Author Topic: New IC and US Champs - right move?  (Read 165665 times)

littleguns

• Getbig V
New IC and US Champs - right move?
« on: May 07, 2014, 03:25:31 PM »
Was Barrett and Sheamus the right move?

Will there now be some focus on both belts or will this be a low card belt where back in the day the IC meant more than the Heavyweight belt.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
Re: New IC and US Champs - right move?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 06:03:41 PM »
Until they lose the Authority figures, HHH and Steph, the titles are meaningless, as the Authority Figure can just set up any silly stip he pleases where the champ or challenger has no chance.

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 09:10:17 PM »
Barrett's doing good work at the moment and the crowd seem to be liking his gimmick.  Plus, that elbow he's using as a finisher looks like it'd do some legitimate damage.  Too many finishers these days don't look any different to a regular move.

littleguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 05:48:16 AM »
I feel like they keep repackaging Barrett trying to find his character, hope this is it.

Truthfully I wish they did more with Big E, aside from mic skills, he has what Vince likes, big, strong cartoonish type guy.

I think Sheamus has passed his calling. He was better as a heel, which right now WWE is lacking.

Aside from Evolution there are no strong heels.

One might say Wyatt's but they are tweeners in my mind..

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2014, 10:02:21 PM »
Was Barrett and Sheamus the right move?

Will there now be some focus on both belts or will this be a low card belt where back in the day the IC meant more than the Heavyweight belt.

NO! Those belts should be used as stepping stones for the new guys. Why does Sheamus need to be US champion again, after being WWE champ twice and World champion?

And what does another IC run do for Barrett? He's been there three times before. I say the US champ should have been....yes.....FAAAAAAA N-DAAAAAAAN-GOOOOOO!!! Give him a long, goofy run, Honky-style.

As for the IC belt, I'd have gone with Cesaro, as he was the only guy in the tournament who hadn't been IC champ or higher (I don't consider the US title as the equivalent of the Intercontinental championship; your mileage may vary).

littleguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2014, 05:16:05 AM »
NO! Those belts should be used as stepping stones for the new guys. Why does Sheamus need to be US champion again, after being WWE champ twice and World champion?

And what does another IC run do for Barrett? He's been there three times before. I say the US champ should have been....yes.....FAAAAAAA N-DAAAAAAAN-GOOOOOO!!! Give him a long, goofy run, Honky-style.

As for the IC belt, I'd have gone with Cesaro, as he was the only guy in the tournament who hadn't been IC champ or higher (I don't consider the US title as the equivalent of the Intercontinental championship; your mileage may vary).

I think Caesaro would have been a great choice grooming him for a later World Title Feud. Back in the day the IC title was just as Prestigious as the Heavyweight......it was the working man's belt. Think of some of the people it elevated, Hart, Savage and should have meant more for Henning....

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2014, 04:39:21 PM »
I think Caesaro would have been a great choice grooming him for a later World Title Feud. Back in the day the IC title was just as Prestigious as the Heavyweight......it was the working man's belt. Think of some of the people it elevated, Hart, Savage and should have meant more for Henning....

I suspect Hennig would have kept going had it not been for his back injury.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2014, 06:55:01 PM »

I wouldn't say it was just as prestigious. I certainly didn't think it elevated the likes of Marc Mero or Goldust. I thought back in '98 it would have given Ken Shamrock a push. But, that didn't quite happen.

When he lost to Val Venis, that pretty much watered it down from there: Road Dogg, Goldust (again), Godfather, Jeff Jarrett, D'Lo Brown, Chyna.......

littleguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2014, 05:52:03 AM »
I wouldn't say it was just as prestigious. I certainly didn't think it elevated the likes of Marc Mero or Goldust. I thought back in '98 it would have given Ken Shamrock a push. But, that didn't quite happen.

When he lost to Val Venis, that pretty much watered it down from there: Road Dogg, Goldust (again), Godfather, Jeff Jarrett, D'Lo Brown, Chyna.......

Good point but I guess I was referencing old school 80's and early 90's. IC Champs were fighting champs...Chico Santana, Muraco, Valentine etc back when wrestlers were men and not swim suit models

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2014, 05:50:45 PM »
Good point but I guess I was referencing old school 80's and early 90's. IC Champs were fighting champs...Chico Santana, Muraco, Valentine etc back when wrestlers were men and not swim suit models

Ummm....how would you categorize former IC champ, Ravishing Rick Rude?

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2014, 06:24:43 PM »

Yes!
Not always, but often, the I-C belt was a prelude to either a run with the big belt, working a program with the champ, or engaging in some high-profile feuds.

