Author Topic: We have created alien life!  (Read 19526 times)

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
  • Rhetoric is the art of ruling the minds of men.
Re: We have created alien life!
« Reply #50 on: May 10, 2014, 03:31:49 AM »
So they created something from literally nothing?  Or did they alter something and spliced it together with something else to create something else altogether and that something else was "alive"?   Or what?

If they took absolutely nothing and made a tangible something that lived and breathed and was sentient, well...Cool!  If not, get back to me when they can do so and prove it.  If we are going to play at being God, then we had best do as we demand from God.

Prove it.   ;D
LOL.  What did God come from?

The absurdity of God Botherers mocking the concept of something from nothing, yet that is there claim to how god came about!  Just spontaneously appeared from absolutely nothing.  The problem is God Believers can't actually see what it is they are saying, it's as if they are blind to themselves, shut off from who and what they are.
V

syntaxmachine

• Getbig IV
« Reply #51 on: May 10, 2014, 04:41:43 AM »
Again, I don't see any pro-religious or anti-religious conclusions to be drawn from scientific discovery or application.  

Please explain in great detail how the schema [religion x claims y, science proves z and not y] -- one instantiated many times in the history of discovery -- does not allow one to draw any conclusions about religion.

e.g.

"Islam claims Muhammad flew round the night's sky on a horse; science proves horses don't fly"

or

"Christianity claims all biological properties are designer properties of a mindful designer, science proves they are the result of the non-random survival of random genetic variation"

and so on, ad infinitum.

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #52 on: May 10, 2014, 04:46:37 AM »
ugh, I was hoping they'd wait another 100 years for reaching this level of technology.

Scientists at The Scripps Research Institute (TSRI) have engineered a bacterium whose genetic material includes an added pair of DNA “letters,” or bases, not found in nature. The cells of this unique bacterium can replicate the unnatural DNA bases more or less normally, for as long as the molecular building blocks are supplied.

That's just great.  I've always imagined there would never be any virus that could wipe out 100% of life on earth... until we learned to create un-natural DNA.  Horrifying to think they could create a non-earth organism that can replicate.  Maybe it'll be like the BLOB, and just keep replicating, feeding on everything.  

I don't get into the religious argument... we're all idiots, none of us knows ANYTHING, let's be honest.  But creating DNA that can reproduce itself?  scary.

LOL, that's what I am thinking, it's going to be like splice and fuck my wife in front of me while adrien brody video tapes.

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #53 on: May 10, 2014, 04:50:26 AM »
Don't like the premise?  Too bad.  Make something that lives from nothing.  I mean absolutely nothing.  It is, for the greater part, what most people that have a faith in God believe happened.  So then, go ahead and create a living being and to make it easy it should be a single cell organism.   But first make a livable planet and atmosphere.   Now allow that single cell being to be, shall we say...fruitful and multiply.  Let it adapt to its environment and give it time to evolve into what you see in the mirror.  Better still, it has to adapt in many different ways so that from that first organism all life evolved into what we see now.

Take a billion years.  I'll wait.   ;D

Or take a cake mix, some eggs and a bit of milk.  Now throw it all against a wall.  "BIG BANG!"  Come see me in a week and let me know if you've got a cake yet.  Oh...You don't?  You say you need someone who can successfully combing all those simple ingredients and then bake it just so, so that it becomes a cake?  Someone "intelligent" enough to do so?  

As asinine as some people are (and at times that would include myself  ;D), I do find it very difficult to believe we are in fact, the "icing" on that cake known as the Earth.   And by the way, for the sake of this discussion I allowed you to not have to create your ingredients yourself.

As for you assumption that there has never been "nothing, ever" that is all it is.  An assumption.  A guess.  Neither you nor I can bear witness to the creation of all things.  To the beginning of life and much less to the beginning of time.  Don't flatter yourself.  A guess is a guess, even if it happens to be an educated one.

Be well.  But also be polite.   ;D

Your stipulations make it impossible, so you want someone to create something out of thin air? withour starting materials? that's called magic, doesn't exist. Matter has alwyas existed, whether in the form of energy etc and the building blocks were always here. MATTER CANNOT BE CREATED NOR DESTROYED, SINCE IT EXISTS, IT HAS ALWAYS EXISTED SINCE IT CANNOT BE CREATED.

