Author Topic: Your good friend is marrying a woman that's gonna lock him down, do you tell him  (Read 6575 times)

Rhomboids

• Getbig III
My boy from college is getting married next month.  To be honest, I can't bring myself to say to him i think it's a mistake because this is not a fucking movie this is life.  He's not gonna have a lightbulb moment and cancel all the wedding planning based on my suspicion and observation.

But I'm 100% sure this is a mistake.  She's the type of woman that, although nice, is all about locking a guy down and having a man as an accessory, like a pair of shoes or handbag.  When they were just dating she practically moved in to his place.  She was there, all the time!  She made herself another limb of his body and now he can't or won't get rid of her. 

I feel bad because i know what his life will look like a few years down the line but sometimes people have to learn by making these mistakes. 

What would you getbiggers do in this situation?

ps he's never really asked if he's doing the right thing or what marriage life is like, thus we've never had that 'talk.' 

Icelord

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
It's not a mistake. Men in 2014 marry women because they're terrified of ending up alone because they know finding a good woman is like finding a good job: It's a rat race and there's too much competition, takes too long, costs too much. They do it in the belief that if they lock the woman down with a ring and a kid, she'l be forced to stick with them. It can backfire and they can lose all their money. But it's a deliberate and calculated choice.

This isn't the 50s when women married men to control them sexually or mooch off their money. Women don't need sex or money from one guy anymore. Making it harder for us to keep them around.

no one

• Getbig V
  • have i hurt your feelings?

its none of your business really.
b

Rhomboids

• Getbig III
It's not a mistake. Men in 2014 marry women because they're terrified of ending up alone because they know finding a good woman is like finding a good job: It's a rat race and there's too much competition, takes too long, costs too much. They do it in the belief that if they lock the woman down with a ring and a kid, she'l be forced to stick with them. It can backfire and they can lose all their money. But it's a deliberate and calculated choice.

This isn't the 50s when women married men to control them sexually or mooch off their money. Women don't need sex or money from one guy anymore. Making it harder for us to keep them around.

Interesting.  You look at it as my friend being the one that is tying her down.  Can't say i ever thought of it that way.  Thing is i think you gotta marry, if you're going to, the best possible girl you can find.  Someone that you find extremely attractive but that's its also a good person and makes you a better person.  I have nothing against this girl personally.  The problem is I know that he is the nice guy that's getting caught in a situation he will regret later.  This girl acted like a wife when they were dating.  When they get married she's gonna become a monster. 

But we'll see i guess. 

Icelord

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
Interesting.  You look at it as my friend being the one that is tying her down.  Can't say i ever thought of it that way.  Thing is i think you gotta marry, if you're going to, the best possible girl you can find.  Someone that you find extremely attractive but that's its also a good person and makes you a better person.  I have nothing against this girl personally.  The problem is I know that he is the nice guy that's getting caught in a situation he will regret later.  This girl acted like a wife when they were dating.  When they get married she's gonna become a monster. 

But we'll see i guess. 
He's a big boy. He'll weather the storm if/when it goes badly. For now, they're in love. Let them be and don't lose sleep over it. He wouldn't stay up at night if you were the one getting married. Sometimes you have the let someone learn for themselves.

And yes, I absolutely see it as his own initiative. Unless he comes and tells you that she proposed to him and was bugging him for months to get married, the default assumption based on my experience is that men are the instigators for it in our time.

Dago_Joe

• Getbig III
  • Better to look good than to feel good: ALWAYS
If your same friend was holding a loaded .44 magnum with hollow point rounds with the barrel to his ear would you no say something?  Same thing going on here only the death will be MUCH MUCH MUCH LONGER PROLONGED AND TORTUROUS.  Save the chaps life, mate.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
its none of your business really.
Exactly. Life. It happens. Move on.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
ps he's never really asked if he's doing the right thing or what marriage life is like, thus we've never had that 'talk.'  
I`m not trying to be a dick here,but why should he ask you.

Right or wrong,nobody wants to hear that they shouldn`t get married if they are in love or think they are in love.

He`ll find out for himself, and if it doesn`t work out,he`ll land on his feet.

It won`t be the first time a marriage didn`t work,and it it does work,it won`t be the first time that a couple surprised the nay sayers.

Rhomboids

• Getbig III
Exactly. Life. It happens. Move on.

Im not gonna be the one responsible for breaking up all the wedding planning and what not BUT i think you guys are wrong here.  Obviously this is not my childhood friend but i really like the dude and he's a good dude.  If someone is making a big mistake, or if you think they are, and i'm being hypocritical here, I think it's your responsibility to say something.  That 'hell learn' bullshit is fucked up.  at least tell the person what they're getting into so when they're there they can't say no one didn't warn them.