I enjoyed many of the I-C champs from that period. I'm still surprised that they never gave Paul Ordnorff that belt. He always struck me as a good candidate.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2014, 09:01:02 PM »

Yes!
Not always, but often, the I-C belt was a prelude to either a run with the big belt, working a program with the champ, or engaging in some high-profile feuds.

I enjoyed many of the I-C champs from that period. I'm still surprised that they never gave Paul Ordnorff that belt. He always struck me as a good candidate.

Does that include THE GREATEST INTERCONTINENTAL CHAMPION OF ALL TIME, THE HONKY TONK MAN??

;D ;D

littleguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2014, 05:30:17 AM »
Ummm....how would you categorize former IC champ, Ravishing Rick Rude?

Rude came across as a legitimate bad ass whether he really was or not. That Magnum PI stache just gave him the heel look. Many of his promos started the same, all you fat, out of shape etc etc but he had the crowd in the palm of his hand and of course with Heenan by his side, icing on the cake.

Speaking of Rude, is he in the HOF? If not, I am sure Vince is still holding a grudge for Rude being on Nitro and Raw on the same night.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2014, 10:33:54 AM »
Rude has not been inducted.

littleguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2014, 06:40:24 AM »
Rude has not been inducted.

So Rude and Savage next year (LOL)?? 2 deceased individuals in 1 year?

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2014, 09:34:48 AM »
So Rude and Savage next year (LOL)?? 2 deceased individuals in 1 year?

If not next year, then eventually.
They all do. And, when they wave enough green in front of Martha Hart, Owen will go in, too.

The only one who will never, EVER make it in is Benoit.

littleguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2014, 05:29:26 AM »
What am I missing here; Barrett wins a tourney and beats Big E. Now instead of Big E using his "rematch clause", they have another tourney that he wins and he is now facing Barrett again. HUH??

I always hear...why are Hollywood or wrestling "marks" writing the shows? Lets go back to the old days of having 2-3 bookers that are current/former wrestlers that know the biz, lets get Sullivan, Dusty and 1 or 2 more......

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2014, 10:04:44 AM »
What am I missing here; Barrett wins a tourney and beats Big E. Now instead of Big E using his "rematch clause", they have another tourney that he wins and he is now facing Barrett again. HUH??

I always hear...why are Hollywood or wrestling "marks" writing the shows? Lets go back to the old days of having 2-3 bookers that are current/former wrestlers that know the biz, lets get Sullivan, Dusty and 1 or 2 more......

Big E used his rematch clause on Raw, the night after Extreme Rules. Barrett beat him again.

Plus, I thought RVD just won a "Beat-The-Clock" challenge series of matches on RAW to face Barrett at "Payback" for the title.

As for Big E Langston, it appears they're setting up a feud between him and Alexander Rusev, after Big E stopped Rusev from ripping Hacksaw Jim Duggan apart.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2014, 10:21:47 AM »

If not next year, then eventually.
They all do. And, when they wave enough green in front of Martha Hart, Owen will go in, too.

The only one who will never, EVER make it in is Benoit.

Two other guys who should be in the Hall of Fame, in my view, are the longest reigning WWF Tag champs of all time....

littleguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2014, 02:42:40 PM »
Two other guys who should be in the Hall of Fame, in my view, are the longest reigning WWF Tag champs of all time....

Ahh Barry Darsow....I think he wins the most gimmicks award

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2014, 06:19:57 PM »
Demolition deserves to go in, they deserve a DVD, etc.
But, both Darsow and (especially) Eadie have such an extensive history beyond the Fed. Both men deserve mention of that history.

littleguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2014, 03:13:44 PM »
Masked Superstar then later Super Machine

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2014, 06:04:09 PM »
Masked Superstar then later Super Machine

I always overlook his stint with the Machines.

littleguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2014, 05:52:38 AM »

I always overlook his stint with the Machines.

Gawd I miss the 80's as I think this was the best time to be a wrestling fan then the Attitude era came which was decent.

I remember watching on Saturdays WWF from 11-12, all squash matches then NWA TBS from 6:05-8:05 and if I was awake, WWF again at 11 or 12 pm on WWOR

I know wrestling is cyclical and goes through highs and lows but it has been 10+ yrs since attitude era, something has to change.

Soo much hype behind Jeff Jarrett's new promotion, hope he backs all this shit up.

gmflex

• Getbig V
  • The Empire lives...you rebel scum!!!
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2014, 07:27:51 AM »
I like Sandow..
He can get under people skin..
Too bad they use him poorly.. comic relief..