Author Topic: Ric Escalante - Having brain surgery - RIP  (Read 10819 times)

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Ric Escalante - Having brain surgery - RIP
« on: April 17, 2014, 09:56:27 PM »
Knowing Ric from a lot of the shows here in Southern California, the message from Ric that he has a brain tumor is not one that I nor many of us thought we would ever hear.  Wow.  So I am wishing Ric the best on his upcoming surgery next week, and on whatever he needs on the road to recovery.  Ric, from working as a rep with Evogen, to winning the 2011 OC Muscle Classic, I have seen for 8+ years at these local events.  So news like this always, you just don't know what to say.

From Chris Albert - "Hey guys, Ric Escalante is having brain surgery next week. Ric won the OC Muscle Classic the year we opened up Metroflex and he was pretty much our first member because Eddie and I gave him a membership for winning. He's always been a real cool guy and was real supportive of Metroflex when it was in its infancy"

From Pete Ciconne - "Our longtime friend and 619 MUSCLE Family member, Ric Escalante has been dealing with a very serious challenge over the past several months. Please send your thoughts and prayers his way"

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Ric Escalante - Having brain surgery next week
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 09:56:46 PM »
From Ric himself...

"Well... I have a brain tumor that I will be getting removed next week. I've known about this for the last 3 months and kept it to myself till I felt necessary to tell everyone. After all the stress and people thinking I simply was going crazy I broke down on April 9th and told my good friend Martin Rosemond. I just didn't want people feeling sorry for me or treating me any different. In hindsight, I wish I did tell people because holding it in for that long really took a toll on me emotionally. At the same time, I was going through the worst breakup ever, I fell in into a deep depression that people picked up on. Its tough. Going to all of these appointments alone, test after test and hearing the results. When the Dr. came in and gave my my options and possible outcomes, I didn't know how to take it and didn't know what to do.

Through this all, I still kept hitting the gym and maintaining my diet. Ever squat 405 with a brain tumor? Its not fun but I persevered. Though I was depressed as hell I still tried to fight. Many times I sat and cried scared out of my fucking mind. The only thought that came racing through my head was, " Am I going to die." After telling my 3 closest friends, Martin, Steve Kuclo and Pete Ciccione, I realized I have the best friends I could ever ask for. I told Pete just last week how afraid I was of dying and he said " You're not going to die, we're not even close to finishing our journey." The 3 friends have stood by my side though my darkest days with their own ways of lifting my spirits.

This is so hard. I can't even describe how it feels with the fact that you might die in 6 days, 6 months or 6 years. I've honestly sat there with an empty bottle of scotch and a loaded gun thinking, " I'm just going to take care of this right now." Only two reasons why I didn't do that, my dogs, and I didn't want to be known as a quitter. I've never given up on anything and certainly wasn't going to start. So I said fuck it...lets just cut me open and take this fucking thing out and let me get back to hitting the gym.

With that in mind, the Dr. has given me odds of either losing my speech, waking up brain dead, losing the ability to walk or simply just dying. Whether you think I am being melodramatic, I don't give a fuck. This shit is fucking scary. So I want to think that people that have meant the most to me in my life especially in the last year and in the last 6 months through the roughest time of my life.

Martin thank you so much for being there at every moment. To hear me cry my heart out in panic. You are a godsend. Pete Ciccone Ifbb Pro, that you so much for the advice you have me ad lifted my spirt. You have been the greatest friend. Steve Kuclo, thank you for the prayers and the up lifting. You have stood by my side though pretty tough times. Derik Farnsworth, thank you for always giving me your open, honest, and candid opinion. Michael Anthony Escalante you have given me the best business advice. I have always looked to to you. Thank you for always being there for advice. Nick Erbe my old partner in crime. I have the funnest times hanging out with you at the shows and simply just working with you. We had a blast.

Hany Rambod / Farinaz Rambod, it was the greatest pleasure working with you. I always thought of you as a father figure. You have taught me so much and were always there to put me in my place when I needed it. Sorry for everything that happened and I'll love you two forever. Narmin Assria Ifbb Pro, you'll always be my little 'sista. Thanks for answering my calls those few times. Sasha Brown, you were always there to put me back to reality and yell at me when I needed to be set straight. Diana Landais, thank you for the help the last few months. You get the award for Outstanding newest friends. Thanks for always checking in on me. Robin, I'll always value our friendship. Geri Kuclo, I was blessed to have Steve in my life and to get his mother to give me motherly advice was so heartfelt. Thank you. Erick Hilton Ross, you've been there through so many ups and downs in my life. Thank you for always being there. Eric Jarvina, one of the best training partners i've had and a great friend. Adam Zmija and Annie Kallen Zmija, thank you for always being there when I needed a boost. Annie, thank you for always checking in on me. Love you to death.

