always as clear cut as it would seem.

Personally, I think addressing the education of our children should be the biggest priority of our government.  I don't know what it'll take, but if we don't start fixing that, we'll be fucked in 20 years

Indeed.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #62 on: April 20, 2014, 09:54:29 PM »

Don't make attendance compulsory. At 14/15/16 if they're not cutting it, move 'em to a trade route, etc. It's easy to villainize teachers (though some are worthless, thanks to their union protectors), but for the most part, it's apathetic kids and parents. The world's best teacher couldn't pull it off. If they truly don't give a fuck, what the hell is a teacher gonna do? I'm all for vouchers and charter schools, by the way, and NO, increasing funding isn't the answer. This is liberal denial is all; they know what the real problem is.

Also, look closely at which students at which schools are performing poorly. White communities? Jewish, Asian? Think maybe culture has something to do with it? Fuck 'em, if they're unreachable by high school, another four years is pointless.

ProudVirgin69

• Getbig V
« Reply #63 on: April 20, 2014, 10:09:09 PM »
Don't make attendance compulsory. At 14/15/16 if they're not cutting it, move 'em to a trade route, etc. It's easy to villainize teachers (though some are worthless, thanks to their union protectors), but for the most part, it's apathetic kids and parents. The world's best teacher couldn't pull it off. If they truly don't give a fuck, what the hell is a teacher gonna do? I'm all for vouchers and charter schools, by the way, and NO, increasing funding isn't the answer. This is liberal denial is all; they know what the real problem is.

Also, look closely at which students at which schools are performing poorly. White communities? Jewish, Asian? Think maybe culture has something to do with it? Fuck 'em, if they're unreachable by high school, another four years is pointless.

These "unreachable" kids, what do you suggest for them?

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: April 20, 2014, 10:10:32 PM »

Send them back to Africa

Just kidding

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #65 on: April 20, 2014, 10:14:19 PM »

I addressed that. Focus on a trade. Unfortunately, it's not PC to admit that some are just not going to succeed academically, so we blame ourselves, and waste resources and another four years of their lives, which could be spent doing something more productive.

Let me guess, more money, right?

ProudVirgin69

• Getbig V
« Reply #66 on: April 20, 2014, 10:18:43 PM »
I addressed that. Focus on a trade. Unfortunately, it's not PC to admit that some are just not going to succeed academically, so we blame ourselves, and waste resources and another four years of their lives, which could be spent doing something more productive.

Let me guess, more money, right?

I wasn't sure if that's what you meant.  14 years old seems awfully young to determine someone's career path.  I do agree that we need to provide at-risk youth with the means to earn a living & have a career, but like I said...14 is young

Edit: and I wouldn't mind if a larger proportion of our budget was spent on public education.  Throwing money at the situation won't fix it, but there are much more egregious uses for our tax money than education

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #67 on: April 20, 2014, 10:21:26 PM »
14 years old seems awfully young to determine someone's career path. 

Don't they do that in Europe? I think you choose your career path at Middle School level and start preparing for it?

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #68 on: April 20, 2014, 10:31:20 PM »
Don't they do that in Europe? I think you choose your career path at Middle School level and start preparing for it?

Yes, and it seems to work well. Japan, too. Funny thing, we implemented the European education model for Japan after WWII, and it's working brilliantly. Yet we are too crippled by liberal political correctness to use it ourselves.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #69 on: April 20, 2014, 10:34:02 PM »
I wasn't sure if that's what you meant.  14 years old seems awfully young to determine someone's career path.  I do agree that we need to provide at-risk youth with the means to earn a living & have a career, but like I said...14 is young

Edit: and I wouldn't mind if a larger proportion of our budget was spent on public education.  Throwing money at the situation won't fix it, but there are much more egregious uses for our tax money than education

By 14, you've already been in school how many years? If you've performed miserably, the last four are gonna make a difference, really?

Teutonic Knight

• Getbig V
« Reply #70 on: April 20, 2014, 11:12:14 PM »
Yes, and it seems to work well. Japan, too. Funny thing, we implemented the European education model for Japan after WWII, and it's working brilliantly. Yet we are too crippled by liberal political correctness to use it ourselves.

Gee Navaho, U must be over 80 if U remember WW2  ::)
(how many liver replacements  ;D)

PS. How old is yours grand daughter again ?.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #71 on: April 21, 2014, 12:20:48 AM »

Why is it that the truth is annoying to some people? Probably because they would rather not know the truth.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #72 on: April 21, 2014, 12:23:03 AM »
Why is it that the truth is annoying to some people? Probably because they would rather not know the truth.

It's annoying because it was so obvious that I was merely explaining the original post to someone. You responded like a hurt public school teacher.  :P

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #73 on: April 21, 2014, 12:43:28 AM »

/
And for those who cannot afford charter schools? What is your suggestion here?

My grandson is currently enrolled in a private online school for his junior year because the Texas school system was so fucked up that neither traditional school nor the public online school system in Texas could meet his needs. BTW his tests show he is at or near genius levels because his IQ is so high. Fortunately, he is back in Oregon now and because his parents forked over $10,000 in tuition for private school he has managed to excel to the point where he can literally sail though his senior year with almost no required courses. It has been a struggle not helped much, if at all, by Texas' underfunded and seriously lacking public school system.

Funding is not the only answer. But lack of funding and support is also not the answer. As a society we can either choose to value education or not. If we choose not to, then expect that a lot of talent will go wasted. Not everyone can afford a private education, therefore public education should be an option for all.

You are right, many kids will do as little as they have to, to get by in school. If parents aren't willing to support their kid's education in a very real and active way, then expect that many young folks will underachieve. The responsibility should not be totally on educators shoulders.    

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #74 on: April 21, 2014, 12:45:48 AM »

It would seem some folks would suggest we throw them away. If but it were so simple. Think in terms of pay now or pay later.