Author Topic: Childhood memories for "todays" kids  (Read 4850 times)

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
Re: Childhood memories for "todays" kids
« Reply #50 on: April 18, 2014, 07:01:02 AM »
Jarts
Throwing your baseball glove in a pile to pick sides
Kick-the-can games that went for hours
Road hockey with a tennis ball soaked in gasoline and lit
Playing football 'til it was so dark that you could barely see each other

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
  • Better to die on your feet than on your knees.
« Reply #51 on: April 18, 2014, 07:51:39 AM »
Jarts
Throwing your baseball glove in a pile to pick sides
Kick-the-can games that went for hours
Road hockey with a tennis ball soaked in gasoline and lit
Playing football 'til it was so dark that you could barely see each other

Also, soccer ball soaked in gas and lit on fire and kicked around.  It was exciting when it got stuck underneath a car.

Another one was to take steel wool pads (no soap), tie a string on them, light the steel wool and swing it around as fast as possible.  Sparks would fly 20-30 feet in the air.   Very cheap 4th of July entertainment.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #52 on: April 18, 2014, 07:58:04 AM »
Also, soccer ball soaked in gas and lit on fire and kicked around.  It was exciting when it got stuck underneath a car.

Another one was to take steel wool pads (no soap), tie a string on them, light the steel wool and swing it around as fast as possible.  Sparks would fly 20-30 feet in the air.   Very cheap 4th of July entertainment.
That did happen. We thought the car would instantly explode, like in the movies. After 30 secs, someone was brave enough to hook it out and the game resumed. I remember the flaming ball made a cool 'whooshing' sound when it screamed by your head. Kids.   ::)       ;D

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #53 on: April 18, 2014, 08:00:18 AM »
Maybe I got lucky with the timing:

Me:
Star Wars
Video games
Baseball
Legos
BB guns
WWF

Son:
Star Wars
Video games
Baseball
Legos
BB guns
WWE
Y

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
« Reply #54 on: April 18, 2014, 08:03:45 AM »
That did happen. We thought the car would instantly explode, like in the movies. After 30 secs, someone was brave enough to hook it out and the game resumed. I remember the flaming ball made a cool 'whooshing' sound when it screamed by your head. Kids.   ::)       ;D

Yes.  How about the tennis ball cannon?  We would cut out the top and bottoms of 4-5 cans... tape them together... put the ball in the bottom in a pool of lighter fluid, then lite it.  The ball would launch several 100 feet in the air.  

SamoanIrishman

• Getbig IV
  • Why stress the little people..
« Reply #55 on: April 18, 2014, 08:29:41 AM »
Spending the day fishing, surfing, shooting slingshots / pellet guns, playing war in the Forrest, building forts, sneaking GPA's dirty magazines to show to the boys hahaha

Sure we had an Atari but we were only allowed 1hr of it before bed assuming chores and homework was done. Got a little more time if it was raining outside but even then it wasn't an all day thing.

The Idol

« Reply #56 on: April 18, 2014, 08:36:42 AM »
mainly before the OP was born :D
Start dating White chicks dude. Have some self esteem.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #57 on: April 18, 2014, 08:37:04 AM »
Yes.  How about the tennis ball cannon?  We would cut out the top and bottoms of 4-5 cans... tape them together... put the ball in the bottom in a pool of lighter fluid, then lite it.  The ball would launch several 100 feet in the air.  
Yes! Totally forgot about that one. My best bud's older brother always had one of those. And spud guns you made out of pvc piping, hairspray and a bbq igniter. Could put a potato through the planking of the fence at the end of the yard. Glorious destruction.  

Papper

• Getbig V
  • Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do.
« Reply #58 on: April 18, 2014, 09:31:31 AM »

SamoanIrishman

• Getbig IV
« Reply #59 on: April 18, 2014, 09:33:13 AM »
Oh and MTV only played music videos ALL DAY LONG

Papper

• Getbig V
« Reply #60 on: April 18, 2014, 10:20:47 AM »
Oh and MTV only played music videos ALL DAY LONG

geezers often reminisce about this music television thing

8)

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
« Reply #61 on: April 18, 2014, 10:23:46 AM »
geezers often reminisce about this music television thing

8)

Hopefully, you make it to be a geezer someday.

