Author Topic: Couldnt i die if i touched one of them damn wires up underneath the house?  (Read 2724 times)

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
those wires with the black insulation or that mesh type insulation on it. its kinda scary if this could kill me maybe i need to just buy a damn generator and run my power tools from that when workin up under a house.

i know not to touch the damn wires but wonder what would happen if my skin actually bumped into it it is possible could be a break in the insulation in them old wires, im not talkin about that damn conduit that runs in that meatal looking pipe (doesnt feel like metal some weird material)
A

hrspwr1

• Getbig III
  • flirtin with disaster everyday
its probably only 120 volts just enough to light you up a bit, get your ass back under there fukn crybaby.

Lustral

• Getbig V
  • FREE NOODLES
Wear rubber gloves and boots.Might as well don a gimp outfit while at it.

Icelord

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
Consider that electrical engineers who do maintenance on the voltage generators in New York City's subway system have to wear full body rubber suits with gloves, as touching the material means instant death. Your hardware isn't that potent.

Thick Nick

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • "Some want to look good, others want to do good."
A 120 would hurt but prolly not kill you... if you hit an un-insulated 220 line though? =p And those old wires could have breaks in the insulation.
$

Lustral

• Getbig V
  • FREE NOODLES
http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=33130.0

Some good answers here:

I agree with Soul Surfer. A current flowing from one arm to the other is extremely dangerous, even if your feet are well insulated from ground.

It all depends on your understanding of P=IV and how electricity works. If you understand how to insulate yourself from a shock, you'll be fine. This means rubber gear as explained above but also what you do with arms. Don't give electricity a shortcut to a conductor, rubber is an insulator so using it on grounding points such as arms (gloves) and feet (shoes) greatly reduces chance of it grounding. I shouldn't have to mention don't wear a metal belt buckle in a crawl space doing this.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
Sounds like you might have to rewire the place.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
My uncle was friends with a guy who was hanging some lights and accidentally stepped into a puddle of water.

I was told half of his head came off.

Lustral

• Getbig V
  • FREE NOODLES
My uncle was friends with a guy who was hanging some lights and accidentally stepped into a puddle of water.

I was told half of his head came off.

Saw pics of ppl who got electrocuted on orgirsh way back when. Fucking scarred me. Toasted organs protruding from chest etc. Try to avoid all that gory stuff now though stupidly clicked on a Mexican chainsaw beheading here recently.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
My cousin's neighbor's ballsack burst into flame cause he plugged in his phone charger while urinating.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
Saw pics of ppl who got electrocuted on orgirsh way back when. Fucking scarred me. Toasted organs protruding from chest etc. Try to avoid all that gory stuff now though stupidly clicked on a Mexican chainsaw beheading here recently.

Ya someone on here put a gif of that bullshit once.  >:(

In all seriousness, johnny don't fuck around with that stuff. Very serious shit can go wrong if you don't know what you're doing.

Lustral

• Getbig V
  • FREE NOODLES
Ya someone on here put a gif of that bullshit once.  >:(

In all seriousness, johnny don't fuck around with that stuff. Very serious shit can go wrong if you don't know what you're doing.

If you understand electricity it is fairly basic stuff. Always loved learning about Faraday's demonstrations in physics and fucking with van de graaf generator (think that's what it was called). Even though latter was static electricity it was interesting how different people had different voltages in their bodies.

Costanza

• Getbig IV
  • ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐ Team 5 plates a side on uprights
Stay safe brother Forkwater.

littledumbells

• Getbig III
 120 volt can kill you for sure. Depending on how well you can conduct a path to ground. Its not the volts that kill its the amps. Look at it this way, ill use a liquid analogy for electricity. Volts is pressure, amps is flow

Lustral

• Getbig V
  • FREE NOODLES
120 volt can kill you for sure. Depending on how well you can conduct a path to ground. Its not the volts that kill its the amps

True this, think it's 50k-100k V flowing through all our bodies. As I posted before P=IV, was explaining this to my 9 year old at weekend. Probably went over his head.

thebrink

• Getbig V
120 volt can kill you for sure. Depending on how well you can conduct a path to ground. Its not the volts that kill its the amps. Look at it this way, ill use a liquid analogy for electricity. Volts is pressure, amps is flow

Yep, and it doesn't take very many amps to kill you either..

Always use a safe limit of approach when dealing with that shit, or better yet, hire an electrician!

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
Be careful up underneath there Senor Falconi.....that lektwisity shit don`t play!

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
Yeah broseph, plz cut the power and use a flashlight or something.

ChristopherA

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
its probably only 120 volts just enough to light you up a bit, get your ass back under there fukn crybaby.
X2. You sound like a gay

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
Electricity is natural, like vegetarianism, therefore electricity is good for you.
Drink up, Johnny!!!
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Knooger

• Getbig V
One of the posters on a different forum I post on died working under a house. I only got vague details, but it sounded like there was water leaking that had a current going through it. He was young and just had his first child with his wife, suddenly dead. Be cautious.

wolfrittner

• Getbig IV
Are you one of the "Jack ass Crew"? You like to live in danger do you?

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
:-X
A

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • also shopped my pic you tried to make it subtle