Author Topic: For those who do cardio, what is your approach?  (Read 4390 times)

Simple Simon

Re: For those who do cardio, what is your approach?
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2014, 12:24:15 AM »
Stadium steps 3 times per week.

Balls out, for about 15 min.WORKS.
Careful you dont get arrested.

Skorp1o

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2014, 01:43:31 AM »
On weekends I run to the gym and back, 5k each way. Although sometimes I get lazy and get the tube on way back

For me running is a necessity, I need to know that my body and heart are functional not just a v shape looking athlete who can't move for shit.

Love cycling too, and really think it compelemts leg training.

My motivation is that sometimes I take part in endurance sports so keeping a healthy base is a wise move for me.
S

D.O.U.P

• Getbig III
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2014, 09:52:09 AM »

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2014, 10:08:44 AM »
short and simple...Interval Training. I enjoy longer runs as i did today but 30 mins Hard interval Training really will burn fat AND Train your respiratory System.

wolfrittner

• Getbig IV
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2014, 11:08:15 AM »
Careful you dont get arrested.
hahahahahaha!!

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2014, 11:24:12 AM »
i walk a around 15 minutes before i lift....then after i lift i just run until i have to shower and go to work...on my off days i usually do a 10-20 mile bike ride or surf after my workout

bench

ProudVirgin69

• Getbig V
  • hardcore redneck electric champion
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2014, 12:14:25 PM »
short and simple...Interval Training. I enjoy longer runs as i did today but 30 mins Hard interval Training really will burn fat AND Train your respiratory System.

What kind of interval training?  How do you format it?

denarii

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2014, 12:54:05 PM »
cycle home for 30 mins 4 or 5 times a week and sometimes in morning with city hire bikes

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2014, 03:15:33 PM »
I was a sprinter in high school and college. I also had a lot of military training from basic to advanced. Just said the prior to say I know a little bit about running and cardio.

This for you guys who are in bad shape conditioning wise. The kind of guy who goes into a charity neighborhood 5K and gets beat by chubby soccer moms when you are wearing a tank top to show off your arms.

Do this treadmill workout. Most treadmills show an electronic track that represents 400 meters or 440 yards for a lap. Other treadmills might show .25 as a lap.  

Walk a lap at 3.8 MPH with zero percent elevation or grade.  That's a fast walk. Your second lap you will keep the speed the same but go up to a 1% elevation/grade.  So you did one lap at 0% grade at 3.8MPH and your second lap at 1% grade.  Every lap go up a grade so your third lap is 2% grade. Going up this ladder and see how far you can get. When you really start to feel like you can't go on tough it out to complete the lap. You're not finished. Go down to zero degree elevation and this will be your final lap.  Going down to zero will feel like you are flying effortlessly.

If you can eventually go up the ladder of elevation one lap at a time and get to grade 13 or 15% you will be in decent cardio shape. This should put you at around a 24 minute 5K conditioning. Now you can begin doing real running and ditch the walking program. If bodybuilding is the priority just keep using my ladder program.  

See a doctor to make sure your heart can handle this. If you have any calf tightness/problems you don't want to walk on an incline and compound the problem.  

ProudVirgin69

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2014, 03:30:01 PM »
I was a sprinter in high school and college. I also had a lot of military training from basic to advanced. Just said the prior to say I know a little bit about running and cardio.

This for you guys who are in bad shape conditioning wise. The kind of guy who goes into a charity neighborhood 5K and gets beat by chubby soccer moms when you are wearing a tank top to show off your arms.

Do this treadmill workout. Most treadmills show an electronic track that represents 400 meters or 440 yards for a lap. Other treadmills might show .25 as a lap.  

Walk a lap at 3.8 MPH with zero percent elevation or grade.  That's a fast walk. Your second lap you will keep the speed the same but go up to a 1% elevation/grade.  So you did one lap at 0% grade at 3.8MPH and your second lap at 1% grade.  Every lap go up a grade so your third lap is 2% grade. Going up this ladder and see how far you can get. When you really start to feel like you can't go on tough it out to complete the lap. You're not finished. Go down to zero degree elevation and this will be your final lap.  Going down to zero will feel like you are flying effortlessly.

If you can eventually go up the ladder of elevation one lap at a time and get to grade 13 or 15% you will be in decent cardio shape. This should put you at around a 24 minute 5K conditioning. Now you can begin doing real running and ditch the walking program. If bodybuilding is the priority just keep using my ladder program.  

See a doctor to make sure your heart can handle this. If you have any calf tightness/problems you don't want to walk on an incline and compound the problem.  

I'll try this tonight..... Just curious, but how did you arrive at 3.8mph?

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2014, 05:22:11 PM »
There is no scientific objective reason for the speed. 3.8 MPH is just a fast walk. Above this form can break down after many after laps resulting in a slow jog. I want to keep it a walking program for now. I tried slower and it's just to easy. 4.0 mph and above again can result in a jog when fatigue sets in. So in other words it's arbitrary but I'm sure you will find that it's a fast walk that is in a sweet spot where it's not a fatso slow walk and it's not so fast that after a couple of grade increases your form deteriorates into a semi jog/walk that detracts from the safety of the walking program.  Running will be another program after you get to around 13% to 15% grade incline. 