Explain how we have matter? God did it? why can't matter be eternal? why do you need intelligence?is a virus intelligent? is it alive?

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #54 on: May 10, 2014, 04:53:56 AM »
Please explain in great detail how the schema [religion x claims y, science proves z and not y] -- one instantiated many times in the history of discovery -- does not allow one to draw any conclusions about religion.

e.g.

"Islam claims Muhammad flew round the night's sky on a horse; science proves horses don't fly"

or

"Christianity claims all biological properties are designer properties of a mindful designer, science proves they are the result of the non-random survival of random genetic variation"

and so on, ad infinitum.

Exactly. Just look how shitty the eye is as well, fucking glasses are needed by nearly everyone, some great fucking design. Or how about our dicks? we fuck and excrete from the same hole, why? it's stupid. Dolphins don't worry about choking to death on food since they have a blow hole, humans, nope, many will die just from eating, BRILLIANT JESUS, good job.

I love the way he made the earth using tectonics, earthquakes are a joy of life!

phreak

• Getbig V
  • Food is amazing
« Reply #55 on: May 10, 2014, 05:56:00 AM »
Your stipulations make it impossible, so you want someone to create something out of thin air? withour starting materials? that's called magic, doesn't exist. Matter has alwyas existed, whether in the form of energy etc and the building blocks were always here. MATTER CANNOT BE CREATED NOR DESTROYED, SINCE IT EXISTS, IT HAS ALWAYS EXISTED SINCE IT CANNOT BE CREATED.

Matter is easy to destroy, only energy cannot be destroyed. Probably you are conflating matter with subatomic particles?

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: May 10, 2014, 06:14:29 AM »
Matter is easy to destroy, only energy cannot be destroyed. Probably you are conflating matter with subatomic particles?

yes, in a sense, matter doesn't get destroyed the energy from the bonds are altered into another form. You are correct.

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #57 on: May 10, 2014, 08:06:11 AM »
LOL.  What did God come from?

The absurdity of God Botherers mocking the concept of something from nothing, yet that is there claim to how god came about!  Just spontaneously appeared from absolutely nothing.  The problem is God Believers can't actually see what it is they are saying, it's as if they are blind to themselves, shut off from who and what they are.

Why hello, child. 

I have no idea where God came from and I would be a fool to claim as much.  Man you are one dumb ass.  Unlike others here I don't work well with self made retards so run along whilst the adults discuss things that are way above your mental pay grade.  Should you ever choose to behave then I will treat you as an adult.  Until then, go take a nap.

Tito24

• Getbig V
  • I'm a large man but.. one with a plan
« Reply #58 on: May 10, 2014, 08:17:04 AM »

The Scott

• Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: May 10, 2014, 08:25:03 AM »

Explain how we have matter? God did it? why can't matter be eternal? why do you need intelligence?is a virus intelligent? is it alive?

Two hundred years ago, powered flight was impossible.  
I cannot explain how we have matter, but does that really matter?  No, but it would be fascinating to know, would it not?  John told me once when scientists decided to explain the darkness of what appeared to be empty space, they  (the scientists) called it "dark matter".  John called it "doesn't matter".  A supposition based upon a whim?  Perhaps.  Perhaps not but the reality of it is that it's dark in space.  Is a closet with the door shut and the light off filled with "dark matter" or just void of light?  

As for the other gentleman's comparison of dolphins having a blow hole and people don't so we choke on our food.  Dolphins live in the ocean, men don't.  Whales have the same setup as dolphins.  Amazing, huh?  I cannot explain everything in the world and while science may try and succeed (or fail) on many levels it cannot explain it all.  

I have long thought the Bible was written for what I would call "children".  Whoever started this mess we call Earth is so far above us that we are as babies to him/her/it (that's to keep the PC folks "happy".  As if...  ;D ).  As I have said before, do we tell our children everything before their time?  That is, before they have reached a level where they are capable of understanding what we are telling them?

No.  They needed to gain in, shall we say, "intelligence".  I will say this.  "Religion" (which I don't have) has done much to keep mankind down, if you will.  "Faith" has done much to inspire mankind as well as give us hope.  How so?  Man has always wondered at Creation and desired to know who started it all.   Those with faith call this "God".  Science calls it "chance".

I will not belittle those that believe in chance but that does not mean I must accept it as Scientific Gospel.  Mankind seems to grow smarter with each generation or so.  Perhaps one day soon within our lifetime we will know enough to be shown even more.  

