Author Topic: How did you deal with a parent dying?  (Read 3993 times)

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
Re: How did you deal with a parent dying?
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2014, 04:06:45 PM »
we are prisoners forever, threads like this make me insane and sad

theres only one way out , to get as smart as eric dollard to build a spaceshit to meet our "ancestors" ins some other galaxy or something in 100 years

A

wolfrittner

• Getbig IV
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2014, 06:23:05 PM »
Im sorry to hear this. Its one of the hardest things in life to deal with.
I hope your memories will be good ones and cherish them.

DanielPaul

• Getbig IV
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2014, 06:28:47 PM »
Time is the only thing that helps, sorry for your loss

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2014, 06:33:32 PM »
In time I hope when you think of your parent it will bring fond memories instead of sadness. I am a man of faith and faith tells us that death comes to everyone but it's not the end. Remember in the end that your loving parent wouldn't want to see you destroyed over their passing. It would be the last thing they want. Just being there at their end is the greatest gift you can give them. When it's your time in a perfect world your children will be at your side.

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2014, 08:49:55 PM »
I am truly sorry.

Cling to that which you love. And to those you cherish.

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
  • "Check my soundscan, Check my instagram"
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2014, 08:57:44 PM »
Sorry to hear that Army of one,

be strong my friend.

AbrahamG

• Getbig V
  • Team Pfizer
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2014, 09:31:12 PM »
Currently staying with a parent who has less than 48 hours to live, struggling to deal with it, hardest thing I've ever done.

1st, I am sorry to hear what you are going through.  Be strong and do everything in your power to bring your mom or dad comfort.  Share your feelings so long as they are positive.  I've lost both parents and no doubt it is rough.  I was fortunate enough to have a great relationship with both parents and even though they knew how I felt, I made sure they heard it during their last days.  It will always hurt on some level and will never be the same, but it does get better with time. 

booty

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2014, 10:11:45 PM »
Currently staying with a parent who has less than 48 hours to live, struggling to deal with it, hardest thing I've ever done.
I am so sorry to read this. Hugs

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2014, 10:18:35 PM »
Hey Army of One, sorry to hear. Stay strong. I am sure that parent is thrilled to have a great son by his or her side.
X

sync pulse

• Getbig V
  • Only be sure always to call it please, 'research'
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2014, 10:23:02 PM »
Was your parent raised a Roman Catholic?  

Not "he/she hasn't been to Church in years": Not "those pedophiles!?": Not "he/she married a Southern Baptist":

Was your parent raised a Roman Catholic?  If so, while he/she is still conscious and cognizant, get him/her a priest.

You will be glad that you did.

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2014, 10:42:24 PM »

My thoughts are with you bro!  Can't imagine its easy.  Wishing you and your family well.

galain

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2014, 10:44:19 PM »
Sorry mate - it's a shitty sad situation.

When my father died, what helped me most was the thought that we are all supposed to die. His turn came a little too quickly, but it was always going to happen, like it will for us all. That perspective helped me a lot to let him go.

I was there at the very end holding his hand. It's was horrible but beautiful as well. I'm very grateful I was able to be there when he passed. You may feel differently, but that helped me a lot to move on afterward.

All the best mate.

Obvious Gimmick

• Getbig V
  • I'd hit it
« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2014, 11:35:22 PM »
Sorry to read this. Yet, it's a fate that awaits us all
Stay strong

Ask not for whom the bell tolls...

Bertha Butt

• Getbig III
  • My happy pussy...
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2014, 12:46:51 AM »

Sorry to hear this. I assume it is of illness; you could find some comfort in the fact that any suffering will finally stop.

My dad died a few years ago of cancer. We were not close, but to see him suffering physically and mentally was painful. It was a relief for all of us when he died.

Julio Ceasar

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2014, 12:57:01 AM »
My father is soon dying in cancer...the last thing he said on the phone yesterday was "I dont wanne see u anymore" so lets se whats happen from now on : )

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2014, 01:09:53 AM »
I will speak from a couple of perspectives on this crisis. I am an old person who will likely die sooner rather than later. From this perspective, I want my kids to let me go when that time comes. I will hopefully live on in their memory in some positive way.

From the perspective of a person who both of his parents passed many years ago, I can only offer this wisdom; losing one's parent(s) is never an easy passage, but it is most often inevitable that they will die before you will. My mom who figured largely in my life is still in my thoughts everyday. Unfortunately, my father who played a small part in my upbringing is not so much a feature. However, my stepdad and his infinite wisdom remains with me daily.

You are in crisis/emotional mode my friend. I feel for you. It is never easy to lose someone who influenced you so strongly in your life as a parent did. As much as it hurts right now to think of their passing, that hurt will get better with time.

Please accept my deepest sympathy and understanding though this most difficult passage.

Shakespeare

• Getbig II
  • Thou Doest Protest Too Much
« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2014, 02:35:28 AM »
Sorry to hear, army of the solo variety.

My sick heart shows
That I must yield my body to the earth,
And, by my fall, the conquest to my foe.
Thus yields the cedar to the axe's edge,
Whose arms gave shelter to the princely eagle;
Under whose shade the ramping lion slept:
Whose top-branch overpeer'd Jove's spreading tree,
And kept low shrubs from winter's powerful wind.

