Author Topic: Steve Reeves - Measurements - How Strong Was He?  (Read 48702 times)

BigRo

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Mystical Manspreading
Re: How strong was Steve Reeves
« Reply #100 on: February 16, 2015, 10:37:41 AM »
What are you, the first in your family to be whelped without a tail?  Without your little helper's you are more LittleRo than anything else.  You cannot mar the name of Reeves with such a canard and yet to salve your pathetic manlet ego you ejaculate the jism of your self hatred of Reeves legacy all over this thread and elsewhere.

Dammit!  Too many words you cannot comprehend.  Let's make this simple, shall we.

Reeves was his own man. His physique his own.  His life, one of honor and hard work.

You take drugs to build your body. Without it (and we have  seen the proof posted by yourself) you are teensie weensie or at best, normal.   Get off the drugs, kid.   Then get off your high horse.

Or not.

Be well.

lol talk about high horses, love the be well part, very caring  ::) Never mind I was a natural teen world champion and the pictures of me in my twenties I was not even weight lifting or eating a high protein diet.

go have another wank over Steve kid.

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #101 on: February 16, 2015, 10:39:53 AM »
Fortress who posts on here once said that he was told by Bob Kennedy (who knew Reeves personally) that Reeves used steroids. Reeves apparently admitted to Kennedy that he did.
Seems believable. Maybe Fortress can chime in?

Reeves always denied taking and PEDs  he's been very consistent on the subject when asked ,  and why would he lie? It's not like they would have been banned or illegal. The whole concept is nonsense. Honestly I've yet to find anyone offer up anything substantial in the way of proving athletes were using PEDs before Ziegler. And he only learned from the Russians in the early 50s years AFTER Reeves retired and when he tried to replicate what the Russians were doing he didn't have any success and gave up on testosterone injections. And people are trying to say Reeves predates him with success? It defies logic

Show me something concrete that bodybuilders were using test and or PEDs in the 1940s and not vague references I'm talking something of substance. There is NO history of athletes taking test or PEDs until Ziegler in the mid 1950s the earliest and it was ONLY on weight lifters and not bodybuilders , from all the research I've seen steroids didn't make their way out to the west coast bodybuilding scene until around 1960 and that's a full decade after Reeves retired. I'll be more than willing to change my mind on something of substance.

Danjo

• Getbig IV
  • If you're coming on...then come on!
« Reply #102 on: February 16, 2015, 10:44:16 AM »
Reeves always denied taking and PEDs  he's been very consistent on the subject when asked ,  and why would he lie? It's not like they would have been banned or illegal. The whole concept is nonsense. Honestly I've yet to find anyone offer up anything substantial in the way of proving athletes were using PEDs before Ziegler. And he only learned from the Russians in the early 50s years AFTER Reeves retired and when he tried to replicate what the Russians were doing he didn't have any success and gave up on testosterone injections. And people are trying to say Reeves predates him with success? It defies logic

Show me something concrete that bodybuilders were using test and or PEDs in the 1940s and not vague references I'm talking something of substance. There is NO history of athletes taking test or PEDs until Ziegler in the mid 1950s the earliest and it was ONLY on weight lifters and not bodybuilders , from all the research I've seen steroids didn't make their way out to the west coast bodybuilding scene until around 1960 and that's a full decade after Reeves retired. I'll be more than willing to change my mind on something of substance.
The genetically inferior bottom feeders who accuse Reeves of drug use don't care about facts or logic..excellent post
H

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #103 on: February 16, 2015, 10:46:36 AM »
lol talk about high horses, love the be well part, very caring  ::) Never mind I was a natural teen world champion and the pictures of me in my twenties I was not even weight lifting or eating a high protein diet.

go have another wank over Steve kid.

Have it your way, bottle boy.  Your personal  Road to Dialysis is coming because of your chosen lifestyle.  Jaundice might make it your own Yellow Brick Road too.  Or will you just tell the world you're turning Japaneser?   Think of something congenital, quick!  

Pathetic imitation of life is what you have.  To top it off, you're not stupid, just lazy and ignorant.  Typical bodybuilder.  

Mr. MB

• Getbig III
« Reply #104 on: February 16, 2015, 10:47:33 AM »
Bob Kennedy was a kid when Reeves retired from bodybuilding. If he said that, then I don't believe him, because he must have said it after Reeves died, same as everyone else who claimed Reeves used drugs to build his muscles. If Reeves were alive, then he would have sued for slander and defamation of character.

When Reeves was training, he trained with a lot of old timers. Where is any testimony from any of them, guys who knew him in his prime, who say he used drugs?

