Author Topic: So...did you guys enjoy the fight? Werdum vs Browne.  (Read 2240 times)

GRACIE JIU-JITSU

• Getbig IV
  • HAIL SATAN. I'm a bad ass...You're just an ass.
Gracie Rules

Schnauzer

• Getbig V
Re: So...did you guys enjoy the fight? Werdum vs Browne.
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 07:10:00 PM »
I didn't think Browne would win, but I was surprised he gassed out in the first round. If he had somehow won the fight he wouldn't stand a chance against Cain.

Werdum vs. Cain is a much better match-up.

GRACIE JIU-JITSU

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 07:22:08 PM »
I didn't think Browne would win, but I was surprised he gassed out in the first round. If he had somehow won the fight he wouldn't stand a chance against Cain.

Werdum vs. Cain is a much better match-up.

Do you think cain can hang?
Gracie Rules

Schnauzer

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 07:23:39 PM »

On the ground, no. On the feet, yes. I think Cain will push him against the fence most of the fight like he did with JDS.

hardgainerj

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 07:45:10 PM »
hell grind him out like farofa

GRACIE JIU-JITSU

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2014, 08:03:08 PM »
On the ground, no. On the feet, yes. I think Cain will push him against the fence most of the fight like he did with JDS.

hell grind him out like farofa

Yep... that really worked for Fedor.
Gracie Rules

sancho ed

• Getbig III
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2014, 09:28:56 PM »

watch cain vs bigfoot....i hope im wrong and its a decent fight but i see cain dominating both standup and ground through good bjj defense and ground and pound. this fight should be no different

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2014, 06:21:11 AM »
I thought that Browne was going to win. I heard that Werdum broke Browne's ribs early in the fight.

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2014, 06:38:09 AM »
Werdum picked Browne apart and practically held a clinic on the young man.

Prior to the fight, I figured that if it went to the ground, Werdum would dominate, but that if it remained a striking match, Browne would have success.

Some things I noticed throughout the match:

• Werdum's cardio was insane.

Werdum's ground game is as good as it has ever been.

Werdum's striking is good, but could be great if he kept the pace throughout each round.

Browne finally realized that his window of opportunity lies between rounds 1 and 2, by way of his cardio. Once Browne brings his cardio up to speed, I think we will see him come back.

Browne's ground game (as expected by most) needs some work to bring it up to speed with his good striking.

For now, I am excited to see Cain vs Werdum. Both of these fighters have good striking (with the advantage going to Cain imo), whereas the ground advantage would go to Werdum, but Cain is no slouch with his great wrestling and bjj black belt. This should hopefully be an exciting heavyweight match up, but I still would give it to Cain.

"1"

wolfrittner

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2014, 07:52:23 AM »
I was surprised brown ran out of gas so fast! :o :o
Then I was surprised brown made it all 5 rounds!  :o :o
Great fight! Werdum definitely dominated the fight!
 Brown learned a valuable lesson. He's going to shape up big time and destroy next time!

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2014, 08:30:40 AM »
Werdum picked Browne apart and practically held a clinic on the young man.

Prior to the fight, I figured that if it went to the ground, Werdum would dominate, but that if it remained a striking match, Browne would have success.

Some things I noticed throughout the match:

• Werdum's cardio was insane.

Werdum's ground game is as good as it has ever been.

Werdum's striking is good, but could be great if he kept the pace throughout each round.

Browne finally realized that his window of opportunity lies between rounds 1 and 2, by way of his cardio. Once Browne brings his cardio up to speed, I think we will see him come back.

Browne's ground game (as expected by most) needs some work to bring it up to speed with his good striking.

For now, I am excited to see Cain vs Werdum. Both of these fighters have good striking (with the advantage going to Cain imo), whereas the ground advantage would go to Werdum, but Cain is no slouch with his great wrestling and bjj black belt. This should hopefully be an exciting heavyweight match up, but I still would give it to Cain.

"1"

I agree with most of this

I think werdums body kicks had more effect in gassing out browne than his lack of cardio

T

MAXX

• Getbig V
  • MAGA
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2014, 08:32:40 AM »
haha Werdum is a sneaky fuck

AD2100

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2014, 08:46:49 AM »
I agree with most of this

I think werdums body kicks had more effect in gassing out browne than his lack of cardio

Being on his back for the first time in the octagon and struggling for two or three minutes to get back up, is what gassed Travis out, in my opinion.

oldgolds

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2014, 08:48:48 AM »
Both guys got tagged right on the chin many times and didn't even wobble.That surprised me, and Browne was finished/gassed at the end of the first round. He looked like complete crap the rest of the fight. Glad he's Hawaiian and not Haole.

