Author Topic: How do steroids fuse growth plates?  (Read 5617 times)

Matt C

• Getbig V
  • The White Vince Goodrum
How do steroids fuse growth plates?
« on: January 23, 2006, 07:45:18 PM »
What is the mechanism for this happening?
Bodybuilding Pro.com

DIVISION

• Getbig V
  • Bless me please, father.....
Re: How do steroids fuse growth plates?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2006, 08:01:50 PM »
What is the mechanism for this happening?

I am a hair under 5'9 and I can't afford to lose any height.  I've heard that males can grow until age 25 and also heard steroids fuse growth plates but have never learned exactly why that is.

Any ideas?

Complicated process Matthew.

Evidently the excess estrogen from the aromatization of the AAS will signal the growth plates that it's time to close, regardless of other circumstances.  When hormone levels are left alone, they will close on their own, but the excess hormones fu.ck up the natural order of things.  It's the estrogen that causes them to close.

DIV
I'm a ghost in these killing fields...

DIVISION

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2006, 08:22:59 PM »
So should I put off roids until age 25 just to be safe?   ???

Also, is it true people are a 1/4 to 1/2 inch taller in the morning?  And if so which measurement do we go by when stating our height.

Yes, I am a midget - nothing that great posture can't make up for, but a midget nevertheless.

I would say 25 to be sure, because by then everything will have been finalized and your growth will be definitive.  It all depends on you and if you think it's worth it to start early.  I started when I was 25, but had been reading and learning since I was 22.  Yes, people are taller in the morning as gravity shorten us all during the day.

I'd say your height is accurate during the day.  It's not a big enough difference to matter.

DIV

freakfestMD

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2006, 05:34:30 AM »
What's wrong with being 5'9"?? (my height  ;))

In males, most significant growth is completed in the late teens, maybe 20.  The reason to wait until 25 yrs of age has more to do with maximizing your body's potential for muscle growth, not because of issues with bone length. 

Div is correct: Estrogen levels are intimately linked to growth plate (physeal) closure.  The following info comes from a previous thread I posted on this same topic (specifically, it related to the concept of using estrogen blockade to allow uninhibited skeletal growth) :

Both growth hormone and the sex steroids, particularly estrogen, are necessary for the normal adolescent growth spurt.  This is true for both boys and girls.  Estrogen appears to be the critical stimulus of the physis causing the linear growth spurt.  Lower doses of estrogens, as during early puberty, stimulate growth, whereas higher doses, in later adolescence, lead to growth cessation.  Once GnRH resumes its pulsatile release (which is suppressed between infancy and puberty), estrogen is stimulated from the ovaries in girls, or from the testis directly and from peripheral aromatization of testosterone in boys resulting in initial breast development in girls and rapid foot growth in both boys and girls as the first signs of the adolescent growth spurt.  This initial estrogen increase stimulates further GH release.  GH acts directly and indirectly through production of IGF-1 to stimulate physeal growth.  The growth rate then peaks about 2 years later and then slows to cessation after another 2 years with estrogen again appearing to be the primary factor causing physeal closure. 

There are indeed certain estrogen receptor deficiency states in boys that can result in continued growth.  Whether or not true estrogen blockade either at the receptor level or testosterone conversion level would allow adolescents to take AAs without affecting growth is an intriguing concept, but don't hold your breath waiting for that study to get published...

Hope you found the info useful.

Borracho

• Getbig V
  • Waking up is possible if ur tired of the dream....
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2006, 09:40:18 PM »
What's wrong with being 5'9"?? (my height  ;))

In males, most significant growth is completed in the late teens, maybe 20.  The reason to wait until 25 yrs of age has more to do with maximizing your body's potential for muscle growth, not because of issues with bone length. 

Div is correct: Estrogen levels are intimately linked to growth plate (physeal) closure.  The following info comes from a previous thread I posted on this same topic (specifically, it related to the concept of using estrogen blockade to allow uninhibited skeletal growth) :

Both growth hormone and the sex steroids, particularly estrogen, are necessary for the normal adolescent growth spurt.  This is true for both boys and girls.  Estrogen appears to be the critical stimulus of the physis causing the linear growth spurt.  Lower doses of estrogens, as during early puberty, stimulate growth, whereas higher doses, in later adolescence, lead to growth cessation.  Once GnRH resumes its pulsatile release (which is suppressed between infancy and puberty), estrogen is stimulated from the ovaries in girls, or from the testis directly and from peripheral aromatization of testosterone in boys resulting in initial breast development in girls and rapid foot growth in both boys and girls as the first signs of the adolescent growth spurt.  This initial estrogen increase stimulates further GH release.  GH acts directly and indirectly through production of IGF-1 to stimulate physeal growth.  The growth rate then peaks about 2 years later and then slows to cessation after another 2 years with estrogen again appearing to be the primary factor causing physeal closure. 

There are indeed certain estrogen receptor deficiency states in boys that can result in continued growth.  Whether or not true estrogen blockade either at the receptor level or testosterone conversion level would allow adolescents to take AAs without affecting growth is an intriguing concept, but don't hold your breath waiting for that study to get published...

