Author Topic: Was Steeve Reeves really natural?  (Read 19730 times)

HowDog

• Getbig II
Was Steeve Reeves really natural?
« on: January 23, 2006, 05:50:12 PM »
o help boost the swelling body, Marnul introduced Arnold to steroids, which were then legal. Back in the early 1960s, the trainer claims, "There was no weightlifter in the world who did not take them. You could get prescriptions for them from the doctor. Arnold never took them, though, without my super-vision."

Marnul says he learned about steroids from famed bodybuilder Steve Reeves. That name brings us to another energizing influence on Arnold: the imagery, which inspired him: The pictures in the magazines and movie-house.

Does this mean Reeves was on Roids?

brianX

• Getbig IV
  • Kiwiol has 13" arms!
Re: Was Steeve Reeves really natural?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2006, 06:39:10 PM »
Nobody in America used steroids until 1958. This is a historical fact.

A few Russian weightlifters took testosterone tablets in the '56 Olympics, but other than that they were almost completely unknown to western athletes.
hahahahahahahahahahahaha

gibberj2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2006, 06:48:56 PM »
man the hate never ends. now people are gonna hate on reeves for looking good natural. soon they're gonna say Louis Cyr was on the juice because they aren't as strong as he was.

Acerimmer1

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2006, 08:15:09 PM »
man the hate never ends. now people are gonna hate on reeves for looking good natural. soon they're gonna say Louis Cyr was on the juice because they aren't as strong as he was.

Are u kidding me why would you think he wasn't? It was the 50's and he wasn't even that big. Next you will be asking if Michael Moore is Natural.

Oliver Klaushof

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2006, 08:20:15 PM »
Are u kidding me why would you think he wasn't? It was the 50's and he wasn't even that big. Next you will be asking if Michael Moore is Natural.

I personally believe he was a natural. And if he wasn't, it doesn't matter because that build can be attained without steroids. This guy claiming "EVERYONE WAS ON STEROIDS BLAH BLAH BLAH" sounds like a jealous blowhard. Marnul says "there was no weight lifter in the world who did not take them." Complete BS.
"Shut the F up and train"

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2006, 07:03:01 PM »
This is a quote from Steve Reeves book " Building The Classic Phsyique The Natural Way "

Page 171

More on Steroids

Question : The other day at the local library I was looking at a book entitled " Arnold : An Unauthorized Biograhpy " by an author by the named Wendy Leigh . On page 27 it stated that Kurt Marnul told Arnold ( Schwarzenegger ) about steroids . Marnul said that he learned about steroids and their dosages from Steve Reeves , whom he claims to have met in France durring a 1952 vacation . is this true?

Steve Reeves : That statement has also been brought to my attention by a friend who surfs the internet . No its not true . I never heard of steroids until the mid 1960s and I was never in France during the 1950s! My first trip to France was in 1948 when I entered and won the " Mr World " contest in Cannes . My second trip to France was not until 1960 when I attended the premiere of my movie , The Last Days of Pompeii .

I never heard of Kurt Marnul and I don't know what the motive he had for making that statement to Arnold . I can only speculate that he might have mixed me up with another bodybuilder of the period , or that he was trying to impress Arnold by telling him that he knew me .

The first anabolic steroids were not invented until 1958 when Dr John Ziegler found out that the Russians were experimenting with testosterone injections and cleaning house at the 1952 Olympics , he created the first oral steroid Dianbol and began to test it on atheletes and from all accounts it didn't make its way out to the West Coast bodybuilding scene until 1960 . nd you'll notice by the mid 60s you start to see a bunch of guys who weigh 230+ lbs

Steve retired at the age of 24 in 1950 , he won every major bodybuilding contest and there was nothing left for him to do , thats when he pursued an acting career , he retired ate TWENTY-FOUR !! Steve was 6'1" and weighed 215lbs , and its stated he probably had the best genetics ever , so I laugh when people say he was using steroids , he weighed 215 lbs !! he wasn't abnormally big for his Era , and couple that with his fantastic genetics and the fact that bodybuilders didn't start using steroids until 10 years after his retirement , and his word , and the picture becomes clear .

Take a look at Steve at 15 already showing his amazing potential , seeing he retired at 24 its very safe to assume we never seen just how great he could have been .

cauthon

• Getbig II
  • Craig Killed for you Bitches
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2006, 08:17:17 PM »
That pic is sick for a 15 year old. I would agree that he had the best genetics of all time.

Acerimmer1

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2006, 09:10:14 AM »
That pic is sick for a 15 year old. I would agree that he had the best genetics of all time.

I don't agree with that. Good for 15 but he had a start on most just by training at that age.

myseone

• Getbig III
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2006, 09:58:09 PM »
With enough genetic material, a good diet, a good training program, etc. Steeve development can and has been exceeded by non drug users today. He should be respected for his contribution to physical culture as todays athletes stand on his and others shoulders.

Childish///AMG

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2006, 07:23:13 AM »
Yes, Reeves was "Classic"

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2006, 05:06:43 PM »

Broad ass shoulders, narrow ass waist. Wish I could say I had those attributes.
The House that Ruth built

ScottishGary

• Getbig I
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2006, 04:42:59 PM »
He was winning competitions in the 1940's when steroids were DEFINITELY not available to anyone exceply medical researchers and military researchers. They used them on soldiers apparently first. It may have been the Germans who did so I can't remenber.

There is absolutely NO WAY Reeves could have used steroids in the 1940's any size had had in this decade he earned fair and square naturally with dedication, persistance and training to bring out his best points in proportion.

The first people noted for steroid use in sports were eastern european lifters. Hoffman found out and gave them to US lifters and all kinds of new records were set.

This was mid 1950's.

