Poll

Is the US more conservative or liberal??

At least 50.1% of the nation is liberal
At least 50.1% of the nation is conservative

Author Topic: The majority of Americans - Are they liberal? NEW POLL RESULTS  (Read 5501 times)

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
Re: The majority of Americans - Are they liberal?
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2014, 06:25:18 AM »
From a financial standpoint, I think most of the country is overly conservative.

From a social standpoint, the 1940s views are being put out to the pasture and the country is more liberal in that sense.

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2014, 09:49:12 AM »
From a financial standpoint, I think most of the country is overly conservative.

From a social standpoint, the 1940s views are being put out to the pasture and the country is more liberal in that sense.

Best post in this thread, imo.

Basically, the question of whether the majority of Americans are liberal or conservative is too flawed to have any kind of worthwhile answer.

Firstly, I think, because the terms "liberal" and "conservative" are relative.
Secondly, and more importantly, most people will have a mixture of liberal and conservative views that vary depending on the issue.

Kudos to 240 for this thread anyway, though.  It brings up the interesting question about why so many folks avoid self-identifying as liberals when they clearly hold so many liberal views. 

In general, I like 240's posts. Though he's definitely trolling at least some of the time but what he posts often seems to be the product of original thinking.  Not enough of that on this board, imo.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2014, 12:06:40 PM »

The average US household credit card debt stands at $15191.   Almost half of US households have more debt than savings.  Plus U.S. personal savings rates are continuing to fall.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2014, 08:47:56 AM »
The answer is yes.   Tough to argue with these numbers.   :(  Majority of Americans are liberals, it's not really up for debate anymore. 

t is a persistent belief among many in the political and media establishments, fed by decades of right-wing propaganda, that the United States is a “center-right nation” that finds progressives to be far too liberal for mainstream positions of power.

If you look purely at electoral outcomes, those who assert this appear to have a fairly strong point. The last several decades of federal politics have been dominated by center-right policies and truly left-wing politicians have been largely marginalized (e.g., Bernie Sanders). Even Clinton and Obama — the last two Democratic presidents who, theoretically, should be leftists — are corporate-friendly moderates who have triangulated during negotiations with Republicans to pass center-right policy compromises (e.g., Obama’s Heritage Foundation-inspired ACA or the Clinton Defense of Marriage Act compromise).

While electoral results may support the idea of a center-right nation, looking beyond electoral politics — which involve a mixture of policy choices, party politics, fundraising and propaganda — and focusing purely upon raw policy preferences leaves us with an entirely different picture.

Here is a compilation of polling data from various reputable American polling organizations, describing the policy preferences of the Americans people over the last year.

And if your only defense is to attack the source- read it - they cite a whole lot of far-right polling sources.  Everyone says the same thing.  Libs have taken over.
http://www.salon.com/2014/07/28/gops_30_year_spin_job_is_over_why_we_are_not_a_center_right_nation/

240 is Back

• Getbig V
Re: The majority of Americans - Are they liberal? NEW POLL RESULTS
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2014, 09:01:07 AM »
The facts.

I dunno... when asked to self-identify, everyone screams "independent" or "conservative" because the word LIBERAL has been demonized so much.

but when asked to take positions on the issues, the majority of Americans choose pretty liberal positions.  

common sense tells us people don't think they're liberals, they don't want to be called liberals, but they agree with liberals on the majority of the issues ;)

So either they don't understand the fact their core beliefs overlap with liberals on almost everything, or they're in denial.  Either way, um, they're liberals, like it or not.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2014, 09:19:24 AM »
Two polls in January 2014 confirm what I have written about for quite a while: America -- and this means not just Flyover Country, but nearly all of America -- is solidly conservative.

The Battleground Poll shows that a very solid majority of Americans describe themselves as conservative.  This poll has been remarkably accurate in predicting the outcome of elections.  The internal data of the Battleground Poll, unlike many other polls, is publicly reported.

http://www.americanthinker.com/2014/02/the_solid_conservative_majority.html

Exactly.  Consistent with my experience interacting with people all over the country. 

