Author Topic: Set up job interview for Monday but...  (Read 511 times)

Slapper

• Getbig V
  • Vincit qui se vincit
Set up job interview for Monday but...
« on: May 02, 2014, 08:36:34 PM »
... after reading the company's comments in glassdoor.com, from former and current employees, it seems as though the company pays no overtime (even though they work long hours,) the bonus is minimal and turnover is extremely high. The commute would be great though. Right now it's taking me 1½ hours to get to work (3 hours total) and if I land this gig my commute would go down to 25 minutes.

Pay would be the same although, oddly enough, the HR person said they would beat the bonus by "a lot".

Should I take the gig?

Icelord

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
Re: Set up job interview for Monday but...
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 08:39:29 PM »
Since you mention overtime, I have to assume it isn't a salaried position. Most hourly jobs that aren't trades generally don't pay well and have high turnover as a result. As far as bonuses go, they tend to be in the 10-15% range for managerial and executive positions. So I'm not surprised if they're cheap about it. For instance our hourly employees get $200 a year. The managers get anywhere from $8500-$25000.

Unless you're hard-up for cash, I say decline the opportunity and focus on better-paid positions (which will take you longer to be hired, since they're competitive).

Slapper

• Getbig V
  • Vincit qui se vincit
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2014, 08:40:43 PM »
Since you mention overtime, I have to assume it isn't a salaried position. Most hourly jobs that aren't trades generally don't pay well and have high turnover as a result. As far as bonuses go, they tend to be in the 10-15% range for managerial and executive positions. So I'm not surprised if they're cheap about it. For instance our hourly employees get $200 a year. The managers get anywhere from $8500-$25000.

Unless you're hard-up for cash, I say decline the opportunity and focus on better-paid positions (which will take you longer to be hired, since they're competitive).

No, it is salaried job.

Icelord

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2014, 08:45:14 PM »
No, it is salaried job.
Then there's no such thing as overtime. You're paid what your contract says you're paid. It's a fixed rate.

Maybe it's different in your area but in all the places I've worked, if they say you make $60,000 a year, then that's your wage. You don't get more for working 5 hours past your stipulated hours.

dantelis

• Getbig IV
  • Mesmerizing, isn't it.
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2014, 09:03:15 PM »
Then there's no such thing as overtime. You're paid what your contract says you're paid. It's a fixed rate.

Maybe it's different in your area but in all the places I've worked, if they say you make $60,000 a year, then that's your wage. You don't get more for working 5 hours past your stipulated hours.

Read his post more closely.  He said "the company pays no overtime.".   Assume that is because they are salaried.

Slapper,  what kind of job is it?  Sometimes grass looks greener, as they say.  May be worth it to stay in current job until you find one that is more certain to be better.

Icelord

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2014, 09:04:45 PM »
Read his post more closely.  He said "the company pays no overtime.".   Assume that is because they are salaried.

Slapper,  what kind of job is it?  Sometimes grass looks greener, as they say.  May be worth it to stay in current job until you find one that is more certain to be better.
Yeah but that goes without saying. If you're salaried you shouldn't expect overtime. I guess he could've said it your way for that reason but it's easier just to say it pays X amount per year.