Hope you found the info useful.

Great post.

DIVISION

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2006, 02:21:05 AM »
freakfestMD - thank you for the reply.  Same to you Division.  I will reply back later.  But for now, one quick question - In the morning I gain more than 1/2 an inch in height.  So which height do I go by when stating it: the morning height or nighttime height?   ???  Or an average of them both?

I'd go with the one during the day, or average the two.

Your given height is not when you wake up......

DIV

MassInMass

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2006, 03:57:27 PM »
Hey...Not that I'm an authority...Just a word of advice...I took some gear back when I was eighteen. I scored some d-bol from some knucklehead at the gym I was working out at. Back then, there was not that much info floating around. Anyway, I took it for a total of about 7 weeks, with no PCT, no nothing. I never did it since then(even though I am considering it now). I'm pretty sure I stunted my own growth by taking it that early. I'm 35, 5'10" now, however, my father was 6'5", and my shortest brother is 6'2". I would wait until I was 24-25 if I were you. You can always take gear and get big, but you can't reverse it if you stunt your growth.   

DIVISION

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2006, 04:39:11 PM »
Hey...Not that I'm an authority...Just a word of advice...I took some gear back when I was eighteen. I scored some d-bol from some knucklehead at the gym I was working out at. Back then, there was not that much info floating around. Anyway, I took it for a total of about 7 weeks, with no PCT, no nothing. I never did it since then(even though I am considering it now). I'm pretty sure I stunted my own growth by taking it that early. I'm 35, 5'10" now, however, my father was 6'5", and my shortest brother is 6'2". I would wait until I was 24-25 if I were you. You can always take gear and get big, but you can't reverse it if you stunt your growth.   

It sounds like you stunted your growth, bro.

DIV

MassInMass

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2006, 04:57:06 PM »
I know...I'm in denial...

skrill

• Getbig I
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2006, 08:05:30 PM »
uhm,  I took test at pretty high doses when I was 16 after the 4th week I felt like I was going to have a heart attack so I stopped.  No pct just andro and apparently I have grown about another inch or two since.  But my frame is thin and girlish.   :'(  I either take after my mom or I stunted my growth.

DIVISION

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2006, 02:04:57 AM »
uhm,  I took test at pretty high doses when I was 16 after the 4th week I felt like I was going to have a heart attack so I stopped.  No pct just andro and apparently I have grown about another inch or two since.  But my frame is thin and girlish.   :'(  I either take after my mom or I stunted my growth.

I don't see how you could have megadosed @ 16 and avoided some serious stuntage.  That's just insane......

sorry to hear that, Skrilla.....

DIV

king

• Getbig III
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2006, 06:36:31 AM »
question...  my buddy gave me superdrol about 2 months ago.. and i took mayyybe 15 pills.. at 10 mg each... just wondering if that could have any effect on my growth.. hopefully not! i'm 19 btw

DIVISION

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2006, 10:06:32 AM »
question...  my buddy gave me superdrol about 2 months ago.. and i took mayyybe 15 pills.. at 10 mg each... just wondering if that could have any effect on my growth.. hopefully not! i'm 19 btw

I have no idea.

I do know that it was completely stupid of you to take them though....

DIV

MarkyM

• Getbig III
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2006, 10:12:32 AM »
Hmmmm I really do not understand why you asked this after you takeing stuff.
Why dont you research arround ask what you wanna know or learn and after this decide what is good for you and what not.
Play it safe man,..rather be sure than sorry. It is never late for AS's.

king

• Getbig III
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2006, 04:00:27 PM »
well...i'm askin because i wnat to know the answer..obviously... yea it was stupid to take it, but i know that, i dont need to be told again.  i was just wondering if u thought it would have an effect on my growth plates or whatever

DIVISION

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2006, 11:27:44 AM »
well...i'm askin because i wnat to know the answer..obviously... yea it was stupid to take it, but i know that, i dont need to be told again.  i was just wondering if u thought it would have an effect on my growth plates or whatever

Everyone answered.....

YES.

DIV

king

• Getbig III
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2006, 02:15:51 PM »
damnit 15 pills over 2 weeks screwed me..cant believe it could do that, i dindt even feel it working, no sides nothin...

HickoryStick

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2006, 05:22:49 PM »
Sounds like Superdrol is to be avoided like the bubonic plague.   ::)

DIVISION

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2006, 01:33:25 AM »
Sounds like Superdrol is to be avoided like the bubonic plague.   ::)

^That's my thinking, but some kids on here are raving about gains on it.

I can't say for sure because it's not something I intend to use.

DIV

king

• Getbig III
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2006, 03:10:38 PM »
yep i have a bottle with 45 pills left..i plan on givin them away now, or maybe just throwin the shits away.

DIVISION

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2006, 10:43:02 PM »
yep i have a bottle with 45 pills left..i plan on givin them away now, or maybe just throwin the shits away.

Feed it to you girlfriend's dog or throw it to the birds.

Let them get some use out of it.

DIV