Author Topic: Why Bodybuilders are More Jacked Than Powerlifters  (Read 20910 times)

The Onion

• Getbig III
Re: Why Bodybuilders are More Jacked Than Powerlifters
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2014, 12:18:20 AM »
Most bodybuilders have no real tolerance for pain , and thats why hardly any of them look like this.
And serious endurance athletes are much tougher mentally than both bodybuilders and powerlifters.   :D

I know my comment is off topic but this "hardcore mentality" that a lot of weighlifters try to portray is quite silly imo.

Julio Ceasar

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2014, 01:15:07 AM »
And serious endurance athletes are much tougher mentally than both bodybuilders and powerlifters.   :D

I know my comment is off topic but this "hardcore mentality" that a lot of weighlifters try to portray is quite silly imo.

I have been into endurance sport. When your body is adapted and u are in the zone u can force it till u die without pain. There is no pain, if there is pain, u do it wrong!   

Julio Ceasar

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2014, 01:19:18 AM »
Pain and suffer is for storytellers andmovie producers. there isent such a thing in real sport. The champ go and train, its their everyday job, nothing drastic at all. At competitionday the pusch the limits! If u make money on your body u need to be careful and smart. Pain and gain philosofy is for stupid gymrats who dosent make it.

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2014, 01:26:48 AM »
People gravitate towards what they are good at. If a guy with elite bodybuilding genetics does powerlifting he will be jacked as hell... like a Coleman or Johnnie Jackson or Pudzian. If these guys did bodybuilding drugs with a pure powerlifting program with no thought of gaining symmetrical size they would still look great from a bodybuilding perspective.

Showing powerlifters with shit physiques as a proof of their training not causing muscle gain does not tell the whole story. There is no guarantee these guys would be any more muscular on a typical bodybuilding program.

Sure, there are many things powerlifters do which are not conducive to bodybuilding but don't forget the most important factor which is genetics. People like to compete at whatever they are naturally good at.

Julio Ceasar

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2014, 02:07:18 AM »
People gravitate towards what they are good at. If a guy with elite bodybuilding genetics does powerlifting he will be jacked as hell... like a Coleman or Johnnie Jackson or Pudzian. If these guys did bodybuilding drugs with a pure powerlifting program with no thought of gaining symmetrical size they would still look great from a bodybuilding perspective.

Showing powerlifters with shit physiques as a proof of their training not causing muscle gain does not tell the whole story. There is no guarantee these guys would be any more muscular on a typical bodybuilding program.

Sure, there are many things powerlifters do which are not conducive to bodybuilding but don't forget the most important factor which is genetics. People like to compete at whatever they are naturally good at.

YES YES YES! Some out there know the truth to. Nice to hear!

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2014, 02:29:19 AM »
How did I know in advance that this thread would be right up there with one of the most ignorant in GB history?

Wonder if anyone really wants to know the truth about the differences between bodybuilders and powerlifters and why their looks can easily change from one to the other?

Hmmmm....

Probably not.

Let's leave this to the uninformed ad infinitum "beating a dead horse" in 30 more pages...

Peace.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2014, 02:37:21 AM »

disco_stu

• Getbig V
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2014, 02:47:30 AM »
It's much harder to go in and do a couple of triples with 15 mins rest between sets than it is to do a high volume session with multiple sets of 8-12 reps with short rest periods.

you must be kidding, right?

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2014, 02:59:08 AM »
you must be kidding, right?

It read as sarcasm.

deceiver

• Getbig IV
  • onetimehard appreciation team
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2014, 03:34:19 AM »
Yep, thats exactly what powerlifters normally look like.  ::)

Yes, they do. I am talking about raw IPF powerlifting or weightlifting, not some weird-ass federations with multiply suits, half squats where you don't have to even move with the weight and so on.

I am not "huge" or even "big" and I am not willing to sacrifice my health in order to get there but I am not "fat" by any means as well. In my weight class I am average when it comes to bodyfat.

Meet Lu Xiaojun:

More shredded than Galeniko year round.

Front squats more than Dan Green (also a great physique):

The Onion

• Getbig III
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2014, 04:03:31 AM »
Mr Deceiver, looking at your pics, what exactly are you arguing?   ???

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2014, 08:35:22 PM »
Who Is The Sickest Squatter?