As before, be well and thanks for being civil.   ;D I do appreciate it.

The Scott

• Getbig V

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #61 on: May 10, 2014, 09:43:16 AM »
LOL, that's what I am thinking, it's going to be like splice and fuck my wife in front of me while adrien brody video tapes.

that worry has kept me up many a night.

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #62 on: May 10, 2014, 11:16:40 AM »
I cannot explain how we have matter, but does that really matter?  No, but it would be fascinating to know, would it not?  John told me once when scientists decided to explain the darkness of what appeared to be empty space, they  (the scientists) called it "dark matter".  John called it "doesn't matter".  A supposition based upon a whim?  Perhaps.  Perhaps not but the reality of it is that it's dark in space.  Is a closet with the door shut and the light off filled with "dark matter" or just void of light?  

We simply don't know, space appears to be a superfluid (we are testing this now) so it's not empty nor a vaccum etc. Also, I side with reason, for example name one finding in history that the answer has been supernatural? none, zero, the universe behaves rationally, math works, we have laws in physics, you are suggesting that natural order was suspended despite all the evidence to the contrary ie all of human hisotry.

As for the other gentleman's comparison of dolphins having a blow hole and people don't so we choke on our food.  Dolphins live in the ocean, men don't.  Whales have the same setup as dolphins.  Amazing, huh?  I cannot explain everything in the world and while science may try and succeed (or fail) on many levels it cannot explain it all.  
why can't we have blowholes? why can't we have a better design, the design is poor. If we were creating a robot, the human form would be a rough sketch.

I have long thought the Bible was written for what I would call "children".  Whoever started this mess we call Earth is so far above us that we are as babies to him/her/it (that's to keep the PC folks "happy".  As if...  ;D ).  As I have said before, do we tell our children everything before their time?  That is, before they have reached a level where they are capable of understanding what we are telling them?

No.  They needed to gain in, shall we say, "intelligence".  I will say this.  "Religion" (which I don't have) has done much to keep mankind down, if you will.  "Faith" has done much to inspire mankind as well as give us hope.  How so?  Man has always wondered at Creation and desired to know who started it all.   Those with faith call this "God".  Science calls it "chance".

Science claims the exact opposite of chance, it says the world in understandable and events reproducible, chance isn't something that is embraced. Ever hear of alpha levels for statistical analysis? .05% chance of nuisance results, chance is miminized. You are mis representing science in the form of a straw man.

I will not belittle those that believe in chance but that does not mean I must accept it as Scientific Gospel.  Mankind seems to grow smarter with each generation or so.  Perhaps one day soon within our lifetime we will know enough to be shown even more.  

No one beleives in chance, with the right conditions life appears inevitable. Life comes in many forms, the moon titan has a vast underwater ocean with hydrothermal vents, life probably exists their.

God could exist, but he isn't in on the joke, unless he is stupid.

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #63 on: May 10, 2014, 11:17:21 AM »
that worry has kept me up many a night.

splice monster was all like horny, wife's like what do you want, he says "inside you".

Extra DNA base pairs, not even once.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
« Reply #64 on: May 10, 2014, 02:41:44 PM »
Sure, chief. I respect you on here and off. That your beliefs clash sharply with mine has no impact on that at all. At least you're humble.

Well I think you're a good egg too.

I'm going through an unfortunate period now in which i'm completely ending all discussion with a select group on this board that I've been speaking with for years now.   I won't name names....they know who they are.  I don't prefer it but it's necessary for me. I keep the board members in general in my prayers and a few I speak to privately I pray for specifically.  Lot of pain on this board.  A lot of folks that belief that have spoken to me privately.   I pray the Lord raises them up for his divine purposes.  For others that disagree but are respectful (such as yourself) communication is wide open with me and welcome.