I am one of those old timers. Trained with Steve for about a year at the Bert Goodrich Gym. Also dined and threw back a few beers with him. (I was under age but loved my beer). No one in the 50s even heard of Test outside of research labs until about '57 when Ciba Labs Dbol showed up. Steve's last comp was 7 years earlier.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
« Reply #105 on: February 16, 2015, 10:47:58 AM »
Steve had a solid 575 bench, 775 dead and 805 squat.

BigRo

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Mystical Manspreading
« Reply #106 on: February 16, 2015, 10:48:57 AM »
you obviously have the same scathing attitude to anyone who takes gear. Tell me about your saintly pure life of powerful manliness that I may emulate it  ::)

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #107 on: February 16, 2015, 10:53:53 AM »
Steve had a solid 575 bench, 775 dead and 805 squat.

Any idea on how far he hit a softball?
Y

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #108 on: February 16, 2015, 10:56:21 AM »
Found this pic, looks like 140 on the inclines.  Which is pretty good.
those were 7 and a halves..... his best lift was a 225 clean and press done from a kneeling position... his teeth and neck were strong too, toying with 200 lber george eiferman.

F

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #109 on: February 16, 2015, 10:56:51 AM »
you obviously have the same scathing attitude to anyone who takes gear. Tell me about your saintly pure life of powerful manliness that I may emulate it  ::)

I think all PEDS should be legal in the United States , they are obviously less dangerous than many over the counter drugs as well as prescribed drugs. I think all sports organizations should allow athletes to use responsibly because there is no such thing as an ' level playing field ' to begin with that's just nature and genetics.

But there was a time when the sport wasn't reliant on drugs and Steve Reeves was in that time. No moral high horse with drugs but people want everyone to be on and it wasn't always the case. 

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #110 on: February 16, 2015, 10:58:30 AM »
 :o he pinch gripped deadlifted a substantial weight was capable of one arm chins.
F

BigRo

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Mystical Manspreading
« Reply #111 on: February 16, 2015, 10:58:54 AM »
I really don't want him to have used, I think its a possibility. Testosterone was first made in 1931 in Germany.

The Scott

• Getbig V
« Reply #112 on: February 16, 2015, 11:00:06 AM »
you obviously have the same scathing attitude to anyone who takes gear. Tell me about your saintly pure life of powerful manliness that I may emulate it  ::)

The truth must hurt you so.  Your feeble attempt at sarcastically dispatching the truth of my words will not suffice except amongst those of a mindset similar to your own, i.e., druggies desperately rationalizing their pathetic usage. 

Not my problem.  As for teaching you how to live, puhleeeeze.  That's what your parents were for.  Run along before I taunt you again.

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #113 on: February 16, 2015, 11:00:17 AM »
List of Steroid type drugs available to 1940's bodybuilders potentially -

Androsterone - (Schering - 1934)
Androfort (Richter - 1936)
Testosterone Propionate - Sterandryl (Roussel - 1936)
Testoviron (British Schering - 1936)
Virormone (Paines & Byrne - 1936)
Perandren (Ciba - 1937)
Neo-Hombreol (Organon - 1937)
Pantestin (Richter - ?? *at least 1941)
Erugon-S (Bayer - ?? *at least 1941)
Methyltestosterone - Metandren (Ciba - 1940)
Perandren Linguets (Ciba - 1940)
Glosso-Sterandryl (Roussel - 1941)
Neo-Hombreol-M (Organon - 1941)
Oreton M (British Schering - 1942)
Oraviron (British Schering - 1942)
Viromone- Oral (Paines & Byrne - 1942)
Testosterone Cypionate
Depo-Testosterone (Upjohn - 1951)

Methyl Testosterone being sold through an ad in Popular Science in 1948 -

http://books.google.com/books?id=fiYDAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA258&dq=methyltestosterone+hudson&hl=en&sa=X&ei=1niVU5r7CcqdyASxo4CAAQ&ved=0CDQQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=methyltestosterone%20hudson&f=false

FDA stops it 1950 or so -

http://archive.nlm.nih.gov/fdanj/bitstream/123456789/13388/3/174001130.txt .

Just offering it up, it's up to you to decide what you believe, personally post WWII is my start point where I start to listen, by then steroids were in use helping the war wounded, had magazine press, etc....

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #114 on: February 16, 2015, 11:00:29 AM »
and once pulled down an entire temple ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ::) ::) ::) ::)
F

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #115 on: February 16, 2015, 11:03:16 AM »

Perandren (Ciba - 1937)
Testosterone Cypionate

http://books.google.com/books?id=fiYDAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA258&dq=methyltestosterone+hudson&hl=en&sa=X&ei=1niVU5r7CcqdyASxo4CAAQ&ved=0CDQQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=methyltestosterone%20hudson&f=false

Just offering it up, it's up to you to decide what you believe, personally post WWII is my start point where I start to listen, by then steroids were in use helping the war wounded, had magazine press, etc....