GRACIE JIU-JITSU

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2014, 02:02:31 PM »

watch cain vs bigfoot....i hope im wrong and its a decent fight but i see cain dominating both standup and ground through good bjj defense and ground and pound. this fight should be no different

Watch Werdum vs bigfoot. do you have an idea of how tall Werdum is?
Gracie Rules

Kwon_2

• Getbig V
  • Pretty sure he isn't in Ibiza getting the girls
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2014, 02:04:00 PM »
I was impressed with Werdums new striking, but he won't defeat Cain.

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2014, 02:16:42 PM »
Being on his back for the first time in the octagon and struggling for two or three minutes to get back up, is what gassed Travis out, in my opinion.

I think it's multi-factorial.

Werdum landed very strategic body kicks to the lateral abdomen, which most likely was behind the rib fracture that Browne suffered early during the fight.

Considering how "painful" it can be to inhale fully while having a fractured rib, one can assume that Browne was getting a limited supply of oxygen throughout those 5 rounds.

Werdum, furthermore, laying on top of him and making Browne exhausted only added to Browne's lack of energy.

Leg kicks to the body > Fractured Rib > reduce oxygenation by way of painful inhalation > Browne having to support Werdum's body weight (while Werdum had side control, back and full mount) for extended period = severe exhaustion.

All that taken into account, you have to then realize that Werdum's striking accuracy was on point, which only made matters worse for Browne.

I think Browne will be back and improved in 6-8 months.

"1"

GRACIE JIU-JITSU

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2014, 02:56:50 PM »

Gracie Rules

The Wizard of Truth

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Fallen Angel
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2014, 03:09:49 PM »
Seeing Travis Browne being humiliated by Werdum was joyous. Check out Werdums pisstaking of fedors priest on youtube

Schnauzer

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2014, 05:50:10 PM »

Werdum landed very strategic body kicks to the lateral abdomen, which most likely was behind the rib fracture that Browne suffered early during the fight.

Considering how "painful" it can be to inhale fully while having a fractured rib, one can assume that Browne was getting a limited supply of oxygen throughout those 5 rounds.

Werdum, furthermore, laying on top of him and making Browne exhausted only added to Browne's lack of energy.

Leg kicks to the body > Fractured Rib > reduce oxygenation by way of painful inhalation > Browne having to support Werdum's body weight (while Werdum had side control, back and full mount) for extended period = severe exhaustion.

All that taken into account, you have to then realize that Werdum's striking accuracy was on point, which only made matters worse for Browne.

"1"

I don't think people realize how big Werdum is. He's 6'5" and fights at 232-235 lbs, walking-around weight is 250.

snx

• Getbig IV
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2014, 06:51:05 PM »

"1"

Very good points OMR. Especially about Werdum's BJJ skills and his "smash", which I feel, is underappreciated.

If you haven't rolled before and had someone smash down on you in side control...an especially big and powerful guy who knows how to really smash properly in side control...then you have no idea how tiring it can be to try and shrimp out of it.

You get a big man go knee-on-belly on you, and see how fast you want to gas. It is not pleasant and you quickly realize you're going to have a shitty day at the office.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2014, 07:10:41 PM »
But we agree Werdum can't take Cain? I don't see anyone beating that guy for a while.

AD2100

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2014, 07:24:13 PM »
But we agree Werdum can't take Cain? I don't see anyone beating that guy for a while.

Cain is far from invincible.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2014, 07:30:31 PM »
Cain is far from invincible.

Not so far, minus the the JDS fluke.

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2014, 07:39:14 PM »
Not so far, minus the the JDS fluke.

Cain is a great fighter. He has amazing cardio and speed. His striking is devastating and his ground game (wrestling + bjj) is very impressive.

I think that if the fight goes to the ground, Werdum can pull an upset. His JiuJitsu is world class and his size is a lot to work with.

If the fight remains standing, I give the advantage to Cain.

Even so, any man can be defeated. Any man can land a lucky punch for the knockout (JDS style).

Hopefully, it turns out to be a very entertaining fight. I'd love to see a 5-rounder with serious highlight clips.

"1"