Bear232

• Getbig II
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2014, 09:33:05 AM »

Quoting Mother Jones and Democratic Underground.  Priceless. ;)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2014, 09:58:45 AM »
a very solid majority of Americans describe themselves as conservative.

Dude, there are a handful of people on the getbig political board who call themselves "very conservative" and who dislike liberals on a daily basis... yet they voted Clinton, they are a-okay with amnesty, etc.

Calling oneself conservative, while supporting so many lib causes, doesn't make one a conservative.  You might think it does, that's cool.  

Proof is in pudding--- americans keep choosing liberal presidents that line up with their liberal beliefs.  They talk about hating liberals and loving conservatism, but they have lib positions and choose lib candidates.

You keep on citing polls where people SELF DESCRIBE.   I'll keep citing polls where people consistently do this while chosing LIB POSITIONS ON THE ISSUES.

if you can't see the difference, sorry, but I think most getbiggers here will.   They're self-described conservatives who vote lib and have lib positions.  They're not really conservatives, dude.

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2014, 10:03:39 AM »
Dude, there are a handful of people on the getbig political board who call themselves "very conservative" and who dislike liberals on a daily basis... yet they voted Clinton, they are a-okay with amnesty, etc.

Calling oneself conservative, while supporting so many lib causes, doesn't make one a conservative.  You might think it does, that's cool.  

Proof is in pudding--- americans keep choosing liberal presidents that line up with their liberal beliefs.  They talk about hating liberals and loving conservatism, but they have lib positions and choose lib candidates.

You keep on citing polls where people SELF DESCRIBE.   I'll keep citing polls where people consistently do this while chosing LIB POSITIONS ON THE ISSUES.

if you can't see the difference, sorry, but I think most getbiggers here will.   They're self-described conservatives who vote lib and have lib positions.  They're not really conservatives, dude.

Ya mean if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck but says it's not a duck it might still be a duck?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2014, 10:06:50 AM »
Ya mean if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck but says it's not a duck it might still be a duck?

Yes.   This middle 10% of the population... they're wearing a shirt that says "Keep Calm and Swan On!" and telling everyone they're a beautiful swan... but their mama is a duck, their daddy is a duck, they have webbed toes and they're leaving duck shit everywhere.

But in a self-reported poll on Brietbart, this animal is a swan, by golly, because he said so. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2014, 11:55:31 AM »

Yes, I understand your world view is formed based on what a handful of anonymous people and gimmicks say on a message board.  That explains a lot. 

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2014, 12:21:59 PM »
Yes, I understand your world view is formed based on what a handful of anonymous people and gimmicks say on a message board.  That explains a lot. 

You seem to be losing the plot here, BB. 

240 isn't saying jack about his own world view, he's talking about how the political opinions of many self-described conservatives (both on GB and in the USA in general) support liberal policies.  He's posted links supporting these ideas.

You're just crabby and predisposed to personally insulting folks today, seems to me.   Actually, there's nothing too wrong with that (lol) but how about doing it and staying on point in the discussion, too?  Is that asking too much?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2014, 12:26:58 PM »
You seem to be losing the plot here, BB. 

240 isn't saying jack about his own world view, he's talking about how the political opinions of many self-described conservatives (both on GB and in the USA in general) support liberal policies.  He's posted links supporting these ideas.

You're just crabby and predisposed to personally insulting folks today, seems to me.   Actually, there's nothing too wrong with that (lol) but how about doing it and staying on point in the discussion, too?  Is that asking too much?

*yawn*

I know you have trouble focusing, but I posted links and excerpts in this thread.  Maybe you should read them.  You might learn something. 

And you should stay out of the way of my occasional toying with my personal whipping boy.  Don't interfere with my Monday entertainment. 

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2014, 12:34:58 PM »

And you should stay out of the way of my occasional toying with my personal whipping boy.  Don't interfere with my Monday entertainment. 

