Author Topic: Ground Beef: 80% or 90%  (Read 1449 times)

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive
Ground Beef: 80% or 90%
« on: April 17, 2014, 11:35:34 AM »
When you guys eat ground beef, do you spend the extra money for the leaner meat? I have decided to save money and just eat the 80% lean beef. The price of ground meat is not cheap anymore. I think that the 80% tastes better anyway.

If I feel like spending the extra money; I'll just get a Sirloin, Top Round, or Flank Steak

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
  • I can spot crazy pussy....
Re: Ground Beef: 80% or 90%
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 11:38:43 AM »
When you guys eat ground beef, do you spend the extra money for the leaner meat? I have decided to save money and just eat the 80% lean beef. The price of ground meat is not cheap anymore. I think that the 80% tastes better anyway.

If I feel like spending the extra money; I'll just get a Sirloin, Top Round, or Flank Steak

You get what you pay for. The 90% is better for you, usually in smaller portions per ounce, and more expensive but the 80% is more flavorful because of the excess fat.

Meat prices are going bonkers right now and will continue to rise.

liquid_c

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 11:43:53 AM »
If you press the meat with paper towels when it is done cooking, you can pretty much make the fat content very similar supposedly. 

the trainer

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 11:44:00 AM »

If you are going to be cheap with your body then you dont deserve to call yourself a bodybuilder, buy cheap clothes, cheap phones, cheap house whatever but always put the best quality food in your body.

no one

• Getbig V
  • have i hurt your feelings?
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 11:50:35 AM »

deosnt matter. whats it work out to- and extra 50 cals per 100grams?

if your that worried about it rinse it off under hot water.
b

ESFitness

• Getbig V
  • i win.
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 11:51:54 AM »
buddy of mine worked at a meat packing plant... says the difference between the fatty stuff and the lean stuff isn't "checked".. it's 'eyeballed' and not accurate at all. so your 90% stuff is very rarely 90 or even close to it.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2014, 12:09:33 PM »

80 percent is what you want.  No reason to eat cardboard. 

WannaBePro

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2014, 12:12:35 PM »
I usually get "lean" or "medium" so i guess that's around 80%, I don't really pay attention much to that. I get it because I'm on low carb and fats are something I need, so it works out great. When I fry the beef a lot of the fat ends up draining out anyway, so even if you're not on low carb or keto you can still "clean" the fat out lol.
Save your money, bud, go for the cheap stuff  :D

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2014, 12:13:35 PM »
buddy of mine worked at a meat packing plant... says the difference between the fatty stuff and the lean stuff isn't "checked".. it's 'eyeballed' and not accurate at all. so your 90% stuff is very rarely 90 or even close to it.
This is true.  The leaner the ground beef, the wider the margin of error will be.  The 80 percent will usually be dead on.  The label is supposed to be within 20 percent of the claim and usually these standards are met.  The most common errors will be from your lean ground beef, 90 percent and above.

Mawse

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2014, 12:16:25 PM »
Rinse your beef (grass fed of course) and cook it in red palm oil, follow with a big glass of waxy maize and some extreme fascial stretching.

Or just buy good 80% and eat it in a hamburger like a normal fucking person.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2014, 12:17:46 PM »
Rinse your beef (grass fed of course) and cook it in red palm oil, follow with a big glass of waxy maize and some extreme fascial stretching.

Or just buy good 80% and eat it in a hamburger like a normal fucking person.
You forgot to tell them that the 11th commandment is "Thou shall not Rinse Ground Beef".

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2014, 12:22:53 PM »
I suggest not buying that crap at all

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2014, 12:25:52 PM »
I suggest not buying that crap at all
I suggest that suggestion is a rather poor one.

I suggest to look for Ground Chuck (which will be 80/20) and not ground beef and when in doubt or if you want the best taste, just grind your own meat. 

Simple Simon

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2014, 12:28:36 PM »
I mince ribeye steak with 80% mince.

Just sayin....

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2014, 12:29:06 PM »
No im fine not eating any of that crap at all, other than the occasional burger. It has more detrimental effects than positive ones.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2014, 12:31:36 PM »
No im fine not eating any of that crap at all, other than the occasional burger. It has more detrimental effects than positive ones.
The tin foil hat you wear is more detrimental to your health than anything.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2014, 12:33:20 PM »
I mince ribeye steak with 80% mince.

Just sayin....
Good man!  I think more people should listen to your advices.  There are a lot of gems hidden between teh funnies.  Hopefully people catch them rather than focus on the harangue.

Novena

• Getbig IV
  • "commonsense" shields us from the pain of thinking
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2014, 12:39:00 PM »

When it comes to beef, ground or in steaks, your best friend is your frost free freezing compartment/freezer.  If the grocery store is open 24 hours, go at 2am-7am. 

Look for sale items and don’t overlook the part devoted to packages that are ready to expire. (You have to immediatly freeze it when you get home.)

For ground meat I get an old egg poaching pan; plastic sheeting; plastic bags; an old postal scale.

I put a sheet of plastic in the egg pan.  Put 4 oz of meat in the pan.

Wrap it up and put it in the plastic bag.

Place the full bag on a plate for the time being and put it in the freezer.  Have the freezer a little on the cold side because quick frozen meat is better. 
After it is frozen you take the plate away, it is only there to keep the meat patties flat while freezing.  (easier to grill)

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2014, 12:41:20 PM »
When it comes to beef, ground or in steaks, your best friend is your frost free freezing compartment/freezer.  If the grocery store is open 24 hours, go at 2am-7am.  

Look for sale items and don’t overlook the part devoted to packages that are ready to expire. (You have to immediatly freeze it when you get home.)

For ground meat I get an old egg poaching pan; plastic sheeting; plastic bags; an old postal scale.

I put a sheet of plastic in the egg pan.  Put 4 oz of meat in the pan.

Wrap it up and put it in the plastic bag.

Place the full bag on a plate for the time being and put it in the freezer.  Have the freezer a little on the cold side because quick frozen meat is better.  
After it is frozen you take the plate away, it is only there to keep the meat patties flat while freezing.  (easier to grill)

Good meat should never be frozen and should be consumed the same day you bought it.

Don`t even think about EVER freezing a steak.  That is just a waste.  May as well cook it for your dog.

Ground beef can be frozen, but not for hamburgers or anything like that.  You could only use it in a sauce or something of that nature.

Freezing is only acceptable if you are making a stew or braise or something cooked in a sauce for long hours.  Other than that, freezing beef is not a good idea really.

Novena

• Getbig IV
  • "commonsense" shields us from the pain of thinking
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2014, 12:47:26 PM »
Good meat should never be frozen and should be consumed the same day you bought it.

Don`t even think about EVER freezing a steak.  That is just a waste.  May as well cook it for your dog.

Ground beef can be frozen, but not for hamburgers or anything like that.  You could only use it in a sauce or something of that nature.

Freezing is only acceptable if you are making a stew or braise or something cooked in a sauce for long hours.  Other than that, freezing beef is not a good idea really.

Ideally you should only personally attend the Vienna Philharmonic.  Realistically, I have to make do with Deutsche Grammophon Gesellschaft.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2014, 12:49:15 PM »
Ideally you should only personally attend the Vienna Philharmonic.  Realistically, I have to make do with Deutsche Grammophon Gesellschaft.
Or you could just buy what you need for that day instead of hording like demented prepper, crying to the world about "the end times".

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2014, 12:55:57 PM »
90%+ ground beef ends up chalky when cooked. Not good at all

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
  • Better to die on your feet than on your knees.
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2014, 01:03:18 PM »
80%.  Much more tasty and juicy.