Author Topic: 2014 NBA - The Heat will not win it all this year.  (Read 79254 times)

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
Re: 2014 NBA - The Heat will not win it all this year.
« Reply #975 on: June 24, 2014, 07:47:56 PM »
Actually not true.  The Yankees brought up guys in their farm system like Jeter, Bernie Williams, Tino Martinez, The best closer ever in Rivera, That big jew nose pitcher and a few others.  They didn't have many Free Agents when they won their 4 together, it wasn't until recently where he started to throw a lot of money at it.  George was almost ran out of NY for a while for being so cheap

No disrespect....but using George Steinbrenner as an example as not being able to buy championships is fucking stupid. if there was EVER a guy in sports team ownership who bought championships...it was George. His pockets were bottomless with the help of their TV contract money.

Every year between 1995-2007 Cashman traded prospects and emptied out his farm system for big name one year players and sign marquee free agents like Giambi, Clemens and A-Rod to huge contracts. it was a big reason why critics argued for a salary cap but the players union would never agree to it.

Every year during that time frame the Yankees stayed at the top of baseball and won a few World Series along the way. ('96,98,'99,00,'09)

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
  • I can spot crazy pussy....
« Reply #976 on: June 24, 2014, 08:22:38 PM »
Actually not true.  The Yankees brought up guys in their farm system like Jeter, Bernie Williams, Tino Martinez, The best closer ever in Rivera, That big jew nose pitcher and a few others.  They didn't have many Free Agents when they won their 4 together, it wasn't until recently where he started to throw a lot of money at it.  George was almost ran out of NY for a while for being so cheap

True, after 2003 they really started to throw money around. But that's back to my point about them trying to buy a championship team year after year because of their advantage as the biggest market team in baseball. Even though it didn't result in titles, they sure tried by outspending everybody else.

I meant to say more along the lines of pitching is where they tossed a lot of money around during those years. Wells, Cone(both pitched perfect games in consecutive years), and especially Clemens. Pitching always trumps hitting in the MLB and the Yankees certainly had it year after year it seemed.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that baseball is the one sport out of all the majors where it seems the easiet to buy championships by outspending other teams. Like the other fella said in his post...it's a sport of individual performances within a team concept. Team chemistry plays a lesser role in overall success.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #977 on: June 25, 2014, 06:53:25 PM »
Source: Mavericks "real players" for Lebron or Carmelo after the signing of Tyson Chandler

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/mavericks/post/_/id/4702306/source-mavs-real-players-for-lebron-or-carmelo

The Mavericks' decision-makers don't know how good their odds are of landing LeBron James or Carmelo Anthony in free agency.

They are certain, however, that those odds got a heck of a lot better in the last few hours.

"It makes us real players for LeBron [or] Carmelo," a team source told ESPNDallas.com after completing the trade that brought center Tyson Chandler back to Dallas.

The Mavs will attempt to convince one of the perennial All-Star small forwards to join Dirk Nowitzki and Chandler in a frontcourt that they believe would be the best in the league.

Dallas has approximately $26.5 million in salary cap space before re-signing Nowitzki, who has long been committed to taking a major pay cut to allow the Mavs to add talent around him. Nowitzki has been expected to give Dallas a Tim Duncan-like discount ($10 million per year), but he might be willing to accept even less to make room for James or Anthony. The Mavs could also make other moves to create more cap space, if necessary.

With Chandler’s contract expiring after this season, the Mavs will be positioned again next summer to make another run at a superstar in free agency even if they are successful next season. The free-agency class of 2015 could include Kevin Love, Marc Gasol and Dallas native LaMarcus Aldridge.

The Mavs have failed to land a big fish the last couple of summers in free agency, but the front office is full of optimism again after adding more bait with Wednesday’s big deal.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #978 on: June 25, 2014, 09:27:46 PM »
Spurs big 3 made 9, 10, 12 million each this year.   They are all max money guys.  They were essentially a "big 3" taking HALF pay cuts, and they were admired for it.

When Lebron takes a much smaller pay cut, people hate on it. 

I think whoever wins the championship from now on will usually be one of these teams that works for "half pay" - the Spurs wrecked the west and the Heath demolished the east.  It could just as easily be DAL or CHI in the Finals next year if either team does it with lebron and/or melo.

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
  • "Check my soundscan, Check my instagram"
« Reply #979 on: June 25, 2014, 09:31:30 PM »
Not sure what the hype is with Carmelo.

failed with the Nuggets and the Knicks.