But on my defense i've told him plenty of times marriage is bullshit and you'd be a fool to do it.  

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
Got the tshirt, but we can only grow by making mistakes and learning from them.
I hope he will recover.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
Im not gonna be the one responsible for breaking up all the wedding planning and what not BUT i think you guys are wrong here.  Obviously this is not my childhood friend but i really like the dude and he's a good dude.  If someone is making a big mistake, or if you think they are, and i'm being hypocritical here, I think it's your responsibility to say something.  That 'hell learn' bullshit is fucked up.  at least tell the person what they're getting into so when they're there they can't say no one didn't warn them.

But on my defense i've told him plenty of times marriage is bullshit and you'd be a fool to do it.  
Give it 20/mature years. You'll see.  

Purge_WTF

Show him that.

Slapper

• Getbig V
  • Vincit qui se vincit
My boy from college is getting married next month.  To be honest, I can't bring myself to say to him i think it's a mistake because this is not a fucking movie this is life.  He's not gonna have a lightbulb moment and cancel all the wedding planning based on my suspicion and observation.

But I'm 100% sure this is a mistake.  She's the type of woman that, although nice, is all about locking a guy down and having a man as an accessory, like a pair of shoes or handbag.  When they were just dating she practically moved in to his place.  She was there, all the time!  She made herself another limb of his body and now he can't or won't get rid of her. 

I feel bad because i know what his life will look like a few years down the line but sometimes people have to learn by making these mistakes. 

I would tell him.

You would not only be doing him a favor, you would be, inadvertedly, doing her a favor too by forcing the end of a relationship that could, and most likely would, take a wrong turn.

nzmusclemonster

• Getbig V
  • Serenity Now!
Your friend will tell you to go fuck yourself.

Let it be, but make a side bet with your mates on how long it will last.
P

sean

• Getbig IV

But we'll see i guess. 

Speaking from experience, this is exactly what will happen.  Acting as married while dating, Monster afterwards.  Went through all that. Had to catch up with friends while at work either through them visiting or calling there.  Had to hide interactions with my benign family.  Basically, I had to pretend to be under her watchful eye and control or else she would have an epic meltdown like I wouldnt wish on my worst enemy.  It ended ironically well so I can sit now with a smile on my face, basking in the glories of getbig any time I want.  :D

I saw all the warning signs but you dont know what to do when you're 25 and 100% focused on your job.  You cant tell your friend anything without offending him, at least a little.  Testosterone and oxytocin primed by sexual interactions are emboldening his direction.  But you may ask him to really evaluate his thinking and future.  Remind him to put her through just about every possible scenario out there and evaluate her reactions to them.  If she fails more than 7 out of 10, he will have a miserable life ahead.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V

If he hasn't asked, there is no problem and no you shouldn't tell. However the real problem comes should he ask for advice, then you'll be damned if you do and damned if you don't.

phreak

• Getbig V
  • Food is amazing

What qualifies you to speak on this to him?

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
Would love to be this bitches "accessory".

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
  • Rhetoric is the art of ruling the minds of men.

Welcome to real life, that's what women do.  Let go of your friend and live your own life.
V

Bertha Butt

• Getbig III
  • My happy pussy...
Perhaps he is one of those guys that prefer alpha women to submit to; a strong mama figure who tells him what to do and when.

Automation

• Getbig IV
Perhaps he is one of those guys that prefer alpha women to submit to; a strong mama figure who tells him what to do and when.

My brother in law is like that. Grew up in a matriarchal family and has ended up with an older woman who organises his life for him. Some guys just want to be mothered.

I'd say nothing. I said something once to a mate, didn't change a thing except his view of me. Mind you, I did tell him his fiance was a fat carcass and that he could do better.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
My brother in law is like that. Grew up in a matriarchal family and has ended up with an older woman who organises his life for him. Some guys just want to be mothered.

I'd say nothing. I said something once to a mate, didn't change a thing except his view of me. Mind you, I did tell him his fiance was a fat carcass and that he could do better.

This is why I like Booty.  ;D

Kim Jong Bob

• Getbig V
  • KIM JONG IL ORIGINAL BEATIFULL MAN WITH GLASSES

this is so spot especially after your 30s its line people take the first one they get.

Julio Ceasar

• Getbig V
Some guysneed diktators o wifes. Otherwise there wouldent be week guys and strong woman. Its nature. Oposite attract. This dude would probably be nothing and dig him self down deeper and deeper if the wife dosent tell him what o do.

Andthen we have the other type of realtionshio when the man controll the woman litteray to death : )

And then ever realtionsship between these two extremes.

Its life!

Papper

• Getbig V
  • Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do.
If he asked me I would subtly advice a friend against marriage not against being with a girl he likes.