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2014, 08:39:41 PM »
Deadlift Session Bodybuilder vs Strongman vs Powerlifter

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2014, 10:33:36 AM »
Bodybuilder Meets Powerlifter (eng sub)

Ex Coelis

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2014, 10:45:30 AM »
what's the point of even working out if you look like shit?

too many fat dudes walking around in sleeveless t-shirts thinking they're "jacked"

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
  • my love for ronnie will never die
« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2014, 10:48:36 AM »
what's the point of even working out if you look like shit?

too many fat dudes walking around in sleeveless t-shirts thinking they're "jacked"
makes me cringe

HonestBob

• Getbig IV
« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2014, 10:52:44 AM »
I have a real hard time reading training articles by online "gurus" that do more research than train. I'll give it to Schoenfeld that he has more credibility than Contreras who is a pompous ass (pun intended).

Contreras is a bullshitting bitter twat who makes claims like "my gym was so busy with people that we couldn't handle the volume so we have to shut down".

All theory and no practice.

Brad is supposedly a decent guy but success leaves clues and a hypertrophy genius with no muscle mass at all (or ever) leaves me cold.

Plus some of his stuff is pure horseshit such as "rest intervals don't make any difference".

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2014, 12:31:44 PM »
Saw a short docu on the Chinese olympic weightlifting team and they have awesome physiques.
Downside was that the back of one of the dudes looked like a surgeons construction site. Another one when he got his painkillers injected had a nerve hit and fell into a coma...  in short, like the internet, weightlifting is serious business.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #43 on: August 31, 2014, 12:33:45 PM »
Contreras is a bullshitting bitter twat who makes claims like "my gym was so busy with people that we couldn't handle the volume so we have to shut down".

All theory and no practice.

Brad is supposedly a decent guy but success leaves clues and a hypertrophy genius with no muscle mass at all (or ever) leaves me cold.

Plus some of his stuff is pure horseshit such as "rest intervals don't make any difference".

I'm a regular on strengthcoach.com and Mike Boyle called him out (Contreras) on his bullshit by stating how there was no evidence of Brett even owning a gym with the exception of a few people he trained in his garage. It turned into like a 20 page thread with the input of some of the "Who's who" in the strength and conditioning world. Even though it was a somewhat respectful discussion because of the professionalism of the board members, Contreras got exposed BIG TIME.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2014, 12:41:01 PM »
The people are profiting of the word and training principals of "Powerbuilding" which is something powerlifters and the truly strong bodybuilders have been doing for ever. I've always stated "why look strong if you aren't". In short its a combo of powerlifting and strongman with the three main lifts working to a max effort then the auxiliaries being geared more towards bodybuilding. You're starting too see these guys with the look of a bodybuilder but 10x stronger.

Ex Coelis

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: August 31, 2014, 12:47:09 PM »
I've always stated "why look strong if you aren't".

because nobody gives a fuck how much some fat guy can lift except other fat fucks

all that training to end up injured and overweight when you could be healthy and look great?

grow up

HonestBob

• Getbig IV
« Reply #46 on: August 31, 2014, 12:48:59 PM »
I'm a regular on strengthcoach.com and Mike Boyle called him out (Contreras) on his bullshit by stating how there was no evidence of Brett even owning a gym with the exception of a few people he trained in his garage. It turned into like a 20 page thread with the input of some of the "Who's who" in the strength and conditioning world. Even though it was a somewhat respectful discussion because of the professionalism of the board members, Contreras got exposed BIG TIME.

Is that accessible to non members?  I've a friend who would share that to a gazzilion people if true.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #47 on: August 31, 2014, 12:56:53 PM »
because nobody gives a fuck how much some fat guy can lift except other fat fucks

all that training to end up injured and overweight when you could be healthy and look great?

grow up

What makes you think you have to overweight to have greater strength? In this scenario I'm not speaking of training to be a competitive powerlifter or strongman I'm stating that training this will have a distinct positive change in your physique as far as thickness and density. I've training like this for almost 40 years and I've only been injured once 12 years ago and was only out for a few days. Even at 52 I still train the same way.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #48 on: August 31, 2014, 01:01:45 PM »
Is that accessible to non members?  I've a friend who would share that to a gazzilion people if true.

It's a pay site but well worth it. I've been a member for about 8-9 years. It's a professional site for S&C coaches. Every one is pretty respectful, no cursing, etc. Wealth of knowledge on there.

hardgainerj

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: August 31, 2014, 01:03:39 PM »
dehydration & starvation/ thread