G_Thang

• Getbig V
  • The World South of the USA isnt for pussies!
« Reply #980 on: June 25, 2014, 10:01:43 PM »
When Lebron takes a much smaller pay cut, people hate on it. 

This half-wit bitch isn't taking a pay-cut with his list of sponsors. That's like saying Jordan took a pay-cut to keep Pippen on the bulls roster.  Cut his endorsement list in 1/2.  Then, ask him to take a 60M/5Y deal.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #981 on: June 25, 2014, 11:04:07 PM »

Melo is lazy and a failure as a leader.  Weak defense and shitty attitude when he's losing.  I dislike his personality and I think he has a really punchable face.

However, if the game was on the line, with a final shot, I would MUCH rather pass the ball to Melo than Lebron.  As unstoppable as lebron is on the fast break, Melo is tall and just makes buckets. 

Melo has all sorts of issues, but if he's on a winning team that's #1 all year long/cruises to the finals... and he doesn't have to be THE leader... and he's playing with a supporting personality friend like lebron, they're great buddies...

I think melo/lebron would win a ring, easily.

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
« Reply #982 on: June 25, 2014, 11:27:09 PM »
Melo is lazy and a failure as a leader.  Weak defense and shitty attitude when he's losing.  I dislike his personality and I think he has a really punchable face.

However, if the game was on the line, with a final shot, I would MUCH rather pass the ball to Melo than Lebron.  As unstoppable as lebron is on the fast break, Melo is tall and just makes buckets. 

Melo has all sorts of issues, but if he's on a winning team that's #1 all year long/cruises to the finals... and he doesn't have to be THE leader... and he's playing with a supporting personality friend like lebron, they're great buddies...

I agree
I'm not happy with the superstars all joining one another.
I'm sure dirk finds more comfort in his one ring then lebron does in his 2.

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #983 on: June 25, 2014, 11:50:13 PM »
I agree
I'm not happy with the superstars all joining one another.
I'm sure dirk finds more comfort in his one ring then lebron does in his 2.

True. That 1 ring was all Dirk!

Pray_4_War

• Getbig V
  • Thot Expert
« Reply #984 on: June 26, 2014, 12:57:18 AM »

I'm sayin'.

Plus, he's never been in any kind of great shape.  That's why I call him Marshmelo Anthony.

catracho

• Getbig IV
  • I don't want to be "that guy"!
« Reply #985 on: June 26, 2014, 01:54:41 AM »
This half-wit bitch isn't taking a pay-cut with his list of sponsors. That's like saying Jordan took a pay-cut to keep Pippen on the bulls roster.  Cut his endorsement list in 1/2.  Then, ask him to take a 60M/5Y deal.
What kinda logic is that?  That makes no sense.  If you're taking less money than you are worth, or could make elsewhere then it's a paycut.

G_Thang

• Getbig V
  • The World South of the USA isnt for pussies!
« Reply #986 on: June 26, 2014, 02:02:16 AM »
personality friend like lebron, they're great buddies...

so how many teams and unions will it take for lebron to win more rings than jordan, so generation nothing can call him the TBE?  lebron  has a lot of likeness to easy road to greatest floyd mayweather.   

catracho

• Getbig IV
  • I don't want to be "that guy"!
« Reply #987 on: June 26, 2014, 02:07:39 AM »
Lebron will never be The GOAT, so fuck it, he should just win as much as he can wherever he can.  At the end of the day, he has to live with what he does and what we think doesn't mean shit to him.

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #988 on: June 26, 2014, 02:15:08 AM »
Not sure why us couch surfing nba fans know more about ball than the GMs. Carmelo is garbage and will never one, too many flaws although a great scorer. Mark my words; the only way Carmelo could win a chip is with Lebron. Even then  :-\

And Lebron, he's 29 and only has 2 rings. Will be lucky to get 2 more before he retires that will only make 4. Yes he's the best player right now but Jordan and Kobe were both better.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #989 on: June 26, 2014, 08:21:52 AM »
if i could only pick one player, it'd be MJ because the refs would give it to him ;)

MJ was more dominant in his era.
Lebron is a more dominant player.

Lebron's era = WAY more difficult.  All the int'l players, all the gh, all the sports nutrition and injury recovery advantages.  Take away the refs/tv adnvatage, and lebron is kevin durant these days.  And without pippen, MJ has 1-2 titles.

Lebron is sitting pretty.  He can do one more year in MIA, he can listen to every offer out there.  He's earned this position.

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #990 on: June 26, 2014, 11:21:48 AM »
if i could only pick one player, it'd be MJ because the refs would give it to him ;)

MJ was more dominant in his era.
Lebron is a more dominant player.