Has absolutely nothing to do with athletes using PEDs . there is NO history until Ziegler. These references prove nothing. Show me a history of athletes using PEDs before Ziegler in America.

BigRo

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Mystical Manspreading
« Reply #116 on: February 16, 2015, 11:05:13 AM »

The truth must hurt you so.  Your feeble attempt at sarcastically dispatching the truth of my words will not suffice except amongst those of a mindset similar to your own, i.e., druggies desperately rationalizing their pathetic usage. 

Not my problem.  As for teaching you how to live, puhleeeeze.  That's what your parents were for.  Run along before I taunt you again.

funny you think your the slightest bit intimidating with your holy diarrhoea

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #117 on: February 16, 2015, 11:05:49 AM »
all that being said he trained for the mr universe in york pa..... and when he first arrived he looked average in jcg words , but made phenomenal gains in hardly any time ...??????? and won the mr universe... when he made his movies he would take it easy for months at a time than train 4-6 weeks to get in shape for his gladiator epics??????? i like to think he was natural , but who can really say.....??????
F

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #118 on: February 16, 2015, 11:06:08 AM »
It simply proves that there were steroids freely available before Zeigler and Dianabol, what one chooses to believe is up to them.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #119 on: February 16, 2015, 11:10:30 AM »

Perandren (Ciba - 1937)
Testosterone Cypionate

All forms of testosterone. Not one anabolic steroid. Like I said on a previous post the Soviets in the late 50's started gaining ground on the American in Olympic lifting. It was a sudden change. They were the ones injecting large doses of testosterone and the result was an enlarged prostate. Dianabol was made to counteract that problem by making a testosterone pill that was more anabolic and less androgenic.

Reeves was in shape from lifting weights when he was a 15. There are pictures. During world war II he stationed over seas he repped out with 110lbs barbell set he had on his base. He was in fantastic shape every decade of his life until his health failed. So juice heads here trying to justify there own use think he was juicing at 15, during his time in the service and every decade until he became ill in his senior years?

It's complete rationalization. It's the old I look like crap with steroids so everyone else does too. No, there are guys that have a great physique without steroids.

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #120 on: February 16, 2015, 11:11:01 AM »
It simply proves that there were steroids freely available before Zeigler and Dianabol, what one chooses to believe is up to them.

No it doesn't. It doesn't prove anything. The creator of one of the first anabolics in history had NO success directly injecting testosterone into weight training athletes yet you somehow draw the conclusion that others were using and using successfully eons before? defies logic. I want something tangible not vague references I want a proven record of strength athletes using before Ziegler besides the Russians. It can't be done because if it could we wouldn't be having this conversation.   

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #121 on: February 16, 2015, 11:15:39 AM »
all that being said he trained for the mr universe in york pa..... and when he first arrived he looked average in jcg words , but made phenomenal gains in hardly any time ...??????? and won the mr universe... when he made his movies he would take it easy for months at a time than train 4-6 weeks to get in shape for his gladiator epics??????? i like to think he was natural , but who can really say.....??????

He was actually smaller in all of his films , producers wanted him lighter because he dwarfed his fellow actors. I've seen reports where he was down to 190lbs or lighter from when he competed around 215lbs

And the guy had exceptional genetics and muscle memory , you don't think it was possible to snap back into shape? He wasn't exceptionally large for his time either , Park was 225 at the same height. If he was 6'1" and weighed 235-240lbs I would entertain the thought , but 215lbs on a man with many consider to this day the best genetics the sports ever seen? come on

The Scott

• Getbig V
« Reply #122 on: February 16, 2015, 11:16:39 AM »
funny you think your the slightest bit intimidating with your holy diarrhoea

*SNICKER*

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #123 on: February 16, 2015, 11:18:12 AM »
All forms of testosterone. Not one anabolic steroid. Like I said on a previous post the Soviets in the late 50's started gaining ground on the American in Olympic lifting. It was a sudden change. They were the ones injecting large doses of testosterone and the result was an enlarged prostate. Dianabol was made to counteract that problem by making a testosterone pill that was more anabolic and less androgenic.

Reeves was in shape from lifting weights when he was a 15. There are pictures. During world war II he stationed over seas he repped out with 110lbs barbell set he had on his base. He was in fantastic shape every decade of his life until his health failed. So juice head here trying to justify there own use think he was juicing at 15, during his time in the service and every decade until he became ill in his senior years?

It's complete rationalization. It's the old I look like crap with steroids so everyone else does too. No, there are guys that have a great physique without steroids.

A rational well thought out post.

he was gifted from the beginning no drugs needed

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #124 on: February 16, 2015, 11:24:09 AM »
I love how every time Steve is mention there is an argument over his "natural" status.

Nobody knows but Steve.  ;)

8)