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2014, 05:37:17 PM »
Fuck heart rate......for fat loss without muscle loss,walk on inclined treadmill varying the height of the incline and speed of the treadmill throughout.

Don`t run,walk at a brisk pace,cool down,brisk again,etc. and do not hold on to the handrails.

30 minutes post-workout,none on leg days.....occasional hour on an off training day.

If you`re training hard and dieting right,you`ll get ripped.

throw in an occasional day or two of HIIT cardio on the eliptical to break the monotony.

If you want to run,go to http://www.runningnerds.com

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
  • Better to die on your feet than on your knees.
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2014, 06:04:49 PM »
Very straightforward...

First thing in the morning, empty stomach, cup of black coffee.

30 min stationary bike, medium tension, above 100rpm.

30 min treadmill, fast walk 3.6 - 4.0 mph, 10% incline.

Do this 5-6x wk eating reduced cal/low carb diet... you'll lose fat/weight easy.

ProudVirgin69

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2014, 06:14:52 PM »
There is no scientific objective reason for the speed. 3.8 MPH is just a fast walk. Above this form can break down after many after laps resulting in a slow jog. I want to keep it a walking program for now. I tried slower and it's just to easy. 4.0 mph and above again can result in a jog when fatigue sets in. So in other words it's arbitrary but I'm sure you will find that it's a fast walk that is in a sweet spot where it's not a fatso slow walk and it's not so fast that after a couple of grade increases your form deteriorates into a semi jog/walk that detracts from the safety of the walking program.  Running will be another program after you get to around 13% to 15% grade incline. 

Holy fuck maybe I have short legs or something, but 3.8 was definitely a jog for me.

I ended up doing this at 3.0 mph, bumping it up every 3 minutes.... made it to 12% before I couldn't maintain form.  I like the idea, but Im gonna have to work on my walking ability (lol) before I can hit 3.8

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2014, 06:35:50 PM »
Holy fuck maybe I have short legs or something, but 3.8 was definitely a jog for me.

I ended up doing this at 3.0 mph, bumping it up every 3 minutes.... made it to 12% before I couldn't maintain form.  I like the idea, but Im gonna have to work on my walking ability (lol) before I can hit 3.8

3.8 MPH was a jog???? Are you working out on a quality treadmill? I notice all good treadmills are calibrated the same. I have also been on cheap treadmills that the speed stated was off. Yes, 3.8 is a fast walk. Next time use the lap feature to signal the grade increase. If your condition is such that 3.0 MPH is challenge work from there. Try to get it to 13% to 15% in your coming cardio workouts. Keep working out till you can do it at 3.8MPH. If not what your athletic attributes allow.

XFACTOR

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2014, 06:39:56 PM »
On weekends I run to the gym and back, 5k each way. Although sometimes I get lazy and get the tube on way back

For me running is a necessity, I need to know that my body and heart are functional not just a v shape looking athlete who can't move for shit.

Love cycling too, and really think it compelemts leg training.

My motivation is that sometimes I take part in endurance sports so keeping a healthy base is a wise move for me.

Everything he just said.

Also playing b-ball again twice a week full court. Being jacked and immobile looks silly. 

ProudVirgin69

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2014, 06:45:57 PM »
3.8 MPH was a jog???? Are you working out on a quality treadmill? I notice all good treadmills are calibrated the same. I have also been on cheap treadmills that the speed stated was off. Yes, 3.8 is a fast walk. Next time use the lap feature to signal the grade increase. If your condition is such that 3.0 MPH is challenge work from there. Try to get it to 13% to 15% in your coming cardio workouts. Keep working out till you can do it at 3.8MPH. If not what your athletic attributes allow.

For the record, my treadmill work is usually 2.2-2.4mph at 18-21% incline for 20-30 minutes.  It was hard at first but I'm fairly comfortable with it now....still gets my heartrate around 160 though.

Anyways, I suspect that this may have shortened my stride, hence my difficulties... something I'll need to work on

Dr.J

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2014, 07:02:11 PM »
Fuck heart rate......for fat loss without muscle loss,walk on inclined treadmill varying the height of the incline and speed of the treadmill throughout.

Don`t run,walk at a brisk pace,cool down,brisk again,etc. and do not hold on to the handrails.

30 minutes post-workout,none on leg days.....occasional hour on an off training day.

If you`re training hard and dieting right,you`ll get ripped.

throw in an occasional day or two of HIIT cardio on the eliptical to break the monotony.

If you want to run,go to http://www.runningnerds.com

Solid advice Wes....thats usually my protocol before a show..minute the sit down bike when im close to my death bed.
Mr. AZ 2003

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2014, 09:15:34 AM »
I do a little of everything, hill sprints, trail runs, elliptical, and just regular jogging.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2014, 09:34:03 AM »
depends what you want really.. I see These treadmill uphill Walking guys all the time. if you really want to work your cardio System you Need to overload it like weight Training. 30 mins hard interval will get your heart in shape and burn fat. cut into your muscle..BS.