Author Topic: Renting vs. Buying  (Read 3625 times)

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
Renting vs. Buying
« on: May 05, 2014, 01:34:06 PM »
no, I'm not talking about prostitutes vs. girlfriends.

I'm in a situation where I'm selling my current place.  Want something a little bigger, but I am finding shit out there.  People asking way too much money for shit homes and the crappy part is all of the asians and indians moving to socal are just buying anything and driving prices up.
There was a time when house prices were decent that owning outweighed renting.  But now I'm seeing homes for rent  that are 10 times nicer than what I can get with an equivalent mortgage.
The only advantage I can see to owning again is the tax deduction on interest, but then again why the fuck should I pay interest to a bank and get nothing else in return? Also the drawback of renting is that you don't know when the home owner sells and kicks you out.  This just happened to a buddy of mine.

What says the economic council of getbig on renting vs. buying?

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
  • my love for ronnie will never die
Re: Renting vs. Buying
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, 01:34:59 PM »
renting a house is for pumpkin heads

might as well use money to wipe your ass

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 01:52:43 PM »
Ask yourself this; what would a Hebrew do?

(Not the real Hebrews like Wiggs).

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2014, 01:54:02 PM »
Would love to be that landlord.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2014, 01:54:09 PM »
renting a house is for pumpkin heads

might as well use money to wipe your ass

That is the old school thought, but with high housing prices.  I can pay the same amount per month mortgage vs. rent but the house I can rent is a palace compared to anything I can buy on the market now.

At least I'd be wiping my ass in a kick ass house, huge pool, full privacy, vs. some cookie cutter home with neighbors pressed up on me.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2014, 01:55:09 PM »
That is the old school thought, but with high housing prices.  I can pay the same amount per month mortgage vs. rent but the house I can rent is a palace compared to anything I can buy on the market now.

At least I'd be wiping my ass in a kick ass house, huge pool, full privacy, vs. some cookie cutter home with neighbors pressed up on me.

Are you in a large city?

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2014, 01:55:37 PM »

good luck maintaining your lifestyle at retirement age with reduced income

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2014, 01:56:04 PM »

Buy a foreclosure, do the work yourself, profit.

no one

• Getbig V
  • have i hurt your feelings?
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2014, 01:56:22 PM »

are you retarded?

holy fuck ive read some stupid shit on this board but this is another level.

b

jwb

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2014, 02:04:36 PM »
Buying a house if the price is more than 20 times the yearly rent is crazy.

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2014, 02:05:56 PM »
Buying a house if the price is more than 20 times the yearly rent is crazy.

oh yeah?

what are you gonna do after you rent for 20 years, are 45-50 and still dont have your own house

::)

jwb

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2014, 02:09:58 PM »
oh yeah?

what are you gonna do after you rent for 20 years, are 45-50 and still dont have your own house

::)
Who says we don't own a house? We just didn't buy one that was more than a price:rent ratio of 20.

epic_alien

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2014, 04:50:34 PM »
buying is of course smarter, cause you can rent it out and have someone else pay your bills. But whats sad is you really never own anything in the usa. you have to pay property taxes which never ever go away, and if you miss payments, oopps they take your house ::)

scottt

• Getbig III
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2014, 05:02:12 PM »
Rent for now.

the trainer

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2014, 05:07:29 PM »
Buy

Rent

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2014, 05:18:43 PM »
Real estate prices in California are and have been and always be ridiculous.  There is nothing wrong with renting in that situation until you can find something you are willing to buy.  If you can get into a foreclosure and can work with putting in some time and $ to fix it up, is a good option.  Short sales are good too, but there is no guarantee to close and it takes forever to do so.  I am short sale and foreclosure certified so I know first hand the crappy system.  In Atlanta, prices are more reasonable when it comes to rent v. buy.

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2014, 05:23:58 PM »
Buy a foreclosure, do the work yourself, profit.
do dis right here
A

YngiweRhoads

• Getbig V
  • Shreddin'
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2014, 05:24:28 PM »

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
  • Better to die on your feet than on your knees.
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2014, 05:24:32 PM »
Rent right now.  Save as much cash as possible.  Buy later.

Housing prices are too expensive right now, especially in bubble cities like LA, San Diego, NY, Las Vegas, Miami.

Interest rates MUST go up.  That will let all the air out of the housing market.

What I would do is take the majority of the cash from the sale and put it into gold an silver.  It's very suppressed right now and most people hate it.  The US dollar is losing value rapidly.

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2014, 05:25:21 PM »
buying is of course smarter, cause you can rent it out and have someone else pay your bills. But whats sad is you really never own anything in the usa. you have to pay property taxes which never ever go away, and if you miss payments, oopps they take your house ::)
property tax is usually one months worth of rent cost wise 600 or so
A

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2014, 05:26:52 PM »
im tellin ya theres ALOT of people looking to rent houses right now more than usuall

not sure what this means

means either people cant pay there bills

shortage of affordable appartments ect ect
A

YngiweRhoads

• Getbig V
  • Shreddin'
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2014, 05:29:11 PM »
im tellin ya theres ALOT of people looking to rent houses right now more than usuall

not sure what this means

means either people cant pay there bills

shortage of affordable appartments ect ect

Shortage of places to rent here as well.

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2014, 05:32:20 PM »
Shortage of places to rent here as well.
people here are always askin if anythings vacant and im like 90 percent no everytime, usually theres vacancies but havent worked them up, cant hire anyone people ask too much money, it is really a nation of pussies that feel like they deserve 10 bucks an hour to do some half assed painting, not on my watch. ill pay 7 bucks an hour for a half assed job all day long though
A

Hulkster

• Getbig V
  • ND ran away from me
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2014, 05:39:31 PM »
buying is always better.

eg. we are looking at moving in my area and we are going to make about 90 thousand dollars when we sell it because our house value has gone up so much in the last 7 years.

granted, so has the cost of the houses we are looking at. but if we were renting we would have nothing.

and yes, later in life if you are renting you are still paying a fortune in rent when you retire. if you owned the house should have been paid off by then.
Flower Boy Ran Away

YngiweRhoads

• Getbig V
  • Shreddin'
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2014, 05:55:34 PM »
buying is always better.

eg. we are looking at moving in my area and we are going to make about 90 thousand dollars when we sell it because our house value has gone up so much in the last 7 years.

granted, so has the cost of the houses we are looking at. but if we were renting we would have nothing.

and yes, later in life if you are renting you are still paying a fortune in rent when you retire. if you owned the house should have been paid off by then.

Invest the amount you save by renting over the years and you'll be fine.