OK.   Man, you surprise me here.

(I would like you more if you'd say things like this more often.)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2014, 12:43:18 PM »
OK.   Man, you surprise me here.

(I would like you more if you'd say things like this more often.)

::)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2014, 03:49:18 PM »

you don't win many arguments on getbig these days.   your debate is outright garbage now.

I don't think any getbiggers will chime in to defend you either.  You change subject to insults, you roll eyes, and you generally just derail things.  And not in an entertaining way, rather, in a dumb and boring way.

The simple issue here is "self-described" versus where they sit on the actual issues. There's a huge disconnect here.     

please, BB, let's not have getbig suck so much anymore.  Let's have good debates again here.  Most of teh regulars are gone now, this place is lame lately.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2014, 03:55:14 PM »
you don't win many arguments on getbig these days.   your debate is outright garbage now.

I don't think any getbiggers will chime in to defend you either.  You change subject to insults, you roll eyes, and you generally just derail things.  And not in an entertaining way, rather, in a dumb and boring way.

The simple issue here is "self-described" versus where they sit on the actual issues. There's a huge disconnect here.     

please, BB, let's not have getbig suck so much anymore.  Let's have good debates again here.  Most of teh regulars are gone now, this place is lame lately.

I'm not arguing about anything.  This isn't a debate.  I am mocking you.  The fact you think people are "winning" or "losing" "debates" on this message board further shows how small your world is.   

I know this is an adult playground, but nobody needs defenders on here.  lol 

The only thing that has really changed on the board is the over-the-top stalking by Soul Crusher groupies.  Other than that, it's the same.  People come and go.  "Regulars" take breaks.  Soul Crusher posts every day.  You lie or embellish every day.  Same old same old.   

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2014, 04:04:58 PM »

Not to pile on, but I agree with this. 

Earlier today, I was reading an old, old thread that SC brought back from the dead (as he likes to do) and was surprised at how well-reasoned BB's posts were a few years ago when contrasted with how he usually writes now. 

Makes me feel like a dick for making old-age cracks if he really is suffering from some age-related issues.  Hopefully it's only because he's taken to drinking during the day. lol

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2014, 04:06:45 PM »
I'm not arguing about anything.  This isn't a debate.  I am mocking you.  The fact you think people are "winning" or "losing" "debates" on this message board further shows how small your world is.  

I know this is an adult playground, but nobody needs defenders on here.  lol  

The only thing that has really changed on the board is the over-the-top stalking by Soul Crusher groupies.  Other than that, it's the same.  People come and go.  "Regulars" take breaks.  Soul Crusher posts every day.  You lie or embellish every day.  Same old same old.    

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #45 on: July 28, 2014, 04:07:51 PM »
I'm not arguing about anything.  This isn't a debate.  I am mocking you.  The fact you think people are "winning" or "losing" "debates" on this message board further shows how small your world is.   

I know this is an adult playground, but nobody needs defenders on here.  lol 

The only thing that has really changed on the board is the over-the-top stalking by Soul Crusher groupies.  Other than that, it's the same.  People come and go.  "Regulars" take breaks.  Soul Crusher posts every day.  You lie or embellish every day.  Same old same old.   

Translation:   Yeah, I'm mailing it in.  So what?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: July 28, 2014, 04:10:43 PM »
Translation:   Yeah, I'm mailing it in.  So what?

I think this is the part where we starting talking about each other's mother.  I'll start:  your momma is so dumb she thought a quarterback was a refund. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: July 28, 2014, 04:12:08 PM »
I think this is the part where we starting talking about each other's mother.  I'll start:  your momma is so dumb she thought a quarterback was a refund. 

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #48 on: July 28, 2014, 04:14:17 PM »

LOL. 

Even with respect to insults, you're mailing it in, eh?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: July 28, 2014, 04:15:43 PM »
LOL. 

Even with respect to insults, you're mailing it in, eh?

That's all you got?  I have lots of momma jokes.   :)