In that sleep of death what dreams may come.

Pet shop boys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2014, 06:03:40 AM »
take pics and video, you'll cherish them forever.

It might work for some, but I wouldn't do that , My dad die from a very aggressive cancer friends would often tell me to take pics of him, knowing that soon he would no longer be with us....

but I rather remember him like he was when he was healthy.... so I didnt take a single pic and I'm glad I didn't ....again, it might work for some but I Don't like to remember a loved one with  pics or videos of them looking so fragile on their way to die....

WoooSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Pet shop boys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2014, 06:09:17 AM »

I'm sorry to hear that ...Ive been in that same situation ...

Just try to remain calm and positive around the person in question.... let that person know that everything is and will be all right after their passing , cry if you need to cry (not in front of the dying parent)   

Something That helped me a lot was to accept the most simple fact about life, no matter how much you love need someone,  people die.

Is a chapter of your life that comes to an end but your life keeps going.

WoooSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH H

Ronnie Rep

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #45 on: May 06, 2014, 08:14:32 AM »
I have lost both parents and a brother, very difficult. The saving grace for me was that I had my wife and kids there for support. Also I was kept very busy with taking care of funeral arrangements and I was also running a business. Staying busy for me was what always kept me going. Being with your parent in the last days of their lives is the most important thing of all. Sorry to hear what you are going through. Stay strong.

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • I ate an entire box of popsicles the day prior
« Reply #46 on: May 06, 2014, 08:31:40 AM »
The best you can do is speak with them.

Reminisce about the best times in life together and express your true emotions.

Let them know how much you care for them and how much they've meant in your life.

Thank them for their hard work and overall efforts in your upbringing.

Ask them to tell you where they think you can improve.

Allow them to get everything off their chest that has haunted them throughout life, regardless of it involving you or not.

Listen, listen and listen some more.

Make sure to make them laugh and laugh with them.

Last, but not least, say I love you and hold their hands during the final moments.

"1"

Great post

snx

• Getbig IV
« Reply #47 on: May 06, 2014, 08:43:24 AM »
I'm very curious as to what awaits me when/if this happens to me.

I'm not very close to either of my parents. I haven't spoken to dad in a year, and for mom, it's been about 6 months. I could go years without speaking to either of them if they didn't reach out and have on several occasions.

With mom, I loved her, but she changed a lot. She's not the mom who raised me, and I prefer to remember her in that way than as she is today.

With dad, he was abusive and controlling and manipulative throughout my early childhood, so I prefer not to really remember him much. We drifted apart starting in high school and never really recovered. I tried a couple of times to strike up a relationship of value, but he's really not open to talking about himself or his feelings, so there isn't much there for me. He doesn't even know when my kids birthdays are, and he and his wife (my stepmom) refuse to speak to my wife. So there's not a lot of good there worth saving. He's tried too, but neither of us seem to find common ground to connect. He's closer to my brother, which does give me peace. At least he has someone.

That said, they both made me. I wonder if I will simply watch them pass with a curiosity and general detachment, as I've watched them age these past few years. Or will my heart break for what could have been. It's possible I've already gone through that heart break phase, and there isn't much left in me for them. I won't know until I know, I suppose.

For AOO, I wish you the best my friend. I see you care deeply about your parent, and saying good-bye to someone you love forever is harder than words can describe. Let them say their peace and tell them you love them. Be with them to reassure them they will live on in you, as they drift into whatever happens next. Give them of your strength to embolden them to confront whatever may come. Give them peace by helping them know they made your life richer for being a part of it.

SamoanIrishman

• Getbig IV
  • Why stress the little people..
« Reply #48 on: May 06, 2014, 09:04:40 AM »
The best you can do is speak with them.

Reminisce about the best times in life together and express your true emotions.

Let them know how much you care for them and how much they've meant in your life.

Thank them for their hard work and overall efforts in your upbringing.

Ask them to tell you where they think you can improve.

Allow them to get everything off their chest that has haunted them throughout life, regardless of it involving you or not.

Listen, listen and listen some more.

Make sure to make them laugh and laugh with them.

Last, but not least, say I love you and hold their hands during the final moments.

"1"

This. And grieve, its important that you allow yourself to do so. Sorry to hear this man, my condolences.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
« Reply #49 on: May 06, 2014, 09:28:03 AM »
My best friends have each lost a parent.  My best friend lost his mother a few years back.  Very sweet woman that I had the pleasure of knowing for many, many years and was even given the honor of being a pall  bearer at her funeral.  We were there in her hospital room while she took her last breathes here on earth.  Family held her hand, sung her hymns, we prayed together and just continued to reassure her and love on her.  

My grandmother passed just over a week ago.  We spent the previous two weeks easing her into eternity the best we were able to.  Spent a lot of time at both the hospital and hospice center before she passed.  She is a wonderful, loving woman and we did our best to love on her, talk to her, pray for her, play music for her up until the very end of her life her with us.  At the very end her alzheimer's and leukemia had ravaged her body and mind, but she still had precious moments in which we knew she was listening.  

As a man of faith the Lord blessed me with tremendous peace and reassurance during that time.  I view death differently than others (and I'll save that topic for another thread), but if you are a man of faith I suggest resting firmly on that foundation.  

God Bless!
MOS