And Christie Marquez, I love you more than I have loved anything in this world. I am sorry for everything that happened. I wish the very best for you at the Olympia. I know you're going to make a huge statement on stage.

Now I can sit here and be cliché and tell you to embrace each day as if it were your last. But when you sit here and actually have to live with the moment that you might die, you really sit there and reflect upon each day and each moment. " Gather ye' rosebuds while ye' may" or the latin sentiment for that, " Carpe Diem". Really truly live your life like its going to be your last day. Whomever you're close to make sure they know it. Thank you for everyone that has been a part of my life. I lived an extraordinary life. Again, I should come out of this standing and rebound right back to me, but I still have that fear in my mind."

el numero uno

• Getbig V
  • Clean your room, bucko.
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 10:12:19 PM »
Best wishes to him, I was in a motorcycle accident when I was 19 and went into brain surgery. It's scary as hell knowing your life as you know it could end after the surgery. Luckily I can do whatever I want, no limitations at all. So I wish him the same luck I had :).

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 10:16:32 PM »
Who is Ric Escalante?
X

Schnauzer

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 10:19:51 PM »
Who is Ric Escalante?

I never heard of him before, this is a pic I Googled

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 10:26:32 PM »
Who is Ric Escalante?

A cool person out here from Southern California, lives in OC, and goes to a lot of events. He used to compete, used to work for Evogen for a while, and just an all around good person that we know out here. Tough to see him go through this.

Especially tonight, as he wrote this an hour ago.

"Holy shit, just had another seizure. — at Kaiser Permanente Irvine Medical Center.  I'm so scared. Can't control my body, blood dripping from my nose. I can hardly see. Holy fuck I'm so scared I got tears in my eyes. God help me. Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to keep, If I shall die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take."

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2014, 10:31:14 PM »
A cool person out here from Southern California, lives in OC, and goes to a lot of events. He used to compete, used to work for Evogen for a while, and just an all around good person that we know out here. Tough to see him go through this.

Especially tonight, as he wrote this an hour ago.

"Holy shit, just had another seizure. — at Kaiser Permanente Irvine Medical Center.  I'm so scared. Can't control my body, blood dripping from my nose. I can hardly see. Holy fuck I'm so scared I got tears in my eyes. God help me. Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to keep, If I shall die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take."

If he recovers, hopefully he will stop all the drug use, which I am sure played a part in all of this.

Unless Flex magazine picks up the story first and states that it was a congenital condition.
X

Schnauzer

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2014, 10:36:06 PM »

If he recovers, hopefully he will stop all the drug use, which I am sure played a part in all of this.

Unless Flex magazine picks up the story first and states that it was a congenital condition.

I don't know Ric Escalante, but I think it is unfair to link his brain tumor to any possible anabolic use in the past. According to cancer.gov in 2014 there were over 23,000 new cases of brain tumors in the US. How many of those 23,000 ever used steroids? I would guess almost none.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2014, 10:37:31 PM »
I don't know Ric Escalante, but I think it is unfair to link his brain tumor to any possible anabolic use in the past. According to cancer.gov in 2014 there were over 23,000 cases of brain tumors in the US.

I was more "joking" around, given Flex Magazines propensity to link ever death to a genetic defect, instead of drug use.
X

Schnauzer

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2014, 10:39:43 PM »

I was more "joking" around, given Flex Magazines propensity to link ever death to a genetic defect, instead of drug use.

Ahh, OK, your sarcasm was lost on me ;D. I guess I am tired from hearing fat, out-of-shape people tell me The Ultimate Warrior died from "steroids" when he clearly had other risk factors that were more prevalent, like high blood pressure.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2014, 10:46:40 PM »
Ahh, OK, your sarcasm was lost on me ;D. I guess I am tired from hearing fat, out-of-shape people tell me The Ultimate Warrior died from "steroids" when he clearly had other risk factors that were more prevalent, like high blood pressure.

But did the steroids contribute or exacerbate the high blood pressure? It could not have helped it, either :/
X

Schnauzer

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2014, 10:54:58 PM »

But did the steroids contribute or exacerbate the high blood pressure? It could not have helped it, either :/

Of course hard to say since we don't know how much or for how long Warrior and Macho Man used. The latest American Heart Association study says steroid use MAY weaken the heart, but the study only used 12 weightlifters, and those 12 were an average age of 40 and had been using half a gram for nine years.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/04/100427171802.htm

A recent Australian study claimed to find that steroids caused fatal heart disease in 24 deaths of men that died and were found to have steroids in their system. Again, sample size too small, and correlation does not imply causation. As the doctor in charge of the study admitted, "Curiously, we don't know a lot about steroid use."

http://www.abc.net.au/local/stories/2014/02/27/3953352.htm

Warrior also had a significant family history of heart disease (according to his Wiki), which is a huge risk factor

Warrior's family has a history of fatal heart attacks; his father died at the age of 57 and a grandfather at 52.

