Author Topic: Why Bodybuilders are More Jacked Than Powerlifters  (Read 20941 times)

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
Why Bodybuilders are More Jacked Than Powerlifters
« on: May 05, 2014, 12:39:56 PM »
http://www.t-nation.com/training/why-bodybuilders-are-more-jacked-than-powerlifters

Yes, I know that it is in T-Nation ( ::) oh brother  ::) ), but this was a pretty good article by a couple of guys that know a few things. And unlike most T-Nation articles, there was not one mention of their overpriced supplements.

MAXX

• Getbig V
  • MAGA
Re: Why Bodybuilders are More Jacked Than Powerlifters
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, 12:54:21 PM »
working the muscle specifically in different rep ranges.

vs

moving the weight to position with every muscle you can mobilize to generate the most force

or in short

mind-muscle Vs. moving weight

not rocket science

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
  • my love for ronnie will never die
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 12:58:18 PM »
powerlifters: extreme ego lifting pumkin heads

bodybuilders: sculptors of their own bodies

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2014, 01:16:25 PM »
bodybuilders....allergic to working hard and enjoy posing for dudes...powerlifters enjoy competing and food
L

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2014, 01:25:24 PM »
Very true....hard to train heavy without getting nicked up. I think its why a lot of raw lifters are now obsessed with dynamic warm ups, mobility and other prehab/rehab.....

Bodybuilders incorporate a wide variety into their workouts and often don't have a "set plan" when they enter the gym. Many have a general idea about what they want to accomplish, but typically leave room for spontaneity based on biofeedback. This variety and loose-structure could theoretically lead to greater muscle growth over time due to decreased likelihood of injury.

The lifter who can come to the gym week in, week out for many years and perform productive, pain-free workouts will accumulate more lean mass than the lifter who is always banged up, training through pain, and suffering from tears and ruptures.

Since absolute strength is paramount to a powerlifter, many times a powerlifter will ignore glaring biofeedback telling them to back off. For example, perhaps the pecs feel a bit strained on bench day, or the low back feels dodgy on deadlift day. The powerlifter will usually stick to the plan and push through it, while the bodybuilder will work around it.

Since the bodybuilder thinks in terms of "working muscles" instead of building lifts, often he'll listen to the body's warning signals and find a movement that doesn't set off red flags. Perhaps he finds that he's able to perform high rep incline presses with no pain to substitute for the bench press, and high rep back extensions and chest supported rows to substitute for deadlifts
L

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2014, 01:25:52 PM »
Nice to see that they still recycle the same articles every few years in magazines. In the year 2525 (if man is still alive....), we can still probably look forward to the shocking revelation that different training methods produce slightly difference results, and how there's an arm program to add an inch to your biceps in 24 hours or some such  ::)  :).

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2014, 01:30:15 PM »
Yeah but atleast on T Nation you can skip 30 pages of 'special Reports' where Jay Cutler and a team of muscle tech scientists are hunched over a test tube creating the next big supp.
L

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2014, 01:31:39 PM »
I hate to say it (need a comprehensive no homo disclaimer) but... Powerlifters look much better than bodybuilders IMO. They look like I want to look at least.

Simple Simon

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2014, 01:33:02 PM »
I hate to say it (need a comprehensive no homo disclaimer) but... Powerlifters look much better than bodybuilders IMO. They look like I want to look at least.

Yep, thats exactly what powerlifters normally look like.  ::)

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2014, 01:33:16 PM »
For what it's worth, the largest powerlifters over the years tended to work across a ton of different rep brackets. Kazmaier, Young, etc.... all had a tremendous amount of hypertrophy work in their programs. Really more of a power bodybuilding approach for a significant part of the year in lifters past.

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2014, 01:34:19 PM »
i hate these discussions with the typical exceptions being posted etc

fuck you ass holes

pl look like shit

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • also shopped my pic you tried to make it subtle
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2014, 01:39:02 PM »
Haha, yes "T(::))-Nation(::))" is a pretty ::) ::) ::) name.

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2014, 01:46:58 PM »
Pussy pulling...

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2014, 01:53:45 PM »
article about bulking

http://www.t-nation.com/diet-fat-loss/bulking-diet-delusion

it's another pointless article

it still pushes the caloric surplus story so what are they saying

thebrink

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2014, 05:54:58 PM »

heavy compound lifting of peace ,

Most bodybuilders have no real tolerance for pain , and thats why hardly any of them look like this.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2014, 06:40:00 PM »
heavy compound lifting of peace ,

Most bodybuilders have no real tolerance for pain , and thats why hardly any of them look like this.

Yeah!

The best looking power lifters look 10x better than the best looking bodybuilders.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2014, 06:56:33 PM »
http://www.t-nation.com/training/why-bodybuilders-are-more-jacked-than-powerlifters

Yes, I know that it is in T-Nation ( ::) oh brother  ::) ), but this was a pretty good article by a couple of guys that know a few things. And unlike most T-Nation articles, there was not one mention of their overpriced supplements.

I have a real hard time reading training articles by online "gurus" that do more research than train. I'll give it to Schoenfeld that he has more credibility than Contreras who is a pompous ass (pun intended).

Mawse

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2014, 07:05:27 PM »
It's much harder to go in and do a couple of triples with 15 mins rest between sets than it is to do a high volume session with multiple sets of 8-12 reps with short rest periods.

Bodybuilders simply don't know what it means to train hard.

Dante has always said powerlifters have superior ponderal density to bodybuilders (in fact only Sumo Wrestlers carry more lean muscle) and super heavyweight powerlifter Mike Miller proved this when he dieted down.

Boom! Lights out.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2014, 07:06:32 PM »
It's much harder to go in and do a couple of triples with 15 mins rest between sets than it is to do a high volume session with multiple sets of 8-12 reps with short rest periods.

Dante has always said powerlifters have superior ponderal density to bodybuilders (in fact only Sumo Wrestlers carry more lean muscle) and super heavyweight powerlifter Mike Miller proved this when he dieted down.

Boom! Lights out.

What's a triple?

thebrink

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2014, 07:39:38 PM »

ProudVirgin69

• Getbig V
  • hardcore redneck electric champion
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2014, 08:06:41 PM »

Boom! Lights out.

Lol wtf that's one of the worst physiques I've ever seen, considering the guy trains hard & juices

hardgainerj

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2014, 08:12:28 PM »

BBr go on and on their numbers on the leg press ::)

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V

ProudVirgin69

• Getbig V
  • hardcore redneck electric champion
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2014, 08:20:15 PM »
BBr go on and on their numbers on the leg press ::)

Powerlifter detected

thebrink

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2014, 08:20:42 PM »

You see this is why you're getting such shit results even while dosing, you prolly dont lift heavy at all and haven't got the faintest god damn idea about mental intensity and the desire to win. yYou're better suited for HIT, the lazy bodybuilders bread and butter.