Author Topic: Ever Considered Quitting Bodybuilding and Taking Up Another Sport?  (Read 3338 times)

Skorp1o

• Getbig V
Not too long ago I quit weights (mostly) all together and took up triathlons, did a whole season of racing (4 races) plus one 10k running race. Lost a lot of weight, but had a blast in the process, the open water swim start is awesome.

Im currently back in the BB game, trying to get big and lean again for the summer, but once August 30th hits, I might consider switching again. I feel one day I might make the switch fully and never return to the iron game.

Anyone that serious about "dem gainz" all year round or do any of you have a love for other disciplines? I know there's a few MMA fighters here like Donny "The Skull Crusher".
S

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
  • my love for ronnie will never die
Re: Ever Considered Quitting Bodybuilding and Taking Up Another Sport?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 06:53:37 AM »
you are kidding yourself if you think you can leave bb behind

it's a mental disease

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2014, 06:55:21 AM »
We don't call it "bodybuilding" around these parts. It's called "liftin' weights".

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2014, 06:55:25 AM »
Most pro bodybuilders actually have world-class athleticism.  Phil Heath could easily be a reserve in the NBA.  A few of the 1990s pros had legit NFL talent and ran sub 4.19 times in high school.  Most had undiagnosed knee injuries and were overtaken by the love of the iron.   And of course, the pro BBing paydays make it worth it also.

Pet shop boys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2014, 07:11:01 AM »
The other sport after quitting bodybuilding is having your own Youtube channel ....

Bodybuilders always have something important to say on their phone cam after done competing .

WoooSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

da_vinci

• Getbig V
  • Cry me a river
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2014, 07:15:32 AM »
You mean - thinking about changing the mental dissease?

I'm not sure I'd be able to...unless some serious health consequences or other life circumstances that'd force me to quit..

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2014, 07:15:48 AM »
The other sport after quitting bodybuilding is having your own Youtube channel ....

Bodybuilders always have something important to say on their phone cam after done competing .

WoooSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I am not a bodybuilder, I "train".  ::)

When I am done with the weights, I will take up again my one true love: long distance rifle. I still dabble in it, but I want to be one of those old grey fucks at the range that spends all day pressing rounds and shooting them into a single hole at 600m.

Barrel lathe FTW!

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2014, 08:57:28 AM »
We don't call it "bodybuilding" around these parts. It's called "liftin' weights".

This^^^Bodybuilding is for the fruitcakes...

the trainer

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2014, 09:09:42 AM »
Not too long ago I quit weights (mostly) all together and took up triathlons, did a whole season of racing (4 races) plus one 10k running race. Lost a lot of weight, but had a blast in the process, the open water swim start is awesome.

Im currently back in the BB game, trying to get big and lean again for the summer, but once August 30th hits, I might consider switching again. I feel one day I might make the switch fully and never return to the iron game.

Anyone that serious about "dem gainz" all year round or do any of you have a love for other disciplines? I know there's a few MMA fighters here like Donny "The Skull Crusher".

I do mma every now and then when the vibe hits me, the funny thing is when I go into the class and  they are doing their long 45 min warm ups I dont participate I tell the instructor I did my hardcore workout already I am only here for the techniques.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2014, 09:11:32 AM »
Most pro bodybuilders actually have world-class athleticism.  Phil Heath could easily be a reserve in the NBA.  A few of the 1990s pros had legit NFL talent and ran sub 4.19 times in high school.  Most had undiagnosed knee injuries and were overtaken by the love of the iron.   And of course, the pro BBing paydays make it worth it also.

Are you delusional? Sub 4.19 times? Phil would have never been drafted in the NBA. Now if you're talking bout Mike Katz he played for the Jets. Most pro bodybuilders couldn't run a slow mile without gassing. The pro paydays are very short lived.

Skorp1o

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2014, 09:15:13 AM »
Are you delusional? Sub 4.19 times? Phil would have never been drafted in the NBA. Now if you're talking bout Mike Katz he played for the Jets. Most pro bodybuilders couldn't run a slow mile without gassing. The pro paydays are very short lived.

I think 240 was tongue in cheek with his reply.
S

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2014, 09:16:56 AM »
I played rugby and football to a decent standard

and boxed for a couple of years

I started weight training when I was boxing and just carried it on

you can bodybuild at any age

as you get into your thirties especially mid thirties you lose a yard in the other sports
T

monstermunch

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2014, 09:18:50 AM »
Bodybuilding is a lifestyle bro, I'm living it 24/7.

Except for the weekends, you'll catch me doing a spot of cagefighting or perhaps some light yoga.

YngiweRhoads

• Getbig V
  • Shreddin'
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2014, 09:20:36 AM »
No, I like being healthy. Lifting weights does supplement other sports though.

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • I ate an entire box of popsicles the day prior
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2014, 09:32:44 AM »
flinstones could have played in the MLB or the World Cup track circuit but elected to be a bodybuilder.

Papper

• Getbig V
  • Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do.
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2014, 09:38:48 AM »
No. I like individual sports. (Read narcissistic, offbeat, self absorbed)

BigRo

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Mystical Manspreading
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2014, 10:06:48 AM »
Every contest prep I consider quitting competitive bodybuilding after the show.

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2014, 10:24:30 AM »
You mean - thinking about changing the mental dissease?

I'm not sure I'd be able to...unless some serious health consequences or other life circumstances that'd force me to quit..
this is what nasser said pretty much

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2014, 10:29:50 AM »

Just remember that one is a sport and the other isn't.

cannon_fodder

• Getbig III
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2014, 10:41:49 AM »

Get back into triathlon, do a few more years and then sign up for a half ironman and then a full.

snx

• Getbig IV
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2014, 10:46:34 AM »
When I was younger, I lifted for baseball.

Then I found football, and I lifted for football.

Then I found wrestling, and I lifted for wrestling (and football) in high school and college.

Then when my high level sporting days were gone after college, and all I had left was old man softball and jiu jitsu, I still enjoyed lifting to help me do as well as I could at these two sports.

As I get older still (my jiu jitsu days are numbered due to elbow and shoulder injuries) I find all I have left are two things:

1. archery
2. lifting

Lifting isn't making me a better archer. I guess I can just throw myself headlong into archery. Go all "green arrow" and shit.

Which leaves just lifting, for lifting's sake.

Problem is, as sports have come and gone in my life, the one constant has bene lifting. I'm not sure what I'd do if I couldn't do it.

Have I contemplated life without lifing? Yes. Am I looking forward to it? Absolutely not...it scares the bejesus out of me. So much of how I project myself to the world is tied up in my physical stature. Take it away, and I'm down to just brains and personality (the latter not exactly being my strong suit). And I'm pretty tired of using my brain, too.

What scares me most is that my joints will eventually wear out, and I'll no longer be able to lift.

Life is cruel as we age...we just get shit taken away from us. I certainly appreciate what I'm able to do now in the gym, and am thankful for every day I get to go there and lift.

Ronnie Rep

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2014, 10:52:10 AM »
Have stopped bodybuilding over the years. Played pickup basketball on the weekends and started riding my bike 10-20 miles or so. Also played organized men's and mixed Softball.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2014, 10:58:53 AM »
Got bored to death w BB and doing BB routines over the years and now lift more for the GR and other related events. 

Simple Simon

« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2014, 11:07:06 AM »
I never admit to being a bodybuilder with the general public.

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2014, 11:10:21 AM »
I never admit to being a bodybuilder with the general public.
"i just try to keep in shape when i get the chance"