Lebron's era = WAY more difficult.
  All the int'l players, all the gh, all the sports nutrition and injury recovery advantages.  Take away the refs/tv adnvatage, and lebron is kevin durant these days.  And without pippen, MJ has 1-2 titles.

Lebron is sitting pretty.  He can do one more year in MIA, he can listen to every offer out there.  He's earned this position.

Wrong. No way bud. The defensive rules were a lot tougher in Jordan's era. Jordan would average 50 a game in his prime with today's defensive rules.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #991 on: June 26, 2014, 11:36:53 AM »
Wrong. No way bud. The defensive rules were a lot tougher in Jordan's era. Jordan would average 50 a game in his prime with today's defensive rules.

Check out 8:20 at this video on.   
In 1991, it was decided that Jordan was to be the new star.  He won every title (except those 2 when he was out/partial-season comeback where it was just no way to hand it to them)- Think about that - You can see it from game 1 of the 92 season until he got that 6th title.  He was given calls.  NBA rules were changed.  Each time they were down 0-2 to the Knicks, the games were completely reversed with phantom fouls. 

Now, I do believe Jordan played harder than ANYONE, probably ever, save kobe perhaps.  jordan was a KILLER on the court, a cut-throat who wanted not only to win, but to destroy other players and teams.  Greatest competitive spirit ever.  However, when you look at that video - the way he was a great player BEFORE 92 season, and unstoppable AFTER that, well... I think we can all agree it was a MARKETING thing, and that he was given an insane amount of gifts from that point fwd.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #992 on: June 26, 2014, 11:42:17 AM »
In 1991, it was decided that Jordan was to be the new star.  He won every title (except those 2 when he was out/partial-season comeback where it was just no way to hand it to them)- Think about that - You can see it from game 1 of the 92 season until he got that 6th title.  He was given calls.  NBA rules were changed.  Each time they were down 0-2 to the Knicks, the games were completely reversed with phantom fouls. 

Now, I do believe Jordan played harder than ANYONE, probably ever, save kobe perhaps.  jordan was a KILLER on the court, a cut-throat who wanted not only to win, but to destroy other players and teams.  Greatest competitive spirit ever.  However, when you look at that video - the way he was a great player BEFORE 92 season, and unstoppable AFTER that, well... I think we can all agree it was a MARKETING thing, and that he was given an insane amount of gifts from that point fwd.

Man I love 240. Nothing that happens, ever, EVER, EVER!!!! is legit. Any and every event that occurs is because of a larger conspiracy of people in the background making it happen.

Going to the store for bread? No you're not, secretly you're trying to sneak away because in your house you were cooking meth and it exploded, and you need an excuse to tell your neighbors while you go buy chemicals to clean up and dispose of your dead partners body, who died in the blast.

Getting married because you love your GF? No you're not, secretly shes the heir to the Heinz Ketchup fortune, but no one knows, because she hides it, except you, and you're marrying her because some day youre going to off her and collect that fortune.

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #993 on: June 26, 2014, 11:51:41 AM »

Every star player gets favorable calls. Jordan was so dominant that defenses hacked the living shit out of him when he drove to the basket. So of course he got calls.

The Bulls were only down 0-2 once against the Knicks in '93. They tied the series and it came down to a pivotal game 5 where Charles Smith was cleanly blocked in the final seconds and the Bulls stole a game on the road. The Bulls won that series because they were the better team not because of phantom calls.

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #994 on: June 26, 2014, 01:55:36 PM »
Baseball is interesting in this regard.  It's essentially a series of individual performances.
Babe Ruth knew what to do.

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • I ate an entire box of popsicles the day prior
« Reply #995 on: June 26, 2014, 02:01:54 PM »
Babe Ruth knew what to do.

Yes swing for the fences and get the girls even if you're a bit overweight.

Pray_4_War

• Getbig V
  • Thot Expert
« Reply #996 on: June 26, 2014, 05:34:55 PM »
Yes swing for the fences and get the girls even if you're a bit overweight.

The original permabulker.  A getbigger for sure.

Nails

• Getbig V
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jsi5VTzJpPw
« Reply #997 on: June 26, 2014, 05:36:19 PM »
The original permabulker.  A getbigger for sure.

first mudshark baby in the Majors as well

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • I ate an entire box of popsicles the day prior
« Reply #998 on: June 26, 2014, 06:25:54 PM »
Bulls trade up to take the whitest guy in the draft, wonderful  :-\

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
« Reply #999 on: June 26, 2014, 06:32:08 PM »
Bulls trade up to take the whitest guy in the draft, wonderful  :-\

LOL