Schnauzer

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2014, 10:58:32 PM »

My comment about Warrior having hypertension is based on his Youtube videos in recent years where his face was constantly beet-red.

This picture was taken the day before his death

Big Chiro Flex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • FREE FOOZLE
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2014, 11:47:01 PM »
It certainly contributed to his cancer if he ever used any growth factors (Slin/GH.)

Schnauzer

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2014, 11:51:23 PM »
It certainly contributed to his cancer if he ever used any growth factors (Slin/GH.)

He didn't have cancer

Big Chiro Flex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • FREE FOOZLE
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2014, 11:53:24 PM »
He didn't have cancer

Oh what was his diagnosis?

My statement is still correct if it was benign.

Schnauzer

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2014, 11:54:58 PM »
Oh what was his diagnosis?

According to The Hollywood Reporter, the Maricopa County Medical Examiner's office determined that Warrior's death at age 54 was from "natural causes." The official cause was "atherosclerotic/arteriosclerotic cardiovascular disease," with no further investigation expected. Atherosclerosis is the buildup of fatty deposits on the walls of arteries, which can lead to a dangerous narrowing of the arteries.

Big Chiro Flex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • FREE FOOZLE
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2014, 11:56:36 PM »

I don't know Ric Escalante, but I think it is unfair to link his brain tumor to any possible anabolic use in the past. According to cancer.gov in 2014 there were over 23,000 new cases of brain tumors in the US. How many of those 23,000 ever used steroids? I would guess almost none.

Growth factors will encourage benign or malignant growth.

Schnauzer

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2014, 11:59:46 PM »

Sorry, I thought you were saying The Ultimate Warrior had cancer. I guess you were referring to Ric Escalante.

Big Chiro Flex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • FREE FOOZLE
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2014, 12:00:33 AM »
Sorry, I thought you were saying The Ultimate Warrior had cancer. I guess you were referring to Ric Escalante.

Don't ever make me quote you again. This is your final warning.

Schnauzer

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2014, 12:05:13 AM »

The interesting thing about all the studies of growth hormone that purportedly show a link to cancer were studies of children that were treated for GH deficiency. Long-term studies found that these children were at an increased risk for colorectal cancer as adults. Outside of these studies there has been NO definite link found between use of GH by adults for anti-aging or bodybuilding and increased cancer risk.

I'm not saying that GH can't cause cancer/tumor growth, but that researchers have no concrete proof.

Big Chiro Flex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • FREE FOOZLE
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2014, 12:12:37 AM »
The interesting thing about all the studies of growth hormone that purportedly show a link to cancer were studies of children that were treated for GH deficiency. Long-term studies found that these children were at an increased risk for colorectal cancer. Outside of these studies there has been NO definite link found between use of GH by adults for anti-aging or bodybuilding and increased cancer risk.

Relying on what little studies currently done is foolish. Surely you can have better critical thinking skills than that.

Study independently what encourages cancer cell proliferation ie what does cancer LIKE.

If I wanted to make a tumor grow, I would put someone on a highly acidic carb heavy diet, and began blasting them with Deca ( carcinogenic via DNA damage), GH, Slin, and an assortment of growth peptides.....hmm what "sport" does this sound like???

visualizeperfection

• Getbig V
  • Getbig sponsored athlete.
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2014, 12:15:35 AM »
Relying on what little studies currently done is foolish. Surely you can have better critical thinking skills than that.

Study independently what encourages cancer cell proliferation ie what does cancer LIKE.

If I wanted to make a tumor grow, I would put someone on a highly acidic carb heavy diet, and began blasting them with Deca ( carcinogenic via DNA damage), GH, Slin, and an assortment of growth peptides.....hmm what "sport" does this sound like???

Fuck, taking a stab in the dark here.

Hows mein aim?

Deacon Jeschin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2014, 03:33:45 AM »
Damn......Good luck to this man with his upcoming surgery.

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2014, 10:22:11 PM »
Well, Rick had surgery this morning - so far, all went well...

From Ric ...

"I had surgery this morning. The seizures were caused by a hemorrhage that was caused by the tumor. They removed the tumor this morning. I've seen so many notifications but my vision is blurry so hard to read them all and I hardly can talk. Thank you so much for the love and support."