Author Topic: Decline bench - any good???  (Read 7150 times)

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
Re: decline bench???
« Reply #50 on: April 24, 2014, 11:56:24 AM »

I don't think it's that far out donny. It's not one flat muscle. The upper pecs are definitely separate from the lower pecs.
yes correct but how big is it? is it really involved with incline press? and to what degree? if you look at the muscle(s) of the chest the Sternum Region is very small.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #51 on: April 24, 2014, 11:58:34 AM »
For me, pec deck is the worst. No other exercise can make my shoulders soar.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #52 on: April 24, 2014, 12:00:47 PM »
yes correct but how big is it? is it really involved with incline press? and to what degree? if you look at the muscle(s) of the chest the Sternum Region is very small.

Good point, most people probably are wasting their time. :D

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #53 on: April 24, 2014, 12:01:20 PM »
I think you are right, i believe something like this was shown once, atleast more muscle recruitment:

But there seems to be conflicting data,(A lot of interesting study s referenced here):
http://www.strengthandconditioningresearch.com/2013/04/03/bench-press-emg-activity/

But:
The researchers found no significant difference in EMG activity of the clavicular head of the pectoralis major between the incline and decline bench press. This lack of significant finding was in direct contradiction to the findings of Barnett (1995) and may have been related to the smaller difference in inclines used (30 vs. 40 degrees for incline and 15 vs. 18 degrees for decline). The researchers also found that the decline bench press produced significantly higher EMG activity of the lower portion of the sternocostal head of the pectoralis major than the incline bench press.

See practical uses of abstract.
http://www.researchgate.net/publication/232218111_Electromyographical_Activity_of_the_Pectoralis_Muscle_During_Incline_and_Decline_Bench_Presses

I have never been sold on EMG methodology. I think it's a simplistic approach and gives more questions than it purports to answer. Yes, I can see the pectoralis minor being more involved in an incline but it's a relatively minor muscle and it's not isolated to the upper chest. Most bro science thinks there is an upper pec muscle and central pec muscle. No, there is one pec with a minor diagonal muscle called the pectoralis minor going across the the entire pec region.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #54 on: April 24, 2014, 12:02:25 PM »
Like this?

what i like here in getbig is.. Mods like you make Clowns of themselves. There are a few i like but you "Grape ape" really Show how immature you are.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #55 on: April 24, 2014, 12:09:28 PM »
Good point, most people probably are wasting their time. :D
trust me Oldtimer1 is correct . Do any pressing movement now without weight, rest a Hand on your chest.. does your "upper" chest move too? do a fly movement now with one arm..does your whole chest move?

mazrim

• Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: April 24, 2014, 01:05:48 PM »
Decline and guillotine are best of pressing movements for chest.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #57 on: April 24, 2014, 01:25:59 PM »
For advanced guys incline press might be important but for a normal guy not really.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #58 on: April 24, 2014, 01:33:03 PM »
look at the muscles

Simple Simon

« Reply #59 on: April 24, 2014, 01:41:11 PM »
Everyone flex their pec muscles, now where are your hands?

Guaranteed down by your waist hands clasped.
Thats how you get full contraction on your pecs, a decline press is the closest you will get to that contraction.

anyone hold their arms out horizontally in front of them to contract the pec? (mimicking a bench press)

disco_stu

• Getbig V
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #60 on: April 24, 2014, 01:47:51 PM »
Good for ruining your shoulders. HTH

As retarded as upright row.

^^ this.

complete waste of time. decline bench, upright rows and lunges...the top 3 common exercises that offer anything more than the mainstays.

(rear laterals and tricep kickbacks come to mind as less common time wasters)

D.O.U.P

• Getbig III
« Reply #61 on: April 24, 2014, 04:29:48 PM »

Thats how you get full contraction on your pecs, a decline press is the closest you will get to that contraction.

anyone hold their arms out horizontally in front of them to contract the pec? (mimicking a bench press)

Bingo.

Big Chiro Flex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • FREE FOOZLE
« Reply #62 on: April 24, 2014, 04:32:27 PM »

Jokes on you, my hands were on my cock.

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
  • my love for ronnie will never die
« Reply #63 on: April 24, 2014, 04:34:50 PM »
flat dumbel press with moderate weight for 15 reps of mind muscle connection

the best when it comes to soreness in the pectorals after, so it must mean it really works them

sean

• Getbig IV
« Reply #64 on: April 24, 2014, 04:50:58 PM »
Kazemier claimed heavy close grip declines are what gave him his 23" arms.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #65 on: April 24, 2014, 07:09:26 PM »
Pec diagrams

breakmore

• Getbig III
« Reply #66 on: April 25, 2014, 02:08:16 AM »
I have never been sold on EMG methodology. I think it's a simplistic approach and gives more questions than it purports to answer. Yes, I can see the pectoralis minor being more involved in an incline but it's a relatively minor muscle and it's not isolated to the upper chest. Most bro science thinks there is an upper pec muscle and central pec muscle. No, there is one pec with a minor diagonal muscle called the pectoralis minor going across the the entire pec region.

I do not know enough about emg to make a substantial rebuttal. But doesn't the text i showed say exactly that, that the minor ISN'T more involved during an incline.

I do know inner chest cannot be targeted, because a fiber fires at 100% or not at all (Rather the number of fibers) and seeing as the fibers are crossed horizontal the inner chest cannot be trained. B

I always thought the number or the location (even if the chest were 1 muscle not 100% of the muscle will fire when not needed) of the fibers contracting would be different when on a small incline. (Or any other angle) But the most musclular recruitment can indeed be seen with the decline.

So i am definitely not disagreeing with you, i'm saying i don't know for sure and that is a fair point to take.

I do always train my upper chest only on a slight incline, like only 1 step during incline dumbell, because i feel it works the shoulder too much when i increase the incline.