Bill Pearl is a man who trained before and after steroids came on the scene. He said he tried them briefly at one point but they made him feel bloated with really bad water retention and he didn't feel well so he came back of and stayed natural again.

gibberj2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2006, 07:54:43 PM »
I think i had seen pics of connery in 53 and he looked totally like a swimmer. does anyone have those pictures?

gibberj2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2006, 07:56:32 PM »
actually look at this

http://www.musclememory.com/show.php?c=Mr+Universe+-+NABBA&y=1953   says connery didnt place

Sculpter

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2006, 09:07:31 PM »
Actually gibber your right.Saw 1 pic of that contest (in muscleMag) & he didn't impress at all.Didn't even place as you said if I remember right.As to Reeves being a natty?I myself am of the opinion that he was.Why not?His size isn't anything a natural w/superior genetics can't achieve.His 18" biceps,calves & neck claims are at his own reported best development which means his bodyparts may not have always stayed that size.May have been into the 17" range often?He also doesn't or you can't see any of the obvious signs of steroid use. The biggest & most obvious being bad skin.Any writers that I have read that mention his skin always describe his skin tone as pretty well flawless while anybody i've ever seen on d-bol shows signs of acne.

gibberj2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2006, 04:21:52 AM »
can you post the picture? i dont wanna have to register with that forum

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2006, 03:01:45 PM »
Here are two shot of Reeves in his prime. Considering his genetics and that he probably pumped up before the shoots, I believe he's natty.

gibberj2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2006, 03:14:02 PM »
He retired from competition at the age of 24. Since he was born in 1926 that would mean he did not compete after 1950. Are the haters saying he took steroids before 1950? I SERIOUSLY doubt that. what bodybuilders before 1950 took anything? I say he was definately natural, had good genetics and could have gone a lot farther if he wanted to. 24 a baby for bodybuilding. This guy obviously had some of the best genetics of all time for size and aesthetics. After he stopped competing he allegedly only trained one month per year. he said that one month of training would keep him in shape all year. LOL. Of course bodybuilding was different back then and not everyone was going for tons and tons of mass.

Oliver Klaushof

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2006, 05:16:43 PM »
I dount he even has "the best genetics." People just refuse to believe gains can be made without steroids anymore. I'd say someone with average genetics can achieve that. Notice he doesn't look bloated either. Looks healthy.

Oliver Klaushof

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2006, 05:18:41 PM »

I don't know how to do that.  I registered there on a lark, I think it's okay.  No spam that I know of from them.   

right click, save target as....

go to www.putfile.com or www.photobucket.com, register. Upload the pic, select it, right click, properties, copy the http, insert the address between img][/img] and post.

Superman

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2006, 02:30:13 PM »
I want to express my opinion about steroids and HGH. You heard the same thing from Tom Prince. You don’t need steroids or HGH until you reach you full natural potential. Me personally, I think you never need steroids or HGH, yeah the road of life will be harder, but suck it up. That's life and it’s not going to get easier unless you cheat through life. It takes genetics to build a great body and I think that's a bunch of BS. You train hard enough and diet the best you know how. There will be nothing that will hold you back and for you to grace the natural bodybuilding stage. You just have to have it in you heart and the will to succeed. The harder you work the bigger the reward and easier you work no reward. Look at all these guys shooting up roids and HGH, then health problems come around. Where'd there body go, exactly. You think natural bodybuilders are going to go though health problems like the IFBB pros do, that shoot up. No, that’s not the healthy lifestyle. People want to see cartoon characters and to see people larger in life physically. Let them have there pro bodybuilders and for myself. I'll keep running, dieting, and weightlifting six days a week. They made there choice and I made mine. Love it or hate it.

gibberj2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2006, 03:51:30 AM »
the fact remains. while nobody NEEDS steroids. in proffestional bodybuilding you can't win without them. on a big guy roids is like 30 or 40 more pounds than he can have naturally. i think it's better not to use them if you're just a regular guy but if you wanna be in the olympia some day you have to take them. they are also not cheaters because everyone on that stage uses them and they all know it. if you don't wanna take them then you'll never win any olympias or arnold classics. if that's your problem with the whole thing then what can i say? life isn't fair.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2006, 09:12:45 PM »
I have heard this debate on many boards about Steve Reeves.  He looked good at 15.  Was he juicing in the 30's? He looked good his whole life until cancer stole his health.  To question if he was juicing during world war II when he was nick named the Shape by fellow soldiers is bizarre.  To also think his physique is attainable is also beyond crazy.  Please show me the pictures.  Juicers always want to take credit for their steroid physique.  In reality how many top pros both women and men look like they couldn't win a Mr. Idaho contest off steroids.  Can you say 100%. How many muscleless women look like male bodybuilder when they take steroids?  How many pros look like hell 5 months off the juice?  Reeves will always define bodybuilding for me.  The steroid fans will always say he was a user to justify their use.  They will cry that no one could look that good without a syringe. 

gibberj2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2006, 04:30:22 AM »
it's stupid to say he used steroids because the guy stopped competing when he was 24! after that he never got bigger or better.

gibberj2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2006, 08:01:50 PM »
Oliva said in a interview that everyone took steroids. he went down a list of names including Reeves. How would he know Reeves used? Reeves was before his time. Reading that interview he sounded like he was trying to look like a bigshot. like he knew everything and everyone. he said some things that didn't make any sense like some guys you see now weigh 200 pounds in then in a few months using today's drugs they get to 275 or 300. REALLY? Like who? No pros anyone knows... Fat people don't count. He doesn't sound like he follows the sport so closely. Just because he knows how to train and won 3 Olympias doesn't mean he can say whatever he wants if let's say he doesn't even follow the competitions.