SamoanIrishman

• Getbig IV
« Reply #62 on: April 18, 2014, 11:32:14 AM »
Yeah, at 36 Im the "geezer" of the rugby team..I've heard it all before and its cool cause out on the field, Imma plant my old ass shoulder into their chest and test the ph of the soil with youngbloods face. ;D

Papper

• Getbig V
« Reply #63 on: April 18, 2014, 11:39:19 AM »
Hopefully, you make it to be a geezer someday.

lol no I am quite old really but I feel ten times older hearing that "mtv used to play music". damnit men, let's pretend we're young  8)

SamoanIrishman

• Getbig IV
« Reply #64 on: April 18, 2014, 11:49:48 AM »
speaking of childhood memories.

Throwing out old shit I found some of my old "mix tapes" for my Walkman of whom gave me years of dedicated service in the gym btw. I showed it to my teenager and had to explain to her how when you like different songs from different artist you got blank tapes and recorded the songs separately or if it wasn't out yet you had to stay by the radio and record it but be careful to stop it in time so you didn't record the DJ or radio commercial afterwards.

Her response ...

"Why didn't you just create a playlist and download it to your iPod or cell phone?"

...I then started over and explained we didn't have those either. I then found out she doesn't know what a payphone is!

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #65 on: April 18, 2014, 07:55:49 PM »
Nowadays someone would call the police and they would send in a heavily armed swat team.

Yes, sickening world we live in. Someone would be sued at the very least. I want to live in the 50s  :(

YngiweRhoads

• Getbig V
  • Shreddin'
« Reply #66 on: April 18, 2014, 09:03:18 PM »
You know what I got for Christmas? Oh, it was a banner fucking year at the old Bacon family. I got a carton of cigarettes. The old man grabbed me and said, "Hey, smoke up Roger." All right? So go home and cry to your Daddy. Don't cry here, okay?

keanu

• Getbig IV
« Reply #67 on: April 18, 2014, 09:03:48 PM »
  When I was a kid (late 70s - early 80s) it was pretty boring hanging in the house. Cable was limited, and household internet was a distant dream. We played sports and hung out in the neighborhood. You were always looking for something to avoid the boredom. I used to listen to music countdowns and hit the record button on the cassette player. You always hoped the dj would shut the hell up during the intro and not cut too much of the song at the end. It was all about being around people.

During the teen years arcades got big. I loved it in there, and would spend many hours at a time. The parties were great too. We used to pick a big public park like a local ski hill and have a couple of hundred teens drinking, getting stoned and having a good time. These parties were great because I knew at least a hundred people. I remember thinking how amazing the club life would be as I got older. Looking back now no club comes close to those parties.

These days kids have so many options. They don't need to leave the house to be entertained.

YngiweRhoads

• Getbig V
  • Shreddin'
« Reply #68 on: April 18, 2014, 09:06:37 PM »
  When I was a kid (late 70s - early 80s) it was pretty boring hanging in the house. Cable was limited, and household internet was a distant dream. We played sports and hung out in the neighborhood. You were always looking for something to avoid the boredom. I used to listen to music countdowns and hit the record button on the cassette player. You always hoped the dj would shut the hell up during the intro and not cut too much of the song at the end. It was all about being around people.

During the teen years arcades got big. I loved it in there, and would spend many hours at a time. The parties were great too. We used to pick a big public park like a local ski hill and have a couple of hundred teens drinking, getting stoned and having a good time. These parties were great because I knew at least a hundred people. I remember thinking how amazing the club life would be as I got older. Looking back now no club comes close to those parties.

These days kids have so many options. They don't need to leave the house to be entertained.

I grew up at the same time. Did the exact same thing with the cassette player.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #69 on: April 18, 2014, 09:07:05 PM »

Same for 90's kids. The classic Nickelodeon was the fucking BEST. Are You Afraid of the Dark?, Pete and Pete, All That, Clarissa Explains it All. I'm horrified at the garbage kids watch today.

Classic NES, Kick Ball, Bikes, Scooters..... Fucking eh man

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #70 on: April 19, 2014, 01:03:28 AM »
Same for 90's kids. The classic Nickelodeon was the fucking BEST. Are You Afraid of the Dark?, Pete and Pete, All That, Clarissa Explains it All. I'm horrified at the garbage kids watch today.

Classic NES, Kick Ball, Bikes, Scooters..... Fucking eh man

Watched all those shows!  Also Salute your Shorts and Hey Dude.

SamoanIrishman

• Getbig IV
« Reply #71 on: April 19, 2014, 09:29:57 AM »
Watched all those shows!  Also Salute your Shorts and Hey Dude.

My mom would leave the room when Ren and Stimpy came on. Said it was gross..brother and I loved it