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
« Reply #65 on: May 10, 2014, 02:46:09 PM »

Lol!!! End of debate.  8)

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #66 on: May 10, 2014, 02:46:31 PM »
Looks good.

catracho

• Getbig IV
  • I don't want to be "that guy"!
« Reply #67 on: May 10, 2014, 03:12:17 PM »
So they spliced together dna from existing life and you guys act like they made something out of thin air?  This is incredible scientific research, that will hopefully lead to something better for mankind, just like 40years ago when the first heart transplant took place. But you aren't conving any Christians with this. lol

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #68 on: May 10, 2014, 03:19:16 PM »
So, I hope that they have engineered a control or counter measure to fight this bacterium. You know, evolution is a tricky thing, just look at what is happening with the Tasmanian Devil and the cancers that are forming on specimens faces. They might be wiped out.

catracho

• Getbig IV
  • I don't want to be "that guy"!
« Reply #69 on: May 10, 2014, 03:23:28 PM »
They should take DNA fom some of the GBrs, that would be God like! lol

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #70 on: May 10, 2014, 10:43:48 PM »

e.g.

or

and so on, ad infinitum.

Science proves z w/o disproving y?  
No, I do think the horses flied.  
How am I become the religion defender guy?

Yeah, displacing God from the gaps can errode particular religions' credibility but I don't equate that to proof of non-existence.  Neither do I have data that demonstrates divine existence, so that's why my default position of non-belief.

It's always the same with this stuff.  The athiests claim the science supports thier position, and the religious claim it supports theirs.  I'm unable to draw any inferences about something super-physical from explanations of physical phenomena.  Reasoning that tries to do so strikes me as unsound.

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #71 on: May 11, 2014, 03:19:17 AM »
So they spliced together dna from existing life and you guys act like they made something out of thin air?  This is incredible scientific research, that will hopefully lead to something better for mankind, just like 40years ago when the first heart transplant took place. But you aren't conving any Christians with this. lol

No, in fact no one in the real world of thinking people cares about religion, they did this study and never once thought about god the implications etc. it's a fairy tale, no one wants to convince christians, you guys are out to lunch to be frank.

the emphasis was mine if ever it existed.

theredeemer

• Getbig III
« Reply #72 on: May 11, 2014, 03:34:16 AM »
http://scitechdaily.com/scientists-engineer-first-living-organism-expanded-genetic-alphabet/

Basically they created a living organism with unique DNA bases (amongst the common) this shows that creating life is easy peasy and that there is nothing special about our DNA, nor the bases, life can form in a infinite amount of ways (conjecture here).

We are gods.

Please explain to me professor retardo, how creating life off of the back of life, makes us gods ***rolls eyes***

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
  • Rhetoric is the art of ruling the minds of men.
« Reply #73 on: May 11, 2014, 04:43:38 AM »
Well I think you're a good egg too.

I'm going through an unfortunate period now in which i'm completely ending all discussion with a select group on this board that I've been speaking with for years now.   I won't name names....they know who they are.  I don't prefer it but it's necessary for me. I keep the board members in general in my prayers and a few I speak to privately I pray for specifically.  Lot of pain on this board.  A lot of folks that belief that have spoken to me privately.   I pray the Lord raises them up for his divine purposes.  For others that disagree but are respectful (such as yourself) communication is wide open with me and welcome.

You have always been one of the better people to discuss the issue with MOS.  Like you I have slowly drifted away from discussing the really heavy stuff anymore with anyone here.  I think for me the process of doing so was to solidify what was already a strong position I held.  I have got to the point where I am happy believing what I do, couldn't really give a fuck about what others believe, although I still throw in a condescending remark here and there (because I do think belief in God is ridiculous. not to mention pointless and on closer inspection borderline absurd), but there comes a time when you just have to live and let live.  

Mind you, in the real world, when I meet people who have strong faith or are even rigidly evangelical, I make every attempt to avoid them and I do tend to view them with suspicion and a hint of derision.  But that's just me, it's fortunate then I live in a pretty much atheist community who also views religion with contempt and ridicule. I think if I lived in a bible belt type of community I would either attempt to flee or neck myself, the thought of having to endure such a closed minded, rigid lifestyle scares the crap out of me, it's a good thing religious people don't know any better.  I watched my best friend growing up endure a strict religious upbringing at it wan;t pretty, he barely survived it.  Fortunately for him he become a devout atheist.
V

forillagorilla

• Getbig IV
« Reply #74 on: May 11, 2014, 05:08:37 AM »
Sure, people react to things in all sorts of kooky ways.  Doesn't mean there are religious implications inherent in the findings.  It's just people bending themselves out of shape.  Like those who think The Theory of Relativity means moral relativity and I'm like

Science isn't responsible for how athiests/christians/whoever react and how emotional they become.  It just wants the facts.

And your like -dude what?  - lol. You truly are a pussy.  I mean you know like the thing chicks have -